Major Policy Change in DVC/DCL Trade Policy UPDATE ON POST #193

OK, just got off the phone with MS. The policy has not changed at all. The problem is the policy itself. DVC has only been allotted only so many cabins for booking on each cruise. This has always been true in the past. A cruise could have availabilty, but if the DVC allottment was gone you couldn't book with points. This has always been the case. We have had it happen a couple times to us in the past. The major problem here is that ALL DVC allotted cabins up to October of 2011 are now completely booked. Plus, I was told that there is very little available for the remainder of 2011. So if you are planning to book in the fall/winter of 2011, you better do it soon.

Okay, if THIS is in fact the true story, that's totally different. Then not being able to change a points booked cruise to a different date or not being able to switch a cash reservation to using points is just a known risk of using points instead of cash.

Uhh, just my two cents here but if I correct, doesnt the new ship or ships start sailing next year? For those masochists that want to be on the new ship that is completely sold out I say go for it! I'll wait for the hype to die down.

Because if they have actually done this, as they did with the valet situation, I have no problem with changes, that they can not control, but their lack of professionalism in notifying the membership.

This find out about it, when you try to use it, is getting old.

But if it is simply an availability issue--as you and other members have since been told--I don't see why we should expect explicit communications on the matter. That would be akin to DVC publishing availability notices every time a resort is booked up for a given day.

That said, I'm still not entirely sure what has happened. CarolAnnC was obviously given the impression that something changed just today. Was that an accurate portrayal by the CM? Could this simply be a temporary situation while back-room issues are resolved?

It's always been true that members did not have access to 100% of DCL availability. Is this just a case of all the DVC slots being taken or did DCL lower the inventory being made available? Something just doesn't quite add up.

I got a hold of someone who is looking into the situation, but I doubt I will get an answer before Monday given the late hour.

Uhh, just my two cents here but if I correct, doesnt the new ship or ships start sailing next year? For those masochists that want to be on the new ship that is completely sold out I say go for it! I'll wait for the hype to die down.

Yep according to the MS agent I talked to the interest in the new ship has been so great that DCL is not willing to let go of a large allotment of rooms to DVC, so the inventory has been reduced and the interest in DVC bookings are up.

She said there might be more rooms released at the sailing time gets closer but no guarantee on that. It was a maybe.

So I think the problem Carol Ann faced was a problem with terminology as to how the MS agent explained the situation and not an actually policy change.

So I will eat crow and say JL was not responsible for this one, but we are still watching. :cool2: As DVC continues to grow and grow, this will be the future for many things DVC.

However I do think for all new members; sometimes sadly you have to call back and verify info a couple of times to see if the story is consistent. This has been the case for years with Disney reservations, only lately has it been a problem at times with MS.

This is really upsetting our 2011 plans:sad2:!! We have a back to back on the Dream in March and an Alaska booked in May. I was planning on switching one of these to points. I was hoping to switch Alaska and was just waiting to find out my son's senior trip dates. MS just informed me that I will not be able to use points on either sailing-so, I will have to decided which one to cancel-very, very, sad:sad1:... She did not ask for my member number or offer a wait list or anything. Don't know how we'll tell the kids-that we can only do one of the above-especially since my son was thinking about making the Alaska cruise his senior trip instead of the class trip.:sad1:

You'd think not, but unfortunately the answer is YES.

The recent elmination of free valet parking happened just like this. People parked their cars at night and woke up to learn they owed $10 per night for parking!

There are a couple of issues with things involving third parties like DCL and the valet parking companies.

One is that DVC really is not in control of things. They are negotiating with another company and negotiations are not always successful and the other company just cuts them off.

The other issue is that DVC seems to be incredibly inept at managing this kind of situation. Even if negotiations break down, there should not be the kind of uprooting of people's plans like this.

Whatever the underlying background, DVC is certainly not handling things like this in an acceptable way.

This is just another example of the difference between a inspiring sales pitch and the reality of the fine print. It's reminiscent of the recent reallocation of weekday/weekend points.... Sales agent says "Your points are versatile, you can go to WDW, DLC, EVEN ON A Disney Cruise. And you can buy your points and you should never need any more if your style of vacationing never changes."

The only thing I might say about your point Jim (which as always is technically correct and well said), is that it's just strange for us to view DCL as a "3rd party". Valet Parking, Concierge hotels, RCI... these are 3rd party situations that obviously can do whatever they want... but the fact that even DCL wants you to see them as being connected to DVC by trying to sell points on every cruise makes them another ring of the Disney chain. They are telling us by theri words and action they are part of the same organization.
But of course, they don't have to admit that or declare that.... it's not in the fine print :)

But if it is simply an availability issue--as you and other members have since been told--I don't see why we should expect explicit communications on the matter. That would be akin to DVC publishing availability notices every time a resort is booked up for a given day.

That said, I'm still not entirely sure what has happened. CarolAnnC was obviously given the impression that something changed just today. Was that an accurate portrayal by the CM? Could this simply be a temporary situation while back-room issues are resolved?

It's always been true that members did not have access to 100% of DCL availability. Is this just a case of all the DVC slots being taken or did DCL lower the inventory being made available? Something just doesn't quite add up.

I got a hold of someone who is looking into the situation, but I doubt I will get an answer before Monday given the late hour.

I think what happened today was they pulled some inventory from DVC and put it back in the DCL. Will they admit that, probably not.

Again I said "if" this was the situation, of a major policy change without notification, I would be disappointed. No I don't expect them to notify us about availiblity.

If this is something DCL pulled on DVC, then I have no problem with the way DVC handled it other than they can't seem to get on the same page with the info, it seems to change from MS agent to agent.

Let's just hope this is just another bump in the road for 2010. Did anyone else notice that the DVC site never even listed any 2011 points for the Disneyland hotels until 2 months past the 7 month window? Suddenly a couple weeks ago, they finally appeared... just glad I wasn't wanting to go to DLC the first part of the year, that would have been an interesting phone call.

This is just another example of the difference between a inspiring sales pitch and the reality of the fine print. It's reminiscent of the recent reallocation of weekday/weekend points.... Sales agent says "Your points are versatile, you can go to WDW, DLC, EVEN ON A Disney Cruise. And you can buy your points and you should never need any more if your style of vacationing never changes."

The only thing I might say about your point Jim (which as always is technically correct and well said), is that it's just strange for us to view DCL as a "3rd party". Valet Parking, Concierge hotels, RCI... these are 3rd party situations that obviously can do whatever they want... but the fact that even DCL wants you to see them as being connected to DVC by trying to sell points on every cruise makes them another ring of the Disney chain. They are telling us by theri words and action they are part of the same organization.
But of course, they don't have to admit that or declare that.... it's not in the fine print :)

They are part of the same organization when it benefits them. It has always been this way but recently more competetive between divisions of Disney.

I guess it is all about the bottom line.

I just feel for the new members who trust the Disney brand, would probably shy away from other timeshares, and are buying something they truly don't understand.

I know, I know, they should educate themselves. But there was a time, and yes I am getting old, that Disney stood for honestly and intregity in business and you could take them at their word without having to go to an outside source to verify the info they give.

Just talked to MS, they told me that there was NO moratorium on using DVC points for DCL cruises. However, there is a limited number of cabins allocated on each cruise that can be booked via points and those are extremely limited for the foreseeable future since the cruises are selling well due to more interesting / longer itineraries and booking on the Dream.

It was too late to call DCL directly so maybe tomorrow will bring a totally different story!

We have been DVC members since 1995 and have seen service and perks erode, especially in the last few years. In good conscience, I would have trouble recommending DVC to anyone right now.

I booked a Nov 2011 cruise last May-at that time I had limited amount of cabins to choose from (we wanted a balcony with a clear railing)-so I'm not surprised that more popular times to cruise have been "sold out" to DVC members. There probably wasn't much available in the first place. And my husband thought it was funny I was booking something so far ahead!

The MS agent I talked to didn't bother pulling up my member number-she just said that Alaska was completely gone and our March back to back on the Dream was sold out as well. The DCL agent was much nicer and tried to find a less expensive rate-but no luck there as well. She said that the only way around it would be for other DVC members to cancel-which I'm sure doesn't happen too often due to all of the various rules. Oh well, I have until December to decide which cruise to cancel...

Important that all DVC members express their opinion to:

DVCmembersatisfactionteam@disneyvacationclub.com
Well, I think opinions will vary depending on what the real problem is.

If it's nothing more than availability, I think most of us would understand that. If it's the loss of a major use of our points, that's a completely different story.

Maybe we'd all better take a deep breath and wait until we see what the situation really is.

is there a chance, Carol Ann, you got a CM that has no idea what they are talking about. If so that is horrible too that someone could be that misinformed.

I could not believe my ears when I spoke to the first CM today. I had just spoken to them mid week and last Sunday with no hint of any problems to come. So I immediately asked for a supervisor. I happened to get the same supervisor that I spoke to last Sunday. I made him repeat what he told me, and I informed him of who I was and that I intended to post this on our internet website. He did seem genuinely surprised at this turn of events today.

This is really upsetting our 2011 plans:sad2:!! We have a back to back on the Dream in March and an Alaska booked in May. I was planning on switching one of these to points. I was hoping to switch Alaska and was just waiting to find out my son's senior trip dates. MS just informed me that I will not be able to use points on either sailing-so, I will have to decided which one to cancel-very, very, sad:sad1:... She did not ask for my member number or offer a wait list or anything. Don't know how we'll tell the kids-that we can only do one of the above-especially since my son was thinking about making the Alaska cruise his senior trip instead of the class trip.:sad1:

No matter their new policy, I think it is extremely unfair that this was implemented without any "grace period" or any kind of notice at all. This really stinks.

Important that all DVC members express their opinion to:

DVCmembersatisfactionteam@disneyvacationclub.com

I have already sent off my email to the Satisfaction Team expressing our extreme displeasure with this new decision.

Yesterday just booked cruise for late Jan2011, no problem using points.

Yesterday you were fine. I would have been fine mid week when I last called. But as of today, this is no longer an option for DVC members. That is what I was told. This is a "new policy" and they are booking cruises differently..according to the CM's.

The MS agent I talked to didn't bother pulling up my member number-she just said that Alaska was completely gone and our March back to back on the Dream was sold out as well. The DCL agent was much nicer and tried to find a less expensive rate-but no luck there as well. She said that the only way around it would be for other DVC members to cancel-which I'm sure doesn't happen too often due to all of the various rules. Oh well, I have until December to decide which cruise to cancel...

They have put me on a "call list". They were careful to explain that this is NOT a waitlist. If a cancellation of a DVC member occurs, someone who currently is booked, they will call me to advise of the opening. It may not be the category you want, but at least they will call.

They said they will call up to 30 days prior to the sail date that I want. I told them since I need to cancel June 21 and prefer August 2 instead, 30 days prior does me no good since I will have already passed my existing cruise date. Not to mention plane tickets, hotels pre and post cruise, etc.

When news of this hits the public full force, I expect there will be lots of flak. I am disgusted to say the least..

You could also as PP suggested try to rent out the points you would have used for the trip and use the cash to pay for the cruise you already have booked.

OK, just got off the phone with MS. The policy has not changed at all. The problem is the policy itself. DVC has only been allotted only so many cabins for booking on each cruise. This has always been true in the past. A cruise could have availabilty, but if the DVC allottment was gone you couldn't book with points. This has always been the case. We have had it happen a couple times to us in the past. The major problem here is that ALL DVC allotted cabins up to October of 2011 are now completely booked. Plus, I was told that there is very little available for the remainder of 2011. So if you are planning to book in the fall/winter of 2011, you better do it soon.

The CM and the Supervisor I spoke with stated the policy has absolutely changed as of today. There has always been an allotted number of cabins to DVC members. But as of today there will be no new bookings nor rebookings through September 2011.

This was my first experience with MS. I called a couple of months ago to book a cruise but was told the one I wanted was "not available" but that I might be able to get it if I went though DCL. When I contacted DCL they told me cabins were still available and that I could book one through MS. I finally figured out that DVC only had a limited number of cabins to use per cruise. The next time I called I had several cruise dates prioritized, but was lucky to get my first choice.

Your experience of a couple months ago was the policy then. As of today it has changed. They stated there will be no new bookings nor rebookings through September 2011 using DVC points.

I understand the concern if DCL has pulled all the inventory from DVC. But how is this different than when all of the resort inventory for DVC is gone and only cash ressies are allowed?

Sorry to anyone that has been (or will be) impacted by this.

As my husband and I discussed this over dinner, we recalled how the Baltic Cruise we were on last month was chock full of DVC members, most of whom had booked on DVC points.

We are wondering if the DVC points that DCL turns over to CRO to book and provide them with cash, are not being converted so easily to cash reservations. Perhaps with all the AP discounts, free dining, etc., they may not be renting out regular DVC rooms at CRO prices as often as they used to.

That would explain why DCL may not want to participate in allowing so many DVC members to book on points.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter