Marathon Weekend 2024

SAFD: I’m struggling with this one a bit because it falls so early - I’m already not looking forward to resort rates and crowds. But I haven’t missed a MW in 10 years, so odds are I’ll find a way to make this one work!

Races: probably the 10K and half. I haven’t done a WDW 5Kin a while and would like to, but am unwilling to put up with the expo craziness on day 1 to do it lol! Very much looking forward to doing a full spectator experience for the marathon this time.

Goals: just finish and have fun while doing it!

SAFD: I will be at MW for sure for the meetups and camaraderie, but after doing three marathons and two Dopeys in a row, I am taking a break from the marathon distance (and associated training). I'm thinking 10K and Half, and spectating the other races. I'm signing up for at least the 10K at DL that next week, but I'll probably end up doing the challenge for the C2C medal. I'll be training this year to improve my confidence and time for the half marathon, so we'll see how that goes.

I do think I'll do another Dopey at some point, but not sure when yet. I might go for anniversary years or just play it by feel and FOMO status.

SAFD- first- thanks for clarifying the acronym. I was trying to figure it out! I’m not sure. If I go with my gut…. I want to do the HM. I absolutely loved it during Princess 2019. If my husband wants to do the 10k, I’d probably join him. But… we are only a 6 hour drive from Disneyland and we are toying with the family (I have two kids, 12 and almost 11) doing the 5K and the two of us doing the 10k. I have no interest in doing the half at DL, at least right now! Maybe I’ll get caught up in registration frenzy! But right now…. I’ll say I’m planning for the half for MW. I’m also at a couch to 5K level currently… so I need to get going!

SAFD: I wish! But my mother is coming to stay for the holidays until 12/31, and then I have to help my grandparents de-holiday the house.

But if someone waved a magic wand and told me I could go (sometime before I register for the DL races next month), I would do a crazy thing and register for Dopey, despite saying repeatedly that I would never run a marathon.

SAFD: after my DW's performance last week, she will be going ahead for next year, but that might be the end of any run over 13.1 miles.

Last week, she was at the start of corral C, and she heard something pop in her hip around mile 13. After that, she was hobbling to the finish, and beat the balloon ladies on clock time by 1 minute 42... She seems ok, now, but I worry about her.

Then she wants to do the Disneyland half the next week.

So I guess her goals are to finish one last Marathon.

SAFD:

Yes, lol. I will finish this darn marathon!!! Although I am already v stressed about it given how the past two years have gone.

I will either be registering for 5k, 10k, full, which is what I had this year or Dopey.
Pros/Cons to former: I like the shorter races as practice and fun/costumes, while having the option to still get sleep before marathon on Saturday (and less chance of ruining my feet before). However, I have CrD which gives me 2 registrations so I would have to still show up on registration day.
Pros/Cons to latter: One registration, I’d have it done through CrD so no stress there. Some of you know I’m not a fan of the Dopey mascot though, so I would have to get over it. It’s a bigger deal and seems to be the thing to do but I’m worried about my ability to do a half before what might be my first marathon.

Seems wild to be jumping on a thread for 2024 already but I’m riding the wave of excitement!

SAFD: Hoping to snag a Dopey spot, but I really want to do DL. I guess we will see what happens after registration for DL. If I get in for that I’ll be forced to make a decision.

Goals: If I get a Dopey spot I’d like to improve my marathon time. Between now and then I’m hoping to shed some weight and race a half for time to get a better POT to submit. I ran a 2:09 and change this fall which I can use next year if rD keeps the same requirements. My race was too late to submit this year. Im hoping I can move up to B next year.

SAFD: My mind is all over the place on whether I will do this weekend at all, and if so, whether to do just the half, just the full, Goofy, or Dopey. Some of it depends on whether I want to try to get into the DL races the next week or not.

I've never done Dopey before, and had been starting to feel I should get that medal once before I fully retire from the marathon distance. But I never had much interest in Dopey because people tend to say the 5k is a crowded cluster, and the idea of getting up so early 4 mornings in a row is unappealing. Reading some reports from this past MW kind of confirms that for me, I don't know. Also I'm not a huge fan of the character Dopey as @lookingforsunshine says. It just kind of feels like something a runDisney runner should do once at least.

If I do wind up doing DL, I may just skip this weekend or do just the half so I can get the Coast to Coast. Not sure yet. This weekend works pretty well for my work schedule while DL doesn't, so I may just do MW and skip DL. I may just have to see where the spirit leads me (and what's sold out!) on registration day.

Edited to add that my family has really fallen out of interest in Disney vacations generally, with all the changes in the past few years, so that's a barrier too. If I do a solo trip Dopey may be more in the cards, so I'm not missing family time with early bedtimes so many days in a row.

SAFD Noticed this thread just in time for the big question, I need to pay closer attention to these things
Absolutely planning on Dopey #5 in 2024. Registration is on the calendar, fingers crossed. And of course I’m another who said “I’ll never run a marathon”

Honestly, the Dopey medals have always been the weakest ones of MW. The 2018 is probably my favorite one, but I think I like the 2023 medal better than 2022 or 2020.
Gotta disagree. Remember, there have been a number of far worse medals featuring Oswald the Irrelevant Rabbit! 🤣🤣🤣

ETA: In all seriousness, the Goofy medals have often been really bizarre designs that didn't fit in with the theme of the weekend or design of the other medals. As unfortunate as that "10" design was this year, it was still orders of magnitude better than that spinning orange Goofy monstrosity!

SAFD: I had a blast at marathon weekend and definitely plan on coming back for the half again next year. Now that I know I can finish, I want to enjoy it more next year, maybe be fast enough to stop for a character (or at least not panic if I need to stop for the bathroom). I'm not fast enough yet to actually submit a proof of time, but we'll see where the year takes me.

Last edited:
SAFD: going to have to skip 2024 for a few reasons, but am determined to be back to MW someday to do Goofy (truly have no interest in Dopey for the 4 wake-ups). I’m definitely the Disney fanatic in my family and though my wife is a good sport, I need to balance Disney with other trips for her. Plus we have 3 kids under 6 and the training time for marathon, plus leaving them with family for a long weekend is a big ask.

Thinking I’ll do a few other RD weekends in the next few years as part of family vacations as an excuse to go every other year or so, and then do Goofy in a few years!

Though I’m not running in ‘24 I’ll probably check in with this thread from time to time. Good luck to everyone who is running!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter