Macaroni & Cheese For Thanksgiving Dinner

I made a homemade macaroni and cheese recipe about 5 years for Thanksgiving and now its expected by everyone every year.
We do a turkey and a Honey baked ham, the mac and cheese goes well with the ham.

That would be a great big NO!!!!! in this house. DW has some weird mac & cheese phobia. It seems in second or third grade the cafeteria lunch lady made her eat the school's awful version of it. She's had an strong aversion to it ever since.

She would occasionally make the Kraft box for her daughters, but wouldn't eat it. I sometimes order it at restaurants when it's on the menu or get it for lunch at Wawa. But DW still gets the heebie jeebies around the stuff.

I never considered mac and cheese to be a Thanksgiving food, however.

I haven't been there yet, but there's a local restaurant that specializes in atypical mac & cheese.

http://homeroom510.com

I personally like a good one that's baked with breadcrumbs on top forming a crust with the cheese. I haven't really made anything like that myself, but I've had some pretty good ones at buffets.

Not a must for me, but I certainly wouldn't complain. My son does love it so we'll probably have it.

My turkey day musts
Turkey
Stuffing
Mashed Potatoes
Gravy
Crescent Rolls

I also like, but don't require
Green Beans
Corn
Brown Sugar and Whiskey Glazed Carrots

Wife likes to toss in a green bean casserole, and must have cranberry sauce.

Heck, if it was possible, I’d have Mac and cheese just pumped into my blood stream intravenously all thanksgiving day. Also, all day tomorrow.

In my little corner of the world, Mac & cheese is *almost* as standard to the Thanksgiving dinner as the stuffing and cranberry sauce.

Whoa! Easy there, Kemosabe! Methinks you have that backwards. Or not. In which case, more power to ya! :drinking::cool1:
yeah backwards, but still happy

Yay! I started doing it about 5 years ago for a picky SIL who didn't like other things I made (who doesn't like Brussels sprouts au gratin?) and it was a big hit. But I only do sweet potatoes not regular mashed potatoes so it isn't too bad. Sweet potatoes, stuffing, Mac, Brussels, and green bean casserole. Turkey, gravy, cranberry and desserts. No Rolls.
No rolls?! What kind of messed up Thanksgiving are you people having? What do you sop up the gravy/clean your plate with? What do you throw leftover turkey on the next day? (Playing...kinda...:rotfl2:)

Mac & Cheese is pretty traditional with lots of people. I say go for it.

No rolls?! What kind of messed up Thanksgiving are you people having? What do you sop up the gravy/clean your plate with? What do you throw leftover turkey on the next day? (Playing...kinda...:rotfl2:)

Mac & Cheese is pretty traditional with lots of people. I say go for it.

I know right but sweet potatoes, stuffing, Mac. So much carbs. We used to do Rolls and then we figured it was wasting precious stomach room.

We have it. My daughter and I won't eat turkey, but we both love Chefs de France's gratin de macaroni, so we have this as our special menu item for Thanksgiving. Bonus, my daughter makes the sauce because she's far more patient while standing at the stove and stirring than I am.

I know I'm in the minority but I am not a fan of homemade mac and cheese. I'm not a huge fan of boxed either but if I had to choose between the two, I pick the boxed.

For some reason, I find homemade mac and cheese to be very greasy and if you're not eating it when it's piping hot, it turns in to a ball of gritty, cold cheese and pasta. No matter who makes it, I never like it.

I do however, love broccoli and cheese with ritz crackers crumbled on top. Now that is good!

ETA: We do not serve mac and cheese at our Thanksgiving dinner. We're just not a mac and cheese kind of family.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter