Max Occupancy in DVC Resorts

Status
Not open for further replies.
No flames please, as I'm seeking opinions (and if there any "rules" regarding this).

We've just got back from a DVC points stay. There were 3 couples, all of whom enjoy their space /privacy, so we had a 2BR with 2 couples in it, and a studio with the other couple, but chosen this way so all 3 couples had access to the facilities of the 2BR for the freezer and washer dryer.

So, 6 people in 3 bedrooms, in 2 physical rooms.
Maximum occupancy is 9 for the 2 BR, and 4 for the studio, so 13 (instead of 6).

If we had had a larger group (say 6 couples), could we have booked all 12 into those same rooms, and then had 3 couples staying offsite so everyone still got their space, but the other couples still got EMH, DME, and free parking?.
I accept that it might get 'tricky' if one added DDP into the mix, but would this be allowable? Ethical?.

If it isn't ethical, is there any difference between deliberately planning this and the situation where 12 people book into that 2BR and studio, intending to stay there, and then discover that tempers are fraying over the space / 4 bathrooms, and 3 couples move off-site.....

Has anyone done this?. I'm interested in views, or reasoned arguments against (again, no flames for or against, please).
From an occupancy standpoint the limit is as you noted. For situations where one is staying elsewhere but listed in your unit also, I'd say it's case by case but generally OK. In your specific situation you can get extra keys for access even if not listed, we've done it many times. I've seen people post that they were able to get keys that would work in more than one room for this situation as well but it's only been a few post. IMO it is OK to be listed in multiple rooms IF Disney also allows it (they will but only once as the main person) and to be listed on the reservation if not staying there full time. Again, case by case is a necessity for such issues.

I recently returned from the BWV, with a one bedroom. It was myself, my wife and my three children. Originally my 19 year old wasn't suspose to come but he was able to get out of college early. Either way we had no problems at all. I'm sure you won't either. it may have been a tad crowed but no other isues.

Currently DVC allows the fifth person in the one bedroom villas that officially sleep four. But they will not provide the bedding and linens needed for the fifth person. It could change.

If you are selling your unused occupancy as a service there might be an ethical dilemna there otherwise I don't see a problem.

As a fellow member who shares the maintence fees having rooms packed to capacity is not ideal because it is more wear and tear so I certainly don't care if people are staying off of property.

I don't see how Disney really should care either.

Disney hotels charge more for more adults per room (I think I heard that) so a benefit of DVC is occupancy is occupancy regardless of age (other than the child under 3). Disney may care if DVC members are skirting those rules, but I think occupancy is in out contract.

Disney does not allow double booking in Disney resorts (I guess that's a fairness policy?) And I don't think they liked DVC members also booking values for "free dining" but I'm not sure they can do much for legal guests per occupancy also staying offsite.

Currently DVC allows the fifth person in the one bedroom villas that officially sleep four. But they will not provide the bedding and linens needed for the fifth person. It could change.

I just called to book a 1 BR, BWV, for 2 adults and 3 children, and was told no. Has this changed, or did I just get a new CM?

I would try again. It should not be a problem for 5 in a one bedroom!

I just called to book a 1 BR, BWV, for 2 adults and 3 children, and was told no. Has this changed, or did I just get a new CM?

Maybe they have decided to start enforcing occupancy in the villas. BWV always slept four plus one under the age of three until they started to allow a fifth person (but not a fifth and a sixth under the age of three).

Okay, I called back, and the second CM said, it was not a problem. She added the children. This is the first time, the issue has arisen for us. .

This is my first time reading the occupancy thread. I wish I had known the five of us could have stayed in a one bedroom at BWV in the past. dang. :sad1: Now we have a baby too. Do you think they would allow the five of us in a one bedroom plus a baby?

This is my first time reading the occupancy thread. I wish I had known the five of us could have stayed in a one bedroom at BWV in the past. dang. :sad1: Now we have a baby too. Do you think they would allow the five of us in a one bedroom plus a baby?

I doubt it.

Disney is inconsistent but likely not. I'm surprised the allowed the 5 above, even if they are children but over 3.

In the one bedroom villas that actually sleep four, they have usually allowed a fifth guest of an age, but no bedding or linens are supplied. They haven't allowed a sixth guest under the age of three. You'll need a two bedroom villa or one that officially sleeps five.

Yup..we always book a two bedroom. I guess we might try a one bedroom at OKW, AKV or BLT before she turns 3. The hard part is we always have extra guests! If we can ever leave the grandparents home we just might get to save the points and get a one bedroom. :laughing:

Just want to make sure I am understanding things correctly. Is it only OKW, AKL & BLT 1 bedrooms that will allow 5 over the age of 3 plus 1 under the age of 3, total occupany 6?

Disney is inconsistent but likely not. I'm surprised the allowed the 5 above, even if they are children but over 5.

This is the first time, we've had an odd number. Usually, we book a 1 bedroom for 4 and always, a 2 bedroom for 6 or more. This time, it will be 5.. with the extra child sleeping in bed with us, regardless of how many rooms we have. Seemed silly to have an empty room.:confused3

Just want to make sure I am understanding things correctly. Is it only OKW, AKL & BLT 1 bedrooms that will allow 5 over the age of 3 plus 1 under the age of 3, total occupany 6?
At AKV, the Value booking category does not allow 5 in a 1BR. The other categories (Standard View, Savanna View and Concierge) have a sleeper chair in the 1BR so they officially allow 5 in a 1BR plus a child under 3 years old.

At AKV, the Value booking category does not allow 5 in a 1BR. The other categories (Standard View, Savanna View and Concierge) have a sleeper chair in the 1BR so they officially allow 5 in a 1BR plus a child under 3 years old.

We booked 5 in a one br at GCV. I think you can book 5 in all one brs but you don't get extra towels or linens which is not an issue to me.

The Plus one has never been official. Just a convenience. They could at some time hold it to the stated occupancy. Who knows. I think OKW one bedroom is still listed officially as four in a one bedroom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter