• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I know you don’t have it listed as an option but if you’re considering Contemporary then maybe consider Poly. You can walk directly to the TTC which takes out having to switch trains. And for park transportation, you can take the boat to MK. As someone else said, the bus is usually the best way back after the race instead of walking to the monorail. That said the bus was a nightmare after the half this year but I don’t really know what caused that.
Quick Question - We plan to be at Bay Lake Tower for 2019. Confirming from what I think I have read on this thread: You need to take the monorail to the races but you can take either a bus or the monorail back with the bus being the preferred transportation method after the race?

Good to know! I think the half is the only race I’m planning to do character stops, so I could do that with my phone out. Otherwise, I wear it on my arm.

There are far more characters out during the full than the half and the lines are not nearly as long. We find it better to run the half and goof off during the full instead of the other way around.

I think we had photopass photographers at all the character stops we made this year with the exception of Pluto outside of WWoS. We also always hand the CM our phone as well though, so we get both a Photopass shot and one on our phone.
We did the same thing. Usually there is a Photopass Person and a Handler for the Character. In general it was the handler that would grab the phone and take a picture. At a lot of character stops there were 2 handlers and they were alternating getting peoples phones in the line.

Quick Question - We plan to be at Bay Lake Tower for 2019. Confirming from what I think I have read on this thread: You need to take the monorail to the races but you can take either a bus or the monorail back with the bus being the preferred transportation method after the race?
From the Contemp (and Poly and GF) You can take the monorail to and from the Half and Full. There are only Buses to the 5k and 10k. ( I am not sure if the monorail was open by the time the 10k finishes. )

Getting back to the resort after the half and the full you have two options.
You can take a bus. From the finish area the buses are about a .07 of a mile walk. Depending on when you finish there may be a long line to get on the bus. I believe the Bus for the Contemporary is shared with Fort Wilderness and Wilderness Lodge. I seem to remember stopping at both, but that may have only been based on when we finished. After the half marathon some people experienced a really long bus ride back to the resort.

You can take the monorail. From the Finish area its about .6 of a mile to the monorail and to get on the monorail you have to go through epcot security. I think the monorails Run about every 7-8 minutes on race morning. Then the ride to the TTC is about 15 minutes. When you get to the TTC you have to switch monorails. At that point the MK could be open so it can be pretty crowded at the TTC. You can wait a bit at the TTC and then in general we've found we have to stop for at least a couple minutes at every resort.

I don't know that there is a "better" way. The buses mean less of a walk, no trip through security and less time standing around and waiting (unless there is a long line for the bus)

I kind of think the monorail is neat. I like seeing the people running on World Drive and talking with people on the monorail, but it's probably not as convenient.

There are far more characters out during the full than the half and the lines are not nearly as long. We find it better to run the half and goof off during the full instead of the other way around.

I know, I know...the marathon is my race right now. If I PR my April marathon, I might change my mind, but the focus for now is to attempt a new marathon PR at WDW.

Monorail for half and full. Bus for 5K and 10K. Bus or monorail back. The buses pick up at the Contemporary Convention center.

Disney races all around are my goof off. I had some of my worst races this year but I don't care I had a blast.

One of these days, I might be a little less competitive and do more races just for fun. Right now, I'm still looking to improve my times and PR whenever I can. I also use races as motivation to improve and maintain my general fitness. Also, for me, the cost of races is a lot not to give it my all. Although there's certainly a counterargument to be made that because of those costs, one should spend as much time on the course as possible, meeting characters and whatnot.

Ultimately, there's no one size fits all approach to runDisney, which is part of what makes that race series so enjoyable.

Although there's certainly a counterargument to be made that because of those costs, one should spend as much time on the course as possible, meeting characters and whatnot.
Yep that would be my argument.

That's the beauty of runDisney though. You can race for a PR if you want or you can tae your time.

Yep that would be my argument.

That's the beauty of runDisney though. You can race for a PR if you want or you can tae your time.

Yup. No judgment against anyone who takes their time. 26.2 miles is still an accomplishment, whether you push yourself to the limit or enjoy a beer and a ride on Expedition Everest along the way. I'm hoping Dopey 2019 will be a mix of the two approaches.

Good morning, runDisney all-stars! I hope you're all having a great weekend and staying warm.

Today's Sundays are for Disney question: how many times have you been to a Disney park and how many runDisney events have you done?

I have been to Disney World five times in my life, twice as a kid and three times as an adult. I've never been to another Disney property. My 2017 trip was for marathon weekend and that was my first and only runDisney event so far.

Have a great week, everyone!
I have been to WDW at least 5 times a year for the last 21 years as a passholder.
My daughter and I went to DL and DCA for the first time July 2017.
I have only done 1 runDisney event PHM 2017, I will be doing the FTC for 2018. My plan is to do Star Wars-Dark Side and Food & Wine in 2019, but we'll see if it's in the budget.

OK - we're booked at Beach Club Villas for 2019 Marathon Weekend! We've never stayed there, so we are officially very excited. Now I need to make sure we can register for Dopey in April before it gets booked up...

Looking forward to it!

I've only ever stayed at the values before, but I'm looking to maybe upgrade to a moderate or deluxe (or maybe even rent DVC points) for marathon weekend. Any thoughts on a good first moderate/deluxe for someone who is used to the values? I may go back to values in the future, so maybe don't try to ruin me with the Grand Floridian or something like that :).

I've only ever stayed at the values before, but I'm looking to maybe upgrade to a moderate or deluxe (or maybe even rent DVC) points for marathon weekend. Any thoughts on a good first moderate/deluxe for someone who is used to the values? I may go back to values in the future, so maybe don't try to ruin me with the Grand Floridian or something like that :).
Port Orleans (either one). Deluxe it really depends on what you like and/or looking for. I love the Epcot resorts. MK resorts are great too.

I've only ever stayed at the values before, but I'm looking to maybe upgrade to a moderate or deluxe (or maybe even rent DVC points) for marathon weekend. Any thoughts on a good first moderate/deluxe for someone who is used to the values? I may go back to values in the future, so maybe don't try to ruin me with the Grand Floridian or something like that :).
I usually stay at values and the occasional moderate. But this year for marathon weekend, I rented DVC points from someone here on the DIS for a Boardwalk Studio - standard view. For 7 nights, I think I paid $100-150 total more than I had at All- Star Sports the year before. I really liked being at the Boardwalk!
Since January is a value season, I could justify the cost, but Dark Side in April is just so much more expensive, that I am booked at a value again. :)

Another vote for either PO resort. I think we've done POR twice for marathon weekend.

Another vote for the Port Orleans resorts. I’m staying at the French Quarter for Star Wars dark side in April.

I haven’t decided where I want to stay for marathon weekend. Too many choices!

Moderate: Port Orleans (I’m partial to French Quarter especially after the food court refurb)

Deluxe: Wilderness Lodge or Animal Kingdom Lodge. I’d call these “entry level deluxes” with the deluxe amenities but not as expensive as most of the rest of the category.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter