Marathon Weekend 2024

Real talk from those of you that were just there (or do lots of race weekends.)
How do you fill up your time when you do a race-cation and don't go to the parks?

DH is a go-go-go kind of guy. And even though he's "not a runner" and did 0 training for the 5 and 10k this year, he's already made a comment about running those AND the half next year. But going to Disney and not going to the parks seems really weird, and I honestly don't know what he would do all day to keep himself busy! There's only so much wandering around Disney Springs that you can do in a week, and he did a lot of it on this last trip. Hanging out at the pool will only last so long.

Fortunately we have APs and go a few times a year so don’t necessarily feel the need to hit the parks hard, that maybe makes a big difference. I needed to work some on Thursday and Friday so that kept me busy. We resort hopped to eat lunch (hit Geyser Point twice, so good) just for a change of scene and since we had the time. Popped into MK to get one last ride on Splash, but that was mainly a quick in/out. Needed to get some blister stuff one day so went back to the Expo briefly one afternoon. I had rented a car and was glad I had one, helps move around property more efficiently.

I sat out by the pool for like 15 minutes on Saturday - it was nice and sunny and I really wanted an adult beverage (or five), that was hard!

Does he golf? I like golfing at Disney when time allows.

Otherwise just lounged around way more than we normally would, which was kind of nice!

How do you fill up your time when you do a race-cation and don't go to the parks?

DH is a go-go-go kind of guy. And even though he's "not a runner" and did 0 training for the 5 and 10k this year, he's already made a comment about running those AND the half next year. But going to Disney and not going to the parks seems really weird, and I honestly don't know what he would do all day to keep himself busy! There's only so much wandering around Disney Springs that you can do in a week, and he did a lot of it on this last trip. Hanging out at the pool will only last so long.
Tri-Circle-D Ranch at FW offers trail rides and carriage rides, and you used to be able to tour the barn and learn how the horses are cared for, see the veterinary area, etc. I’m not sure if that tour is back since Covid, though.

Another vote for resort hopping, specially that time of year.
We were blocked out from the parks for the first 3 days of our trip this year, so we visited and saw the christmas decorations at all of the monorail resorts, as well as beach club and animal kingdom. It was actually really nice, since when we're not blocked out, we're usually either at the parks or at our own resort.
If you're staying at a DVC resort, the community hall has a bunch of crafts you can do. I think all the resorts also have activities during the day, as well as marshmallows at night.

DH is a go-go-go kind of guy. And even though he's "not a runner" and did 0 training for the 5 and 10k this year, he's already made a comment about running those AND the half next year. But going to Disney and not going to the parks seems really weird, and I honestly don't know what he would do all day to keep himself busy!

I think that there is a tipping point where a runDisney trip were it becomes a lot more about running and a lot less about Disney. I suspect that if your husband throws in a third race, he might experience that. Two early morning wake-ups are easier to power through. When you add a third day, the concept of hanging around the hotel and a late morning nap becomes more understandable. Then do a light activity (this is where a swim/dip in the hot tub, watch a movie, miniature golf, resort hopping, i.e. something you couldn't do at home, come in), an early sit down dinner (maybe at a different hotel each day?) and then back to the hotel room to prep for the next morning and bed.

I had every intention of spending more time in the parks and it just didn't happen. I was absolutely stunned at how the days flew by. As I meet more and more people in the runDisney community, each trip has become more of a social event. I spent almost the entire afternoon at the Expo, went back to ESPN for a meet-up on Friday morning, and spent most of Saturday afternoon at a meet-up at Disney Springs. I may not have park tickets for Springtime Surprise and I'm seriously considering going without them. I brought two books to MW and barely touched either one other than on the plane.

One of my favorite non-park days was spent at Animal Kingdom Lodge. We still have some neat impressions stencilled from the art that's carved into the floor of the lobby at Jambo House. The Boma buffet was so good and different from anything I've ever tried. We really enjoyed the views of the savannah, especially from Kidani Village and spent quite a bit of time chatting with the cast members who work with the animals. We also fed flamingos.

We've also enjoyed a few days spent solely at Disney Springs. Our oldest daughter got the best makeover at the Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique there before going to a character buffet at one of the resorts. We also love the boat ride to the resorts in that area. There are still so many restaurants outside the parks that we want to try. The movie theater at Disney Springs is also very nice.

When going with the family I have to promise to not let the running over take the whole trip. So we find a compromise. I hustle back from the races and get ready. Generally my family is ready at that point so we head out and hit the parks until dinner time. After dinner I return to the resort and get ready for the next day. Usually in bed between 8-10. They tend to go back to the parks in the evening. I do this for all four races - clearly slower and later for the half and full.

But when I have gone solo I have reduced park time by walking at DIsney Springs, napping, going to a movie or two and exploring the other resorts, My last solo trip I jumped on the Skyliner and just rode it to all the resorts it went to/near and explored. Was a lot of fun.

We've done several RunDisney weekends without park tickets and had a great time. Checkout the tours/activities on the Enchanting Extras page of Disney's website. Many don't require tickets. Not necessarily cheaper than park tickets, but something different to do when the parks get stale.

I'm been considering signing up for Dopey again just so I can hang a nicer looking Dopey medal on my wall lol (it can't get any worse than this year....right?!?!)

SAFD: Never fear Dopey potential runners, the 2024 medals will be absolutely gorgeous. How do I know? I'm 90% certain I'm "just" registering for Goofy and they're always gorgeous the race weekends I'm doing less early morning wake-ups... (2018 and 2022 come to mind.)

Have you considered sending him off on a tour? I've done the Kenndey Space Center tour and the Crystal River manatee snorkel/Airboat ride tours picking up at the Swan/Dolphin. Both were all day itineraries that were quite interesting.

There's also Disney tour options, such as backstage tours or diving in the Living Seas (highly recommended.)

Besides resort hopping, there's also a variety of activities at Disney Springs.

If you guys have a rental car, there are a ton of cool day trips within driving distance of Disney.

Fortunately we have APs and go a few times a year so don’t necessarily feel the need to hit the parks hard, that maybe makes a big difference.

Have you considered sending him off on a tour? I've done the Kenndey Space Center tour and the Crystal River manatee snorkel/Airboat ride tours picking up at the Swan/Dolphin. Both were all day itineraries that were quite interesting.

DH and I are usually go-go-go travelers as well, but when we are there for MW that is the focus. We are APs and go several times a year, which also helps us feel like we don't HAVE to be in the parks all the time. While I'm running, resting or doing meet-ups, if he's not with me DH will catch up on work stuff or we often have family come stay for some of the time since they are only an hour away. We go to late breakfast or lunch in a park or at a resort, and he loves a pool bar so will spend a lot of time just hanging out there if the weather is good.

Since you have a car, I was going to suggest KSC, Daytona, Clearwater or Crystal River, which are all within a few hours drive.

We came in early for MW this year (over NYE) and wanted to stay clear of the parks. We did Sangria University at CSR as well as mini golf. Dinner at Toledo took some time as well. Football to watch if that’s your thing too, love City Works. Like someone else said, check out enchanting extras, there are so many things to do.

We had a lot of fun relaxing and didn’t miss the parks. In fact we were there almost 2 weeks and this trip we had the least park time ever.

SAFD: The registration is one day before we leave for Springtime Surprise
Ah! I’m so glad I read this. I didn’t realize this. I will also be down at WDW for SS on registration day 😩 Disney wifi?! Noooo. And as my luck has it I will also be on property on the Disneyland registration day. I’m going to need an extra bag to pack all my devices. 😵‍💫

I spent very, very minimal time in the parks during the week. Just a pop in for a meal (AP’s) so I could have gone without. Expo, springs, found someone in an rD FB group to braid my hair so traveled to her resort, hopped resorts for food, met up with another group of runners. I grabbed coffee each morning after the race and either sat in the lounge area or relaxed in my room. I tried to be back in my room by 6 every night. Time goes by pretty fast. I forgot the gingerbread house was still up at GF so I would’ve done that too. With the way the days shake out next MW I don’t think I’m going to want to be in the parks at all 😬

I'm not really the target audience of your question but this past trip we rented a boat for an hour from the contemporary. That was a nice relaxing way to do something different.

Ah! I’m so glad I read this. I didn’t realize this. I will also be down at WDW for SS on registration day 😩 Disney wifi?! Noooo. And as my luck has it I will also be on property on the Disneyland registration day. I’m going to need an extra bag to pack all my devices. 😵‍💫
It can be done. After an hour in the room and some colorful language aimed at multiple devices for this past dopey, 2 phones, 2 iPads, and a laptop made their way to poolside at Beach Club for the fun time that was MW registration. Phones on cellular, iPad and computer on phone hotspot and other iPad on Disney WiFi. Ultimately it was an iPad and hotspot that secured the coveted dopey registration. I’m not planning on DL and don’t think I’d wish that stress level on anyone, but I will wish you best of luck 🤞 you can do it!

It can definitely be done. I got into Dopey this year from a pullout in Grand Teton National Park using my laptop and DH's phone tethered to my meager signal. You got this!

SAFD: definitely in for 2024, and every year after that... I think MW has become my main personality trait 🤦‍♀️ Seriously though, it's one of the only things I *really* look forward to and do totally for myself. Being spouse/kid/pet-free with a remote job sure helps planning a lot. I will use my gold status for the marathon registration, and try my luck for the 10k the regular way. I'd like to volunteer for the 5k if I can figure out how to do that. Right now I'm agonizing over the DL races... my knee arthritis means I can't run two days in a row (or at least I don't unless there's something suuuper special to risk it on that’s not the day before a marathon), so Dopey isn't in my future, but this is probably the only time my CrD will cover those races, and they are shorter and the first back and I've never done one... lots to think about in a very short amount of time. Another wrench in things will be scheduling jaw surgery for sometime this year, which I think is mostly out of my hands. I have my first appointment with the surgeon on Monday and am going to pressure for a timeline now that I know the all of these dates! Legs not affected, but will have to rest while my facial bones heal and a liquid diet for 8ish weeks will sap my energy. I will walk it all if I have to, but I will be out there!

How do you fill up your time when you do a race-cation and don't go to the parks
Stayed at AKL. Arrival day I got there in the early afternoon, dinner at Boma and the nighttime safari. Expo day, MK until 1 pm then expo then dinner at DS at 4:30. 5k day was going to go to the parks but I was people-d out already. I went back to the hotel, went to a leisurely breakfast at Sanaa, read my book and watched animals on the balcony, watched several episodes of uninterrupted Netflix (a rarity with kids), dinner at Jiko. 10k day I ate breakfast at the hotel, hung out on my balcony and watched animals, brunch at Olivias, walked around the boardwalk and got a dole whip slushy thing on my way to the HH meetup, back to the hotel for dinner. HM day was lunch at Morimoto, a little strolling through DS, a couple episodes of my show, more time on the balcony. Marathon day I actually went to MK for a bit. Day after was DATW.

My experience doing MW solo with minimal park time was awesome. I am usually also a go-go-go person. Booking meals at other resorts takes a shocking amount of time With the bus transfers. And you can explore the resort a bit too. The days feel so short with races in the morning and the early bedtimes, I never felt bored.

Forgot to answer SAFD: I’m not coming to MW 2024 but I’ll be back so following along with the rest of you This year. I am shooting for DL 10k/half for 2024. I really enjoyed MW and while I‘m still saying one and done for the marathon, the weekend as a whole was such a fun time that I don’t think I would feel like I was missing out by doing 2-3 other distances.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter