Midwest to ground all MD80's by the fall [MERGED]

I am so upset about this entire ordeal :mad:
We had the perfect times for our flights in September.
What really makes me mad is that our flight to MCO on Sept 7th wasn't cancelled, but our return flight on Sept 12th was. I wish Midwest would of let me keep my outbound flight at 7:55am. I would of just had to book a one way ticket home.
They made me cancel everything. :mad: :confused3 :mad:
Now we have a horrible time on Airtran leaving MKE @ 2:27pm not landing @ MCO until 6:04pm. The entire day is shot!!! :headache:
:mad: :confused: :headache:
I just needed to vent

I am so sorry Leann, I would pick you up on the way through Milwaukee if I had room. :hug:

Amy

Our flights were changed, our TA accepted the changes, we were assigned seats and now when I go to check on our reservation (because this is making me crazy and obsessive) our flights are in the dreaded pink.

So are we cancelled now too? It's too late to call the TA and I can't get through to Midwest. We live about 5 miles from their headquarters. Maybe I should have DH drive over there for some answers. I could scream or cry.

We were here a month ago, you should have come to visit us! I started pointing out after the first announcements in June that the MD-80's Midwest talked about were the planes used for Orlando. I was not a bit surprised that Orlando flights were eliminated. I was actually surprised they kept one plane to make it seasonal service. Another big hint was that Midwest kept saying they were going to service their business customers in the future, not leisure. Orlando is definitely a leisure market.

Sorry you had to get new flights but at least you have them. Actually,ALL of those airfares sound high to me. $320 per person? That's about $100 more than I paid Midwest originally and higher than I have ever paid Midwest. $446 sounds very high, too. My AirTran replacement flights were about $200 each less than that.

I'm definitely not a "bargain shopper" when it comes to air travel...I use the airline I want, and book the dates and times I want - with little to no flexibility.

But maybe I didn't do so bad afterall: Just for grins, I checked the Midwest website to see what the "new" schedule had available....Only one option comes up: A single person roundtrip fare for Nov 30 - Dec 7 is now $1170. :eek: (The return flight is partially operated by Northwest and includes one stop in Indy.)
Needless to say, I'm thankful I rebooked on my own with AirTran.

Our flights were changed, our TA accepted the changes, we were assigned seats and now when I go to check on our reservation (because this is making me crazy and obsessive) our flights are in the dreaded pink.

So are we cancelled now too? It's too late to call the TA and I can't get through to Midwest. We live about 5 miles from their headquarters. Maybe I should have DH drive over there for some answers. I could scream or cry.

When were your flights changed, awhile ago? Mine were changed in June when the original flights were eliminated. Then the changed flights were eliminated on Sunday, too.
If your TA accepted changes SINCE Sunday, you're probably fine. I don't know what "pink" means though.

I went to the Midwest site through the link in the e-mail that I received. I looked over my reservation and hit the request refund. I guess it worked. I got a message that said my reservation had been submitted for a refund and that it would be processed in the order it was received.

There was no info on how it would be refunded. I guess that it will be credited back to the credit card used in our purchase.

We were leaving out of Wausau. Maybe that is why the refund worked online.

Good luck to everyone.

I got through last night and asked if they could switch me to the northwest nonstop flight to lax - they said no - so I canceled and rebooked with nw. It was about $6.00 more per ticket. Also had a ticket for thanksgiving for my son to come home from LA from school - LAX-MKE and then MKE-LAS-LAX - she canceled that as well (it even had a united leg in it) and I rebooked on NW nonstop for him for $120 less. So, all in all, I'm happy!

Leslie

Still no examples then of Midwest actually booking on another airline rather than forcing you to take a refund and book the new tickets yourself...

You'd think someone in the media would pick up on that and point out that the PR for Midwest is a bunch of lies... they do NOT do everything they can to accomodate you, including booking you on another airline. That's just a line of bull and they are getting away with it in the media.

That would have been me. Go look at post #538 and answer the questions there as you still have not.

I think that 'they' would refer to the Midwest in the same sentence. At least, that's what I was taught in school. I think the question is moot.

A note to everyone on this thread.....

People...either stop tweaking each other or this thread will be shut down. If you choose to not like what another poster has posted, please be polite about taking issue with it.
This constant bickering between posters is not welcome on this board. If you can't be nice, don't post. I'm not saying that everyone has to agree with everyone else, but as long as posts are civil, in their disagreement, you'll be fine. Once they turn personal or nasty, you're done.

I don't particularly care if a poster posts info that has been out for awhile. What's the harm in that?? You can choose to ignore it if you already know about it. It is not wrong to post something that is not new.
This thread has some good info in it, it would be a shame to lock it because some can't get along with others. If you don't like a particular poster (for whatever reason) put them on ignore. I, and the other moderators here, will not stand for this 'picking at each other' behaviour. It will prevent others from posting because they may feel that they will be attacked for their posts. And that's not right. Everyone should feel welcome to post, without fear of reprisals, from other posters. Not talking pixiedust here...just common courtesy.

If anyone is still trying to get through, try the live chat. I went on-line yesterday after finding my flight in the dreaded pink and my seat assignments gone:scared1: . I tried the live chat and got a rep in about20-30 min. Your flights might not have been cancelled they might have been able to get you on flights the same day, but with new flight times and a smaller plane-that's what they did for us. I think they really want people to get refunds and that pink flight info can scare everyone. I can't believe how much plane tickets are now. I bought our tickets in Jan. for T-giving for $198, and now they are somewhere between $900-$1100 on MW. Good Luck:wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:

Pure Speculation Below

I highly doubt Midwest will be around much longer. Not only do they now have a customer fiasco, but they also have a pilot fiasco.

They have told Sr. Captains that have been with the company for decades that if they want to keep flying they will have to accept a cut in salary down to $75K per year. That may sound like a lot, but most of the Sr. Captains are making 150K + per year. That's a mighty big drop.

More eggregious though is what they are offering to Jr. Captains. Guy at my work has a son who is a Jr. Captain with Midwest says they have offered his son a new salary of 38,000 per year, from 125,000 that he is making now.

His son says the pilots will walk before accepting this. I doubt the skies will be very friendly at Midwest.

Pure Speculation Below

I highly doubt Midwest will be around much longer. Not only do they now have a customer fiasco, but they also have a pilot fiasco.

They have told Sr. Captains that have been with the company for decades that if they want to keep flying they will have to accept a cut in salary down to $75K per year. That may sound like a lot, but most of the Sr. Captains are making 150K + per year. That's a mighty big drop.

More eggregious though is what they are offering to Jr. Captains. Guy at my work has a son who is a Jr. Captain with Midwest says they have offered his son a new salary of 38,000 per year, from 125,000 that he is making now.

His son says the pilots will walk before accepting this. I doubt the skies will be very friendly at Midwest.

I kind of have the same feeling and even though I am happy with the way MW accommodated my flight I am very nervous. I don't think I will be able to relax until after we return from WDW 12-3. Yesterday on the news 2 more airlines are having $$$ trouble and reported losses. Normally we don't fly;we drive to FL. This year we are going over T-giving so driving wasn't an option with taking kids out of school and I am certain we won't be flying any time soon. I just hope MW doesn't have anymore disappointing surprises for their customers. All we can do is wait and keep our fingers crossed:flower3: .

I couldn't stand the suspense and called Midwest at 11pm last night. I spoke with a very helpful and patient Midwest employee and everything is fine with our reservations (for now:rolleyes1 ). She wasn't sure why we were "pink".

I'm still nervous that they will be around in Feb but for now I guess we just hang in there.

Continued good luck to everyone.

I agree with the speculation that midwest won't be around much longer. That's why they aren't being very helpful when it comes to re-booking, IMO.

I think they'll be lucky to make it through the end of 08. :sad2:

Pure Speculation Below

I have a feeling that Midwest is trying to break out from the Union. I really feel bad for Midwest Employees. If these pilots walk off the job and protest, I have a feeling Midwest will hire other pilots.

For those rebooking on Air Tran, I got notice already today that times for 2 of my 3 trips have changed! Air Tran seems to be adding non-stops to Orlando so look again if you couldn't find a time that you liked previously.

In my case, I didn't like the new earlier departure from MKE so I called and got both trips switched back to nonstops later in the day. You may like the new times though...

For those rebooking on Air Tran, I got notice already today that times for 2 of my 3 trips have changed! Air Tran seems to be adding non-stops to Orlando so look again if you couldn't find a time that you liked previously.

In my case, I didn't like the new earlier departure from MKE so I called and got both trips switched back to nonstops later in the day. You may like the new times though...

I actually had the flight I booked last night moved from 7:20 am to 4:00pm, but when I called they did chance it back to a morning flight. The prices definitely went up on my flights too, so I am glad I booked last night. I am hopeful things won't change significantly before December, but not holding my breath.

I actually had the flight I booked last night moved from 7:20 am to 4:00pm, but when I called they did change it back to a morning flight. The prices definitely went up on my flights too, so I am glad I booked last night. I am hopeful things won't change significantly before December, but not holding my breath.

Funny, they moved my flight from 2:51 pm back to 11:30 or so AM! I had to call to say put me back on the late afternoon flight!

I knew I wasn't alone yesterday in this MESS!!

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=775288

A constant busy signal on the phone ALL day, the persistant "red error message" on the website for my reservation telling me to call them (yeah, right), and then getting booted-off of Live Chat after waiting in line for over 30 minutes...........but Midwest's VP of Sales says "Everything looks pretty normal to us"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :sad2: :sad2: :sad2:

Air Tran seems to be adding non-stops to Orlando so look again if you couldn't find a time that you liked previously.

OMG!!! I could KISS you!!!!
blow.gif

You just saved me a HUGE headache. I don't have to drive to Orlando for my Christmas/NYE trip. When Airtran released those new fares they forgot to jack them up for Holiday pricing and I just booked my Christmas/New Year's flights for $201 each RT including taxes!!! That's less than they were charging ONE WAY yesterday. :banana:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter