Max Occupancy in DVC Resorts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Making room for a crib or a pack n play in a small space can create more damage than an air mattress on the floor. Also, small children come with lots of possessions as well, sometimes more than an adult with an overnight bag just staying for one night.

Making room for a crib or a pack n play in a small space can create more damage than an air mattress on the floor. Also, small children come with lots of possessions as well, sometimes more than an adult with an overnight bag just staying for one night.

Again you are picking and choosing your examples. The situations you describe will exist regardless of the room occupancy. Disney cannot dictate whether a pack N play is used or the size of overnight bags.

Take whatever example you wish and extrapolate it to a group of 4 staying in a studio. 2 adults, 2 kids, large overnight bags, pack N play, toys, etc.

What will happen if that same group adds a 5th guest to their Studio? How about a 6th guest?

There are large considerate groups and careless small groups. We all know that to be true. But in viewing the system as a whole, villa conditions are negatively impacted when occupancy limits are increased by the developer and ignored by owners.

:rotfl: You know....this thread reminds me of the CONSTANT debates on the Cruise Board on the DCL dress code. DCL requests no shorts, tanks or swimsuits in the dining rooms and on the longer cruises no jeans (with an exception being maybe on Pirate night). Formal attire (tuxes) are optional but that's the only thing that they say IS optional. It definitely states suits for men on formal night & pants suits or dresses for women. But it is inevitable EVERY WEEK that someone asks if they really mean this. :rotfl: Hello?! It's in writing on the website - it says NO SHORTS yet there are always the ones who want to validate doing what they want regardless of what DCL requests so they always say "it's my vacation and I'll dress the way I want". And then there are those who chime in and say "but it's only a request" it's not REQUIRED". :rotfl: To me, the fact that they even bother "requesting" makes it pretty clear that's really what they really want & expect as the host. But someone is always going to argue that it's just a technicality in the wording and that they won't throw you overboard if you do what you want. :sad2:

Sorry to go off-topic but it was just an observation....

Just because some people go over occupancy by one person does not mean they are damaging the units. You can have a family with one extra person respecting the property and another family under capacity with no respect for property. A two year old child allowed to climb on furniture or color on the table will do more damage than an eight year old playing video games or watching Disney movies. I really do not think occupancy is the issue, rather respect for property which is what Disney should be monitoring more closely.
As I noted previously, each one of these issues is a separate concern. The fact that a given group or situation may cause additional wear and tear does not detract from the significance of a single type. No doubt there are some where a single person may have more wear and tear than 7 or 8 in a studio but when one looks en masse, room stuffing will create more costs and more wear and tear than not and that really is all that matters from a cost question on this issue, that another group may cause more (or less) really is irrelevant.

:rotfl: You know....this thread reminds me of the CONSTANT debates on the Cruise Board on the DCL dress code. DCL requests no shorts, tanks or swimsuits in the dining rooms and on the longer cruises no jeans (with an exception being maybe on Pirate night). Formal attire (tuxes) are optional but that's the only thing that they say IS optional. It definitely states suits for men on formal night & pants suits or dresses for women. But it is inevitable EVERY WEEK that someone asks if they really mean this. :rotfl: Hello?! It's in writing on the website - it says NO SHORTS yet there are always the ones who want to validate doing what they want regardless of what DCL requests so they always say "it's my vacation and I'll dress the way I want". And then there are those who chime in and say "but it's only a request" it's not REQUIRED". :rotfl: To me, the fact that they even bother "requesting" makes it pretty clear that's really what they really want & expect as the host. But someone is always going to argue that it's just a technicality in the wording and that they won't throw you overboard if you do what you want. :sad2:

Sorry to go off-topic but it was just an observation....
I think there's a difference here. With limited military type exceptions, a request is not a requirement. When discussing occupancy, there is a level where it's a requirement and not simply a request.

But there are more "overs" when DVC openly advocates exceeding the max occupancy. There are more "overs" if all owners subscribe to the philosophy that we can all do whatever we want.

And if you're OK with the "overs", then I hope you won't ever complain about overcrowding on bus & boat transportation. I hope you don't have issues finding a chair by the pool. Don't blame Disney if you get into your room late--after all, it takes much longer to clean a one bedroom villa that's been home to 6 people for the past week. You'll have to live with whatever lines manifest themselves at resort restaurants.

None of us is perfect but I have a hard time taking a laissez faire attitude toward violation of any rule. The rule that I may be so quick to dismiss could very well negatively impact others' vacations.

How many "overs" does it take before people have to wait for the next bus because the line is too long, wait longer for their meal or leave the pool area because there are no chairs to be found? How many pieces of furniture have had to be replaced because guests rearrange the room while making space for their air beds? How many people have walked into a dinged-up villa room because there just isn't adequate storage space for 5 or 6 suitcases in a Studio?

to be honest, don't really have any issues with boats, buses or monorails. I always have a car. Never had a problem getting a seat at a pool. I tend to hit the quiet pools not the main ones, so I can bring my own music and beer.

to be honest, don't really have any issues with boats, buses or monorails. I always have a car. Never had a problem getting a seat at a pool. I tend to hit the quiet pools not the main ones, so I can bring my own music and beer.

So are you using that for an argument to allow people to put more in a villa than the occupancy level?

But DVC members have to fund the repairs the come from either careless use or overuse. Common sense cannot be legislated but occupancy limits can.

No charmed life here. worked for everything I have. Just don't think it's as big of a problem as this thread makes it out to be. I've only had an extra person once. on way more that 1 occasion we've had way under the occupancy limit. To me it just equals out.

I was wrong earlier, we did have a problem with buses once, but that had alot to do with those damn scooters.

No charmed life here. worked for everything I have. Just don't think it's as big of a problem as this thread makes it out to be. I've only had an extra person once. on way more that 1 occasion we've had way under the occupancy limit. To me it just equals out.

I was wrong earlier, we did have a problem with buses once, but that had alot to do with those damn scooters.

I'm quite sure that those people in the scooters would happily make a trade with you. They'd trade to you the disabilites that require them to use a scooter and in return take putting up with a little inconvenience.

Kindly remember that the topic of this thread is DVC Resort Occupancy. Not berating those with health issues.

I only hope you don't someday need to use one of those "damn scooters" as you so insensitively put it. I had to use them for health reasons on a couple of trips about 6 years ago, and it is not fun. It becomes even less fun when people look at you like you are doing something wrong.

Armed night security guards; random, unannounced security/head count checks; embarassing, public expulsions for the overage guest(s). What the heck, throw all the guests out, and open up a last minuted waitlist! What say ya'll?

Armed night security guards; random, unannounced security/head count checks; embarassing, public expulsions for the overage guest(s). What the heck, throw all the guests out, and open up a last minuted waitlist! What say ya'll?
It's a better solution than having people stuff the rooms.:lmao:

My DH, myself and 3 kids..none in cribs, will be staying in VB in August. No 1BR or 2BR were available so I booked 2 GVIR and waitlisted the other rooms, my question is do I need both rooms or can we fit in 1 room. We will be there for 4 nights. I understand that they will not give us bedding for the
5th, but since we are not flying the kids will have their own pillows and blankets from the car. Also, the rooms are not connecting so my husband and I will have to split up since our kids are too young to be in a room by themselves. (trying to save a few points..TYIA!!)

Ok so these THV are for 9 people.

My SIL was told by members service children under 3 do not count is this true? She is planning on 4 adults, then kids ages 11, 11,7,7, 5, 3,1 all staying there. What could happen if she does not list them as staying there? This is their first DVC trip and I just do not want to see anyone in trouble. I offered to get the her parents and the 11, and 7 another room but they said no thanks, oh well saves my points which I must admit are spoken for.

Thanks for any information.

My DH, myself and 3 kids..none in cribs, will be staying in VB in August. No 1BR or 2BR were available so I booked 2 GVIR and waitlisted the other rooms, my question is do I need both rooms or can we fit in 1 room. We will be there for 4 nights. I understand that they will not give us bedding for the
5th, but since we are not flying the kids will have their own pillows and blankets from the car. Also, the rooms are not connecting so my husband and I will have to split up since our kids are too young to be in a room by themselves. (trying to save a few points..TYIA!!)

I've never heard of allowing five in an OVIR or GVIR. Just four.

Ok so these THV are for 9 people.

My SIL was told by members service children under 3 do not count is this true? She is planning on 4 adults, then kids ages 11, 11,7,7, 5, 3,1 all staying there. What could happen if she does not list them as staying there? This is their first DVC trip and I just do not want to see anyone in trouble. I offered to get the her parents and the 11, and 7 another room but they said no thanks, oh well saves my points which I must admit are spoken for.

Thanks for any information.

Only one child under the age of three doesn't count. So she has six children and four adults (that's already ten) and then the one year old doesn't count. But they won't allow ten in the THV, just nine plus one.

Goes back to the room stuffing issue. Everyone staying in the room must be listed on the reservation. The rules are the rules.

I've never heard of allowing five in an OVIR or GVIR. Just four.

Only one child under the age of three doesn't count. So she has six children and four adults (that's already ten) and then the one year old doesn't count. But they won't allow ten in the THV, just nine plus one.

Goes back to the room stuffing issue. Everyone staying in the room must be listed on the reservation. The rules are the rules.

Thanks that is how I see it also. I am just a major rule follower. Thanks I just needed to make sure I was right.

I remember seeing concierge available with points at The Grand Californian. Does anyone know if this is still available?:goodvibes

I remember seeing concierge available with points at The Grand Californian. Does anyone know if this is still available?:goodvibes

No, DVC has no concierge suites at Grand Californian, and you can no longer use points for the non-villa portion of a resort once the DVC resort component is added.

My Dh and I with our 3 kids two who were 3 and 1 who was 19 went last October and stayed at the BCV in a studio. I guess my next question is by the time we go again which is going to be next October for the festival(does anyone know when the days come out for that) will they allow 3 adults and 2 children in a studio I just don't see the point in spending more moeny or using more points if my children can stay in one bed and my Dh and I can go on the pullout couch bed...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter