Magical Express Ending Service

All they had to do was charge for it. Make it optional and charge for those who want to use it. They could have reduced the fleet/ save costs and get some revenue from it too. Instead of aggravating the great many that love it.
Most likely WDW’s contract with Mears had a one-year out and prohibits Disney from establishing a similar service for a defined period of time. I’d be surprised if Disney doesn’t offer an up-charge ride and/or luggage delivery service when they are able.

Most likely WDW’s contract with Mears had a one-year out and prohibits Disney from establishing a similar service for a defined period of time. I’d be surprised if Disney doesn’t offer an up-charge ride and/or luggage delivery service when they are able.
Hmmm. Does anyone remember The Big Red Boat?

We have been going to Disney for years and have stayed well over 20 times. When we bring all of our kids (minus the married one) there are 8 of us. The thought of having to find numerous ubers/lyfts to get us to a resort.....hard no. Lol. We rarely stay on property with all 8 of us anyway. We tend to bring 2 kids at a time. For us the shine has been getting lost anyway. Too many price hikes and perks ending, and there is just so much more to see and explore in the world. After talking with my DH we will not be staying on property indefinitely. I just don‘t see it happening Because renting a house is so much more appealing. And thats ok, I’m sure they will attract enough new people that anyone “leaving” won‘t affect them anyway. When and if we go to Disney parks again we will definitely be renting a house. The cost is just too great with not enough perks to justify it for us.

Please explain.never heard of it.
Disney dipped it's toes into cruising by partnering with Premier Cruise Line, and called it The Big Red Boat.
Starting in 1985, Premier partnered with Walt Disney World, providing seven-night land and sea vacations on the Big Red Boat. Premier was licensed to provide Disney characters on its ships, until the relationship ended in 1993. Disney then proceeded to start its own cruise ship line in 1995.
Not that the same thing will happen with DME, but it's an interesting thought.

I just looked around at home rentals and we can book a 4 bedroom, 2 bath house with a full kitchen and a private pool close to Disney for less per night than staying at Pop.

If we have to rent a car anyway....

For our last trip in November, I seriously looked at booking at the Swan or Dolphin, but the magic bands and Magical Express ultimately made me choose Pop (walking distance to Epcot and HS was the draw...)

If we ever do go back to Disney, it is almost assured now we wouldn’t stay on property. And that is HUGE for us. I honestly think Disney made a big mistake with this. Who would have thought they could burst my bubble (quite literally) in one fell swoop?

Last reminder to please keep the thread on topic. If a post is ot, argumentative, overly sarcastic or breaks DIS guidelines in any way please use the report button on the post itself.

There may be plenty of new people to take the places of those who have reached their limits with Disney. My question is how many veterans who have become the go-to folks to answer questions or help with planning? I was one of those type of people. Lately I have talked more people out of Disney vacations when I start comparing what Disney has taken away to what is offered now and the cost Example: Before, must have breakfast at the castle. When I went, it was $20 pp. Now it is are you prepared to spend $64 pp for eggs and bacon? Then start explaining DME and now the hoops you will have to jump through. Also planning dining and what time you want to ride 180 days out, then tell them about the upcharges I paid compared to the prices now. The response has been forget it, we'll go the Universal.

Bless your heart. Perhaps you confused "deserve" with "can afford".
I’m not trying to be antagonistic but the truth is that it’s a bit of both IMO.

Disney fans are a crazy passionate bunch... and it does lead to an almost entitled POV at times (e.g. they owe us).

I believe there is a misconception that there are troves of companies making customer experience choices just because it’s ‘the right thing to do.’

I can personally assure you (because of what I do professionally) all large companies have cxp analytics that are used for business cases to understand how sticky and/or profitable a customer will likely be based on product decisions. They’ve done the research and they have economic projections that lay out in detail what would likely happen when DME was sunset.

As sad as it makes all of us, unless these decisions shrink the revenue line or grow the cost line, they’ll deal with all the noise.

I’m genuinely curious and considering posting a poll on the topic. Did anyone decide to book 2021 trips at this news to experience ME one last time, like people have for Osborne lights or ride closures? I’m wondering if the timing of this announcement was intended to provoke this response, and if so, if it was successful. Maybe they are anticipating a drop in bookings in 2022 anyway so they are trying to offset that by padding the numbers for Q4 2021.

Remember also you do not pay for Resort parking and park parking. If you are on-site you get a parking pass to get into the parks for no additional parking.

If you’re staying on-site, you don’t pay to park at the theme parks, but you absolutely do pay (a fairly substantial fee) to park at your resort.

I’m a little surprised they’ve done away with ME altogether, but I didn’t think it was fair to charge people who drove their own car for parking while keeping ME free because we all know that fee is really built into the room rate. I think they should have kept it and charged for it.

I’m not trying to be antagonistic but the truth is that it’s a bit of both IMO.

Disney fans are a crazy passionate bunch... and it does lead to an almost entitled POV at times (e.g. they owe us).

I believe there is a misconception that there are troves of companies making customer experience choices just because it’s ‘the right thing to do.’

I can personally assure you (because of what I do professionally) all large companies have cxp analytics that are used for business cases to understand how sticky and/or profitable a customer will likely be based on product decisions. They’ve done the research and they have economic projections that lay out in detail what would likely happen when DME was sunset.

As sad as it makes all of us, unless these decisions shrink the revenue line or grow the cost line, they’ll deal with all the noise.

Taking ME aside for a bit. What has always made Disney unique is the exceptional guest experience. Almost to the point of feeling like royalty—baggage handling, ME, magic bands sent to your home, “free” (ha) in park transportation in the bubble, etc. I hope when the financial analysts consider cuts, they look broader at whether or not that diminishes the Disney experience. Because I am not sure people only go to Disney to see the castle or Mickey Mouse. People like how they*feel* when in the world. It’s hard to put a price tag on that, although it seems like they are willing to push that boundary.

Taking ME aside for a bit. What has always made Disney unique is the exceptional guest experience. Almost to the point of feeling like royalty—baggage handling, ME, magic bands sent to your home, “free” (ha) in park transportation in the bubble, etc. I hope when the financial analysts consider cuts, they look broader at whether or not that diminishes the Disney experience. Because I am not sure people only go to Disney to see the castle or Mickey Mouse. People like how they*feel* when in the world. It’s hard to put a price tag on that, although it seems like they are willing to push that boundary.
I understand your point... I really do.

But if people *feel* less magic but keep spending their money at equal or rising rates anyway... I’m not sure the Walt Disney Co will (or, as a shareholder, should) care to change.

I understand your point... I really do.

But if people *feel* less magic but keep spending their money at equal or rising rates anyway... I’m not sure the Walt Disney Co will (or, as a shareholder, should) care to change.

I am not sure why they would? Nostalgia for days gone by, for a few I guess? Diehard fans? I’ll be honest, there are better attractions at other places. There are people like me who have never once considered Universal. I’ve always been super loyal to Disney because of the butterflies I still get when I board the ME or various other touch points. That’s the one thing Universal doesn’t have, no matter how many cool attractions are there. I would very much consider a Universal trip now because there is nothing to lose. Actually now may be the perfect time to plan such a trip for those feeling their Disney loyalty begin to dissolve. Will those people come back as loyal fans? Maybe. Maybe not.
My impression of the executives at WDW is they are very competitive. I hope when looking at cost savings measures they are keeping their eye on the ball of what makes a Disney fan, a Disney fan.

You said you don’t pay for resort parking and park parking, which is incorrect. You don’t pay for park parking, but you DO pay for resort parking if staying on-site.
I read it as you don't pay for BOTH resort and park parking. Once the resort parking is paid for, the park parking is gratis.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter