Life After Marathons: A Running/barre3/Coffee/Life Journal

Long story short ... everyone seems to think that I'm very much needed, but nobody seems to know what I'm supposed to be doing (or if they do, nobody sees a reason to tell me). I've basically been sitting around making up my own work to do because I don't know what to work on.
I assume it will get better once I have an actual assignment, but I'm not convinced that that will ever happen. I tried to ask my boss yesterday, and his response was to tell me what my team is working on (which I already knew from my morning scrum), but not what my role in the project is (and my team didn't seem to know that either).
It's just really frustrating.
I just want to say, hang in there! It sounds like starting a new job (or at least what it can be like where I work in engineering). We just hired a new guy, and he keeps getting little things to do that don’t take very long and continues to look for more work, but because no new projects have come up recently, it is just a really slow start. I seem to remember it being like that when I started also. It just took a while for things to really get rolling, but they did, and they will hopefully will for you too.

I just want to say, hang in there! It sounds like starting a new job (or at least what it can be like where I work in engineering). We just hired a new guy, and he keeps getting little things to do that don’t take very long and continues to look for more work, but because no new projects have come up recently, it is just a really slow start. I seem to remember it being like that when I started also. It just took a while for things to really get rolling, but they did, and they will hopefully will for you too.

Thank you. I hope you're right... I was just excited to get started, so the slow start is rough. But they just added me to the Github team, so ... things might be picking up.

EDIT: I know I said on Monday that I got a team. This is something different- Github is where we're hosting the code for a particular project that we're working on, and being added that that team means that I can work on that project.

Last edited:
United Airlines NYC Half Marathon: Race Plans, Part 1

Hey look, it's a race update!
I'm kind of in a weird semi-taper place right now. According to the plan, taper starts at about 7AM tomorrow, but tomorrow's tempo may become an easy run due to snow-related treadmill issues (I can't tempo run on the treadmill), and if that's the case, I'm probably already in taper. It's very confusing.
Anyway ... on to the exciting stuff.

Getting My Stuff:

Bib and shirt pickup will be Thursday, Friday, and Saturday at the United Airlines NYC Half Experience Presented by New Balance, which is somewhere on West 18th Street. My office is on Broadway and 9th Street. So it's a little bit of a far walk, but close enough that I don’t know that I’d take the subway.

The "Experience" is open Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, so the plan is to go after work on Thursday. If I end up having plans that day, I’ll take a long lunch and head over then, but I’d rather go after work because that gives me more time to browse and see what’s going on (I don’t know if there will be vendors there or fun things or free stuff, so I want the time to get the lay of the land).

Outfit:
If you remember the outfit discussions from my last race, this will not surprise you.

The planned outfit for this race is …
upload_2018-3-7_21-41-7.png

If it’s too warm for that jacket, I have a plain white shirt that I wear (it’s actually underneath the jacket in the above picture). The outfit will then look a little something like this …

upload_2018-3-7_21-41-50.png

(Although probably still with leggings, not capris … just not sure what leggings because all of my black leggings are fleece-lined and that might be a little warm)

Side Note: This will be my last race in my current shoes, as they only have about 50-75 miles left, and my next race is a 4-miler (so I'll wear my short-run shoes). Not sure what I’m doing about my next pair of shoes … I don’t know if I should hold out and see if they’re coming out with the 880v8 soon or if I should just buy the v7. But whatever. I can wait a few weeks to figure that out.

Getting To The Race:
My dad will be driving me to the race. I’m in Wave 2, which means I don’t start until 8:15am. Bag Check closes at 7:35am, so I think I’m planning to show up around 7ish in case the bag check line is super long. I think I’m aiming to leave the house around 6:30ish.

The only thing I don’t know is if we will have to deal with road closures. I think it will depend on what route we take – there are definitely ways we can go that road closures won’t be an issue. I just have to hope that Waze understands the need to avoid Flatbush Ave (which is where I assume the road closures will be, as the race goes down Flatbush Ave).

Race Goals:
All goal discussion is currently preliminary, but the number that Coach DB gave me is 11:10 min/mile average pace (which also happens to be the average pace from the tempo portion of my last long run). If I’m doing my math right, that’s a time of 2:26:17.
My current half PR is 2:31:08. So if I can stick to (or at least close to) my planned pace, that’s a PR for sure. PR was not originally a goal for this race (although “PR for a race that includes Central Park” has been for a little bit), so … that’s nice.

We’ll see how it goes. I am probably going to want to take pictures during this race (which is why my original goal was very slow), but I think I should be able to do that without stopping, since I can just push a button on my phone and tell my digital assistant to take a picture. (I took a bunch of pictures during my Rangers 5K in November, and that’s my 5K PR, so I think I can probably take some pictures and run a PR at the same time.)

Post-Race:
Based on the map, there’s a lot of walking post-race. I don’t really have any plans for the day, so I’ll either get my medal engraved (see below) or just head home.

My usual post-half “breakfast” is an Uncrustable (remember … this is a judgement-free zone). But we’re out of Uncrustables and I don’t want to buy more right now. So … no idea what my post-race breakfast will be. But I will definitely head to Starbucks for my post-race latte. And I will use the bathroom at Starbucks. Even if I don’t feel like I have to. Because I only make the same mistake about 15,000 times.

Medal Engraving:
Like my last NYRR half, medal engraving is free for NYRR members (it’s also free for myNB Rewards Gold Members … so it’s like twice free for me). They’re doing it Sunday from 10am to 5pm, Monday from 12pm to 7pm, and Tuesday from 4pm to 7pm. Last time I went during the day on Monday, so there really wasn’t much of a wait. I don’t have that luxury this time. Since the race exit area is right near the NYRR RUNCenter, I might go post-race, but if I don’t feel like doing that, I’ll try to go after work on Monday. I know it’ll be crowded since a lot of people will be going after work, but … hopefully it won’t be too bad.

And finally, for those of you interested in my progress:
Track & Watch Me:
Once I have my bib number, I’ll post it here, along with a link for tracking.

There will be nationwide streaming of the race on ESPN3,WatchESPN, and the ESPN app from 7:00am to 9:00am. Don’t expect to see me on that.

There is also apparently a Find Your Finish camera, which is available live and on-demand on abc7NY.com (NYC) and ESPN3 (nationwide) from 8:10am to 11:10am. Not sure how that will work, but you might be able to see me on that.

So ... that's the update. I'll probably have some more mini-updates over the next week, and I may have a big update at the end of next week if anything exciting happens. Until then ... yeah.

So much excitement in this post! I absolutely adore that skirt. I know you are going to do great and can't wait to read about your new PR!

Sarah, just wanted you to know that I have been following along on your journal and I love the whole vibe of it. Your attitude is awesome and your sarcasm/snarkyness is perfect! It is like listening to a friend to read your updates. I am terrible about commenting though!

Your job sounds great, although that is a completely foreign language to me! I majored in accounting! Starting a job is always slow, I'm sure things will pick up. I also hate being bored and always go around looking for things to do, which isn't always fun.

So much excitement in this post! I absolutely adore that skirt. I know you are going to do great and can't wait to read about your new PR!

Thank You! I always get a lot of comments about that skirt.
I'm excited to hopefully write all about my new PR soon!

LOVE LOVE LOVE the skirt!

Thank you! (I do too)

Sarah, just wanted you to know that I have been following along on your journal and I love the whole vibe of it. Your attitude is awesome and your sarcasm/snarkyness is perfect! It is like listening to a friend to read your updates. I am terrible about commenting though!

Thanks for following along and for your kind words! Commenting can be tough, so I totally get being terrible about it ... but it's nice to know that you're reading along!

Your job sounds great, although that is a completely foreign language to me! I majored in accounting! Starting a job is always slow, I'm sure things will pick up. I also hate being bored and always go around looking for things to do, which isn't always fun.

It's not so much a foreign language as a computer language ... Most of my job is in JavaScript :)

I will definitely be tracking you next weekend! :magnify:

:) Hopefully the tracking will show you some exciting numbers!

Long story short ... everyone seems to think that I'm very much needed, but nobody seems to know what I'm supposed to be doing (or if they do, nobody sees a reason to tell me). I've basically been sitting around making up my own work to do because I don't know what to work on.
I assume it will get better once I have an actual assignment, but I'm not convinced that that will ever happen. I tried to ask my boss yesterday, and his response was to tell me what my team is working on (which I already knew from my morning scrum), but not what my role in the project is (and my team didn't seem to know that either).
It's just really frustrating.

I'm goofing off and cruising through training journals and saw this post.

I've been a software developer for a LONG time. I can say that what you are describing is standard operating procedure.

Oh God we need more People! More people come. More people sit around not knowing what to do because everyone is too busy to tell them. And if they did tell them, nothing is documented, so they don't know how to do it anyway.

Make your own busy work. Example: Hmmm, we make the same edit to the same file 10 times by hand. Could I automate that?

Pay attention on the scrum for opportunities, like busy old guy complaining that he is too busy to do some trivial task. You have to walk the thin line of volunteering for administrative tasks and trivial technical tasks.

Hang in there, make yourself useful, it will work out.

Software development has been very-very good to me!

PM me if you want to talk software development (not technology, since ours are probably decades apart!)

Your skirt couldn’t be more perfect! Excited for you- you’ll do great!!

A note on the job thing... I think it is very common in all new jobs to have a bit of a slow start. I honestly probably wasn’t doing the full capacity of my job for 6 months. Hang in there :)

I'm goofing off and cruising through training journals and saw this post.

I've been a software developer for a LONG time. I can say that what you are describing is standard operating procedure.

Oh God we need more People! More people come. More people sit around not knowing what to do because everyone is too busy to tell them. And if they did tell them, nothing is documented, so they don't know how to do it anyway.

Make your own busy work. Example: Hmmm, we make the same edit to the same file 10 times by hand. Could I automate that?

Pay attention on the scrum for opportunities, like busy old guy complaining that he is too busy to do some trivial task. You have to walk the thin line of volunteering for administrative tasks and trivial technical tasks.

Hang in there, make yourself useful, it will work out.

Software development has been very-very good to me!

PM me if you want to talk software development (not technology, since ours are probably decades apart!)

Thanks for the insight and advice. (I don't remember if I knew that you're a software developer, but either way ... it's good to hear from someone who's been doing this a lot longer than I have.)

I'm starting to get the feeling that they're in a period of huge overhaul right now, redesigning pretty much everything, so I think part of the problem is just that nobody really knows what's going on. I have a meeting on Monday (and I was supposed to have a meeting on Friday, but I missed it because I keep forgetting to check my email), so hopefully I will get some clarity then. I've also been working on a project for a different team that's been keeping me busy (hence the forgetting to check my email), which is good.
I'm just one of those "super organized always plans for everything" people, so it was hard to not really know what was going on and what I could do. But it's good to know that this is the norm in the industry and it's not just that I ended up in a bad situation.

And considering the fact that I do Fullstack Javascript, which wasn't even an option 10 years ago ... our technology is probably very different :)

Your skirt couldn’t be more perfect! Excited for you- you’ll do great!!

Thank you!

A note on the job thing... I think it is very common in all new jobs to have a bit of a slow start. I honestly probably wasn’t doing the full capacity of my job for 6 months. Hang in there :)

Thanks. I just kinda wanted to hit the ground running ... but I guess it's normal for things to be slow. It looks like things are starting to pick up ... hopefully that trend will continue.

Guys .... I made an oopsie.
I forgot that I don't like straight up espresso, so I got an espresso from the coffee machine at work. Then I tasted it, remembered that I don't like it that much, and covered it in milk.

Please don't disown me! I won't do it again!

I think it looks nice but I am not sure what previous NYC Half medals look like to compare.

This was last year's medal:
nychalfmedal.jpg

I think my favorite is the 2015 medal ...
img_4848.jpg

It has an almost Epcot-ish thing going on.

Yeah, I saw someone say "Spaceship Earth" in the comments on the Instagram post.
To me it looks more like the NYE ball drop ball (which I'm guessing is what they were going for, since the race goes through Times Square and the medal reveal pictures were taken in Times Square)

I guess if I really hate it in person I can just paint it white and call it Spaceship Earth...

Hmm, I get the NYE Ball Drop thought...and it makes sense but I still think it’s a Spaceship Earth medal. ::yes:: like you said, just paint it (preferably while enjoying a delicious coffee) and voila!

Hmm, I get the NYE Ball Drop thought...and it makes sense but I still think it’s a Spaceship Earth medal. ::yes:: like you said, just paint it (preferably while enjoying a delicious coffee) and voila!

I wonder if I could paint it white, wear it to Disney, and then try to convince people that they missed the "Spaceship Earth Half Marathon Weekend" ... (too mean?)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter