Military Community Thread

jmskinner

DIS Veteran
I was just wondering if anyone would like to join in a thread for military families. I have noticed a lot of the same people posting on the United We Stand boards and thought maybe we could have an ongoing thread where we can be there for each other.

I'm an Air Force wife of 12 years with one DS8. My DH is deployed to Iraq, and has about 3 months left. This is his first tour, but was in Saudi for 12 months 8 years ago.

My stepfather is also in Iraq as a contractor. Has been for three years now.

I am fortunate enough that we are stationed in my home town and have family, including my mother here. So her and I do a lot together.

If nothing else, thought it might be a nice way to just check in with others and see how it is going.

Melissa,
I had just sent you a pm....and then returned to the board and saw this post. It's a great idea... Glad your family is so close....I see that your hubby and our Mike have shared some same experiences. Hopefully the thread can be started....it would be so wonderful to have it. Barb

Hi Barb,

Thanks for replying and I got your PM also. I am a Texan, but hubby is from North Carolina.

My hubby was originally going to be at Camp Victory and my stepdad was there as a contractor for over a year. He liked it a lot better than where he is now.

We are two months out from my hubby being home. I tell you, it has been harder since he came home for his two weeks leave. On him also.

I will write more later and send you a PM also. My mom and I are taking the kiddo to Schlitterbahn for the weekend.

I hope your daughter is doing well and she can always PM me also.

Take care!
Melissa

I don't mean to intrude but I was reading your posts and got very jealous. We used to live in Austin, Texas and went to Schlitterbahn all the time! :woohoo: It is the best waterpark I know! We even went down to the one on South Padre Island, not as good but worked in a pinch.

Oh sorry, I guess I should introduce myself. My name is Michele and my DH is in the Navy. He was deployed to Iraq recently and I am now just getting into the groove. He is still being processed so we are able to speak several times a day but that will end soon. I have a nine-year old son. He had a VERY hard time at first but went out to play with friends today so I take that as a good sign. I hope this thread continues. I had a thread going on the resort board and there were quite a few military spouses that responded. I wonder if they know this board is here.

Hi Michele.

Now I am jealous because I would love to go to the other Schlitterbahn parks. My husband actually won a weekend at the Schlitterbahn resort on our second date and he took me. I was so excited because I just love that park. I was going to it when they only had the original section.

Its good that your son is getting out. I see you have a trip planned for just the two of you. That is wonderful. We have been to Six Flags Over Texas and Fiesta Texas in the past year. Also, the State Fair.

My son is 8 and doesn't express his emotions, but here recently he seems to be angry. I think it is more at the military for sending his Daddy away, then at his daddy. I've told Daddy that he has to have a few sit downs with him when he gets home to explain everything.

rparmfamily, welcome to another spouse!

Well, it is 10:30 at night and I should be getting in bed, but need to email the hubby one more time before I go to bed. But saw the new posts out here and wanted to say "Hello".

Melissa

Hi All!! I'm Holly and I was in the Army from 95-99 and have been an Army Wife since 1998 :) DH is currently assigned as a Recruiter in Reno, NV but his "normal" Army job is a Heavy Equipment Construction Operator. In our 12 years in the Army thus far, we've been stationed in Ft.Stewart, GA; West Point, NY; DH spent a year in Korea and now here we are in Reno. We're due to PCS back into the real world sometime in the next several months, but no word yet.

Nice to see a military community here on the DIS!

I guess I could put a little more out there about me, lol!!

DH is AD Navy, and we are stationed at Pearl Harbor, HI. We LOVE it so far! (we just got here in Feb). Prior to that we've been in Italy, Maine, Virginia and Florida.

DH is gearing up for about 9 mo gone. He leaves next month. He's actually underway right now, until July. This cycle has been so much harder on my kids! I find the older they get, the harder it is. We haven't done a long deployment in awhile, so we are due. (he just got done w/3 yrs of shore duty.)

Hi everyone! I just noticed this on the top of the community board, never really looked there before but my hands were full and I couldn't move the mouse and you know how military wives are, always doing 7 things at once! I just wanted to say hello and tell you that all the AD spouses are in my prayers every day. My DH did 30 years in the Navy, I was along for 24 of those. As they say, been there done that! He went from Viet Nam to the first Gulf war. We retired out of Hawaii and I told him it was the last time I was following him! He pulled me kicking and screaming from the islands, loved it there. RParm, wait until Christmas, it will be like nothing you have ever experienced before, make sure you go to the parade in Honolulu, you haven't lived until you've seen trash trucks covered in Christmas lights! :lmao:

Hi everyone.

Hope you are having a great weekend. I didn't mention in my OP, we started out here at Goodfellow, San Angelo,TX (my home town), then to Maxwell AFB, AL, Shaw AFB, SC, Bowling AFB in Washington DC and now we are back at Goodfellow. Really curious where we will end up next since we have only been in the South and the East Coast. Of course, TX isn't the South, it is TX (I keep having to explain that to DH). DH spent a year in Saudi while we were still at Shaw and is now in Iraq.

I always get a kick out of hearing where everyone has been. Just might run into someone you knew at a previous location (fort, base etc.).

Melissa

I was just wondering if anyone would like to join in a thread for military families. I have noticed a lot of the same people posting on the United We Stand boards and thought maybe we could have an ongoing thread where we can be there for each other.

I'm an Air Force wife of 12 years with one DS8. My DH is deployed to Iraq, and has about 3 months left. This is his first tour, but was in Saudi for 12 months 8 years ago.

My stepfather is also in Iraq as a contractor. Has been for three years now.

I am fortunate enough that we are stationed in my home town and have family, including my mother here. So her and I do a lot together.

If nothing else, thought it might be a nice way to just check in with others and see how it is going.

Hi everyone! I'm not a military spouse but my boyfriend is in the Air Force (can you tell by my signature? lol). He's deployed to Saudi and has only been over there 3 weeks...has about 5 months left....:sad1: But he was stationed in Kaiserslaturn in Germany for 7 months before that. Just thought I'd introduce myself!

Hi everyone!
It would be great to have an ongoing thread to come to. One that stays consistant I mean.
I just wanted to come over and introduce myself. I am the wife of a National Guardsman. He was active Army for 10 years, got out, couldn't hang in civilian life and joined the guard! :) We are on month 13 of a 2 year deployment. We have a 9 year old son too.
Anyway, just wanted to say hi!

Hello all... I'm the wife of a current AF Reserve member. He spent several years on AD, then he went into the Guard, which was where we met. Then around the time we started dating he switched to the Reserves to go into OSI. So he's been in that for almost 10 years now! Wow!! I didn't even realize that...

Anyway, we've been very lucky in our 10 years together. He spent 1 year at Tyndall after 9/11. I got to visit him and he came home once or twice. The odds of him going overseas are pretty small, but you never know. In fact, 2 OSI agents were just killed about 2 weeks ago, he went to the funeral of one on Thursday.

He does most of his work in 1-day, he's not in the traditional role of being a part of a unit, so he gets work sent to him, investigations and such, and then does the work and submits it. And he does have to go for a few weeks during the year. And then he does some extra duty as well. In fact, today he's getting ready to leave for his 2 weeks, he's heading to Wright-Pat in a few hours. It's his first trip there, he just got reassigned after getting promoted.

Anyway, all of you with family serving overseas, you're in my thoughts. I hope they all return safe and soon!!

I'm a military wife too. I have been on fort bragg/ pope afb, NC (we are air force) for 8 months now. My dh and I both are from cali so we have no famliy here :sad1: I was away from my dh for 6 months last year till we came here, he'll be leaving me again next year for a few months.

Good iead for an ongoing thread. :)

As you can probably tell from my signature I have a brother who is a Marine. He is right now in North Carolina but will return to Iraq for his 3rd tour sometime in August. He has a little over a year left before his 4 years are up.

There is a 13 year difference between him and I so it kinda feels like he is my kid too. LOL. I could not be more proud of him!! I live in the Tampa Bay area of Florida.

Hope to get to know you guys better. ((hugs)) and prayers for your loved ones "over there".

Not sure if i can post here since its not a spouse, but
my brother's best friend, who is like a brother to me, is nearing the end of his second deployment. he is supposedly coming home next month sometime.

Marine GF here....We're stationed at Camp Pendleton right now, and we're LOVING it here. Beautiful weather, and we've got Joshua Tree 2 hrs away for rock climbing, and the beach half an hour away too.

BF is going to school in a few weeks in NC :( but he'll be back in fall, and then deploys in Jan most likely. :grouphug: for anyone who has family deployed right now!

Melissa,

You should try the other Schlitterbahn. It is not nearly as large or as nice as the original but it is a GREAT excuse for needing to go to the beach! ;)

Everyone:

My thoughts are going out to all of us today.I finally snapped out of the deployment trance last night. You know the one where you pull yourself out of bed to care for your children and that is about it. I got up this morning, mowed and edged the lawn, added flowers to my flower beds, and washed some of my curtains. I am finally on the road to recovery! WooHoo!

I knew it would come you just never know when. I personally just reach that point where even I can't stand my whiny self and find that I need to get moving. I am usually toast for the first week or so that my husband leaves and then something snaps and I am fine. I still miss him but I know I can make it. We are all going to make it!:cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

Congrats for getting out of the deployment trance! That's a tough one. DH's last major deployment was 4 weeks after DD2 was born. I'm not sure I ever really snapped out of that deployment trance until he came home! :teeth:

And who am I?

I am a current member of the AF Reserves with 17 years service (Active, ANG and Reserve) under my belt. May of 2010 is when I am eligible to retire! :woohoo:

I am also an AF wife, and have been for the last 12+ years. I have been stationed at Clark AB, Rep of the Philippines, Mountain Home AFB ID (met and married DH there), Tyndall AFB FL, Offutt AFB NE, then to the LA ANG in New Orleans. DH took at Stat tour to Tucson AZ (our current location) about 9 months before Katrina came through. We are currently contemplating one more move in order to improve hubby's chances for promotion. Hubby wnet through pilot training at Vance AFB OK, then FTU at Tyndall AFB before moving to Mountain Home.

We have 2 girls, 8 and 5.

You are in Tucson?? I am in Sierra Vista. I have never met anyone on the DIS that was close to us!
My hubby is a part of the 1/285th that was activated last year out of Marana. Looks like we might be moving up there when he gets home. He loves the shop he works for up there.
Anyway, nice to see another Arizonaer :-)laughing:) around here!!!

Congrats for getting out of the deployment trance! That's a tough one. DH's last major deployment was 4 weeks after DD2 was born. I'm not sure I ever really snapped out of that deployment trance until he came home! :teeth:

And who am I?

I am a current member of the AF Reserves with 17 years service (Active, ANG and Reserve) under my belt. May of 2010 is when I am eligible to retire! :woohoo:

I am also an AF wife, and have been for the last 12+ years. I have been stationed at Clark AB, Rep of the Philippines, Mountain Home AFB ID (met and married DH there), Tyndall AFB FL, Offutt AFB NE, then to the LA ANG in New Orleans. DH took at Stat tour to Tucson AZ (our current location) about 9 months before Katrina came through. We are currently contemplating one more move in order to improve hubby's chances for promotion. Hubby wnet through pilot training at Vance AFB OK, then FTU at Tyndall AFB before moving to Mountain Home.

We have 2 girls, 8 and 5.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter