March 2020 Beyond the Parks Exercise Challenge

Happy Saturday! Did everybody have that taste summer that we had yesterday? 82 degrees on March 20 - welcome spring!!!!! We hopped in the car to walk at the beach - it was freezing down there! But it's always great to see the ocean. And today it's 50 - it feels even colder after the warmth.

Some big color changes today! Sophy1996 hit the halfway mark and turns Spa Sapphire!!
And, at 90% and Fitness Fuchsia is Twilight Sparkle!!! Well done!!!!

Elizabeth - it's so tough to find something these days. Keep plugging - the right one will come along!

bwvBound - until I moved to my little horse town, I never knew horses could lie down - I was such a city girl! Now I've sen them in many poses - one was most interesting and I almost went up a tree when I saw it! Your sauna sounds heavenly!

I can add 20 minutes weight work and 20 minutes walking - a strong wind shortened our walk because neither one of us was dressed for it. (310/700)

We'll travel a bit to get to today's retreat! Although Laniwai Spa at beautiful Aulani isn’t on the mainland, it’s just too beautiful to leave out of our dreamy travels! Laniwai means ‘freshwater heaven’ and it lives up to its name. The Kula Wai garden retreat is huge! And it has private vitality pools, co-ed mineral baths, rainfall showers and many signature treatments. It would be hard to decide which to choose - a traditional Hawaiian LomiLomi massage or Kilikilim which pairs exfoliation with massage using coconut oil under streaming jets of water. Ooooohhhhhh!

Laniwai is a family friendly spa - after all, Aulani focuses on Ohana, and we all know “Ohana means family” (to quote Lilo and Stitch!). Painted Sky is a retreat just for teens. It features a special menu of treatments geared for ages 13-17. There also a mixology bar - for body polishes, perfume, and face masques. Sounds totally out of this world to me!

Happy Saturday! Did everybody have that taste summer that we had yesterday? 82 degrees on March 20 - welcome spring!!!!! We hopped in the car to walk at the beach - it was freezing down there! But it's always great to see the ocean. And today it's 50 - it feels even colder after the warmth.

Not here! It snowed Thursday, and yesterday's high didn't even reach freezing! It's supposed to get up to 50 today, and I'm so looking forward to it. That'll feel really warm!

We'll travel a bit to get to today's retreat! Although Laniwai Spa at beautiful Aulani isn’t on the mainland, it’s just too beautiful to leave out of our dreamy travels! Laniwai means ‘freshwater heaven’ and it lives up to its name. The Kula Wai garden retreat is huge! And it has private vitality pools, co-ed mineral baths, rainfall showers and many signature treatments. It would be hard to decide which to choose - a traditional Hawaiian LomiLomi massage or Kilikilim which pairs exfoliation with massage using coconut oil under streaming jets of water. Ooooohhhhhh!

Laniwai is a family friendly spa - after all, Aulani focuses on Ohana, and we all know “Ohana means family” (to quote Lilo and Stitch!). Painted Sky is a retreat just for teens. It features a special menu of treatments geared for ages 13-17. There also a mixology bar - for body polishes, perfume, and face masques. Sounds totally out of this world to me!

View attachment 482483

OK, now this I know about! We spent an afternoon at the Laniwai Spa during our Aulani trip last fall. I said then that next trip I would be OK staying at the Marriott down the way (could do that on points, so lots cheaper), but I would most certainly be booking a treatment at the Laniwai Spa. The Kaula Wai garden was so relaxing. The rainfall showers there were each inspired by a different Hawaiian waterfall and had different textures. DH had the Kilikili and I had the Lomilomi and they were both great!

Sophy - I couldn't get an appointment when I stayed at Aulani! I was so disappointed. But we ever get back to Hawaii, I would do the same as you - stay somewhere else and go to the spa. We liked Aulani, but found it very isolated from the rest of the island. I read there is another, huge resort planned right next door - that will really change the atmosphere!
It's so funny about the weather - so different for all of us!

Thur. 3/19 - 15 minutes
Fri. 3/20 - 20 minutes
Sat 3/21 - 50 minutes (I walked on the treadmill early, but also just went out for a walk in the sunshine with DH and DS. It was so nice after two rainy days!)

total new minutes = 85
new stats = 405/500

30-minute walk. Snow is melting fast and warm enough to take off coats -- though phone says 47 degrees!

630/1200

@BonnieF-that's so sad that you couldn't get an appointment. We must have gone at a slower time of year, because it didn't seem that busy at the spa. I agree that it feels isolated at Aulani.

Current status: 3490/3500
I enjoyed actual SUN ☀ for the first few hours this morning before the clouds returned. I went out and danced in the front yard ... stretching, waving, bending, swaying and rejoicing. The horse trailer and paddock are drying nicely. Phew.

Aulani! We have not visited that spa but sure enjoy the pool area. We were fortunate to be there for the grand opening (Sept 2011) and be invited to the big shin-dig event on the beach and pool deck. Our claim to fame: My husband enjoyed conversation with Joe Rohde, poolside, while snacking on shrimp skewers. Wow! (Mind blown)

Haven't done much today except for the morning feed/clean cycle with the horses and attend church via Zoom (web meeting), but I'm here to announce current status : 3545/3500 exercise minutes this month!!! Whoo-hoo!

Church went very well for a "first go" with a largely inexperienced set of attendees. :)

55 minutes of walking

685/1200

Aulani! We have not visited that spa but sure enjoy the pool area. We were fortunate to be there for the grand opening (Sept 2011) and be invited to the big shin-dig event on the beach and pool deck. Our claim to fame: My husband enjoyed conversation with Joe Rohde, poolside, while snacking on shrimp skewers. Wow! (Mind blown)

Well, that's cool! Definitely not your everyday experience.

Let’s get out on the water!!! At many resorts, we can rent boats or kayaks and see the World from a different perspective. With all the waterways throughout the property, we have lots of options. At the Contemporary Resort, we’ll find several ways to splash around. I love seeing the little Sea Raycers flying around. Want to go fishing? How about a classic Boston Whaler or a SunTracker pontoon boat? Or is the view from above more your speed? Parasailing is available for those with no fear of flying! (Not me!).
A more gentle way to be on the water is kayaking or canoeing at Fort Wilderness. What a great way to see the beautiful scenery in the inlets of the resort.

This would be my favorite way of sailing!! Hopefully with a nice sauvignon blanc in my refillable mug!

Hello everyone! Great job with all of the color changes. Congratulations!! Thank you bwvBound for all the horse stories! :)
I've got to add some treadmill minutes and outdoor walking to my total. The Grand Total is 240 minutes. While I've been on the treadmill I've been watching The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel Season 2 almost complete!;)

My DH and I have been fortunate to experience a couple's massage at the GF spa, which was wonderful! However, I had no idea how relaxed and sleepy I would feel afterwards! We had to quickly clean up and head to our CG reservation, which kinda ruined the relaxation vibe. I recommend NOT booking anything after your treatment so that you can just relax afterwards. Live and learn;).
Saratoga's spa was also very nice! Took my daughters here for min mani/pedi while I was getting a Swedish massage. They enjoyed it and the staff was so nice!
We also love the Water Sprites/Mice that you can take out at Bay Lake. Now my kids can all rent and drive their own! Oh my! Look out!

Those little boats are so much fun to zip around in! Definitely worth doing for a break from the parks.
Enjoy your Disney Dreaming everyone, and stay safe!

Current status: 3805/3500
Today was a mix of rain and sun. The paddock is a muddy, sloppy mess. I waited until the afternoon to clean it at its "driest" moment before the rain returns. Got 6.11 miles just caring for the horses today which included a walkabout with the senior at his pace.

WDW water boats? Love them! We've rented water mice and racers several times and really enjoyed them. We also love using the boat transportation between MK resorts, Epcot/DHS resorts and Disney Springs resorts. Toot-toot! Love being on the water. 🚤

Our claim to fame: My husband enjoyed conversation with Joe Rohde, poolside, while snacking on shrimp skewers. Wow! (Mind blown)
Wow! I would love to meet Joe Rohde! What a cool memory! I just finished watching the Imagineering Story on Disney+ tonight, and his interviews were so interesting. But I'll be honest, his ear would probably freak me out a little in person. 😬

I'm adding 100 minutes --40 from yesterday and 60 from today.

760/800

310 minutes since last check in - walking, horses, spring cleaning in the yard, took the bird for a walk on the woodland boardwalk that leads to the river - saw three deer and a pileated woodpecker

2070/1860
Tell us more about "took the bird for a walk..."? Congrats on smashing your goal!

My bird, a male Umbrella Cockatoo in my life since the mid-80s, hasn't been out in ... forever. Too cold still (expecting more snow on Thurs?) and all last summer I kept him inside due to the avian flu and various quarantines. Ugh.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter