Lessons from your family that stuck with you most

Pea-n-Me

DIS Veteran
You may have seen my posts which talk about both of my parents spending their formative years in the Great Depression period. Waste not, want not was a way of life for me growing up, and it sticks with me today. Same with DH. Our kids didn’t stand a chance, lol.

Another one for me was education. My mother, along with a friend, left high school early because they didn’t have nice clothes to wear to school. She regretted that decision all her life, and drilled it into my head that I needed to complete my education.

What lessons from your family (or friends) drive part of who you are today? And what is it that you pass along to your own kids?

“Don’t trust anybody. Not even your mother.”
-My mother
(She’s a decent honest person, but dang!) (trying not to pass this one down.)

“You have to have money to make money.”
-Dad
Definitely passing this one along.

Give generously. They didn’t have a lot but they never felt the lack of anything they gave with an open heart. Same with serving - even dog-tired from their own responsibilities they always found the time and energy to lend someone else a hand and there was a lot of joy in it. Both these things are very high values for DH and I too.

I learned that moderation is the key to most things. Food, alcohol, spending, etc. To not smoke or use drugs, because it just eats away at your money. To live life, and to not stay in a bad situation.

DH says he learned he had to work hard for everything, and to keep it, he had to stay away from his family.

I asked DS what he thought, and he said "I do the right thing, even if it's not always the best for me, and that you and dad and *sister* will always be there for me" (The do the right thing is something we have drilled into our kids since they were little. And I am so glad he knows we are all here for him."

Ketchup makes most things taste better.

Learn to laugh and make time to do something fun. Otherwise you will die young. That was advice given to me by 2 pediatric surgeons at 15 years old when I worked in the PICU.
Love this. We are diligent workers but there’s always something else that needs doing. Screw it - it’ll keep while we have some fun and share time with each other and those that are important to us. :goodvibes

Listen to the other point of view and don't be afraid of people who are different from you. Gay, straight, black, white. We're all human and all deserving of understanding. If you disagree speak up, don't be silent about injustice. Take care of others who need help, not just because they may be angels in human form, but because it's right and the moral thing to do.

Both of my parents have incredible work ethics. That definitely carried on to me and to my brood. All of my kids went to college and worked a job…two of them were in the military when getting their educations.

With that said, they also have the work hard, play hard mentality. Enjoy your friends and family. Travel, drink good wine, eat good food with good people. Be generous with what you’re received and give back to your community.

You may have seen my posts which talk about both of my parents spending their formative years in the Great Depression period. Waste not, want not was a way of life for me growing up, and it sticks with me today. Same with DH. Our kids didn’t stand a chance, lol.

Pretty much my parents. The importance of saving money first, playing second because you never know what will happen. My dad died of cancer when I was 9 and had two years to get his affairs in order. While he never got the enjoyment of spending his savings, he took great comfort in knowing my mom and I would never want for anything we might need. Mom outlived him by 46 years and never wanted for anything. And she set up her IRA distributions to transfer to me for the rest of my life. I use that money to pay for Long Term Care insurance for my wife and I so we won't be a financial burden on our kids is we need care.

MOM:
How much of a discount do I get for paying cash?
How long is the warranty?

DAD:
Everything I have but my wife and child are for sale for the right price.
If you can't afford to pay cash for a car, you don't need a new car yet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter