Marathon Weekend 2022

Good morning, runDisney all-stars! We are 58 days away from the start of Marathon Weekend!

Since folks are booking some ADRs this week, let’s talk celebrations! For this week’s Sundays are for Disney, how are you celebrating at Marathon Weekend? If you don’t have any plans, what was your favorite past celebration? Or what’s your dream celebration?

My celebration begins at the Hurricane Hanna’s meetup on Friday when I get to see my long lost runDisney friends for the first time in two years. It continues Friday and Saturday morning with pre-race meetups and the reunion of the Goof Troop. Things kick up a notch after the full with parking lot beers and a late Sunday night meal at Ohana.

And then, my friends, it’s showtime. The greatest show on dirt. The reason for the season. The real reason Disney implemented considerable social distancing between their characters and us savages. Drinking Around The World.

All in all, this trip will be one big celebration of being back at one of my favorite places on Earth with some of my favorite runners.

Have a great week, everyone!

SAFD: My ADR didn’t go so well. I’ve got alerts set up.

Wed - Expo beer

Thu - Parking lot beers
Alert set for space 220 lunch

Fri - Parking lot beers
Alert set for Space 220 lunch
Meetup at Hurricane Hannah’s

Sat - Parking lot beers
Brunch @ Wine Bar George
Dinner Topolino’s Terrace

Sun - Parking lot beers
’Ohana - alert set for something later than 5:30.

Mon - DATW

Last edited:
SAFD: This is a mix family vacation and marathon weekend so only a small portion will really be a celebration of the marathon. We did get all of the ADRs we wanted, including finally getting into Topolino, but that one is later in the trip than we had hoped. We also booked a private family photo shoot in MK one morning which we will use for our son's birthday pictures which I'm excited for.

One thing I am not happy about is the lack of any announcement about the kids events. We want our son to do whatever the event is and I didn't even see an acknowledgement from rD that they were cancelling it to W&D weekend. I wish they would give us more details or just be honest and say they can't figure it out and are cancelling.

The one ADR that will be a celebration is our Boma dinner Sunday night. Every marathon weekend included a meal at Boma and this will be full 2 of 2 with Boma dinner Sunday night.

SAFD: My ADR didn’t go so well. I’ve got alerts set up.

Wed - nothing

Thu - Parking lot beers
Alert set for space 220 lunch

Fri - Parking lot beers
Meetup at Hurricane Hannah’s

Sat - Parking lot beers
Brunch @ Wine Bar George
Dinner Topolino’s Terrace

Sun - Parking lot beers
’Ohana - alert set for something later than 5:30.

Mon - DATW
I’m sensing a theme…

Good morning, runDisney all-stars! We are 58 days away from the start of Marathon Weekend!

Since folks are booking some ADRs this week, let’s talk celebrations! For this week’s Sundays are for Disney, how are you celebrating at Marathon Weekend? If you don’t have any plans, what was your favorite past celebration? Or what’s your dream celebration?

My celebration begins at the Hurricane Hanna’s meetup on Friday when I get to see my long lost runDisney friends for the first time in two years. It continues Friday and Saturday morning with pre-race meetups and the reunion of the Goof Troop. Things kick up a notch after the full with parking lot beers and a late Sunday night meal at Ohana.

And then, my friends, it’s showtime. The greatest show on dirt. The reason for the season. The real reason Disney implemented considerable social distancing between their characters and us savages. Drinking Around The World.

All in all, this trip will be one big celebration of being back at one of my favorite places on Earth with some of my favorite runners.

DD wants to celebrate our Dopey finish with dinner at Beaches and Cream.

SAFD:

This year is different for my family. School and commitments means a fast return right after the Marathon for DD & DW. So we are coming in early on 12/31 and having a vacation before MW. I was able to get all the ADR’s we wanted on the days before and during the races. Unfortunately, a post marathon meal will have to be Geyser Point at the resort before those two have to go.

ADR’s earlier in the week include Tusker House, Jungle Navigstion, San Angel Inn and Whisperng Canyon - all family favorites. I have alerts up for ‘Ohana on New Years Eve. The first day I could book was 60 days out from New Years Eve so had little chance to succeed. Hoping we get lucky. Our first night is actually at Poly, then we are moving to the Wilderness Lodge. This is our first trip as new DVC members, getting so excited!

SAFD: I’ll be with all of you in spirit from my virtual Marathon weekend here in (probably snowy) MN, but if I were going to be in WDW, I would definitely celebrate my not-death-from-running by going to Beaches & Cream.

I’m going to have to decide what local malt & burger place I want to go to on Marathon Weekend to help me pretend I’m at B&C 😋😋

I booked pedicures for my mom and me Saturday morning at Mandara Spa, and we’re having a late family lunch at Le Celier Saturday as well. I’m doing the 10k, hence the pedicure, and my dad is doing the half. We figured a late lunch would be better since my dad will probably be drained by dinner time 🤪

SAFD: We’re staying offsite so my ADR windows are opening day by day. So far Wednesday and Thursday are open to book. Unfortunately, other members of my party aren’t locked into flights, what days they’ll be there, or even who’s coming; so I’m guessing and booking as best I can.

I know I’ll be going to parks Monday and Tuesday after the marathon and I know a little better what people will be there and who won’t on those days, so those are easier to plan. They also aren’t open for me to book yet.

So far I’ve got lunch at Steakhouse 71 for Wednesday. We will plan for the Expo afterward. There remains a good chance we will be going to a park Thursday, so I’ve got nothing planned yet. I know I’m not doing parks on Friday and Saturday.

It’s all pretty much a mess, but that describes everything my family tries to plan these days. Kids are older, school and activities are more important, adults making decisions for the kids don’t want to talk to one another, and, as the single, I have to be amenable to pretty much anything for anything to work. This used to be more fun.

The only celebration I can set for sure is the one in my mind when I know I’m going to finish the marathon and when I’m moving through Epcot toward the finish line.

I didn't know this was a thing. I think I am going to try and get a "day of" lounge "reservation" if they are still doing that. It's just me, and I particularly like sitting at the bar.

SAFD: I am thinking Sanaa for a late lunch or early dinner Sunday. Beyond that, I don't really have any particular celebrations--except to get my obligatory post-race Chocolate Milkshake (Okay, Frappe if you really want to know and are from N.E.) from Beaches and Cream or Ghiradelli. I have cleared my calendar and have a late Monday flight, so DATW is on for me--now if I can just figure out how to find everyone when I inevitably arrive late!

ETA: I am having so many issues with the Disney website looking at restaurants and reservations--it's really frustrating, and even more f-ed up than usual.

I ran into issues with the app, but the site worked fine for me.

I'm on my own for the 5K, so I'll grab counter service. Booked Olivia's for late breakfast after the 10K, Skipper Canteen for lunch after the half, and Citrico's for early dinner after the full.

SAFD: I had trouble deciding my dining plans since I’m only down there for the race days + half days before and after. So I’m trying to squeeze in parks/shopping/DS but still be back in the hotel at a decent hour. So I decided on Steakhouse 71 Sunday night celebrations. I grabbed a California Grill res for Monday night (during fireworks) in case my husband meets me down there. Only other reservation during the week I have is Brown Derby for the Cobb Salad. I’m getting paranoid about eating new places and eating alone so I’ll probably do a lot of quick service and grocery delivery.

I also had issues booking on the app but on the computer it worked just fine.

My birthday being the day-of, and the fact that I am "already trained" for a full, were the only reasons I was able to convince DH to pull the trigger on this trip this year. I'm really hoping that he has an amazing time with the 10k and this can be a "thing" we do as a family in the future.

Anyhow, celebration plans:
Wednesday: Sanaa for lunch--yay bread service! (will stalk to switch it to an early dinner)

Thursday: Skipper Canteen for early dinner, and then MK fireworks. I love fireworks.

Friday: Terralina lunch

Saturday: Homecomin' brunch--hellooooo blueberry mimosas!

Sunday: I'm hoping to convince DH to go to DS and get cookies from Gideon's while I'm running as my birthday treat, to be eaten in the car post-marathon.

Right now... the Sunday plan is to drink around the monorail... followed by drinking around the world on Monday!

Basically... drink to forget the pain 😂

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter