Marathon Weekend 2024

Just a clarification on C2C: in the past to get that medal you had to run a half or longer in each park in the same calendar year. So if that’s still going to be the case, 2023 W&D and 2024 DL half wouldn’t count, it would have to be a 2024 WDW half/full paired with the DL half. Would they shift to requiring races be done in the same RD “season”, ie starting with 2023 W&D and ending sometime mid 2024? Who knows! They made things very confusing with the Club thing.

(BTW, Im of the mindset that if you’ve done a RD half on each coast you should qualify for C2C no matter what years it happens but they won’t let me hand out the medals lol)
Yes! That's the plan W&D and Disneyland both in 2024. No more Disney for me in 2023 (okay except for 1 day in Disneyland this August but THAT'S IT)

Maybe I'm in for the 10k. Plan on an hour and 10 minutes! Pam might like the idea of rent-a-dog for an hour or so. Does she need to bring her own dam poop bags or are they provided?
Whisky will absolutely come with her own poop bags. Whisky is pretty sweet. She will probably want to lay under a tree or bush and sleep.

SAFD- Pretty sure I'll be there. It's so close to New Year's that I brought up to my DH maybe bringing the kids for the holiday and then they all leave when the running starts or we run the 5K together and then they leave. Not sure which races I want to do. If I'm alone, either Dopey or 10K and Half. If the fam is there maybe Dopey or everything but the marathon. I really don't want to commit to the marathon unless I can lose 20 pounds before registration.

SAFD: I am going to see how things are going come April. I think I’ll plan on running something but it’ll all depend on progress I make in my fitness and, more importantly, whether I’ve managed to build an exercise and running routine rather than being completely haphazard.

I had assumed with my sister being Perfect Dopey that it would be a forgone conclusion we’d all be back; but this is the first time she has said “maybe ten years is a good stopping point” and I can tell there’s some truth behind it. I’d still put the odds pretty high that she’ll want to continue Dopey and even higher that she’ll want to do something even if it’s not Dopey.

Although I love the races, running Marathon Weekend has always been more about helping me get/stay in shape and that’s where I’ve shifted my focus. The last few years I’ve had so much anxiety heading into The Weekend (for myriad reasons, but mainly because I wasn’t prepared to run what I signed up for) and I know that won’t be the case next year.

You don't directly run by them but near. This would be about 24ish. you come up the path behind the Boardwalk and then turn onto the Boardwalk.

Yes, around mile 24. In 2019 it was couples trip so the DHs ran the marathon and the DWs cheered us right at when we turned onto the Boardwalk. It was a great place to stay for MW. I often stay there for a conference each November for an organization I belong to.

Real talk from those of you that were just there (or do lots of race weekends.)
How do you fill up your time when you do a race-cation and don't go to the parks?

DH is a go-go-go kind of guy. And even though he's "not a runner" and did 0 training for the 5 and 10k this year, he's already made a comment about running those AND the half next year. But going to Disney and not going to the parks seems really weird, and I honestly don't know what he would do all day to keep himself busy! There's only so much wandering around Disney Springs that you can do in a week, and he did a lot of it on this last trip. Hanging out at the pool will only last so long.

How do you fill up your time when you do a race-cation and don't go to the parks?

DH is a go-go-go kind of guy. And even though he's "not a runner" and did 0 training for the 5 and 10k this year, he's already made a comment about running those AND the half next year. But going to Disney and not going to the parks seems really weird, and I honestly don't know what he would do all day to keep himself busy! There's only so much wandering around Disney Springs that you can do in a week, and he did a lot of it on this last trip. Hanging out at the pool will only last so long.
Don't you guys have a bunch of kids, including a toddler? In those days, for me, a heavenly vacation was going somewhere nice and being able to read a book or watch a TV program with no interruptions :smooth: I'm guessing that's not enough for DH though or you wouldn't have had the question. But that's largely how I did it when I didn't go to the parks. And napping because you are up so early for these races. Before I knew it, it was bedtime.

They do have mini-golf. And regular golf. But I haven't done any of those things. You used to be able to fish in a few spots and also rent boats.

Don't you guys have a bunch of kids, including a toddler? In those days, for me, a heavenly vacation was going somewhere nice and being able to read a book or watch a TV program with no interruptions :smooth: I
YES! We have all of the kids, and not having them with us was such a different experience. Books and naps without interruptions? That's my kind of vacation. I loaded up 5 new books on my phone before we left and I didn't manage to read any of them.
I'm guessing that's not enough for DH though or you wouldn't have had the question.

They do have mini-golf. And regular golf. But I haven't done any of those things. You used to be able to fish in a few spots and also rent boats.
We've done mini golf with the kids. We've never done a water park, although I'm sure I would be informed that it's boring to go on the slides alone (and I would want to just lay in the sun.)

We skipped the parks for MW 2022, and even though I'm similar to your DH, it was fine. We like to resort-hop and check out what's new at some of the other resorts, and because we had a car, we could do some other things outside WDW, like visit Seaworld for the first time.

Don’t really know how to answer this. If you have access to a vehicle you can look for things to do around Orlando. If you’re on Disney property with just Disney transportation I think Disney Springs and resort hopping are the main options of relaxing isn’t an option.

We only went to a park on Thursday this past trip. We spent most of our time relaxing and preparing for the following day’s races. Time moves fast when you have to be awake at 3 AM. We did the early show of Hoop-Dee-Doo on Friday and it was a pretty good way to spend some time and have dinner. Was a first time for our whole group; not really my thing but I still enjoyed it and it was a massive hit with the kids in our group.

SAFD: I am going to see how things are going come April. I think I’ll plan on running something but it’ll all depend on progress I make in my fitness and, more importantly, whether I’ve managed to build an exercise and running routine rather than being completely haphazard.

I had assumed with my sister being Perfect Dopey that it would be a forgone conclusion we’d all be back; but this is the first time she has said “maybe ten years is a good stopping point” and I can tell there’s some truth behind it. I’d still put the odds pretty high that she’ll want to continue Dopey and even higher that she’ll want to do something even if it’s not Dopey.

Although I love the races, running Marathon Weekend has always been more about helping me get/stay in shape and that’s where I’ve shifted my focus. The last few years I’ve had so much anxiety heading into The Weekend (for myriad reasons, but mainly because I wasn’t prepared to run what I signed up for) and I know that won’t be the case next year.

We usually end up doing at least Epcot on Sunday. I really enjoy DATW after the marathon. But other days we had no issue filling the day. Often take a shower and nap after getting back to the room. Some things we have done include resort hopping (not sanctioned, but we often put our bathing suits in a backpack in case we can sneak into another resort pool 🤫), Disney Springs, enjoy our own resort's amenities, love the boardwalk area (the dance club is actually fun and they give very generous pours), read a book (love this at CBR).

I go to the parks, it would seem strange not to. Usually come back from the 5/10/half to a shower and a quick nap while DW does some remote work and DD gets up and ready. Then parks til table service dinner, resort for a drink or 2, bed by 9-10, up at 230, repeat. Plenty of time to rest after vacation😂. Checked my watch for this past marathon, 26.3 mile run 33.8 for the day after AK. Of course fit some pool and hot tub in somewhere.

With Disney Springs, resort hopping, exploring the Boardwalk and going to all the different meetups, I personally barely have time for the parks. We usually reserve our park time for after the races since I don't want to tire myself out before.

For 2024, I don't know how I'll manage to not overtire before the races. We won't be able to stay after, only go before (in NYE crowds, yuck)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter