Loose vs. Lose!

BigTiggerGuy

HHN Here We Come Again!!!!
I know this is petty and it's probably just the ex-English major in me but this has been driving me nuts and I need to get it off my chest....

I read so many posts on these boards in which people use "loose" when they should be using "lose." For example, I really need to "loose" weight before I go on vacation........it should be "lose." Don't they watch The Biggest Loser? It's not The Biggest Looser!
Loose describes how your clothes fit after you lose the weight.

OK, I feel much better now and should probably go and take my medication:rotfl2: It's amazing how the littlest things can drive you nuts!

It's enough to make me "loose" my mind!:goodvibes

:rotfl2: :rotfl2:
I know what you mean. I often want to go in and edit posts to correct their grammar. I understand a simple misspelling while typing, but using the wrong word irks me too...especially "there/their/they're". Duh, didn't these people pay attention in 2nd grade English class?

Add me to the list of people that are bugged by incorrect word usage. (Psycholinguistics major here). :confused3

Loose and lose are serious irritants! LOL.

They're, their, and there. Yep. Makes my eyes roll to the back of my head.

Whether, weather

Where, wear,

Hear, here

Bear, Bare

you get the idea. :guilty: :upsidedow

Never mind:

Bring vs. Take

Aggravate vs. Irritate

Regardless vs. Irregardless (grrrrrr)

Ahhh! I'm not the only one bothered! There's also confusion with to, too, and two. And don't get me started on "me and him"! :laughing:

Ohh, this thread title got me interested! This totally bugs me when people mess up words!

While we're on the subject (well this is sort of on the subject...)...I am in the middle of looking for a teaching job, and one of the things they told us was to proofread your application and stuff because the easiest way to lose (HA! I used it right! ;) ) consideration is to submit a sloppy application. Well, I'm printing out one of the applications and it says this:

"the following materials are redquired with your application."

REDquired?!?! ***! And then it says "please list all the district where you have substituted." Ummm...it should be districtS. :rolleyes:

I'm so glad to see it isn't just me. My DP told me I was nuts for posting this thread but sometimes you just need to get stuff out! I couldn't think of a better place than this board, full of fun, sarcastic, understanding people......just like me;)

Ohh, this thread title got me interested! This totally bugs me when people mess up words!

While we're on the subject (well this is sort of on the subject...)...I am in the middle of looking for a teaching job, and one of the things they told us was to proofread your application and stuff because the easiest way to lose (HA! I used it right! ;) ) consideration is to submit a sloppy application. Well, I'm printing out one of the applications and it says this:

"the following materials are redquired with your application."

REDquired?!?! ***! And then it says "please list all the district where you have substituted." Ummm...it should be districtS. :rolleyes:

When I applied to the University of Massachusetts at Amherst back in (well, never mind when it was), I found two typographical errors on the application. I brought it to their attention in my essay.

I TOTALLY agree! It also drives me nuts when people use "seen" when they should be using "saw". As in: "I seen Mickey at WDW" UGH!!!!:headache:

You no , I never new their was a write way and wrong weigh to used words !

btw noticing some of your hometowns, I love a day in Plymouth and I lived in Weymouth before I moved here to Brockton.

You no , I never new their was a write way and wrong weigh to used words !

btw noticing some of your hometowns, I love a day in Plymouth and I lived in Weymouth before I moved here to Brockton.

And I lived in Brockton for quite a while, both my kids were born in Brockton Hospital, and my last name's Weymouth!

Someone on Resorts is getting "inpatient" waiting for a reply from AKL IPO. :rolleyes1 Twice in the same post.

I used to live in Brockton, too! When I was 7. :)

I thought it was a British thing to be bothered about correct English grammar - I am so pleased to see it is also Americans who get annoyed about sloppy use of words.

A pet hate of mine is "can I get a burger/drink/ice cream/etc" when it should be "can I HAVE a burger.......". That one seems to be creeping over here now:mad:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter