Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway - what we kno

There is also another YouTube video of the ride (spoiler) that includes a review of how difficult they thought it was to transfer.
Good find. I’ve been watching for a video showing someone using a wheelchair and hadn’t found one yet.
When I saw the train car pull up to his boarding area, my first thought was that was not the ADA ride vehicle! (wider opening door)
Since he mentions the door only opens about 10 inches, I was positive it was not. He did mention the transfer was made difficult by having that small door opening and would have been much easier with a wide opening.

One thing my family has noticed when transferring our daughter to rides that require a transfer is that we often don’t get the ADA ride car unless we specifically ask for it. That is even when we tell the CM that she can’t walk at all and we will be lifting her in!
We always get it at Haunted Mansion, but I think that is because we tell them we need the moving walkway to come to a full stop and I think it is set that ride car is the one they come to a full stop for. I know there is one for Spaceship Earth, but we seldom get it. Since a ‘batch’ of guests with disabilities are loaded at the same time, you would think it would be easy. I haven’t noticed if anyone else in our batch got it when we rode, but the only guest bringing her wheelchair onto the ride platform and being lifted in would seem like the most logical person to use it.
Having to ask for an ADA car instead of it being offered is an issue. Many people who could benefit from it would not know to ask.

We won’t be riding it for a while, so will be trying to get more info before then. Hopefully @Michigan and her daughter got to ride and send can report.

The reason I’ve been told for no wheelchair car is the ‘dynamic action of the ride’ which sounds like language that came from the ride manufacture. I don’t know more than that.

If that is the ADA setup I don't think I'll be riding. :( The CM asked if they needed some sort of extra assistance device. It's probably stored over in the box to the right. I'm hoping it's better than the transfer devices they have for Navi River Ride and Frozen. Both of those are devices that let you bump down to the ride seat and then back up. But they don't have good grips to hold onto while you do it and the top level of them is about 8 inches below my wheelchair seat. With the top being so low I can't make the transfer from that top step to my wheelchair unless there were nicely placed grab bars and there are no grab bars.

What in the world was that?!? I watched the video, thank you so much for posting, and I'm absolutely shocked. There seemed to be no difference between accessible loading and "regular" loading at all. No wider entry, and the fact that you still have to go down a step - and then back up - makes this ride impossible for most people who can't stand or be lifted. I can see now that I won't be able to ride at all.

And for me this begs the question of WHY? There is nothing about this ride that would seem precarious for someone tied down in a chair. No drops, no hills or falls, nothing. This looks safer to me than the safari, and even the Small World and Rio Del Tiempo boats. I cannot believe Disney took away an attraction that was easily accessible to those in wheelchairs (GMR) and replaced it with one that could easily be but isn't. And I'm sorry but Ratatouille is not a consolation prize when they BOTH should be accessible.

Has anyone had success reaching out to Disney about complaints regarding access? Who do you contact? I'm thinking from the way this ride appears in video that it wouldn't be impossible to retrofit or order a new vehicle that can provide real accommodation.

What in the world was that?!? I watched the video, thank you so much for posting, and I'm absolutely shocked. There seemed to be no difference between accessible loading and "regular" loading at all. No wider entry, and the fact that you still have to go down a step - and then back up - makes this ride impossible for most people who can't stand or be lifted. I can see now that I won't be able to ride at all.

The vehicle was pulled off to the side, assuming it gives the guest more time to get on? Not sure if this was the accessible vehicle either - it could just be a regular one pulled off at that point?

And for me this begs the question of WHY? There is nothing about this ride that would seem precarious for someone tied down in a chair. No drops, no hills or falls, nothing. This looks safer to me than the safari, and even the Small World and Rio Del Tiempo boats. I cannot believe Disney took away an attraction that was easily accessible to those in wheelchairs (GMR) and replaced it with one that could easily be but isn't. And I'm sorry but Ratatouille is not a consolation prize when they BOTH should be accessible.

While I agree it should be wheelchair accessible, it does have motion to it, just not very much. (Nothing like Dinosaur)

Has anyone had success reaching out to Disney about complaints regarding access? Who do you contact? I'm thinking from the way this ride appears in video that it wouldn't be impossible to retrofit or order a new vehicle that can provide real accommodation.

That would be great - but they don't have to, as having a vehicle with a larger opening (that we haven't seen yet, but I believe someone mentioned it does exist?) and a transfer device - the CM offered it - would be considered an accommodation, especially if they have decided the ride is too rough for a standard wheelchair.

Other than the video already posted, there are no videos I can find about accessibility. It seems each people with press passes didn’t really look at accessibilit, except for a few who mentioned in passing that there was a handicapped boarding area.
I found one blogger who uses a wheelchair for neurological issues that affect his balance and ability to walk. He didn’t post a video or go into detail, but said
« Handicapped guests need not worry. There is a separate loading platform for those who need assistance. »
His blog said he and his wife plan to ride many more times to catch all the details.
So, it doesn’t sound like he and his wife had as difficult a time getting on as the guy in the video.

I’ve got an email out to someone in a position to give reliable information and will post again when I get a reply or find more information.

It sounds like from what the blogger said, the separate loading area is meant more for giving riders extra time, but not really different access. I'm interested to hear what your contact has to say.

I was on the ride opening day. To address the roughness of the ride, I didn't notice any movements that were sudden or jolting. There is a single rider line, but it is at the point of loading (not outside the building).

I did not notice the separate loading area. There is a switchback ramp (small) just before loading into the pre-show area.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help regarding transfer and the dynamics.

Oh, the ride? I think it is the best on WDW property (I haven't done Rise yet).

I was specifically told it would be « one of the easier transfers».

The guy in the video did say that if the ride car had a wider opening door, it would have been much easier. The thing he felt made it difficult was the very narrow door opening. An ADA car would have the wider door.

I did obtain a picture of the transfer tier in place. It uses the side of the railroad car to hold it in place.
A011E441-22CA-4165-A1F2-7A6AA569B8C6.jpeg

Thanks Sue. I guess that would work but it looks about the same as the Big Thunder Mountain access options. I wonder how high that top level is?

Overall I was hoping for better. I'd like a level transfer. They built up the loading platform and it could have easily been lower to allow a level transfer. Expedition Everest is a level transfer so it can be done.

I was watching a live YouTube vlogger this morning on opening day - they don't have any mobility issues but they noted that it was a "big step" when they got into the vehicle. I didn't know if they meant a big step over to it or a big step down - but I think the latter. They seemed surprised - and both seem like physically able younger people. Looks like a fun ride!
Thanks Sue. I guess that would work but it looks about the same as the Big Thunder Mountain access options. I wonder how high that top level is?

Overall I was hoping for better. I'd like a level transfer. They built up the loading platform and it could have easily been lower to allow a level transfer. Expedition Everest is a level transfer so it can be done.
I sent a reply asking for more information.
Unfortunately, that won’t work for a lot of people who need to lift someone in to transfer.
We are looking into a manual transfer sling for our next trip. We’ll see how it goes

Having been on this ride with myself (chair user who can stand to transfer) and my husband (complete paraplegic who cannot move below the waist), I can tell you a bit.

There is a separate loading area for people who need more time. There is no hurry at all there.

I agree the door is narrow and that makes it harder to transfer, though not impossible.

My husband used the bump step device without incident. It ended up being about level with his chair.

The ride itself would be difficult for there to be a wheelchair car due to the movement of the ride vehicle. It is a little jerky, and in all directions. You can be jerked backwards or forwards, and side to side. It also spins fast enough they may have not been able to ensure that the chairs would be safe.

Having been on this ride with myself (chair user who can stand to transfer) and my husband (complete paraplegic who cannot move below the waist), I can tell you a bit.

There is a separate loading area for people who need more time. There is no hurry at all there.

I agree the door is narrow and that makes it harder to transfer, though not impossible.

My husband used the bump step device without incident. It ended up being about level with his chair.

The ride itself would be difficult for there to be a wheelchair car due to the movement of the ride vehicle. It is a little jerky, and in all directions. You can be jerked backwards or forwards, and side to side. It also spins fast enough they may have not been able to ensure that the chairs would be safe.

Thanks for the report. How does the jerkyness of this compare to Toy Story Midway Mania? I'm thinking it shouldn't be much worse than that.

I thought it was about the same as Toy Story Mania, which does jerk you around pretty good. I will say, though, I have poor balance, so a lot of things feel jerkier to me than others.
Thanks for the first hand review.
The language I got for the ride not having a wheelchair accessible car, which was “ no wheelchair car is the ‘dynamic action of the ride’ which sounds to me like language from the ride manufacturer.
Some of the first press and social media riders posted ’reaction videos’ because they were not allowed to post videos that showed more than a few seconds of the actual ride. There were points that did appear pretty jerky.

Thanks for your thoughts on this. I just can't imagine it being jerkier than Toy Story Mania or Kilimanjaro Safari, both of which require full tie-downs for good reason. And even if they had to keep it to a transfer, they could have done a better job than providing this transfer tier situation. I can't imagine using that safely, especially with limited places to grab onto. I can do a full lateral transfer onto Star Tours (very jerky) and even Soarin'. This attraction seems mild in comparison. Much like Navi, this to me is another Disney cop-out.

I feel like they could have had a dedicated ride vehicle for those that have to stay in their wheelchairs?

This has been my complaint about ALL the new rides. An accessible car for the Railway or Rise of the Resistence, an accessible boat for the N'avi River Journey. This should be a no brainer. There are accessible cars on Journey Into Imagination and Finding Nemo. There are accessible boats on The Land and Small World.

Imagineering is letting down the disabled community.

Navi is just too small- they made it an intimate boat ride, so as to keep the volume down. It wasn't meant to be a ruckus like IASW. Rise, I thought, had a lot of motion?

This has been my complaint about ALL the new rides. An accessible car for the Railway or Rise of the Resistence, an accessible boat for the N'avi River Journey. This should be a no brainer. There are accessible cars on Journey Into Imagination and Finding Nemo. There are accessible boats on The Land and Small World.

Imagineering is letting down the disabled community.
If you've ridden it you know why you can't stay in your chair. There is no ride that jerky. I thought Toy Story was jerky but one a scale of 1-10 thats a 5. Run Away Railway is a 20. The great thing is there is no waiting to get on. As soon as you are in the vehicle it leaves and attaches to the trains waiting in the regular loading area. So the woman in front of us got on and once her vehicle left one came right in for us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter