Marathon Weekend 2021

Gerald (RezRuns) is one of the best out there... his videos are awesome, uplifting and fun. And he's just an awesome guy that i can luckily call a friend... it was his videos that initially got me running Disney
Is everything OK with him? I think he's only posted one video to YouTube in the last year.

My wife and I ran into him at the Magic Kingdom last Marathon Weekend. We had a 5-10 minute conversation. My parents (who were with us) thought it was crazy that we ran into someone we "knew" in the Magic Kingdom.

Congratulations to all those that ran the "virtual" 10k today!

I ran the 10k today in snowy Alberta. It was colder than yesterday ; -7C (19.4 F).

Yet again, I went out too fast. That led to a new PR for me! Garmin states 52:27 for the 10k! (I am now stressing I am depleting my reserves that I need for the next two days).

I look forward to updates from others that are running this weekend! 9.3 miles done... 39.3 to go!

So I knocked out my virtual 5K last night. The route I chose wound up being closer to 4.1 miles so that gives me added benefit of reducing tomorrow's currently projected number of miles to finish my multi day virtual marathon to under 8 and hopefully much closer to 7. This also means I can sleep longer in anticipation of waking up early enough to finish my run and watch the NFL playoffs all day.

Favorite MW memories...

This is hard - there are so many! Obviously foremost are all of the fun times I've had with friends over the years. I can maybe single out a favorite year in 2018: I hated the cold weather, but had a basically perfect Dopey experience outside of that - enjoyed the heck out of all four races, no illness or injuries, and bagged a big marathon PR. I don't know if the perfection of that year can ever be replicated.

I'll also single out MW2012. I knew nothing of rD races, but an old friend was running the half and I drove over to DHS to visit with her the day after. I'll never forget seeing the tail end of the marathoners going down Hollywood Blvd and realizing they looked like REAL people, not elite professionals. I just never knew average recreational runners did races! The next day, I signed myself and my son up for the PHM 5K the following month, and the rest is history.
This is very similar to how I got into runDisney. During a visit to Disneyland in 2008 over their half marathon weekend, I got intrigued. In 2009 I actually asked some runners walking to the parks after finishing up the race and they were very encouraging and outlined a real path to finishing a half marathon that someone like me could possibly hope to achieve. A nephew's baby blessing postponed my plans to run the 2010 Disneyland Half, but I registered for 2011 and the rest is now history. Little did I realize that one conversation in August 2009 would result in 10 years later.

Is everything OK with him? I think he's only posted one video to YouTube in the last year.

My wife and I ran into him at the Magic Kingdom last Marathon Weekend. We had a 5-10 minute conversation. My parents (who were with us) thought it was crazy that we ran into someone we "knew" in the Magic Kingdom.
he was super busy selling his house and moving to a new one so he mentioned he was pulling back on a few videos. i haven't checked Facebook lately though so i cant be certain if he had any illness. i did see him on a few videos with RunningWithMakeup and others so he is still running. he did the virtual nyc marathon again this year, i believe, and had a good fast time, so he is doing well in running.

Last edited:
Ran my Half today with my daughter. It was 17 degrees outside, but hey by the end it had warmed to 19 degrees... Distinctly did not feel like Florida! But it was a really fun run. My daughter did fantastic! She stayed strong to the end, where she sprinted to the finish - leaving me in the dust! So proud of her. Next up, Marathon.

Attachments

• 92A2CC7C-FA54-4E5C-B352-A279A565C53F.jpeg
    92A2CC7C-FA54-4E5C-B352-A279A565C53F.jpeg
    65.8 KB · Views: 27
Congratulations to all those that ran the "virtual" Half today!

I ran the 13.1 miles today in snowy Alberta. The temperature was -4C (24.8 F).

Ended up with a new PR for the Half... Garmin states 1:56:47. I never thought I would see the day when I broke the 2 hour mark. I sure wish I was in Florida to celebrate with a No Way Jose.

I look forward to updates from others that are running this weekend! 22.4 miles done... 26.2 to go! (I do not know how I a going to come up with the energy to run the full tomorrow. I have extreme respect for those that have done this before.)

I finished my multi day marathon today with 7.96 miles to get me to 26.3 for the week. Interestingly enough, today was my fastest pace of the week despite it being the single longest run I have done since the WDW Marathon last year. I don't regret signing up. It provided the necessary motivation to get out and run when it otherwise would have likely proved far too easy to skip "today's" run and run "tomorrow." In my case, tomorrow almost always turns into next week and then the week after that. So yes I paid a lot for my favorite medal in the distance that I chose not to run in one setting, but it will probably save me money over not exercising so there's that.

Between memories of past years and seeing people at Disney now and seeing people doing the virtual races at home, if they re-opened registration for the virtual races today, I'd sign up.
If they announced an in-person race I'd hesitate a bit (because Florida and also I'm not even doing local in-person races at the moment) but still might sign up.

The nostalgia and FOMO combination is intense right now.

Congratulations to all those that ran the "virtual" Half today!

I ran the 13.1 miles today in snowy Alberta. The temperature was -4C (24.8 F).
View attachment 549060

Ended up with a new PR for the Half... Garmin states 1:56:47. I never thought I would see the day when I broke the 2 hour mark. I sure wish I was in Florida to celebrate with a No Way Jose.

I look forward to updates from others that are running this weekend! 22.4 miles done... 26.2 to go! (I do not know how I a going to come up with the energy to run the full tomorrow. I have extreme respect for those that have done this before.)

You're giving @DopeyBadger a run for the "All Dopey-all PR" record. Congrats!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter