• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

May 10, 2008 Ship of Thieves! Stealing the Magic..AGAIN!!! Panama Canal FL to CA!!!

old poll

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Julie,

We were actually was on that cruise with you. It was not rough or anything but after I had a hard time getting back to normal. My DD had soccer practice the day we got back and she had a hard time too. Sorry I don't think we got to meet you. This time we will though.

I was thinking that since it was hard with those calm seas, and only a few days, I can´t imagine how it will be if we do hit some rough waves on the next cruise!

We will meet this time! On that cruise I was sort of overwhelmed with the newness (is this even a word? lol) to cruising, so little time for so many things, that I somehow lost track of everything I had planned to do, even if I had all the disers cabin numbers, and the meeting times and places, it was like my mind went blank about many a lot of things (I had planned on getting the all hands on deck cheese platter, and the chocolate chip cookies, and never got to calling for them, even when we were in our cabin at 10:00 pm because dd didn´t want to stay in the clubs), this time I am planning on attending the dis meets and everything. And not only am I making lists and notes of everything, I am making many copies to put through my luggage so I won´t remember to look at them.

Ok, since we are becoming rather a rather typative bunch, I am going to go ahead and add a Round Up to the Roll Call and Info Update. It will not attempt to be complete or accurate but will try to touch on some of the 'themes' (and I am using that term really BROADLY with this group :rotfl: )
so that if people are just looking for a quick drive by of what has been going on, all they need to loo for is this post. If you think there is something really imporant in the boards that should be included in either the Round Up or Info Update and I did NOT include it in the latest post, THEN please PM me. This will help keep my PM box from :badpc:

And yeah, I am OCD enough to try and do this!!! Really ask Ivanova!!!

Will work for DOD!!!

We used the cruise tip calculator and then ended up adding $5 - $40 more per person to the tip based on the service we got. Stateroom hostess was outstanding and she got all the cash we brought, and some extra on the KTWC. We hope she is working this cruise!!! Love ya Anastasia!!! :love: (she earned every dime and then some with our two sloppy tweens!!!) I also had a budget for drinks (added 20% too since some folks work harder than others) and spa budget which I added 20% too to cover tips. OH and do not forget $2 bills or lots of $1 bills for room service tips!! :thumbsup2

Thanks. That helps with budgeting. I don't think we'll be spending much on excursions, but I want to do more in the spa. Our bar bill somehow gets higher than planned. Wine with dinner adds up. Maybe we'll ship some wine to our cabin and take glasses with us to dinner. Is that just too tacky? We don't drink much otherwise, but we are both martini fans. Martini's are usually so strong, though that if I have two, I'll probably need one of our designated walkers. :rotfl:

How about any of our repeat repo representatives (say that 3 times fast)? Do any of you still have the tip suggestions from 2005?

Tip recommendations haven't changed as far as I can tell. We used the tip calculator also:

Dining Room Server $3.68 per day ($55.20)
Assistant Server $2.68 per day ($40.20)
Head Server $.93 per day ($13.95)
Stateroom Host/Hostess $3.61 per day ($54.15)

So I would allow $163.50 per person for the 15 nights, plus any extra tipping you do. We always give extra to those who have exceeded our expectations, plus have tipped the Oceaneer's Club and Flounder's when we have had kids/grandkids with us and also CM's who went out of their way to take care of us and for those that use the spa and bar, tips for them also.

We also keep a stack of 1's in the room to tip room service as needed.

I was thinking that since it was hard with those calm seas, and only a few days, I can´t imagine how it will be if we do hit some rough waves on the next cruise!

We will meet this time! On that cruise I was sort of overwhelmed with the newness (is this even a word? lol) to cruising, so little time for so many things, that I somehow lost track of everything I had planned to do, even if I had all the disers cabin numbers, and the meeting times and places, it was like my mind went blank about many a lot of things (I had planned on getting the all hands on deck cheese platter, and the chocolate chip cookies, and never got to calling for them, even when we were in our cabin at 10:00 pm because dd didn´t want to stay in the clubs), this time I am planning on attending the dis meets and everything. And not only am I making lists and notes of everything, I am making many copies to put through my luggage so I won´t remember to look at them.
I only made it to the dismeet where we put the goody bags together so don't feel bad. They were all a great group. Our thread is still going over there. Yes that was our first cruise also and there was just way to much to do. Is your DD going to be 5 when we cruise.

Thanks to a tip on the Dis, DH sent his shirts out for pressing the first day. I don't remember the cost, but for pressing only it was pretty reasonable. I haven't sent laundry out. I may think about that, however, if the laundry room is as crowded as everyone says. I'm not really up for doing laundry at 3:00 am.:eek:

We could hold a DIS meet with the DOD at the laundry room, do you think we could reserve in advance being that we are the nicest group of people on our cruise? :cool1:

We always give extra to those who have exceeded our expectations, plus have tipped the Oceaneer's Club and Flounder's when we have had kids/grandkids with us and also CM's who went out of their way to take care of us and for those that use the spa and bar, tips for them also.

What is the deal with tipping CM's in the kids' clubs? :confused3 I had heard they weren't allowed to accept tips, because it wasn't a tipped position. But I can't imagine they earn enough $$$ for the work they do. Are they allowed to accept tips? And how do you do it? Aren't there several CM's working with your kids all week? Who/when/where/how do we tip?
Sorry for all the questions. Inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks. That helps with budgeting. I don't think we'll be spending much on excursions, but I want to do more in the spa. Our bar bill somehow gets higher than planned. Wine with dinner adds up. Maybe we'll ship some wine to our cabin and take glasses with us to dinner. Is that just too tacky? We don't drink much otherwise, but we are both martini fans. Martini's are usually so strong, though that if I have two, I'll probably need one of our designated walkers. :rotfl:

We had people at our table bring glasses of wine to dinner. Since it is their glasses, they don't know if you got it in the bar before dinner or brought it from your room (just don't ask them for refills :rotfl: )

Last time we brought stuff for martinis and didn't use half of it. Figure we will stick to DOD and stuff from the bar. We are planning on buying and brining a couple of bottles of wine/champagne and a 4 pack of sparkling cider for the girls since that stuff is VERY expensive on the ship (makes the wine look cheap!!)

Usually tips are the things that tend to push people over the edge budget wise or taking a last minute excursion. Remember to check your stateroom balance regularly so that there are no surprises!! With teens that have charging privledges, that surprise factor can be a real motivator!!! And yes, that IS the voice of experience speaking!!!

Oh and make sure that you bring small bills to go shopping in most of the ports. You can haggle on the price but if you are looking for change you may end up paying more than you negotiated for!! So if something is $4 give them four $1 bills, not a $5, because many of them will NOT have change!

:rotfl2: :rotfl2:

Since me thinks I am not the only one here who loves to read novels, do you know if they have any in the ship? Otherwise my suitcases will be even heavier with all those books!

Julie, in Cove Cafe they have magazines and some books (though I saw more on the Wonder than the Magic). These are usually books people leave behind.

Maybe we should all bring one book we've read and liked and can leave it in Cove Cafe for others to share. So you'd only need to bring one NEW book to read first and then have others to choose from.

What do you think?

Tip recommendations haven't changed as far as I can tell. We used the tip calculator also:

Dining Room Server $3.68 per day ($55.20)
Assistant Server $2.68 per day ($40.20)
Head Server $.93 per day ($13.95)
Stateroom Host/Hostess $3.61 per day ($54.15)

So I would allow $163.50 per person for the 15 nights, plus any extra tipping you do. We always give extra to those who have exceeded our expectations, plus have tipped the Oceaneer's Club and Flounder's when we have had kids/grandkids with us and also CM's who went out of their way to take care of us and for those that use the spa and bar, tips for them also.

Those seem so low to me only 3.68 a day for good food but when you add it all up you say wow I need to sell another child..:rotfl: I love to tip!!! I hate it when people don't tip for good service.

Bring books to leave and DOD while doing laundry!!! I like those ideas!!!

I only made it to the dismeet where we put the goody bags together so don't feel bad. They were all a great group. Our thread is still going over there. Yes that was our first cruise also and there was just way to much to do. Is your DD going to be 5 when we cruise.

Yes, Estrella will be 5 when we cruise, she turned 4 on the Wonder cruise.

I think she will be with your youngest dd in the clubs. Are you registering your dd´s for the children´s group site?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter