Magical Express Ending Service

You are right. They did get to disney but they often didn't stay 100% in the Disney bubble and took their money offsite. DME stopped that for many of the families that used it.
Absolutely, and that makes me happy. We had limited options in those days and in the 80's for example it was only $40 per night at the Contemporary. But offsite was $20 per night and at that time there was basically that one, the Polly and a couple of other smaller ones. I am who I am and I realize that others are not me, but I never would have been able to explore as widely as I did in my years going to WDW. I know I shouldn't but, I kinda feel sorry for those that confine themselves to just one place and never experience anything else, but to each his/her own. Really not any of my business.

I read it as you don't pay for BOTH resort and park parking. Once the resort parking is paid for, the park parking is gratis.
Yes, that is true, but the part that gets me is that you are spending, in some cases $300 - $400 - $500 or more per night to stay in a 3 or 4 diamond hotel (in some cases that is a stretch) and the management of WDW is so grateful for you coming there and spending the big bucks that they are willing to charge you for parking on a piece of paved property that has been paid for going onto 50 years now. Funny way to say thanks, I think. That fact alone would steer me away for onsite habitation. I think that they are counting on people renting cars and then instead of Disney coughing up the money to bring you to the property so that they can eliminate that expense and suck in a parking fee on top of that. Pretty much the same parking fee that I would pay to park in the parks lots. There are still huge numbers of hotels on the two main strips that do not charge for parking. So what perks are left for paying the long dollar to stay onsite.

There are 8 of us. For us to stay at pop for a week in February it would cost $3065, for us to stay a week in SSR 2 bedroom (so we would all be together) $6444 and both of those are with the discount which is 35% I believe. We are staying in a 4 bedroom house with pool for $1300. We are driving but if we had to rent a vehicle for our family size that would cost, $876. That is $2176 for house and car rental for the week. almost $900 less than if we stayed at Pop relying on ME and $4268 less than if we were staying at SSR. Yeah, big mistake getting rid of ME. SO many good points have been made. Not staying on property means anything you buy you have to lug around the park, that will definitely cut into profits for them Because people will leave without buying leave that disney bubble and realize they don‘t really want that stuff anyway.

Yes, that is true, but the part that gets me is that you are spending, in some cases $300 - $400 - $500 or more per night to stay in a 3 or 4 diamond hotel (in some cases that is a stretch) and the management of WDW is so grateful for you coming there and spending the big bucks that they are willing to charge you for parking on a piece of paved property that has been paid for going onto 50 years now. Funny way to say thanks, I think. That fact alone would steer me away for onsite habitation. I think that they are counting on people renting cars and then instead of Disney coughing up the money to bring you to the property so that they can eliminate that expense and suck in a parking fee on top of that. Pretty much the same parking fee that I would pay to park in the parks lots. There are still huge numbers of hotels on the two main strips that do not charge for parking. So what perks are left for paying the long dollar to stay onsite.
There are some hotels that have parking included. Once Disney started charging for parking, most of the good neighbor hotels followed suit. Still it's much cheaper to stay off site even with the $14-$20 / night parking charge.

Last trip there were 10 of us, all adults. I rented an 8 bedroom, 5 bathroom private pool home with a pool, jacuzzi and awesome game room. We also rented 2 minivans. We were about 15 minutes from Disney's main gate. Total cost for the house and vans was $2500. House was immaculately clean and comfortable and we had plenty of room to spread out. Even with factoring parking and gas it was still much less expensive than 5 rooms at an All Star resort. We also had the freedom to make some of our own meals and go off property for better food at a much lower price.

Because we weren't staying on-property and had our own transportation we didn't feel "tied" to Disney. We did the Blue Man Group and hung out at City Walk at Universal, had dinner at Medieval Times one night, took in a comedy dinner show, and went to the movies one day (it was raining).

By getting rid of ME I think it's going to drive more people off-site. If you have to pay to rent a car and park on WDW property (either resort or parks), there's not much to entice people to stay on-site and pay the overly-inflated nightly room charge.

I do find it odd from reading the posts that those who rent cars and use car/bus services feel they won’t be impacted with higher costs/less availability for those services.
I'm really late to this thread and this is a late response to this comment but this was actually what happened when they announced parking fees at the resorts. Many posters who used DME did not associate that change to be connected. Many posters said it didn't affect them because they used DME. The shoe just happens to be on the other foot now. That is not a judgement statement just what I remember from all that discussion. There was a lot of discussion back then regarding just how long DME would be around in it's complimentary form or it's form entirely. A step in charging for parking at the resorts for cars was a step in that direction regardless of all the "but DME kept people on site" talks.

There's a potential plot twist in the official statement from Disney,

"Additionally, complimentary transportation options – such as buses, monorails and Disney Skyliner – will continue to be available within Walt Disney World Resort for Disney Resort hotel guests, including to and from all four theme parks. "
That's a standard part of their descriptions. It's been around for a long time. Don't read too much into it.

I'll have to disagree with you that DME guests have not been paying shuttle fees. We have paid for DME, it was built into the over-priced room rates that WDW has, it was just not an itemized expenditure, but yes, you were paying for it. If this is the case, WDW would be instantly lowering their room rates to coincide with this service being taken away, but we all know that is not happening but it does not mean you were not paying for it.
Remember, though, that guests who drive to their hotel (renting a car or living close enough to drive rather than fly) also pay for DME, which is really a little unfair, especially now that they are charging for resort parking. I think they should keep DME but charge the subset of guests who actually use it.

Remember, though, that guests who drive to their hotel (renting a car or living close enough to drive rather than fly) also pay for DME, which is really a little unfair, especially now that they are charging for resort parking. I think they should keep DME but charge the subset of guests who actually use it.
The same could be said of many things that are bundled into the cost of a hotel stay - fitness center, pool, bell services, s’mores by the fire pit, etc. Not everyone uses them, but every rate contributes.

DME has always been tied to the Cruise side. That's what made it effective from a cost recovery point. We will need to see what happens next in the 6 months.

Might be renewed focus on the Brightline train station at DS and MCO. Timing just seems to be a year off.

Dave

DME has always been tied to the Cruise side. That's what made it effective from a cost recovery point. We will need to see what happens next in the 6 months.

Might be renewed focus on the Brightline train station at DS and MCO. Timing just seems to be a year off.

Dave
It has nothing to do with the train

The same could be said of many things that are bundled into the cost of a hotel stay - fitness center, pool, bell services, s’mores by the fire pit, etc. Not everyone uses them, but every rate contributes.

Right, but DME was rolled into the cost of the room. And I was fine with that even though I didn’t use it. The part that’s not fair is the ADDITIONAL charge to park your car there. Those of us who drive had to pay for DME (in our room rate) AND parking at the resort. At the time they announced the parking fee, I thought they should charge for both. I never thought they would eliminate DME all together!

I'm very surprised by this move. I would have expected Disney to add an additional charge for those that use MDE, not eliminate it entirely.

Now those MDE users who decide to rent a car are going to get zinged twice. Once for the cost of a rental car and then for the cost to park said rental car. As someone who always rents a car I'm not directly impacted. However, I expect car rental rates and traffic to rise as more folks move to renting a car (so it's bad for me too).

In my opinion, this is a short sighted move by Disney management. It encourages those who stay inside the Disney bubble 24/7 to explore outside hotels, theme parks and restaurants now that they have a car.

Right before covid hit, my daughter took her very first independent vacation without mom and dad. She and a friend went to WDW. It was the perfect first solo trip. She knew WDW like the back of her hand from all our family trips.

She and her friend were 20 at the time...too young to rent a car (at least without a serious up-charge for being a younger driver).

After losing a close family friend to a motor vehicle accident, we are mindful of car safety. With services like Lyft and Uber, you have no clue who is picking you up. Is the car safe? Has the car been maintained? Is the driver a speeder? Well-rested? Distracted?

Anyway, DME was perfect for my daughter’s first independent vacation. And, the friend she took had never been to Disney and is now a new “Disney fan”.

Without DME, I’m not sure what they would have done.

We will sorely miss DME. It was part of the experience.

Right before covid hit, my daughter took her very first independent vacation without mom and dad. She and a friend went to WDW. It was the perfect first solo trip. She knew WDW like the back of her hand from all our family trips.

She and her friend were 20 at the time... Without DME, I’m not sure what they would have done.

She would have gotten an Uber like everyone else. This is Florida, I'm pretty sure a 20 year old can figure out how to get an Uber. ME mattered to the disabled, to people lugging three car seats, to people who didn't want to wait for their bags and wanted an hour more in the parks. For many people, this isn't as simple as just get a rideshare.

Most likely WDW’s contract with Mears had a one-year out and prohibits Disney from establishing a similar service for a defined period of time. I’d be surprised if Disney doesn’t offer an up-charge ride and/or luggage delivery service when they are able.

This is almost certainly the reason for the termination this early and the lack of a proposed replacement (which typically can be revoked if Mears and Disney come back to the table). We obviously don't know what the state of negotiations or whether this could push Mears to cave on some of Disney's demands, but it's still possible they could still come to a new agreement. If that doesn't happen, I agree that a non-compete clause/ROFO situation probably prevents Disney from even vaguely promising some kind of replacement.

One thing I do know for sure is that this is very much NOT a cost-cutting measure as many on here are saying. While Disney has probably been losing money on DME since reopening during COVID, DME almost certainly paid for itself prior to COVID and there's no reason to think it wouldn't do so once COVID is under control. First, DVC owners probably paid most if not all of their share of DME costs in the form of annual dues (and while no DVC owner is the same, Disney certainly has the ability to figure out a number that worked in the aggregate). Second, most guests valued DME more than it actually cost Disney on per guest basis (while the free transportation meant some cost savings, those savings were never anywhere near the savings of staying off-site and paying for transportation out-of-pocket v. staying on-site with free DME), which made it easier to jack up the prices of the resorts. Finally, as many have noted, DME significantly aided Disney's efforts to keep on-site guests spending their money within the Disney bubble as long as possible.

I want to be clear that I'm not some wide-eyed Disney defender who believes they can do no wrong. You only have to look at the insane inflation in on-site prices (most Deluxes cost close to or more than the Four Seasons, despite coming nowhere close to them on a pure quality basis) over the last few years, while simultaneously not adding any new perks/taking perks away, to realize that Disney wants to squeeze every dollar it can out of its guests. That's just not what is happening here, for the reasons I laid out above and more. Either Disney is playing hardball with Mears/doesn't want to get locked into another 20 year contract with them or they have some other replacement in mind, because it wouldn't make sense for them to cut DME for financial reasons when it probably makes them more money than it costs.

Finally, the Brightline railroad (should it ever happen) is unlikely to be a viable replacement for DME and I doubt that Disney or the Brightline views it as such. The Brightline is a commuter rail line targeted at Florida residents who want an alternative means of transport on the Miami-Orlando-Tampa corridor than driving/flying. The only reason a stop at WDW is even considered is that its already sort of on the way from MCO to Tampa and there probably would be a decent market from Miami-Tampa residents choosing to take a train to WDW instead of driving or flying. Brightline is not going to try to be a shuttle line between WDW and MCO.

She and her friend were 20 at the time...too young to rent a car (at least without a serious up-charge for being a younger driver).

After losing a close family friend to a motor vehicle accident, we are mindful of car safety. With services like Lyft and Uber, you have no clue who is picking you up. Is the car safe? Has the car been maintained? Is the driver a speeder? Well-rested? Distracted?

Anyway, DME was perfect for my daughter’s first independent vacation. And, the friend she took had never been to Disney and is now a new “Disney fan”.

Without DME, I’m not sure what they would have done.

We will sorely miss DME. It was part of the experience.
I understand the concerns with ride share. But I have to say isn't there some of the same concerns one would have with using a rental car (for maintenance, safety) or for even DME (is the driver a speeder, well-rested, distracted, is the bus properly maintained) or even if you're getting a traditional taxi. I'll be one of the first to understand why someone wouldn't want to use Uber or Lyft but I usually do that more with the regulations (or lack there of) surrounding the sorta gray market of ride shares and usually my viewpoint come from insurance (or lack there of) requirements and background checks and the idea that they (especially Uber) don't want to be held to the same standards as other taxi services because they are adamant they are not taxis (that's the gray market part). FWIW Minnie Vans while they are Disney employees Disney utilizes the Lyft app for it.

But some of the things you mentioned are things that other modes of transit one would encounter. I'm sure there's a confidence factor with Disney and their reputation so assuming that their partnership with Mears accounts for something so don't think I'm not considering that but that is merely a confidence not a guarantee and like it or not that sometimes isn't a good thing to assume bad things don't happen because it's Disney (like theft for example). Disney bus drivers are employed by Disney as well it doesn't mean a Disney bus won't break down, or a driver won't accidentally miss an exit or will always be driving the exact speed limit, etc. Disney may have stricter quality control though.

She would have gotten an Uber like everyone else. This is Florida, I'm pretty sure a 20 year old can figure out how to get an Uber. ME mattered to the disabled, to people lugging three car seats, to people who didn't want to wait for their bags and wanted an hour more in the parks. For many people, this isn't as simple as just get a rideshare.
While I have my opinion that I was trying to get out with my above comment I wouldn't say that DME didn't matter to that poster's daughter just because the logistics may seem easier. Her daughter's concerns meant the DME mattered a lot to her. Now what would she have done without DME? Not gone to Disney or used a different method to get to Disney but still it mattered to her.

Parents who have car seats have a simple option of renting a car. Would they want to? Could they reasonable afford to? Do they have navigational comfort? All that and more. But the actual act of renting a car big enough for car or you can rent cars seats most of the time from rental car companies isn't difficult per se.

People who don't want to wait for their bags? I mean I think that's a bit insensitive TBH to say the other poster's daughter's concerns (even if I can discuss the practicality of some of the things mentioned) didn't matter but someone who just wants more time in the parks somehow does. Millions of people do wait for their bags all the time, just like getting rideshare. I have never had my luggage delivered to my room, we want more park time too but we wait for our luggage, I have dropped off my luggage only a very small percentage at a place but I still got to the hotel first, etc. Plus those who used the delivery to room there were plenty of complaints on the Boards related to slow delivery (I'm sure many happy customers but not always) and some people were so upset that the needed that luggage and it was delivered at 2am or whatever, etc. It's also really simple too here---you don't get that extra time in the park even though you wanted it you can figure out another way to get to Disney. If you are able to rent a car you can have your luggage there, if you don't rent a car you'll take it to the hotel, if you have an item small enough (non-actual luggage related but more like a backpack, etc) you can bring that and use a locker. Yes that is only for very specific types of travelers but the option exists.

Those with disabilities probably have the most limitations depending on their disability.

Regardless people used DME for a variety of reasons. Without DME the solution to whatever reason a person used it may be easier for one person and not so easy for another.

Wow @RoseGold, gatekeep much??? I guess, because you said so, ME shouldn’t matter to us.

And, yes, my very capable 20-year old kid can figure out how to get an Uber. She does it all the time for quick trips at college.

If you’d actually read my post, you’d see that the longer trip from the airport concerned us safety-wise due to the death of a close friend in a safety-related motor vehicle accident.

Seriously, have we really gotten to the point that NOT wanting to get into some random dude’s personally-owned and personally-maintained car 1000 miles from home makes us unreasonable??

Yes, I trust the safety of the Disney-contracted buses and drivers more.

Thanks again for telling me that DME should matter less to me than “people who didn’t want to wait for their bags and wanted an hour more in the parks.”

Sorry, but your response really rubbed me the wrong way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter