mad at Delta - have to vent!!!! (long)

marn913

Disney Bride
I had my first really horrible experience with lost baggage last night! My fiance and I flew Delta from Orlando with a stop to change planes in Atlanta and then back to Chicago. This is a regular route that Delta flies regularly during the week. The flights went off without a hitch - our flight to Atlanta even arrived 15 min early! The problem began when we got back home to Chicago. Arrived at the baggage claim waited, and waited - NO BAGS! So we talked to Delta's baggage office. They told us to check the Air Tran area because our bags "Missed" our flight to Midway on Delta - so Delta gave them to a completely different airline to transport to Chicago. So we waited another 45 min for the Air Tran flight's baggage to arrive. ONE of our two bags arrived - but not the other. By this time the Delta office was closing, so we filed our baggage information and were given the number/web-site info to check on its status. Air Tran was not able to help because our luggage has Delta bar codes on the stickers, so even if they have it - they can't track it. So now we have to wait for our bag to make it to a Delta terminal to be scanned and tracked.
So today, I contacted Delta to check on our bag. I was greeted by the rudest "customer service" rep that I have ever encountered - I was crying by the time she was done with me. The whole time I tried to be polite but firm (but she must have just gotten an earful from the last customer she spoke with because she was a complete #$@&$. I asked her how our luggage could have ended up on a completely different airline with the new TSA/FAA regulations for bag matching. She told me that this only applies to the first leg of your trip. Also, it only applies to the person flying - NOT the airline. So if I check a bag, but don't board a flight, the airline HAS to pull my luggage off. But, if I check a bag and make it onto the airplane, the airline is not legally obligated to make sure my bag is on that same flight - they can fly it on another plane going to the same destination, or they also have the option to put it on a completely different airline if they screw up and don't get the luggage to the plane.
So now my bag sits somewere in the vast beyond of Atlanta's LARGE airport, and Delta claims that there's a 99.9% chance that they will find it within 24 hours. But if they take more than 5 days to find it they will just have us file a claim and get cash (they will take possession of the suitcase if it is found and its items) and we will have the option to request single items that are not replaceable. (We will not have the option to decline the reimbursement and claim the bag!)
This Disney trip was wonderful - met with our Disney Wedding coordinator, had engagement photos taken at the Poly and rode Space Mountain about ten times! However the homecoming was something I would give back - lost bags, 25 degrees and snow today!

Also have this -
The ONE bag that we did receive had "Please Deliver to Delta" written with a black sharpie on the airline luggage sticker! I think that's really high-tech! Once this is settled and I can laugh about it - I think the sticker will make it to the scrap book! I wonder what the other bag will look like if it ever returns!

It's really too bad that happened to you... it seems that with all the baggage handling changes, there are more and more horror stories we hear. I hope you get your bag back - let us know what happens!

Glad you had a good time.

:bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc

OH man, you are really scaring me.
That's one of my biggest (besides crashing ofcourse!) fears of flying- losing my bags that are checked.
I'm flying Delta on the 19th! You have me majorly scared now. It's not just the valuable things that would be in there- but honestly if they lost my bag I would be completely without a wardrobe- and I mean at home also! I don't have a whole lot of clothes because of my size after my 3rd child and I refuse to buy a ton of clothes until I lose weight. I'm also very picky about what I think looks okay on me or not- so I find very few clothes items I like! So not only the valuables but my entire wardrobe (seriously- almost the entire wardrobe- and definitely all my favorite clothes!) would be lost.

I'll be biting my nails both ways until I see my baggage back safely home I guess. :(

I'm so sorry this has happened to you!

marn913
The one and only time I lost a bag was with Delta, but, unlike you, I did not encounter a rude person, I encountered a really nice helpful person. I would call back and speak with someone else. When I initially realized my bag was lost I spoke to someone at Delta who was in too much of a rush to meet another incoming flight to give me much information. She just gave me the number to call and some other number to give to the agent. When I spoke to the really nice agent I told her how "short, but not rude" this person at the airport was. She sent us two vouchers for future flights (didn't not expect that and it was a nice touch). The end result, my bag arrived at my door the next evening, unharmed and totally intact. I expect that is what will happen with you, or at the least it is my hope. But, please, do call and complain about how you were treated, that is just not right.
Let us know how it turns out, ok?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter