Looking for new everyday dinnerware

Definitely Corelle. It's really just glass, but generally pretty durable. It can still chip or break, but it can take a fair amount of abuse. However, it's made of Vitrelle, which is tempered glass and when it reaches its breaking point, it can be pretty dramatic how many pieces it breaks into.

Their mugs are really earthenware though. Not sure why since I remember some older glass versions.

I still have some old ones that have the Corning label on the bottom, even though they divested the division decades ago.

They used to have a lot of Correlle stores (often at factory outlet malls) but there aren’t as many anymore, and sometimes their selections are limited. You might look online to see what you like, then try to find it online.

WalMart sells some but not much. You can often pick up plain white pieces like small bowls and cups and things like that. EBay might sell some that have been discontinued. (I buy my discontinued flatware there. It can be pricey but I like having a matching set.)
Also the stores left at outlet malls really are not any cheaper than target or walmart

I have had the World Market "Coupe" dishes for over a dozen years, and never a chip or scratch. They're a bit more "formal" than Corelle, sturdy enough for everyday, and nice enough for dinner parties too. They're pretty inexpensive, and they're available in sets or per piece, in case you want to make your own set. And everything looks good on them.

They'll ship, and have discount/free shipping codes everywhere.

Coupe White Porcelain Dinnerware

Image 7.jpg

Last edited:
We've had same Fiestaware dishes for over 20 years. They are like tanks.

The stuff from Homer Laughlin is pretty good. I managed to buy some HLC closeout restaurant stuff on clearance. It's heavy though. I got some 4" Fiestaware ramekins from a Harry & David store pretty cheap and they've been dropped and not a single mark on them. But again - they're really heavy. MSRP is $9.99, but I'm sure I paid a lot less. Mine looks like a discontinued color.

https://fiestafactorydirect.com/products/ramekin-568?variant=35913532555

GetImage_7930e0e1-2ae8-427d-9c3b-1ff59597a43b_2024x.jpg

FWIW, Ikea sells some corelle-like dishes (made of tempered glass) that are stylish and very affordable, and all sort a la carte.

Whatever you get, I suggest you pick a set that you can easily add pieces to in the future. We received a set of dishes as a gift in 2004 and are now down to 3 bowls, but still have 10 plates and 12 salad plates. I've purchased other bowls to supplement, but I wish they matched.
You can look for your pattern on replacements.com to see about finding matching pieces for your set.

We’re going on 20 years with my everyday set by Royal Stafford and they still look like new. They used to sell that brand at Bed Bath and Beyond in the 90s/00s.

I bought my kid a set of white dishes from Sur la Table on sale. It was very reasonable and well made. Should hold up. If I ever need to replace my everyday set (knock on wood) I’d buy from there.

If you can take a look at Macy's kitchen sales and you can find Corelle dinnerware really cheap on clearance and you can also try Walmart for cheap dinnerware sets too. My parents used to use dinnerware sets when we lived in our old house but the only dinnerware my mom buys are soup bowls and we usually use paper plates when eating. My mom has always liked Fiesta dinnerware sets and she hopes to find a set of Fiesta dinnerware herself someday. Do you remember when Corningware was all the rage and almost everyone had Corningware dinnerware in their house?

Any recommendations?

Time to replace our dishes. Looking for something casual, dishwasher and microwave safe that's chip and scratch resistant.

It's been a long time since I've purchased dishes; there's so many options available now.
We LOVE our Fiestaware.

Corelle is currently running a 40% off sale on their website for purchases over $149. Also, there are some reports that some old Corelle patterns may have lead when worn so check that before buying resale.

Any recommendations?

Time to replace our dishes. Looking for something casual, dishwasher and microwave safe that's chip and scratch resistant.

It's been a long time since I've purchased dishes; there's so many options available now.
Our dishes are from Crate and Barrel and West Elm mostly, with a few pieces from Williams-Sonoma. We haven't had any issues with chipping or grazing and wash them in the dishwasher. They've lasted us for years.

Fiestaware ramekins from a Harry & David store pretty cheap and they've been dropped and not a single mark on them.
Funny you mention ramekins - the best set of ramekins I ever bought was a used set from Cast Connection in Orlando. I have no idea what resort or restaurant they were from on property but they were a song and I've had them for 13 years. I've dropped them and done all sorts of other things to them, and now our cats use them, and I've yet to have a single chip or crack.

Le Crueset white with several accessory pieces in different colors.

I bought china at a flea market to benefit a local charity. I like the feel of china and don't mind if I break a piece or two. The whole set, with bowls came to $20 for service for 8, including soup bowls, ice cream bowls and a large serving bowl. It isn't Lenox, etc. IDK what the brand is, but it feels nice and serves our food well. ;)

I'd buy more china from FB marketplace when it comes time to replace them. Some of mine have chips, but they are my every day dishes, and the chips aren't horrible yet. I've had this set for about 5-years.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter