Melissa & Nicolas' wedding planning - Aug. 1 2015

PoshMeld

Mouseketeer
So here I go!
I think this is a great way to have all my ideas in one spot and maybe help each other with 2015 weddings.

Who we are:
We live in a Montreal (Quebec, Canada) suburb. Nicolas is 30 and I am 32 ( I know, I like young ones...mouhahaha). No kids yet but soon as living in a suburb at our age without kids is not seen well...lol Joking, but yeah, I think the time is ticking...

I can't really talk about the whole engagement fairytale thing because weddings were never his thing. Quebecers are not much of a wedding type people anymore...I'm from an Italian family and weddings always have been present in my life but I told him that if he wants to found a family one day, we have to do it the right way! he just finds it's a huge waste of money...

Myself 10yrs ago, I wanted the big Italian wedding with the silly balloon arch over the honour table, having that huge dessert table and the late snack table that all huge Italian wedding shave - but this is not what Nick wants and I want something we both want. And! I am not with the same boyfriend I was 10 years ago.

In 2012, we went to WDW for a whole week with his parents and we were like real kids. Last year, we went to FL and a pit stop at Universal and of course a pit stop at Downtown Disney.
Disney always finds a way to put a smile on our faces and we feel like real kids again.

So, after a few months of bugging him for a ring he finally got me one last year in February. I chose it on the internet at a fabulous price and it's just what I wanted. I couldn't live with myself if I had anything I can lose that would be worth alot...Also, I'm in a competitive civil cheerleading squad so I need to take my jewelry off quite often... So at that moment it was just a ring BUT with a promise... a promise ring...to a wedding, lol.

http://instagram.com/p/l6X_rhJHMY/

I'm a "date" person so I was thinking that having our wedding on our couple's anniversary date which is August 1st 2008, would be really really nice... and well, having it a Saturday, would be even nicer...

So having more serious talks about a wedding came more and more often, and I asked myself how we could have an intimate wedding and doing it a way that we like. Well, we are travel people (his mom owns a travel agency), we love Disney and well, having it somewhere else would naturally make it more intimate.

So 2015 it was! :lovestruc
August 1st is also my grandfather's birthday and he sadly passed away in 2013 so it would be a nice if I can honour him with my wedding. He was so eager in seeing me with the right person...

As much as I want to believe men want to get married, I think that their love for us is showed by letting us have this day FOR US... lol.
But seriously, men are as scared of weddings are we are in having kids... well, that's how I see it!

So he finally "officially" warmed up to the idea a month ago as long as it is something I really want for both of us.
I think that's an ok way of seeing it... Specially that he didn't want anything to do with weddings 5 years ago...

We made it more official with family and friends a few weeks ago and I have been researching like a crazy person. I have to send out the pre-rsvp/save the dates in August 2014 to give 3 months for guests to RSVP.

I still have to sit with my parents (they hibernate in FL during winter) to talk about cost but I do not believe I could let them spend a lot on a single date even though really important...and even though when I broke the news on the phone I got a "you don't need to think about that $$$" green light.

Next - my research and tentative plans...

Here are the plans of right now...

I have a somewhat big family and well, it's not that I see them all the time but it's a "you know how it goes" type of thing... I cannot not invite some people in my family. On the friend side, I have my girls who I can count on and that have been always there for me.

My DF (dear fiance - holy cow, I just got what this abbreviation meant!) has more friends than family... who of course, they are my friends too now.

Since my boyfriend and I want an intimate wedding, this is why we are having a destination wedding.

At first, a Disney cruise seemed like the best option as we also have been on cruises for the past 2 years and actually love it! But Disney's itineraries don't work too well with a Saturday wedding and I had read that you cannot decide at 100% the date of the wedding while on a cruise, and my date is fix. I was also kind of worried for the kids factor.

So when I first looked at a DFTW, I was not too keen of the cost. I could never see myself having only 18 guests even though it is a destination wedding! And the cost of a Wishes wedding was just not my cup of tea.

I then read the Passporter e-book just to make sure that I was on the right track with the DFTW cost and I decided that we were definitely not going to allow my parents pay the cost and minimum expenditures Disney is demanding...If the policies change, sure but not for the moment.

I started on looking at S/D weddings which looks really cute especially when I saw this picture for a reception:

small-glowing-reception.jpg

but there was something that bothered me with the outside ceremony venue...I find it empty just a little bit...
I would of preferred having everything at the West Courtyard, but we might have about 40 guests so we were told by JustMarry that this area was too small for the size of the party :(

Another important must at the wedding would be a view of the Wishes fireworks... and that didn't work out too well from the S/D unless having a DP at the GF after the reception...

So I was kind of sad that I couldn't set anything...

I was then told about the new Fours Seasons Resort opening this Summer and being so close to MK, I was sure to be able to get a glimpse of the works! And the ceremony venue seems so pretty...

outdoor-wedding-reception-1004x510.jpg

Although it is a computer rendered picture, it just seems more what I am looking for. Also, being a new hotel, and a Four Seasons, I am sure that it'll look fabulous...

20080825.jpg

I can have a Minnie & Mickey appearance and the prices for the ceremony is quite similar to JustMarry...

Now for the reception,... well there is a restaurant on the 17th floor that would have a view of the fireworks and it has a private dining area...

capa-restaurant-four-seasons-orlando-disney.jpg

BUT the max capacity is 35 :furious:

Gosh - another wall...

So I am putting things to a halt because before knowing who will b coming down, I can't really decide but obviously, if we are 35 or less, than Capa it is... but if we are more, I will have to have a plan B.

Concentrating myself on other important things...

PRE-RSVP / Save the dates
Ok, so our pre-rsvps (other than being a word of mouth thing for the moment) will be inspired by these invitations:

il_570xN.501036749_6ty4.jpg

il_570xN.561721464_k86b.jpg

f214d8e68e0abc4da1044c59758680bf.jpg

I am thankfully very artistic and creative so I will be making a first draft and I have a friend who will be making it in a high-res document so I can print them at a printer or do them myself.

Destination wedding = 1yr in advance.
I am planing on sending these babies beginning of August for a rsvp by end of October so I can finalize on my wedding plans.
There will be hotel pricing already on the invitations and people will also be able to respond if they want to book themselves or with our room block.

I also have my mother in law who is a travel agent, so that helps alot!!

I think your plans sound great! I had no idea a new Four Seasons was opening AND that you can plan weddings there! The pictures look great and that restaurant looks very classy and elegant. I'm sure you'll find a good fit for your guest count soon! It's so fun planning (...and reading other bride's plans too!) Looking forward to reading more and congrats on your engagement. Your ring is beautiful too :goodvibes

Congrats on your engagement!

I love those invites/save the dates. They are disney, without being too disney:)

Hi! Just stumbled on your planning journal~ great start! That dress is GORGEOUS! :lovestruc

Ok, well just to give a little news...

My dress fitting didn't go so well - the dress looked horrible and overly puffy. I got a few pounds to shed but yeah - I think the princess cut is just not for me!

I'm going to go towards an A-line dress and have only a 1 layer petticoat under.
So yeah, no pictures unfortunately.

I'm a stage now that I don't really know what I am suppose to do or what we want apart from have a wedding at Disney...Has anyone booked their wedding reception location without knowing exactly how many people will come (I'm talking about a destination wedding)...??

I mean, am I suppose to book the reception without knowing if we are going to be at least 10 for the wedding?... or is it acceptable to send out the invitations saying that the wedding will be in Disney, and then reserve the venue(s)?...

What are you guys doing? What have people done?
My wedding is set for August 1st, 2015 and I am intending in sending the invitations late August 2014 with a pre-RSVP by end of October 2014.

Hmmm....
I want to secure the date with a particular venue, but I don't see how if I do not know how many people will be coming...

HELP

On the good side of things, I ordered my shoes!!
img-thing
Aren't they just adorable?! Not sure how long they'll last on my feet but they are too cute!! And of course my wedding party will be in old rose <3

Oh no, that stinks that the dress didn't look how you were hoping! That does happen sometimes I've heard :worried: It's good that you know what type you'll be looking for instead, I'm sure it will be fun to try on different styles. Your shoes are so pretty, love them! I'm not sure what you would need to know when booking but I bet if you call the venue, they will be abe to help you out...being a destination wedding area, I'm sure they know exactly how it goes and will let you know how to go about the planning. Can't wait to hear more!!

Ok, well just to give a little news...

My dress fitting didn't go so well - the dress looked horrible and overly puffy. I got a few pounds to shed but yeah - I think the princess cut is just not for me!

I'm going to go towards an A-line dress and have only a 1 layer petticoat under.
So yeah, no pictures unfortunately.

I'm a stage now that I don't really know what I am suppose to do or what we want apart from have a wedding at Disney...Has anyone booked their wedding reception location without knowing exactly how many people will come (I'm talking about a destination wedding)...??

I mean, am I suppose to book the reception without knowing if we are going to be at least 10 for the wedding?... or is it acceptable to send out the invitations saying that the wedding will be in Disney, and then reserve the venue(s)?...

What are you guys doing? What have people done?
My wedding is set for August 1st, 2015 and I am intending in sending the invitations late August 2014 with a pre-RSVP by end of October 2014.

Hmmm....
I want to secure the date with a particular venue, but I don't see how if I do not know how many people will be coming...

HELP

So, my situation is a little different since we're through DFTW, but I think to a certain extent everyone books venues without knowing guest counts. The trick is to figure out who you know will absolutely be there (Parents? Your siblings? Any particular aunts/uncles/cousins you're really close to? Are there certain friends you know who would be sure to make the trip, no matter the destination?) and estimate how many you have with just that group, then think about the others you plan to invite, how close they are to you, and their travel tendencies.

Even with a pre-RSVP, you're going to have some uncertainty there, since technically, anyone you send a pre-RSVP/save the date to should also be getting a wedding invite. And, things can change - I've heard of people being told no, and then a month or two before the wedding that person says that they can now make it. While that situation is one where you can decide whether to accommodate them or not, it does happen.

We ended up just inviting the people we're pretty much certain will come - we've got a couple on the list who are up in the air, and of course, if people's situations change that could always affect whether they attend, but for the most part, it's just the people we're closest with. We didn't end up doing pre-RSVPs for that reason, though we've had a few people already letting us know that they are definitely coming, so we can start verifying some of our numbers. We didn't chose a venue that would only fit our group if a certain amount decided not to come, even though we don't necessarily exact 100% attendance - we went with a venue that could accommodate everyone we were inviting.

Not sure this will help you, but hopefully it's not completely useless advice.:flower3:

On the good side of things, I ordered my shoes!! Aren't they just adorable?! Not sure how long they'll last on my feet but they are too cute!! And of course my wedding party will be in old rose <3
Those shoes! I love Vivienne Westwood. I've heard they're quite comfortable given their material & modest heel height- so you might last longer in them than you think!

Well sometimes working for a small company isn't that bad after all...
I'm going to visit some venues for my work's banquet that we are having in Austin TX in July and I was able to negotiate a detour in Orlando which would cost my company less in airfare.

I'll be visiting WDW next June 12-13!!

Now I have to schedule some hotel tours!
On my list:
Four Seasons (If they'll let me or else I'll snoop around)
Swan & Dolphin
B Resort

Restaurants:
Il Mulino
Bluezoo

Venues:
Atlantic Dance Hall
Polynesian beach

As for wedding planner, I am really having my doubts in the last discussions on the Swalphins fb page with JustMarry... I might check out other wedding planners - not sure.

Ouhhh totally forgot cake tasting!

No time for park fun :( but I'll for sure go get my Mickey and Minnie wedding cake topper at Downtown Disney!!

I'm SO EXCITED!

So here is my new wedding dress favorites:
This dress is only available online so I would have to order it and take a chance...

didn't try these but fabulous...

D1599_main_detail.jpg

D1042_alt1_detail.jpg

This is me trying a dress which would be my no1 as of now (sorry for the bad pose, we weren't really allowed taking pictures...)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter