Missed training days because of covid

Wendysofftoneverland

DIS Veteran
I'm signed up for my first Goofy challenge (I've done 3 marathons and several halfs though), and I recently got covid. 2nd time having it, mild case with just some bad sinus headaches and congestion. It's been 9 days so far since my last run, to include missing my 15 mile day. I'm expecting to get my 2nd negative test 48 hours apart tomorrow (tested negative yesterday morning). Any advice for getting back into training?

I'm signed up for my first Goofy challenge (I've done 3 marathons and several halfs though), and I recently got covid. 2nd time having it, mild case with just some bad sinus headaches and congestion. It's been 9 days so far since my last run, to include missing my 15 mile day. I'm expecting to get my 2nd negative test 48 hours apart tomorrow (tested negative yesterday morning). Any advice for getting back into training?
I’ll also be doing Goofy, so see you there.
When I had Covid the second time, it was about like you are describing. If I hadn’t gotten tested, I’d have assumed a plain old sinus infection.
That said, it did affect my breathing and I had to ramp back up over 7 to 8 weeks. (I know, not what you want to hear).
But I do have some asthma and that really affected things. If you don’t, your recovery may go a lot faster. And if you are missing a 15 mile run, then you are in far better shape than I was when I last had Covid. In fact, in better shape than I am now…
Since you have done some fulls and halfs before, ramp up as quickly as you can without pushing it and you should do fine. Unless you are going for a PR, use the photo ops as running breaks and enjoy the races.
Wishing you a speedy recovery.
That is my $0.02 worth.

I’d pick back up 1-2 weeks earlier from where you left off. Use the week or two to build your base back up gradually. Once you’ve had a week or two of solid running, you can get back into your plan as scheduled.

I had COVID last year during week 1 of Dopey training and this year week 2 of Goofy training so I feel your pain! This year was more mild so my return was easier.

I had about 8 days before I was negative. When I returned, I kept my weekday miles as scheduled but slowed down my pace. On my first long run back I shortened it quite a bit. I also allowed myself to walk more just to get the miles in. If you listen to your body and ease back into it you’ll be back before you know it.

Jeff Galloway was on the 321 Go! podcast just this last week answering pretty much that exact question. As I recall, he suggested jumping back in at the current distances, but slowing way down (including walking as necessary) and picking up the speed over the coming days/weeks as it feels comfortable.

Last edited:
Equal time off to equal time return. So if you return to running after 9 missed days, then it'll take roughly 9-18 days before you should be ready to go again. During this period of time I'd stick with easy running, and like @FFigawi I'd suggest dropping back a few weeks into the plan and easing back into where you were. Don't jump back into the plan as if nothing happened and don't advance the plan as originally scheduled. The more days off you take the more reduction you'll need before you resume normal training. You'll drop off a few weeks on the end of the plan (not including the taper), but big picture that's fine.

You may feel like you've lost fitness when you return and feel sluggish. Don't push it and be patient. I think I've shared this graph before, but it's from Jack Daniels and shows how much fitness is lost over time. So with 9 days off and assuming no leg aerobic work, you're looking at a reduction of about 1.5% or so in VO2max. So let's say you were a 2:00 HM runner (VDOT of 36.5). A 1.5% reduction is a VDOT of 36.0, or 2:01:20. You lost ~6 sec/mile in fitness which big picture is well within the margin of error in a race setting based on plenty of other factors. That fitness will be regained in about 2-3 weeks time.

Screen Shot 2019-04-17 at 1.38.31 PM.png

Thanks everyone for the advice. I really like that graph. 6 sec per mile of lost fitness doesn't sound bad. I spent the first wk post covid just doing a lot of walking. I did a 3 mile run and a 5 mile run so far, and it is going okay. I'm bummed I don't feel ready to resume interval training, as I seem to get really exhausted when I try to push the tempo, even for just a minute at a time. I was hoping for a PR, only because I hate marathon training (I get bored once the runs go much over the 2 hr point) so I want to "make it count" every time. It sounds like maybe I should just relax and plan for an easier marathon and focus on doing my best at the half. I just did a 2:03 half for my PoT last month and was hoping to cut that down to my PR 1:53 by January. Maybe that's still doable? Sounds like I just need to take my time, listen to my body and see where I am a month or so from now.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I really like that graph. 6 sec per mile of lost fitness doesn't sound bad. I spent the first wk post covid just doing a lot of walking. I did a 3 mile run and a 5 mile run so far, and it is going okay. I'm bummed I don't feel ready to resume interval training, as I seem to get really exhausted when I try to push the tempo, even for just a minute at a time. I was hoping for a PR, only because I hate marathon training (I get bored once the runs go much over the 2 hr point) so I want to "make it count" every time. It sounds like maybe I should just relax and plan for an easier marathon and focus on doing my best at the half. I just did a 2:03 half for my PoT last month and was hoping to cut that down to my PR 1:53 by January. Maybe that's still doable? Sounds like I just need to take my time, listen to my body and see where I am a month or so from now.
> "I think I've shared this graph before, but it's from Jack Daniels and shows how much fitness is lost over time."

Is there also a chart from Jim Beam? Asking for a friend....

As for Wendy's post, so much to agree with there, starting with getting bored with runs over 2 hours, if not even a little sooner.
And getting unexpectedly tired when resuming training, yep, that sounds familiar.
As for your last sentence: this <gestures like Coach Beard in Ted Lasso>
My guess is that, given your prior times mentioned, you are in good enough shape to ramp back up by January, just don't rush it.
FWIW, I'm also going to try for a PR in the half, and then the full will be for photo ops and as much walking as needed to finish.
Good luck with it.
YMMV

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter