Marathon Weekend 2021

Not trying to be controversial but how many people on this site actually run wearing a mask alone on a trail?
I never have and never will but if you do that is your business, not judging.
Those that don't seem to be judged, however.
Where I run nobody does and that has been the norm (thank God) since this *pandemic began.

My first trip to MW was 2015 and I ran the Goofy. That marathon was my first and I can remember the complete rush I felt as I crossed the finish line and realized I could call myself a marathoner. I literally cried walking down the finishers chute. Wonderful memory! That moment and running the 5K with my daughter in 2018 (who was 10 at the time) and seeing her joy and excitement when she finished; she wore her medal all day and was so proud. Also a wonderful memory.

I know that cancelling our trip this year was the right move, but even without the races I’m really bummed not to be landing in Orlando right now (as our plans originally dictated). I chose not to take the virtual option either so this is the first year since 2011 that I won’t be in Disney or running Marathon Weekend races this week.

Knowing the races wouldn’t happen has had a huge motivational impact on my running this year. It shouldn’t have, and ultimately it’s all up to me to keep that motivation, but it did. I’ve been having back issues the last couple months, but I’m breaking out the Eeyore onesie and running a 5k tonight to get a jumpstart on 2022 in hopes that it happens and that I can get my fitness back to a level that helps me feel positive about myself.

918C02A6-5CE9-4D3B-8E60-691E9101EC39.jpeg

There’s a great picture of our 5k finish last year with my nephew and sister. Can’t wait to get back to moments like that.

Don’t want to steal the thunder of SAFD but we are in “race” week now. I have been feeling terribly sad as of late not having these races. So, I think it would be to share our favorite memories from marathon weekends of past.

This is going to be strange, but to me it starts with the feel of the energy I get when I drive through the gates on property and start to see the "stuff" wrapped in plastic for water stops, med tents, etc. From there the magic just builds with the combination of a place I love, the excitement of a race (or races) and being surrounded by people excited for and celebrating the same thing. Have been lucky enough to do 6 MWs, and it's that feeling that I get that starts at that moment of coming on property that always draws me back.

Last edited:
This is going to be strange, but to me it starts with the feel of the energy I get when I drive through the gates on property and start to see the "stuff" wrapped in plastic for water stops, med tents, etc. From there the magic just builds with the combination of a place I love, the excitement of a race (or races) and being surrounded by people excited for and celebrating the same thing. Have been lucky enough to do 6 MWs, and it's that feeling that I get that starts at that moment of coming on property that always draws me back.
YES

I’m with ya!

Not trying to be controversial but how many people on this site actually run wearing a mask alone on a trail?
I don't wear a mask on the trail, but I have the advantage of knowing trails where I will not see more than a couple of cyclists and maybe one other runner during a 4-6 mile run. Earlier in the pandemic when the weather was nice and the trails were very crowded I planned runs during times with fewer walkers and wore a buff around my neck or in my pocket and slipped it on when passing people (or being passed). Now that winter is here in Chicagoland, the trails are pretty empty all day. Whenever I approach anyone coming from the other direction I veer off the trail to stay at least 6 feet away.

My favorite MW memory is finishing the marathon in 2019 which was also the end of my first dopey. It was a horrible, long slog of a marathon and I was so thankful I was able to stick it out and finish.
Runner up memory is finishing in 2010 and setting a PB, a record which still stands and probably always will for me.

I don’t wear a mask when when running and most people around here don’t. I run in places where it’s easy to maintain distance so I don’t feel I need one.

“We hope to see you again real soon! IN PERSON!”

I know it’s not a guarantee and plans can change, but I take that as a positive sign that they’re planning to stick around.

I agree, and it is a little hope that this time next year instead of organizing running gear for a solo 5K in the dark I will be getting set to run around Epcot with some of you and another 10,000 people!

Don’t want to steal the thunder of SAFD but we are in “race” week now. I have been feeling terribly sad as of late not having these races. So, I think it would be to share our favorite memories from marathon weekends of past.

I will start out with the fact that without marathon weekend and runDisney I would not have so many amazing friends that I have today. It’s amazing how Disney/running can bring people together.

I never heard of RunDisney or marathon weekend until I saw those sweet New Balance running shoes online somewhere in 2015. Later that year, I ran my first half and said my one and only full would be Marathon Weekend 2017.

MW17 - my first full and it was incredible. I remember it being so cold and people in the corrals were wrapped up in anything not nailed down in their hotel rooms. So much fun. I got misty eyed on Main Street USA.

MW19 - Like so many others, “one and done” turned into “see you real soon.” This time it was Dopey. I hosted the morning meetups, attended my first HH gathering and made so many friends that weekend. Running in the mornings, barnstorming the parks at night. My twins and I stayed out late the night before the full - best decision I’ve ever made.

MW20 - Rogue 2 and the Goof Troop Roving Road Party. I’ve never had so much fun running (even with the mystery rash). Yes, it was ridiculously hot, but it was ridiculously fun and our beverage crews were unparalleled. Solo trip meant plenty of time in the parking lot after races and a full blown DATW. I’ll never forget Snow White’s reaction to our rowdy crew, but Three Cabarellos remains a blur.

I’ve often said MW feels like a class reunion. The difference is I actually look forward to seeing my fellow runDisney all stars. I miss you all and I can’t wait to be way too loud in your company real soon.

“We hope to see you again real soon! IN PERSON!”

I know it’s not a guarantee and plans can change, but I take that as a positive sign that they’re planning to stick around.
This quote was everything I needed right now. I rewatched it just to make sure I heard him correctly! Of course, not a guarantee, but a sign of hope. It sounds ridiculous but the excitement of signing up for my first marathon during the 2022 marathon weekend is what’s keeping me going right now.

MW20 - Rogue 2 and the Goof Troop Roving Road Party. I’ve never had so much fun running (even with the mystery rash). Yes, it was ridiculously hot, but it was ridiculously fun and our beverage crews were unparalleled. Solo trip meant plenty of time in the parking lot after races and a full blown DATW. I’ll never forget Snow White’s reaction to our rowdy crew, but Three Cabarellos remains a blur.

You sure you don’t mean our time with Mary Poppins? ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter