Mass shooting in Toronto?

I have no skin in this game, but the Toronto Sun isn't considered to be the most credible local news source. CBC and CTV (both fairly reliable IMO) both seem to be reporting that the gun originated in the US. I'm not sure what the Sun's sources are that are referenced above but I am hesitant to rely on their reporting.

The articles don't really make much sense. It appears to have been written in a style to confuse and mislead.

The firearm was recovered at the scene.

The police source tells CTV News Toronto that the theft of the gun in Saskatoon occurred around the same time that Hussain’s brother, Fahad, was arrested in the city on drug charges.

Hussain’s brother was also connected to the seizure of more than 30 guns in Pickering last year, according to the same source.

When Hussain’s Thorncliffe Park Drive apartment was searched this week, sources say, police found ammunition and large capacity magazines.

According to a source who spoke to CP24, the gun used in the attack originated in the United States and investigators are working with officials in the U.S. to determine how the weapon ended up in Canada.

It starts by saying that the gun that was recovered was stolen in Saskatoon some time ago but goes on to say the gun originated in the US.

Are they saying the person who reported the gun stolen in Saskatoon reported having owned an illegal gun and that it was stolen, providing the police with the serial number of their illegal gun?

Or are they saying a gun that was legally purchased in Canada and subsequently stolen was manufactured in the United States?

Don't the Canadians already know how guns made in the US and legally sold in Canada make it to Canada?

If I ever get in a car accident and the other car involved was manufactured in Canada that should be an integral part of the investigation? Finding out how a car made in Canada made its way to the US?

Yes, I should have said handguns, which is what I meant. I would think most of that 22% you are referring to is rifles for hunting in rural areas.

I know some people own handguns for ranges but I don't know anyone who is not in law enforcement that owns one. I asked my husband if he knew anyone besides police officers and he said he knew plenty but they are all gangsters.

I really hope the gun culture doesn't catch on here however I was at the hairdressers today and I felt like I was in the States. People talking about ISIS and arming themselves for protection (which would be unlawful).

It's been a rough week and this shooting has affected our family too close to home both literally and figuratively.

And for those who want to play the Americans vs Canadian game, I'm not interested. I have a vested interest in both countries. The people are exactly the same on both sides of the border. The media is heavily slanted on both sides politically in Canada as well. The difference is the laws that govern our nations.

This is totally off topic but if you are Canadian, my mind is blown. I hope your family is doing better. My brother and his girlfriend live in Toronto and my mind always goes to them when news of this magnitude hits the airwaves.

I know some people own handguns for ranges but I don't know anyone who is not in law enforcement that owns one. I asked my husband if he knew anyone besides police officers and he said he knew plenty but they are all gangsters.

I really hope the gun culture doesn't catch on here however I was at the hairdressers today and I felt like I was in the States.

Please don’t talk about ‘gun culture’. It isn’t a cult, and I am not a gangster. It is a hobby, and I am a law-abiding citizen.

“AnnaFloridaLover said:
The media is heavily slanted on both sides politically in Canada as well.

On this we agree.

Please don’t talk about ‘gun culture’. It isn’t a cult, and I am not a gangster. It is a hobby, and I am a law-abiding citizen.

On this we agree.

It an open forum and my opinions are my own. I didn't say YOU were a gangster. I'm sure you are not.

Last edited:
Well, we certainly have a lot of folks from Toronto on the boards. And my hearts go out to all of you.

Anna, I'm sorry for you, too. It would've been a lot easier if you'd just said at the beginning of the thread that you're from the area, have been personally affected, and that your husband works in LE there.

I live within walking distance to the shooting. One of the deceased lived in our neighbourhood and came from a wonderful family. Our family has close friends that witnessed the shooting. Two of our kids just went through a horrible tragedy two days before with one of the kids that witnessed a death at the shooting. That's all I'm going to say for now but Toronto is made up of very close knit neighbourhoods. We are all connected here.

We are not ready to lay down and say oh well, these things happen and you can't stop them. Not by a long shot.

The bolded comes off as a cheap dig from someone who just proclaimed they're not playing Americans v. Canadians.

For the record, Americans aren't simply "laying down" regarding gun violence. Neither are we simply "laying down" on curing cancer, Parkinson's, etc. I wish Canada nothing but good results in resolving this issue. As an American it's not my place to suggest any legislation or governance of people perfectly capable of handling their own affairs and living their lives as they see fit, without any judgment or criticism from me.

The bolded comes off as a cheap dig from someone who just proclaimed they're not playing Americans v. Canadians.

For the record, Americans aren't simply "laying down" regarding gun violence. Neither are we simply "laying down" on curing cancer, Parkinson's, etc. I wish Canada nothing but good results in resolving this issue. As an American it's not my place to suggest any legislation or governance of people perfectly capable of handling their own affairs and living their lives as they see fit, without any judgment or criticism from me.

Man you read a lot into posts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter