List of cuts, changes, and closures now online

You know... you may be right. My gaff.... In any event, the parades at DAK and Epcot use the same performers. Changing the first parade's time to 4 saves a bit of money... other than that, refer to my earlier post... What did I see at 2???

It looks like there is one more new cut that I missed: WDWmagic.com reports that the ride portion of The Living Seas is now bypassed.

*****ing and moaning will not help WDW through this time when people aren't traveling...you know, maybe WDW deserves a bailout like the airlines

I'm sorry....Spending more time & money in WDW is not going to restore any of the things we've lost. Disney will just realize the profits and keep them for themselves. I hate to do this....but there's a new way to describe Ei$ner's company.....

The Walt DI$NEY Co.

I'm sure Walt's proud of what his company has become.

Also, the airlines deserve bailout money in my eyes because at least they are trying to drum up business.....I had to purchase my airfare to Orlando a week before I left (my original flight on Midway was cancelled). I was not only able to get a flight....but it was the cheapest I've ever flown. It's a two way street. The airlines are hurting because they are cutting prices while incurring an addittional cost (increased security). WDW is hurting because they are keeping prices at the status quo while cutting the amenities.

Chad...I stand by my original statement. Just what is the Di$ney company doing to entice customers to head to florida? Does cutting park hours make you pack your bags? Does closing attractions make you run out to the airport?

It has lowered hotel rooms
please show me this discount code. I spoke with RCO at least a dozen times before I left and they were insulted that I even asked. One person told me "We would never try to profit from a tragedy such as 911". I tried to get some type of discount and was rejected. All I was offered was the rack rate at the moderates.

I agree that Disney is quite unique and I love the company tremendously. That's why all of this bothers me so much. I don't expect WDW to keep things as they were but I do hear a lot about how management hasn't cut costs from within in any way except at the lower levels of the company. In any company I've been at, all levels were subjected to cost cutting.

Disney is not an inferior product as compared to other forms of entertainment but it has become inferior to what it once was, at least temporarily. This may be unavoidable right now but one of the reasons that Disney has the famous Magic in my opinion is the high level of service and the ability to completely immerse oneself in the Disney environment. This is why I've been willing to pay a premium for the pleasure of going to WDW again and again. If that goes away, I see no reason to stay onsite unless lower prices reflect the new lower standards. I guess that I still want the Disney experience but not at the current cost. And, I also haven't had any luck getting discounts for some reason.

But the main issue I have is that Disney seems to be suffering due to lack of attendance. How are cutbacks such as these going to lure the traveler back to WDW? I understand that many of the other areas that were hard hit by the recent tragedies are working on incentives to bring the tourists back. What exactly is WDW doing other than making themselves less appealing?

The lowered hotel room I refered to was based on the earlier post that AllStars have been lowered in some cases to $39. I cannot confirm this but the source is pretty reliable.

Try to book it. Unless it's an AP discount (which were around before 911) it's not existant.

Frankly, with they continued anthrax and other threats, I don't think deep discounts would do much to get people, already afraid to travel these days, to travel to WDW. Discounts are nice but I doubt they are a cure to travel anxiety..

But the cure to travel anxiety is to keep the prices sky high while providing a inferior product? How does that encourage travel?

P.S. It's not stopping other hotels around WDW. Check out Pete's post at the top of the thread. Why is it the other hotels in and around Disney feel a need to discount, but the Di$ney company doesn't?

So, HBK, get your head out of that Boston smog

It's not smog...it's dust from the Big Pig...er I mean Dig.

these changes, while frustrating and inconvenient, have not destroyed the value of even going to WDW. The parks are open. The resorts are meticulous. Many, many small extra pieces of magic exist throughout the world...my Massachusetts friend, I believe that East Coast air is quite thin these days...

They may not have totally destroyed the value of a WDW trip....but they have cheapened it. Can I ask a question....what is the value of staying on-site? Seeing some charaters @ the bus stop (which you'll see at the parks anyway)?

The problem is nothing has been cut which you personally like. You apparently didn't care much for the streetmosphere, or the EE days, or the shows which have been cancelled....wait until Disney cuts something which you value....and we'll see where you stand.

Disney is not an inferior product as compared to other forms of entertainment but it has become inferior to what it once was, at least temporarily.

Get used to it. Once the crowds come back...something tells me you won't be seeing EE come back....and during the off season, I think you'll start to see more of the reduced schedule (shows only performing on certain days, etc). Once the pandora's box is open, you can't shut it.

No one is disputing the necessity of cutbacks – but I think people are questioning where Disney’s priorities are. Each and every cut seems to be aimed at squeezing out more money from the few people who are willing to travel. And no one sees any attempt to make people WANT to come to WDW.

To be blunt – this is the same lack of respect that Disney has been showing its guest for several years now. They simply believe we will come no matter what, we will pay no matter what, and there will be people who will remain “loyal” no matter what. That philosophy may have served Mr. Pressler well when he was running the ‘Care Bears’ licensing company, but it is disastrous for Disney.

I have too much on my shoulders these days as it is. The burdens of Disney’s business are theirs alone. I owe them no loyalty, I owe them no obligation, I need not accept every change they make. While some may still find WDW a good value for their money, a growing number of people have not and the recent changes seem to have swelled those ranks. More than ever, I need a reason to travel to WDW.

Disney just doesn’t seem interested in providing any.

If they cared about their guests and underlings we wouldn't be talking about as many cuts. Case in point: VPs and higher are still getting their yearly perk of a new car (Cadillacs and Suburbans), free gas and car washes; they are still doing their executive retreats at the Ritz-Carlton with sailing excursions. Just like a lot of other companies, the Big Guys don't want to take a hit, even though it may be what is best in the long run. The reason people get upset about Disney doing these things is they try to portray themselves as being more than just "a business." They are DISNEY!!! It's like family!!!

I have APs to both Disneyland Parks, and WDW. Will I be renewing? Questionable... Whether we like it or not, sometimes complaint letters don't work, and actions speak louder than words.

Bests,
Amy

I’m willing to look at current decisions in a different light than the decisions they were making prior to 911. I can understand why some change may be prudent given the drop in overall attendance and new visitation dynamics. I don’t mind change as long as the goal isn’t how can we best reduce benefits to help balance the books. Change should be made to modify the value proposition so it remains relevant.

I’m not worried about the imprudence of these reductions shorterm. I doubt they will play a major role in the AVERAGE person’s current travel decisions compared with their safety and economic concerns. I assume a good share won’t even know about these until after they arrive. Now, whether this impacts their experience once there is a different story.

Disney must be trying hard to guess which is the lesser of evils here. This is probably a critical time for them to get feedback on what customers do and don’t like. The problem with complaining is that it is often done in a vacuum, since we don't know what other options were considered. They’re always conducting these polls on the Disney channel, maybe their Web site should have a few on potential park changes. It does seem clear that they need to rethink how changes are implemented and communicated. At least shorten the lag when they can be open with customers.

I do worry that when attendance returns to normal they will decide they can put a couple of these reductions in the bank. Scoop, I was surprised to hear you say advanced bookings are so soft. Gee, I would have thought the masses would be lining up to attend the DinoRama grand opening. Must be a PR problem.

If only other divisions in the company were doing well this would have been the perfect time for a little payback. You know, let their good results cover up for poor profits in the parks for a change. Maybe, than they wouldn’t have to make any reductions. Might have even changed some of my thinking about the value of being a division in a mega media conglomerate.

Has anyone tried booking a trip through the Walt Disney Travel Company recently?

I want to know if the "average" guest (the ones who don't know the tricks to getting a discount) is being quoted a discounted rate or if the answer to "do you have any discounts?" has been changed to anything other than "no, not at this time," even though if you ask for a specific discount they can find it.

Money can be a great motivator in overcoming fear. But if the "average" guest who is trying to book a 2002 vacation is still being quoted the 2002 rack prices, why travel to WDW, with everything that is going on, when you can go somewhere else that is offering significant discounts?

Fear may be a very real factor in people skipping WDW, but lack of easily obtainable discounts could be the "deal breaker."

Well its confirmed. I just received a call from a special CRO rep that confirmed that ALL 9:30 PM Hoop Dee Doo shows through Oct 31 have been cancelled. They are rescheduling everyone on the 5:00 & 7:15 shows. She indicated that they were manually redrawing the seating charts. As you may know seating at the Hoop Dee Doo and Polynesian Revue seating is decided by when you make your reservation. First reservations get best tables. They are attempting to redraw the seating to accommodate the cancelled guests original reservation date. Also since Amex specials were at 9:30 only they are accommodating Amex discounts at earlier shows for cancelled guests.

Originally posted by Another Voice
No one is disputing the necessity of cutbacks ? but I think people are questioning where Disney?s priorities are. Each and every cut seems to be aimed at squeezing out more money from the few people who are willing to travel. And no one sees any attempt to make people WANT to come to WDW.

More than ever, I need a reason to travel to WDW.
Disney just doesn?t seem interested in providing any.

When your business income drops dramatically, Disney understandably has to do something - you can either make cuts and try to save enough money to make up the difference, or you can do whatever it takes to attract more customers to make up the difference. In the short term, this may mean spending more money on various promotions and operating half-empty parks regular hours - but it will pay off when the crowds return (shortly). Deep cuts like we saw this weekend sends the signal that WDW isn't expecting the situation to improve anytime soon. Disney needs to spend a little more time figuring out ways to attract guests to it's resorts and parks, and a bit less time finding ways to save a buck (they've proven they know how to save money - now how about making money through investing in the parks). Both may well improve the bottom line this quarter, but making cuts with no new investment will only compound the problem in future years.

"Many businesses do reward 'loyal' customers with frequent guest programs. Disney chose not to do that."
Actually Florida residents (but FL residents only), do get quite good frequent guest benifits through the Annual Pass and Disney Dining Experience.
But I would agree that it would certainly be fair and 'rewarding' to offer something like, book 7 nights at any resort get 1 free and/or put a maximum price on the length of stay tickets (like 100 short of what an out-of-state annual pass would cost). This would help people justify staying as long as possible to take advantage of the 'free' days in the parks after 7 days.
From what I've heard, the MK is busy, but the other parks are deserted. And the MK seems even busier due to the cutbacks at the rides (not running at full capacity). This would reflect their actions.

I think Disney IS reacting to the worst case scenerio of what is going on, instead of 'short changing' the situation as most American's are doing. In other words, they are playing for long term viability rather than a short turn turnaround based on, well...Nothing. We are at war. Terrorism has reared its ugly head on our shores and as my friend Scoop keeps pointing out, the future is a great big blank. Disney could do, as my (also) good friend gcurling suggests, ignore the unknown and attempt to lure guests back in any manner available, but can Disney convince them to fly? Doubtful. Further, this course has huge inherent risks should they be wrong about the turnaround (read, the end of the Company). Now, this would mean little to some of our DIS friends, but the fact is, Disney is preparing for the long haul...In fact, they are trying to get out of the Fox Family deal anyway they can.

Disney is still Disney. I just got back from WDW and while AV may find little to draw him & others seem to hold nothing but disdain for anything Disney, I see it as a change that I have to personally react to. Certainly my planning will have to improve if I want to see specific shows and there may be disappointments in certain things that I want to do, but so what. It's still fun for my family. It's still magical for me. And having just returned from the AKL for the third time, I can still say that I was treated magically in an environment that I have never experienced anywhere else.

One last note, AK was also jammed Thur, Fri, Sat & Sun (as were the other, more reported Parks)...So, I guess we Floridians are still having fun, but the weekday miseries will continue. If you bemoan what is happening now, I hasten to come around when Park closures are initiated, and this too will happen if things continue to deteriorate (i.e. what if Smallpox is released???).
:smooth: :smooth: :bounce: :smooth: :smooth:

Originally posted by Captain Crook
Now, this would mean little to some of our DIS friends, but the fact is, Disney is preparing for the long haul...

I respectfully disagree with you on this point. After the implementation of FastPass and the opening of the Rock n Roller Coaster, Disney has done very little in terms of long-term investments in Florida. Mission: Space is the main exception to that trend
In fact, most everything they did was geared towards short-term profit in order to compensate for the losses other sectors of the company were incurring.

Disney cannot convince people to fly by offering discounts or opening new attractions, but they can certainly convince them to travel by train or car, which is a feasible alternative throughout much of the eastern US.

To me, how Disney behaved prior to 911 is moot. Those days are gone. The past is past and the future is totally unclear. In fact, I'd say it was a blessing in disguise that Disney went through the 'belt tightening' when they did instead of blindly building e-ticket rides as many would have had. This effort is probably saving their butts now.

Further, Disney isn't going to convince people to travel be it by plane, train or automobile in a climate of antrhax, smallpox or other unknown horrors that our government hasn't yet deemed us worthy of knowing.

Disney is absolutely doing the right thing by hunkering down and seeing their way through as best they can. Their actions will be rewarded or scorned dependent on whatever comes down the road next...And I for one don't know what that is. But having just returned from AKL, I can say that my trip was great, security checkpoints and all!

It's great that we can disagree without resorting to flames or accusations- I appreciate that! Thank you for the healthy discussion.

I believe our main difference lies in the perception of the consequences of the September 11 attacks, and only time can tell whose approach is closer to reality.

wdwguide, I too, appreciate the reasonable approach - although my friend Landbaron rarely uses "reasonable" & "Captain Crook" in the same paragraph!

We can continue to disagree on Disney...But perhaps we shouldn't discuss the Gators & 'Canes???;)

I heard that WITHOUT ANY NOTICE, they cut out all the EVEN holes in the recently completed Disney golf tournament?!?

;) of course.

I would have to agree with the Captain, here.
Luckily, Disney only had 2 long term projects in the works (Pop Culture and Mission: Space) when this happened, other wise they (and therefore we) would have been victims of this as well. I
wonder if I bring a hammer and some nails if they'd let me stay at the Pop Culture for free?!?

Regarding new attractions, isnt mission space being paid for mainly by the sponser and not wdw???
When you compare what they have done to their competition ie Universal wdw has taken a back seat of late.
RNRcoaster is a ok ride but isnt as good as the Hulk/DD. Disney hasnt attempted anything remotely comparable to Spiderman or Men in Black.
WDW is using its reputation to get visitors but not adding any thing that is new and would make people want to return to see it, and now with the cutbacks their is less reason to return, and escpecially to stay on site. There is a saying pennywise and pound foolish and wdw may be saving money in the stort term but their actions will cause long term losses when things turn around and the good will they built up is lost. Already my younger children 16yoa and 9 yoa perfer universal and nothing disney is doing will encourage them to change their mind and my youngest 5yoa watches nick alot more then the disney channel which doesnt do alot to inspire confidence. And i have also lost confidence in wdw, i think wdw needs to change their direction and should start at the top by replacing eisner with somebody new.
With eisner in charge im not optimistic about the future of wdw, he has had his time but time has passed him by and he needs to be replaced! I felt this before 9/11 and feel it more so now!
It should be by Bob O, i forgot to log off my wife.

And when things return to normal do you think wdw will return everything they have reduced/eliminated or will they only return a portion of the items they cut back/eliminated??? It seems once things are cut back they are never returned to there former glory. I think things will slowly return but wont be returned in its entirety and will again be used to save money and reduce the guest experience>

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter