• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Looking for opinions: Is Lanikai beach worth it?

Got a lot more to share but...It's better to answer questions...lol
Love the perspective from a local, mahalo!! I have not heard of Kaiona beach, thanks for the rec! We'll be in Oahu very soon so I'm adding this to our list to check out if we have time.
I also read that the secret beach near Kualoa is worth a visit, because you can see Mokoli'i there. If I am only going to one beach on the windward side, would you choose secret beach or kaiona?
Love the perspective from a local, mahalo!! I have not heard of Kaiona beach, thanks for the rec! We'll be in Oahu very soon so I'm adding this to our list to check out if we have time.
I also read that the secret beach near Kualoa is worth a visit, because you can see Mokoli'i there. If I am only going to one beach on the windward side, would you choose secret beach or kaiona?
Kaiona. For sure. Please understand that the distance between Kuala and Kaiona is about.....45 mins so it all boils down to what you're doing. Yes they're both windward side but very distant in proximity to anything you're doing especially if you're staying at Aulani. Here's something to add...If you're going to Waikiki from Aulani, it does not make sense to take another day to visit Kaiona/Kailua/Lanikai because its about 20 minutes further. Since you're coming in December, I would not trust the weather on the windward side. Today it's pouring! This whole week it's been horrible weather because of the rain. You said a couple weeks...hopefully it'll be better. But if you do plan to do Waikiki and swim there, you would probably want to stay 'till lunch time meaning you're in Waikiki around 8AM in the water or at least galavanting. The shops are nothing special in Waikiki. It's more for our guests from Japan and Asia because it's mostly pricey places like Gucci, Luis Vuitton, etc. Yes there are some better places for mainland tourists but it's nothing that you can't find at Ala Moana Shopping Center or even the Aloha Stadium Swap Meet. If you do decide to leave at lunch time to check out Kaiona, may I recommend you swing by Rainbow Drive-Inn or Fresh Catch to pick up lunch and of course you need to pick up Leonards Malasadas especially since it's the original bakery and not the lunch wagon. For lunch, you can actually eat the lunch at Kaiona. If you eat all the malasadas on the way there, don't worry, there's another Leonards Malasadas truck at Koko Marina which is at the base of Hanauma Bay. At that time, you'd be about 10-12 mins. away from Kaiona. Make sure to take the scenic route along the coast so you can see the blowhole, Maui, and Molokai (if it's clear). If you decide to head back home that same way you came, it's probably more scenic. Kualoa area, if you guys decide to make a visit to the Polynesian Cultural Center, then it makes sense to visit Kualoa. It typically gets darker early since it's winter but it's always going to be cooler and the water will be cooler especially on that side. But if you want to check out the North Shore on a separate day, Kualoa is something you could throw in. =)

Got a lot more to share but...It's better to answer questions...lol

Kaiona. For sure. Please understand that the distance between Kuala and Kaiona is about.....45 mins so it all boils down to what you're doing. Yes they're both windward side but very distant in proximity to anything you're doing especially if you're staying at Aulani. Here's something to add...If you're going to Waikiki from Aulani, it does not make sense to take another day to visit Kaiona/Kailua/Lanikai because its about 20 minutes further. Since you're coming in December, I would not trust the weather on the windward side. Today it's pouring! This whole week it's been horrible weather because of the rain. You said a couple weeks...hopefully it'll be better. But if you do plan to do Waikiki and swim there, you would probably want to stay 'till lunch time meaning you're in Waikiki around 8AM in the water or at least galavanting. The shops are nothing special in Waikiki. It's more for our guests from Japan and Asia because it's mostly pricey places like Gucci, Luis Vuitton, etc. Yes there are some better places for mainland tourists but it's nothing that you can't find at Ala Moana Shopping Center or even the Aloha Stadium Swap Meet. If you do decide to leave at lunch time to check out Kaiona, may I recommend you swing by Rainbow Drive-Inn or Fresh Catch to pick up lunch and of course you need to pick up Leonards Malasadas especially since it's the original bakery and not the lunch wagon. For lunch, you can actually eat the lunch at Kaiona. If you eat all the malasadas on the way there, don't worry, there's another Leonards Malasadas truck at Koko Marina which is at the base of Hanauma Bay. At that time, you'd be about 10-12 mins. away from Kaiona. Make sure to take the scenic route along the coast so you can see the blowhole, Maui, and Molokai (if it's clear). If you decide to head back home that same way you came, it's probably more scenic. Kualoa area, if you guys decide to make a visit to the Polynesian Cultural Center, then it makes sense to visit Kualoa. It typically gets darker early since it's winter but it's always going to be cooler and the water will be cooler especially on that side. But if you want to check out the North Shore on a separate day, Kualoa is something you could throw in. =)
We have been to Oahu couple times before but just many moons ago when everything was very different! Previous trips since we were a lot younger we focused more on Waikiki and the nightlife, but we ain't that young anymore and definitely wanna see more of the island.
Yeah I looked it up on Google map and those 2 beaches are quite far apart so that's why I wanna know which one is more "worth" it to go to. We aren't going to Kualoa Ranch so ideally Kaiona would make more sense since we'll be visiting Kailua and Kaneohe, it's closer. But if one suggests secret beach is a must vist, I would consider making the drive.
We won't be swimming at Waikiki...just planning to spend the day there shop a little and eat some good food! The last time we were in Oahu, the international marketplace was still the old school one with all the stalls! So it will be nice to check out all the changes😊

Thank you for your input! 🤞🏼🤞🏼🤞🏼 the rain will hold back a little when we are there!

If you eat all the malasadas on the way there, don't worry, there's another Leonards Malasadas truck at Koko Marina which is at the base of Hanauma Bay. At that time, you'd be about 10-12 mins. away from Kaiona. Make sure to take the scenic route along the coast so you can see the blowhole, Maui, and Molokai (if it's clear). If you decide to head back home that same way you came, it's probably more scenic. Kualoa area, if you guys decide to make a visit to the Polynesian Cultural Center, then it makes sense to visit Kualoa. It typically gets darker early since it's winter but it's always going to be cooler and the water will be cooler especially on that side. But if you want to check out the North Shore on a separate day, Kualoa is something you could throw in. =)
Nowadays, I'd even suggest Hanauma Bay. For folks who have one shot at a good snorkeling experience in a sheltered environment, it can't be beat. Perfect for children and those adults who aren't the strongest swimmers. Especially in the years since they cleaned it up and restricted access. For visitors, just be aware that it's not open on Mondays or Tuesdays, and you need to watch a video and listen to a brief presentation about the preserve, and how to treat the coral.

Foe everyone else, Hanauma Bay is where they filmed Elvis' Blue Hawaii, and for many years it was terribly abused. There were snack stands down in the bowl (it's a volcanic crater that opens out onto the ocean), tons of trash, and a beach littered with cigarette butts. A few years ago, they closed it down, got rid of the snack shacks, and turned it into a proper nature preserve. Everyone who goes down onto the beach needs to watch the aforementioned video and presentation (including locals who only need to do it once a year), and you're only allowed to bring a limited amount of snacks and drinks, and no coolers. Reservations are also required. It's still got a bit of a "touristy" feel because it's so popular, but the snorkeling is awesome and I think it's still worth a trip.

Hanauma Bay State Park

1200px-Hanauma_Bay.jpg

sandy-coastline-and-green-cliffs--hanauma-bay--oahu--hawaii--usa-979755534-3a6b2a50fe4146c3a8e...jpg

We have been to Oahu couple times before but just many moons ago when everything was very different! Previous trips since we were a lot younger we focused more on Waikiki and the nightlife, but we ain't that young anymore and definitely wanna see more of the island.
Yeah I looked it up on Google map and those 2 beaches are quite far apart so that's why I wanna know which one is more "worth" it to go to. We aren't going to Kualoa Ranch so ideally Kaiona would make more sense since we'll be visiting Kailua and Kaneohe, it's closer. But if one suggests secret beach is a must vist, I would consider making the drive.
We won't be swimming at Waikiki...just planning to spend the day there shop a little and eat some good food! The last time we were in Oahu, the international marketplace was still the old school one with all the stalls! So it will be nice to check out all the changes😊

Thank you for your input! 🤞🏼🤞🏼🤞🏼 the rain will hold back a little when we are there!
The International Marketplace is COMPLETELY DIFFERENT! It's sort of an expansion of Ala Moana Shopping Center so yeah...

In regards to food, Waikiki is not what I'd recommend (Just my opinion). If you're walking and shopping, you'll find the typical food places such as Jack in the Box, Burger King. Nothing really stands out as to why I'd go to Waikiki to eat unless it's like Yard House, Ruth Chris Steakhouse, etc. You'd be better off driving up the road in Kapahulu Ave. where you'd find some nice Sushi Bowl places, Malasadas, etc.

The International Marketplace is COMPLETELY DIFFERENT! It's sort of an expansion of Ala Moana Shopping Center so yeah...

In regards to food, Waikiki is not what I'd recommend (Just my opinion). If you're walking and shopping, you'll find the typical food places such as Jack in the Box, Burger King. Nothing really stands out as to why I'd go to Waikiki to eat unless it's like Yard House, Ruth Chris Steakhouse, etc. You'd be better off driving up the road in Kapahulu Ave. where you'd find some nice Sushi Bowl places, Malasadas, etc.
This seems to be getting a little off-topic, but if a person happens to be staying at Waikiki, are there restaurants that you would recommend that are worth going to (if maybe not worth driving TO Waikiki for)? I'm thinking places such as Duke's or Barefoot Beach Cafe?

Thanks for the local perspective!

It's a little bit of a walk, but worth it. You can also just stay on the beach at Kailua as well. It will have more people on it, but the bottom runs out much more slowly and you can be out 50 yards or so and only be up to your waist.

Kailua at sunset:

View attachment 813327

And during the day:

View attachment 813328

View attachment 813329

View attachment 813330

The last one is looking south towards Lanikai Point.

So Kailua Beach Park was our favorite beach during our trip and the sand and water were like silk! It was incredible 😊 Note that while pretty Waikiki is more rocky/rough. Waimea is pretty but a huge hill and less soft… I could go on. Everything is pretty for sure. I’m partial to Kailua.

I would see Lanikai as its close and incredibly pretty, but I would spend my time at Kailua as its bigger, easier to park and spread out and gorgeous too. Get some lunch at Kalipawi market on your way to the beach and have a picnic.

So Kailua Beach Park was our favorite beach during our trip and the sand and water were like silk! It was incredible 😊 Note that while pretty Waikiki is more rocky/rough. Waimea is pretty but a huge hill and less soft… I could go on. Everything is pretty for sure. I’m partial to Kailua.

I would see Lanikai as its close and incredibly pretty, but I would spend my time at Kailua as its bigger, easier to park and spread out and gorgeous too. Get some lunch at Kalipawi market on your way to the beach and have a picnic.
All of this 100%.

This seems to be getting a little off-topic, but if a person happens to be staying at Waikiki, are there restaurants that you would recommend that are worth going to (if maybe not worth driving TO Waikiki for)? I'm thinking places such as Duke's or Barefoot Beach Cafe?

Thanks for the local perspective!
My pleasure providing a locals angle of things. I also believe there are other Hawai’i residents on Disboards so please take all of our suggestions as it’s all about recommending quality spots. With that being said, here’s mine regarding food spots.
As a local, Waikiki is just a hot spot for tourists. The beaches are places we stay away from because of parking and limited shoreline space due to erosion. I think most locals go to Waikiki (Bowls) to surf. Not really spend the entire day there like nearby Ala Moana Beach Park welcomes. Kai mama beach is a spot where locals spend time at but parking is always a hit or miss especially if you’re rolling in there around 10am. Regarding food spots, nothing that really says Hawai’i is in Waikiii unless you check out the brunches in hotels like the Halekulani, etc. Other than the typical date night spots like Ruth Chris, Hys Steakhouse, Yard House, etc., we typically head to local areas for food that you can only get here. I’ll share some ideas:
Filipino Food- Elena’s in Waipahu
Thai Food- Siam Garden across Nicos Pier 38
Chinese Food- Many spots around the island. I enjoy Salt Lake Chinese Restaurant.
Dim Sum- Many spots to consider but we frequent Mei Sum in Chinatown.
Pho- Cuu Long II in Chinatown.
Japanese- Waikiki is ok but you’ll pay the price. Locals usually eat at spots like Gyotaku (Pearl City) or Kunios (Waikele) or even Kikuya (Kalihi/Kaneohe).
Hawaiian- Helena’s (Kalihi), Young’s (Kalihi) or Laverne’s Food truck in Waikele.
Mexican- Wahiawa has some great spots- El Ranchero Taqueria but I think they have a spot at Ka Makana Alii in Kapolei.
Seafood- Nicos Pier 38. The Furokawa Ahi and the view is worth everything. Hopefully you can go in the early evenings when there’s music as well. If you want crab legs, shrimp, etc., you’re better of paying the price of a buffet at a hotel or hitting up them seafood boil spots.
Sushi- depends if you want quantity, Genki sushi or kuru kuru (Aiea). If you want fancier, the Japanese restaurants are preferred or Ahi & Vegetable has been a spot we’ve been visiting a lot of.
Drinks- lots of bars you can visit but if you want them drinks that make Hawai’i feel like that touristy spot, Dukes, 604 (Pearl Harbor), and even Monkeypod (Ko Olina).
Poke Bowls- can’t go wrong with the supermarkets (*in order of preference- Tamuras (Aiea), Times, Foodland). To be honest, Aulani poke bowl with everything is ok. It was better last year. Something is different, less choices, when we stayed in October.
Manapua- Chun Wah Kam. Don’t forget the pork hash. Try to dip it in the hot mustard sauce.
There are also plate lunch spots that locals typically hit up more than these restaurants and I’m sure others will chime in but here are some spots we frequent:
Sugoi (Kalihi)- Garlic Chicken
Mililani Restaurant- Fried Saimin and many other options. Shoyu Chicken is what we get.
Guieb Cafe (Kalihi/Wahiawa)lots of options.
Kau Kau Grill- lots of options
Chun Wah Kam- lots of options
Loco moco and L&L- I guess but I don’t care for them unless we’re running late on dinner.
Zippy’s- eh, you can find better things to eat at plate lunch spots but it is still a popular local spot.
Deserts/Donuts- Liliha Bakery, Leonard’s, Kamehameha Bakery.
Also, don’t overlook the food trucks. I’d consider many of them over the plate lunch places.

My pleasure providing a locals angle of things. I also believe there are other Hawai’i residents on Disboards so please take all of our suggestions as it’s all about recommending quality spots. With that being said, here’s mine regarding food spots.
As a local, Waikiki is just a hot spot for tourists. The beaches are places we stay away from because of parking and limited shoreline space due to erosion. I think most locals go to Waikiki (Bowls) to surf. Not really spend the entire day there like nearby Ala Moana Beach Park welcomes. Kai mama beach is a spot where locals spend time at but parking is always a hit or miss especially if you’re rolling in there around 10am. Regarding food spots, nothing that really says Hawai’i is in Waikiii unless you check out the brunches in hotels like the Halekulani, etc. Other than the typical date night spots like Ruth Chris, Hys Steakhouse, Yard House, etc., we typically head to local areas for food that you can only get here. I’ll share some ideas:
Filipino Food- Elena’s in Waipahu
Thai Food- Siam Garden across Nicos Pier 38
Chinese Food- Many spots around the island. I enjoy Salt Lake Chinese Restaurant.
Dim Sum- Many spots to consider but we frequent Mei Sum in Chinatown.
Pho- Cuu Long II in Chinatown.
Japanese- Waikiki is ok but you’ll pay the price. Locals usually eat at spots like Gyotaku (Pearl City) or Kunios (Waikele) or even Kikuya (Kalihi/Kaneohe).
Hawaiian- Helena’s (Kalihi), Young’s (Kalihi) or Laverne’s Food truck in Waikele.
Mexican- Wahiawa has some great spots- El Ranchero Taqueria but I think they have a spot at Ka Makana Alii in Kapolei.
Seafood- Nicos Pier 38. The Furokawa Ahi and the view is worth everything. Hopefully you can go in the early evenings when there’s music as well. If you want crab legs, shrimp, etc., you’re better of paying the price of a buffet at a hotel or hitting up them seafood boil spots.
Sushi- depends if you want quantity, Genki sushi or kuru kuru (Aiea). If you want fancier, the Japanese restaurants are preferred or Ahi & Vegetable has been a spot we’ve been visiting a lot of.
Drinks- lots of bars you can visit but if you want them drinks that make Hawai’i feel like that touristy spot, Dukes, 604 (Pearl Harbor), and even Monkeypod (Ko Olina).
Poke Bowls- can’t go wrong with the supermarkets (*in order of preference- Tamuras (Aiea), Times, Foodland). To be honest, Aulani poke bowl with everything is ok. It was better last year. Something is different, less choices, when we stayed in October.
Manapua- Chun Wah Kam. Don’t forget the pork hash. Try to dip it in the hot mustard sauce.
There are also plate lunch spots that locals typically hit up more than these restaurants and I’m sure others will chime in but here are some spots we frequent:
Sugoi (Kalihi)- Garlic Chicken
Mililani Restaurant- Fried Saimin and many other options. Shoyu Chicken is what we get.
Guieb Cafe (Kalihi/Wahiawa)lots of options.
Kau Kau Grill- lots of options
Chun Wah Kam- lots of options
Loco moco and L&L- I guess but I don’t care for them unless we’re running late on dinner.
Zippy’s- eh, you can find better things to eat at plate lunch spots but it is still a popular local spot.
Deserts/Donuts- Liliha Bakery, Leonard’s, Kamehameha Bakery.
Also, don’t overlook the food trucks. I’d consider many of them over the plate lunch places.
Wow! Thanks very much for the extensive list! We already have Liliha bakery in our plans, but will have to look into almost everything else. Thanks again.

Wow! Thanks very much for the extensive list! We already have Liliha bakery in our plans, but will have to look into almost everything else. Thanks again.
It's fun sharing these things! Liliha Bakery is ok to be honest. The Cocoa Puffs are nothing special whereas the Malasadas would be pretty cool. I forgot to mention Pa'alakai Bakery in Haleiwa. The Snow Puffs are recommended over the Cocoa Puffs anyway!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter