Magical Express Ending Service

Will be utilizing ME for the very first and last time at the end of this month. Since it is a very quick trip for me and my youngest, we will only have a carry on bag. So this change with the luggage service at the airport will not effect us, correct?

Disney tricked people into thinking MDE, EMH, etc., are magic, but deep down, it is all business. All cost are baked in hotel rates, park tickets, maybe even the ridiculously priced soda inside the bubble. Now they are ripping the value out of their products, will they drop their hotel/park prices accordingly? if not, this is an attempt to cheat/trick/rob people, whatever you want to call it...anyway, this appears to be a very short-sighted move, cost cutting shouldn't just be about numbers, there are intangible value on many of such things, and you can't just pin a number on that...

Will be utilizing ME for the very first and last time at the end of this month. Since it is a very quick trip for me and my youngest, we will only have a carry on bag. So this change with the luggage service at the airport will not effect us, correct?

Correct. The luggage service is only for checked in luggage being brought to your room. Carry on is brought with you on ME.

Magical Express will be no longer in service starting 2022

They probably upped hotel/ticket prices to include Magical Express but now they just drop it and you still pay the price.

Also before Uber/Lyft you would pretty much be stuck on property if you used ME, but now you can go anywhere for dinner so it as useful for Disney?

And that is exactly what Chapek and the suits are counting on. I sure hope you and the rest of us DON'T calm down eventually.
Yeah, is that the point of announcing it now?? People coming now I’m guessing are largely those who’ve been just waiting to get back (pent-up demand), so they’ll come anyway. And just hoping by the time they implement it, people will have just accepted it? Blech. I hate the corporate “must maintain HUGE profits to get our bonuses” instead of “make good profits AND keep a good product.”

For what it's worth, Mears is said to be continuing the service albeit a fee based one. This was the way back in the day

The thing with Mears offering a paid service is that they used to do so before ME existed, but when Disney started offering ME in conjunction with Mears, they rolled the price into the cost of your hotel/package. You weren't getting ME free, it was just hidden in the cost of your room/package. I'm 100% sure Disney is not going to lower their pricing when they discontinue the service. So you'll be paying the same amount to Disney plus the extra amount to Mears.

Like so many others, this cost cutting measure will definitely have me rethinking my future WDW trips. If I'm not getting a perceived value for a Disney resort, why would I pay a premium to stay there when there are so many other less expensive options off site? Heck, the only reason I haven't returned to Universal in 7 years is that I was trapped in the Disney bubble from start to finish of my WDW vacations. With ME no longer there I foresee me renting cars, staying offsite and visiting other parks/attractions.

An additional repercussion of dropping DME is savings on WDW transport (buses, boats, etc.) More people renting cars to get from MCO to WDW means fewer people riding WDW transport.

Things that have disappeared (or are announced to leave) that were standard onsite perks:

Magic Bands
Luggage Tags Mailed to you (picking them up at the resort doesn't make any sense!)
60 Day Fastpasses
Extra Magic Hours (30 mins is not the same at all)
180+10 ADR Booking Window
Resort Airline Check In
Magical Express
Resort Item Pickup

WDW resorts charge a premium and I have always felt the perks made them well worth it but even amazing theme-ing and location- the value is no longer there. Disney really, really hasn't thought this through.

Add Free resort parking which was eliminated a few years ago

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter