LIVE REPORT! Watch My Hair Frizz In Real Time! Win a Prize!

Wow, what a day!! Sorry you didn't manage the 4 park challenge...but not much fun in the pouring rain. Glad you made your reservation though. I have mixed feelings about the charging for missed ADR's thing...it's true that it stops people taking all the good reservations if they don't intend to keep them...but they should I think give you more time to cancel - like maybe a few hours before. The places would still fill up I'm sure and Disney wouldn't lose any money..but what do I know. Also - that's an ordeal a bit getting there...you'd think that when paying deluxe prices you shouldn't also have to shell out for cabs if you don't want to miss your ADR....sigh. Sorry to complain on your TR lol. Still an amazing Disney day as always and I wish I was there :) Enjoying your report.

I slept in this morning until 7:30 but here I am dutifully reporting from the vanity area of room 5065.What I won’t do for my three readers for I am sure they are dropping like flies. Here I dangle a 25 point question in front of you and I only get a couple guesses. Do you want me to just hand Ponzi this thing??

Ok, so, dinner at Sanaa…

We arrived at our table for 10! Yay! They put us together. It was definitely worth the wait. We all knew we wanted the bread service with all the dipping sauces so we ordered that right away.

Our waiter was very attentive and he seemed to give us honest opinions about the various menu items because he didn’t hold back if he didn’t think something was great. I knew I wanted two of the slow cooked in gravy items but wanted his opinion on which were best. He recommended butter chicken. I asked if there was spicy item to counterbalance it and he said the Durban Shrimp was spicy but it wasn’t his favorite.

Well, this puts me in a quandary. I still want to order it if it’s the only spicy item but will that insult him? Will he even care anyway?

The dining plan people among us ordered the surf and turf which is the most expensive thing on the menu. I do miss that aspect of being on the dining plan. It was fun to see how big a bill you could rack up and then not have to pay. But I also got pretty sick of eating steak.

Monkston was disappointed that she didn’t see an adult entrée that appealed to her so she ordered the kids’ pizza on naan bread. At least they made it a little exotic.

The bread service arrived and didn’t disappoint. The naan bread is soft and chewy with little charred bits from the wood burning oven here and there. The sauces were arranged from mild to hot. I think there were about ten of them and included things like hummuus, cucumber raita, tamarind sauce, cilantro herb sauce and a really spicy pickled jalapeno relish. I kept going back for more of that even though it was a little painful.

We quickly ran out of bread and ordered more. It was after nine at this time and were all famished.

Dinner arrived and I thought the Durban Shrimp was good though not as good as the Butter Chicken. It was a nice contrast though.

The surf and turf had a really nice presentation in a large bowl. The food was all very good but honestly, I could have been happy with just more of the bread service.

The dining plan people all ordered dessert. Squid also ordered dessert, banana cheesecake. Not what I would have picked out but we don’t have the same taste in dessert. I had a taste and it was ok.

As dinner was winding down we chatted with our server. He had only been at Sanaa for about a month. Previously he worked at Ohana. He said Ohana was the hardest service job because you were constantly bringing things to the table. And you had to read the table. Some people want everything quickly and others get annoyed if you don’t keep a more leisurely pace. The times we have gone, we always asked for them to slow it down so we could enjoy each course.

After settling the bill we headed up to the lobby. How were we going to get “home?”

We asked the concierge what buses were still running, figuring that we would take the first one and transfer. I was not really looking forward to this exercise after a long day but I decided to go with the majority.

We were told that since it was 10:45 only Magic Kingdom and Downtown Disney buses would be running. It would be a long trek back.

Being so late, we were the only people at the bus stop. Not long after we arrived a Downtown Disney bus arrived. Well, I guess that settled it. It would be a long ride.

The bus driver opened the door and said, “You folks headed to Downtown Disney?” I answered that we’re actually only going there to transfer to a Boardwalk bus to get back to our resort.

“Well, hop on! Let me see if I can take you to Boardwalk!”

A couple minutes later she announceed that she was taking us directly to our resort.

We clapped, hooted and hollered. Yay, bus driver! What a magical moment.

Our private bus made it back to Boardwalk in no time. A few of us went to the Belle Vue Lounge for a nightcap and calledit a night. I don’t know if I mentioned this before, but if I were a casting director, I would definitely cast the bartender as an old time magician.

So, I’m afraid none of you got the question right. I will have another one in my next update.

Montague, that's funny. Ok. I was packing for a modern cabin in the woods with running water and an adjacent restaurant but no other stores nearby.

Kathie, I know what you mean. I'm glad people can't make multiple reservations any more but it was kind of a drag in this case.

Just joining in! Also joined in on Twitter, so now you have 11 followers ;)

Sounds like an amazing trip so far, the bread services sounds so good! Happy you gave the shrimp a shot even if it wasn't his favorite!

Hope you have an amazing day today!

In meetings all day so I've only got my iPod. So multi quoting's out until later.

I slept in this morning until 7:30

Slacker!

What I won’t do for my three readers for I am sure they are dropping like flies.

Oh, shoot.
You mean we weren't supposed to swat them?

Sorry about that.

Do you want me to just hand Ponzi this thing??

::yes::

We arrived at our table for 10! Yay! They put us together.

Come together!
Right now...
At Sanaa.

Our waiter was very attentive

I'm more tired than I thought.
I first read that as "Our waiter was very attractive."

Well, this puts me in a quandary.

Never been there. Isn't that over near Dover?

I still want to order it if it’s the only spicy item but will that insult him? Will he even care anyway?

Yes.
I'm sure he went home completely crushed and cried himself to sleep.

The dining plan people among us ordered the surf and turf which is the most expensive thing on the menu. I do miss that aspect of being on the dining plan.

I wonder if DDP becomes more prevalent if they'll start pricing accordingly.
"Oh yes, the mac 'n cheese is very good. A bargain at $43.95. The surf & turf? Wouldn't recommend it. That's why it's only $8.99. Basically gristle and shells."

But I also got pretty sick of eating steak.

:eek: And you call yourself a man!!!
Oh, wait. No.
I'm thinking of someone else.

At least they made it a little exotic.

Ooooh... Naan bread.

The naan bread is soft and chewy with little charred bits from the wood burning oven here and there.

And because of that, I know my DDs would turn their noses up at it.
"It's burnt!"

:sad2:

The sauces were arranged from mild to hot. I think there were about ten of them and included things like hummuus, cucumber raita, tamarind sauce, cilantro herb sauce and a really spicy pickled jalapeno relish.

Ten?? That sounds amazing!
And again... if I ordered it for the four of us, I'd be the only one eating it.

I kept going back for more of that even though it was a little painful

:laughing: You're tougher than Mr. Squid, aren't you?

The dining plan people all ordered dessert.

And secretly... you hated them a little bit, right?

Squid also ordered dessert, banana cheesecake.

That sounds interesting.
I might order that too, actually.
Just to see what it was like.

He said Ohana was the hardest service job because you were constantly bringing things to the table. And you had to read the table.

Huh. And here I thought it would be easier.
Just keep bringing 'em food.

A couple minutes later she announceed that she was taking us directly to our resort.

Wow! Perfectly timed pixie dust!
Also found it funny since my original thought was "Bus to DTD then transfer", but I thought "No, they wouldn't be crazy enough to do that!"
I thought that maybe Epcot had late enough hours that you could do that.

We clapped, hooted and hollered. Yay, bus driver! What a magical moment.

I bet!

I will have another one in my next update.

Can't wait! Thanks for the chapter! :goodvibes

I really have mixed feelings about this.
I really do like the idea of "forcing" people to keep their ADRs. From the perspective of "Let's make a bunch of ADRs for the same night at a bunch of different restaurants and we'll pick the one we actually want later. To heck with anyone else who wants one."
On the other hand, if something comes up, you're stuck.
Wish there was a better way.
And no. I can't think of one off the top of my head.

I can. With MDE, they can stop you from making more than 3 FP+ reservations. Surely they can stop a party from making more than 1 ADR for each meal slot. If you don't have MDE, you pay a cancellation fee. See, easy!

And since you haven't posted the answer yet, I'll guess that you took the bus back since it worked so well for you on the way over... Either that or you hijacked a herd of elephants outside the resort and rode them home; but I think Disney frowns on that, so I'll stick with buses over taxis.

ETA - lol - you did post the answer! Has anyone else noticed that when you post the new interface has a tendency to seemingly put your new post in a random spot until you refresh? I totally missed about half the third page there. Damn I'm good, if only too late!

I can. With MDE, they can stop you from making more than 3 FP+ reservations. Surely they can stop a party from making more than 1 ADR for each meal slot. If you don't have MDE, you pay a cancellation fee. See, easy!

You mean like only one meal between 8am - noon. One between noon-3pm. One between 3pm - close?
Or only one at a time?

I can see people getting pretty upset about the first option, and booking multiple ADRs still in the second.

And since you haven't posted the answer yet,

Someone's getting points deducted!

Surprise, surprise. I will be a little late in posting. I have to work on a project for a client. Have to pay for dinner tonight...

I'm in meetings all day again so I couldn't comment yet anyway.
I'm guessing you knew that. Which is the real reason you're not posting. Lol

Uh oh. I am lagging behind. (I’m sure Ponzi can have fun with that one.)

I’m recapping our day on Tuesday, April 21. We had reservations at Ohana for breakfast with Lilo and Stitch. We had eaten here before a few years ago and really enjoyed the experience. Sheena, Druid and TGM declined to go with us so it would just be seven of us.

Because my knee was bothering me, we took the bus to Magic Kingdom and then transferred to the monorail. We had good luck with both, only waiting for a few minutes each. As the monorail approached the Polynesian, we admired the new bungalows on the water. For a mere $2,100 a night, we could stay in one. I’d better start saving.

When we arrived at Ohana, Mickey and I approached the podium to see if we could have our two tables near each other. I said to the rather cranky looking cast member, “Hi there. We have reservations at the same time and we’d like to sit together. They are for”

“Name please!!”

“Ok, I was getting to that. I just wanted to let you know that there”

“Name!”

“Sorry. We have two names here. One is Squid and”

“Hold on!”

“Ok. Squid party. Kids?”

“No. We’re all Disney adults here.”

“Other name?”

“Mickey.”

“Kids?”

“No.”

“Take this buzzer. Next!”

Well, that wasn’t very Disney-like! We met up with Monkston, Merida, and Wall-E in the gift shop. Monkston was on a search for Stitch ears. I’m not sure they exist but we looked anyway.

A few minutes later our buzzer lit up. That was fast. We gathered everyone together and met up with our first Ohana cousin. He was very friendly and explained the whole experience to us, but all the while all I wanted him to do was take the buzzer away from me. The vibration was driving me crazy (Hmmm. I’ll just leave it. It will give Ponzi something to do.), and there was no comfortable way to hold it.

Finally he put his hand out to take the buzzer and led us to our table, grabbing a couple baskets of bread along the way. MMMM. Bread.

We got to the table, and wow, we lucked out! We had a big round table right by the window overlooking Magic Kingdom. We immediately started taking pictures to tease Sheena about the excellent table we got without her. Mr. Squid even filmed it for her.

(Real time note: It is now 10:54 on Thursday. I’ve finished my project and my family is still sleeping.)

Where was I? Oh yes. Ohana. And bread. Our cousin came over with this great juice made of pineapple, orange and guava. We also got a carafe of coffee which we immediately started pouring into our mugs.

Shortly after, he brought a couple bowls of fruit and then the a big platter with Mickey and Stitch waffles, biscuits, scrambled eggs, potatoes, bacon and sausage. It was delicious, very hot and fresh. I hadn’t had a big breakfast in ages.

The characters started coming around about the time we were done with platter number 1. First Lilo, then Pluto, followed by Mickey and the star of this breakfast, Stitch. It was fun seeing the kids react with them

During all this a second platter was brought out. I think we all overate. The last thing I felt like doing was walking around a park but I was duty bound to meet more characters. Monkston wanted a character, shopping day and we had FP+ to meet Tinkerbell, Cinderella, Rapunzel, Anna and Elsa.

Jack Skellington went shopping with Squid, Monkston and me while the rest of the family went on rides. Our first stop was the Sorcerers card place and apparently you can’t get more cards unless you play the first set. Disney has wised up to the collectors. Luckily, Squid hadn’t already gotten a set so he gave his to Monkston.

We went into the emporium and Squid and I looked for the perfect gift for the prize. BUT… we didn’t find it yet. Squid said you should just figure out what Ponzi would like. C’mon readers! All three of you! Are you going to just hand it to him?

None of us bought anything. Monkston said she would probably want to spend more money in the store in Japan. Jack was looking for a Vera Bradley bag and they didn’t have any there.

As were exiting the store, who do we run into but Sheena, Druid and TGM! What are the odds of us bumping into our friends among 20,000 people? The same thing happened to us last year.

We quickly visited Tinkerbell when our FP+ time came. She was really tiny. Not fairy-tiny, but about the same size as Monkston.

There was a short wait for Aurora across the street so we visited her. I feel bad for the lesser princesses who have to stand out in the heat with those big dresses. I get a kick out of watching them act like princesses. Monkston said she wants to get a job as a princess when she’s in college.

We shopped some more and visited the princesses. My knee was really bothering me. I should never had tried that marathon the day before. Monkston wanted to go to Storybook Circus and then circle back for Anna and Elsa. The thought of making another lap did not appeal to me so I asked Squid if we take her to the rest of the characters so I could go back.

I had some great bus karma going on because there was a bus waiting. I hobbled as fast I could so it wouldn’t leave without me. When I arrived at Boardwalk, I saw Jack had also just arrived but was on a different bus. How did that happen? We were both coming from the same place.

We agreed to meet down at the pool when we were settled. (All these pool days are starting to run together. I am pretty sure Sheena was not far behind.)

There may or may not have been adult beverages consumed before heading back to the room to get ready for a night in World Showcase.

I wasn’t really too excited about walking around but I didn’t want to be a drag. We walked over in a pack but soon split into groups because no one wanted the same thing for dinner.

Jack and I had said earlier in the week that we wanted to try Spice Road Table. We brought along Monkston and Wall-E. Mickey would meet us later. Squid was going to get a Lamb Shwarma platter across the way.

We got a table on the water right away. This would be a great place to go to before Illuminations. We ordered four of the small plates to share.

For 20 points, what did we order? 5 points for each correct item. Menu is here.

http://allears.net/dining/menu/spice-road-table/lunch-dinner

Love the O'hana breakfast! Sounds like a fun character meeting day. It's funny that you ran into your friends at MK. It's really strange too when you run into people at WDW from home that you didn't even know were going to be there...what are the odds. Hope your knee is feeling better!

Uh oh. I am lagging behind. (I’m sure Ponzi can have fun with that one.)

I would never comment about a lady's behind.
Sagging or not.

Oh, that was "lagging"?
Whoopsie!

Because my knee was bothering me, we took the bus to Magic Kingdom and then transferred to the monorail.

Gee, sorry to hear that your knee was bothering you this much.

For a mere $2,100 a night, we could stay in one. I’d better start saving.

I can't even imagine.
So you have a short four night trip.
You save and save and save.

I can hear it now.
"So? Do you like it?"
"Yes, it's wonderful. But... how much was this?"
"$8,400"
"$8,400?? $8,400???? We need a new car and you spend over eight grand on four nights in a hotel????"

“Hi there. We have reservations at the same time and we’d like to sit together. They are for”

“Name please!!”

“Ok, I was getting to that. I just wanted to let you know that there”

“Name!”

:sad2:

Well, that wasn’t very Disney-like!

No. Definitely not.
And you'll probably wind up sitting in opposite corners of the restaurant.
One by the exit, the other by the kitchen.

all the while all I wanted him to do was take the buzzer away from me. The vibration was driving me crazy

Uh.... Um.....
Really at a loss for words here.
I keep seeing that video from SNL where the women are all... enjoying... reading 50 shades of grey.

MMMM. Bread.

::yes:: Bread.... MMMM....

We got to the table, and wow, we lucked out! We had a big round table right by the window overlooking Magic Kingdom.

So maybe he was curt... but was actually a fairy Godmother in disguise?

(Real time note: It is now 10:54 on Thursday. I’ve finished my project and my family is still sleeping.)

How is that even possible?!?!?

During all this a second platter was brought out. I think we all overate.

That's what happens with good breakfasts.

Our first stop was the Sorcerers card place and apparently you can’t get more cards unless you play the first set.

Next time hire some little kids to play the sets for you.
"Here kid, here's $5. Go have fun. Just bring the cards back when you're done."

We went into the emporium and Squid and I looked for the perfect gift for the prize. BUT… we didn’t find it yet. Squid said you should just figure out what Ponzi would like.

Actually, I sent you a PM (fine... a conversation. that sounds dumb. I prefer PM)

C’mon readers! All three of you! Are you going to just hand it to him?

Monkston said she would probably want to spend more money in the store in Japan.

Smart girl.

As were exiting the store, who do we run into but Sheena, Druid and TGM! What are the odds of us bumping into our friends among 20,000 people? The same thing happened to us last year.

Obviously pretty good, considering it happens every year. :rolleyes1

We quickly visited Tinkerbell when our FP+ time came. She was really tiny. Not fairy-tiny, but about the same size as Monkston.

Well of course she was tiny.
Fairy!

I feel bad for the lesser princesses who have to stand out in the heat with those big dresses.

Heh. "Lesser" princesses.
Try calling one that and let's see what happens, okay?

I get a kick out of watching them act like princesses.

Their ability to remain in character is pretty impressive.

My knee was really bothering me. I should never had tried that marathon the day before.

That's really too bad.
Especially when it bothers you to the point where you can't keep up with the others.

I had some great bus karma going on because there was a bus waiting. I hobbled as fast I could so it wouldn’t leave without me.

And if this had been anywhere else it would read like this:
"I had some great bus karma going on because there was a bus waiting. I hobbled as fast I could so it wouldn’t leave without me. Just before I was able to place my foot on the first step, the driver slammed the door in my face and drove off."

There may or may not have been adult beverages consumed before heading back to the room to get ready for a night in World Showcase.

:rolleyes1

We got a table on the water right away.

Nice!

I'm going to guess: Calamari, Hummus & Olives, Spicy Garlic Shrimp, Moroccan Lamb Sausage (although I'm a bit doubtful about that last one.)

Thanks for the update! :goodvibes

You mean like only one meal between 8am - noon. One between noon-3pm. One between 3pm - close?
Or only one at a time?

I can see people getting pretty upset about the first option, and booking multiple ADRs still in the second.

How about no more than 3 ADRs per day (midnight to midnight), and none can overlap (assuming a 2 hour window each)? So yes, you could book at 6:00 8:00 and 10:00 for your party, but that's less likely if you need the breakfast or lunch. This is all hypothetical of course - leave the brains at Disney to figure it out - I am just saying they probably have the tools to make it sensible.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter