• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

May 10, 2008 Ship of Thieves! Stealing the Magic..AGAIN!!! Panama Canal FL to CA!!!

old poll

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
who is planning on staying a day or two in LA? Any thoughts on where to stay? and how far is the port from DL? or other big sites?

V- you should plan on at least a couple of days at DL and a couple for some So Cal sights. Would seem a shame to be so close and not take a look. The port is not far, there are shuttles. Stay either at DLH or at one of the hotels across the street(less $, as close or closer walk, but without the "magic")

Don't have time to read the last 15 pages or so, but I thought I'd pop on to say HEY:yay: :wave2: Hope everyone is having a marvelous day! It will be over 80 here today. For all those of you who are weather watchers. I am going out and ride my horses!!!! Yes, I have the day off. Much needed relaxing day! I'm taking a load to the Good Will, I've walked the dogs, and myself and checked in with my dining change for the cruise and doing laundry. So much for relaxing eh?

O.k. so for those getting caught up.

If your DH would like to join the poker group PM Disneycruising

If you are celebrating anything on the cruise PM GinaMarie

Hopefully when the web page goes up it will be easier for people to catch up.

I am so glad I don't work otherwise I would never catch up. :headache:

There is lots of things to do in LA and an close by. Have you been before? What kind of thing are you thinking of? I believe the Ports are about 30 miles form DL. (Someone correctly if I am wrong) Are do you wait to staying on site at DL or just near by?

I went out there for a competitioin back when I was 15 or 16 or maybe even 17...we went to DL and UCLA and my Grandparents had just moved to Pasadena at the time. I later went out and got to see the chinese theatre, hard rock, etc....I would really like to go see some wine country...but since the girls are so little I am sure they would rather hit DL....and after being off 15 days, I am not sure how many more the both of us could swing!

I was trying to add Aunty Brat´s winner Logo, but when I uploaded it I lost my Disney ship, and uploaded the logo really small.

I will have to work on it once I get home.

I went out there for a competitioin back when I was 15 or 16 or maybe even 17...we went to DL and UCLA and my Grandparents had just moved to Pasadena at the time. I later went out and got to see the chinese theatre, hard rock, etc....I would really like to go see some wine country...but since the girls are so little I am sure they would rather hit DL....and after being off 15 days, I am not sure how many more the both of us could swing!

If you do end up being able to stay and have any questions ask any of us who live here we will let you know. My DH works for Disney so we usually only stay on-site but I am trying my luck off-site with some relatives coming in from Utah. Much cheaper. I loved WDW when we went out there but they both have there good and bad. I will be doing the true tourist thing this time and not be at the cast party so I will let you guys know how it goes. For those that are going after the cruise I would make ressies as soon as they let you because of the holiday weekend. Also Disneyland is known to fill up on holidays so either get there early or go on Tuesday.

Don´t you find it hard to be steady on your feet again on land after the cruise?

DH and I took 3 or 4 days to get back our land legs after a 4 night cruise, this is the only thing that might dissuade us from doing DL after the cruise (oh, and our jobs too, my dad will kill me if I take more days off).

Don´t you find it hard to be steady on your feet again on land after the cruise?

DH and I took 3 or 4 days to get back our land legs after a 4 night cruise, this is the only thing that might dissuade us from doing DL after the cruise (oh, and our jobs too, my dad will kill me if I take more days off).

Julie,

We were actually was on that cruise with you. It was not rough or anything but after I had a hard time getting back to normal. My DD had soccer practice the day we got back and she had a hard time too. Sorry I don't think we got to meet you. This time we will though.

:rotfl2: :rotfl2:

Since me thinks I am not the only one here who loves to read novels, do you know if they have any in the ship? Otherwise my suitcases will be even heavier with all those books!

In Cove Cafe, there is a bookcase with about 3 dozen or so novels that you can check out. I had brought my own books so I didn't look too closely at what was offered.

Liz

In Cove Cafe, there is a bookcase with about 3 dozen or so novels that you can check out. I had brought my own books so I didn't look too closely at what was offered.

Liz
That is good to know. Last time I forgot my book. I had the whole day at Nassau I could have read but did not know about that.

Stephanie,
Was someone talking about a mini scrapebook meet for us N. CA people? I was trying search back but I can't find it.

I said if we wanted to do one in the summer, I could host it in Walnut Creek at the school I work at. They let us use the facilities for private events.
Keep it in mind as we get closer to the summer. I won't have anything to scrap until my med cruise this summer. I will be caught up in taylors book this may at national scrapbook day. :)
Steph

There are quite a few people planning on staying after.

Disneyland in California is different than WDW. There are only 3 on-site properties. There are also a ton of properties off-site. The ones across the street are just as close as some of the other on-site properties. I have never stayed at the off-site properties because I live close but will actually be staying at The Anaheim Desert Hotel and Suites in a couple of weeks and will let everyone know what I think. (Not that it counts what I have to say) I have stayed at Disneyland Hotel and Paradise Pier if you have any questions.

Since we live in Salt Lake City, we visit DL quite often. Most often we stay at the Fairfield Inn (a Marriott property) right across the street from the entrance to DL. The address is 1460 S harbor blvd. Rates generally run $129 a night (or you can use Marriott points there if you have them). They do not have dates open past January 2008. We are staying Labor Day weekend 2007 to do the half-marathon and are staying there for $129 a night. They are next door to McDonalds, have a swimming pool and you can walk across the street right into the park. Parking is free. Also, you can stand on the balcony and watch the fireworks if you are not in the park.

Other hotels we have stayed at off property are the Marriott and the Hyatt both located next to the Anaheim Convention Center on Convention Way. The rates there are about $159 per night. However, they do have a package sometimes at the Marriott where you can stay, get park admission and breakfast buffet (and its a full breakfast). But you have to call the Anaheim Marriott directly. You have to pay for parking there as well as the Hyatt. We have not walked from either of those properties to DL. They are a little over a block away and have the ART system (the Anaheim Transporation System) where trolleys come every 15-30 minutes and haul you back and forth. They cost like $3 per day.

We generally do not stay at the DL Hotel, Paradise Pier or Grand Calif. because the rates are much higher and we find that we do not stay at the properties when visiting on the weekends, we stay in the parks. Any time outside the parks or Downtown Disney is either for swimming or sleeping.

Anyway, I would recommend any of those I mentioned, they are all very family friendly and have nice pool areas.

who is planning on staying a day or two in LA? Any thoughts on where to stay? and how far is the port from DL? or other big sites?

After the 2005 PC cruise, we stayed a couple of nights at the Howard Johnson's across the street from DL. It was surprisingly nice! We used SuperShuttle to get from the port to the hotel. Even though we stopped to drop off several people at private residences along the way, we were still at our hotel before 10:30am! Not sure what we'll do for transportation this time around--we are planning on three nights at the Grand Californian before flying home.

A funny word of warning...after spending 14 nights on the Magic being completely pampered by the incredible cast members, the first day off the ship was a shocking jolt back into reality. When I went to lunch, they expected me to PAY for my sandwhich before I ate it and then I had to throw away my own trash! The worst part was arriving back at the hotel at midnight after spending most of the day at DL. Upon entering the room I was crushed to find that no one had turned down the bed, left chocolates on the pillow, or replaced my wine glasses!!

Liz

After the 2005 PC cruise, we stayed a couple of nights at the Howard Johnson's across the street from DL. It was surprisingly nice! We used SuperShuttle to get from the port to the hotel. Even though we stopped to drop off several people at private residences along the way, we were still at our hotel before 10:30am! Not sure what we'll do for transportation this time around--we are planning on three nights at the Grand Californian before flying home.

A funny word of warning...after spending 14 nights on the Magic being completely pampered by the incredible cast members, the first day off the ship was a shocking jolt back into reality. When I went to lunch, they expected me to PAY for my sandwhich before I ate it and then I had to throw away my own trash! The worst part was arriving back at the hotel at midnight after spending most of the day at DL. Upon entering the room I was crushed to find that no one had turned down the bed, left chocolates on the pillow, or replaced my wine glasses!!

Liz

I received even worse customer service when I arrived at home that same day. I was even expected to do my own laundry!! Some people............

Liz

:rotfl: I kind of wish I owned a hotel that is how it should be.

Now, on arriving in LA we are hoping to hire a car to drive on up to SF, but on the port site it gives Enterprise as the car rental company onsite, and they close on Sundays!! Any other ideas anyone? I told you yesterday I was worrying about it!
I went onto Enterprise's website and pulled up the info for this location, and atleast for now there are some Sunday hours.

The Long Beach airport is approximately 10 miles from the port. Taxi fare is approximately $24. There were a couple of people from the last cruise that went over together and split the cost. Then they got their rental car, drove back over to the port and loaded up their family and luggage. (The family waited for the luggage while the DH went and got the car). At the Long Beach airport I know there is Avis, Budget, Hertz and National. The cab ride would take less than 15 minutes because you get on the 710 and then the 405 and the Long Beach airport is right off the freeway and is very small so it is very very easy to get in and out of very fast.

The National Car Rental Office is in a trailer office and you walk in, sign the papers, go out the door and walk about 10 steps to your car. Very convenient and fast.

Also, if you don't want a car you can also check on Super Shuttle via the website. You could probably arrange a group rate to get you from the port to Disneyland

It is about 26 miles to DL from the port and it is all freeway, so on a Sunday morning, unless there is an accident, it will take less than 30 minutes, generally speaking. Or as my DH would say "The way Linda drives, it will take her about 20-25 minutes to get to DL!"

Good One! Speaking of laundry, do they clean it or just press it?

On the ship, they will do whatever you ask. Tony (Aphoenix) gave me a great idea on our last cruise together. He brings his dress shirts and doesn't launder them beforehand, and then the first day on the ship he sends them out for cleaning and pressing and then they are good to go. He said the price is reasonable. That way you don't have to worry about wrinkled shirts and spending time in the laundry room on the ship! There is a bag and laundry slip in the closet and you just fill it out and give to room steward and next thing you know they are hanging in your closet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter