MK Bus wheelchair/ECV at closing

I was once in the middle of a fierce argument at Magic Kingdom between a bus driver and the cast member at the bus line. I was pulling up in my wheelchair 🦼 to a line of guests waiting for the bus, as the next bus was pulling up. The bus driver looked at me and pointed to the wheelchair loading place outside the queue. I nodded yes, ok.

I started in that direction and the CM said no, get in the queue. I started to turn around to obey the CM when I heard the beeping sound of the ramp being deployed. The bus driver shouted “Hey, over here”, so I stopped trying to turn around and headed toward the bus.

The CM then yelled at the bus driver that I wasn’t in line. He then yelled it was “My bus” and “I load it” then he montioned me forward. It was really uncomfortable with everyone watching.

It's not your fault. I think (and hope) most of the folks watching would know that it's not your fault.
I was so rattled by the whole thing, I just wanted to vanish into thin air. But I did get on the bus quick as I could so it would be over.

I was once in the middle of a fierce argument at Magic Kingdom between a bus driver and the cast member at the bus line. I was pulling up in my wheelchair 🦼 to a line of guests waiting for the bus, as the next bus was pulling up. The bus driver looked at me and pointed to the wheelchair loading place outside the queue. I nodded yes, ok.

I started in that direction and the CM said no, get in the queue. I started to turn around to obey the CM when I heard the beeping sound of the ramp being deployed. The bus driver shouted “Hey, over here”, so I stopped trying to turn around and headed toward the bus.

The CM then yelled at the bus driver that I wasn’t in line. He then yelled it was “My bus” and “I load it” then he montioned me forward. It was really uncomfortable with everyone watching.
Imagine being the guest with a mobility device and already in the queue (as per WDW policy at closing at MK) and seeing this? I hope there were no other guests needing the ramp in the queue already!

Wrong. Unless you know something that the US Department of Transportation doesn’t know.

https://www.transit.dot.gov/if-nondisabled-person-sitting-one-“priority”-seats-front-bus-does-person-have-move-so-person#:~:text=If, after the operator asks,people to vacate the seats.

If a nondisabled person is sitting in one of the “priority” seats in the front of a bus, does that person have to move so that a person with a disability can sit there?​

Under Department of Transportation (DOT) Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) regulations at 49 C.F.R. Section 37.167(j) bus operators are required to ask the person without a disability to move to another seat. If, after the operator asks, the person refuses to move, the regulations do not require the operator to compel this person to move. However, a transit operator can decide to adopt a policy requiring people to vacate the seats.

Should people move? Yes. Do they have to under federal law? No.
Priority seats are different than the seats that can flip down when a wheelchair is not using them.

The bus driver knows how the loading works and how ridiculous it is to have to unload a bunch of people to load a chair. Because of the maneuvering you have to do, you can’t have a bunch of people in the seats and aisles in front of the slot because you have to pull up into that area to back in correctly. But what a shame you were stuck in the middle of that exchange.

Thanks for the explanation!

I’ve been trying to figure out what the big deal is. I mean, if a bus holds 70 people (totally made up number on my part) and I’m in a wheelchair and I’m the 71st person in line, why would I expect to go ahead of everyone else?

Obviously as wheelchairs get closer to the front and to the point where they’ll be able to get on the next bus, then move them to wheelchair loading area and let them on first. But I don’t get why they would otherwise go ahead of everyone else.
If a bus holds 70 people, and you number one through 70, you get on the bus. Not so for a wheelchair user. If 2 people before them are also wheelchairs, you don’t get on the bus. Whether they are 3rd, 4th, 5th….70th, they will never get on if they are behind 2 other chairs. On half my trips that visit the bus loaded all the people waiting, but not me because I was the 3rd chair, 7 times. Yes, I had lines where both people and chairs were left. But it was only twice. It makes no sense to insist on the ‘same cue’ for both when there is truly only one cue for chairs and the limit is 2. I did one trip ride on one of the newer busses that had 3 slots available. That bus didn’t have seats that flipped down either. If a chair wasn’t in the slot the only option was to stand in that slot. Not sure if they are all going to be that way or not.

Imagine being the guest with a mobility device and already in the queue (as per WDW policy at closing at MK) and seeing this? I hope there were no other guests needing the ramp in the queue already!
Or, even other guests who have been waiting in line for 30 minutes for the next bus. It's aggravating when you've been waiting that long and then someone in an ECV just arrives at the bus stop with a party of 8 and they are all loaded before anyone who has been waiting in line. That is what gets people aggravated and I've seen it happen a lot. The person using the ECV and one person from their group should load and the rest of their party (and there could be an exception) should get in the queue and wait with everyone else. If they all get on the same bus, great. If it appears they all might not get on together, then let the person with the ECV decide if they want to wait for the next bus so they can all ride together.

Or, even other guests who have been waiting in line for 30 minutes for the next bus. It's aggravating when you've been waiting that long and then someone in an ECV just arrives at the bus stop with a party of 8 and they are all loaded before anyone who has been waiting in line. That is what gets people aggravated and I've seen it happen a lot. The person using the ECV and one person from their group should load and the rest of their party (and there could be an exception) should get in the queue and wait with everyone else. If they all get on the same bus, great. If it appears they all might not get on together, then let the person with the ECV decide if they want to wait for the next bus so they can all ride together.

Agree on the parties with the scooters. We were at Boardwalk waiting for a bus and there were like 6-7 waiting for the next buses. We were first there so obviously would be on the first bus to come. It was just my Mom and myself. The other party that boarded was 1 scooter for Grandma and 19 of her nearest and dearest. They all just coming in the back door and dropping their crap on the scooter that was parked and moving up to the back area of the bus to all sit down. The person who sat by me on the bus was complaining about it (and I don't blame her at all) and I said well I was with the other scooter and she said they did not care at all about me boarding with my Mom as we were a party of 2 ---- it was the 19 that boarded with the other lady that angered her. I often wish the deluxe and dvc resorts would have queue lines like at the values or at the parks to make it more fair for the boarding. Her 19 family members could have boarded with everyone else instead of with her. That woman even boasted that they got the scooter to get on the bus first so all their family members could have seats. Those are the ones who give other handicap parties the bad reputation.

Agree on the parties with the scooters. We were at Boardwalk waiting for a bus and there were like 6-7 waiting for the next buses. We were first there so obviously would be on the first bus to come. It was just my Mom and myself. The other party that boarded was 1 scooter for Grandma and 19 of her nearest and dearest. They all just coming in the back door and dropping their crap on the scooter that was parked and moving up to the back area of the bus to all sit down. The person who sat by me on the bus was complaining about it (and I don't blame her at all) and I said well I was with the other scooter and she said they did not care at all about me boarding with my Mom as we were a party of 2 ---- it was the 19 that boarded with the other lady that angered her. I often wish the deluxe and dvc resorts would have queue lines like at the values or at the parks to make it more fair for the boarding. Her 19 family members could have boarded with everyone else instead of with her. That woman even boasted that they got the scooter to get on the bus first so all their family members could have seats. Those are the ones who give other handicap parties the bad reputation.
Exactly!!! Shame on the bus driver for letting them all board at the same time. Especially at the end of the night when everyone is tired, "grace" is a little more limited by then!

Exactly!!! Shame on the bus driver for letting them all board at the same time. Especially at the end of the night when everyone is tired, "grace" is a little more limited by then!

This was actually at the Boardwalk first thing in the morning. It was ridiculous though no matter what.

So you let the EVC and one helper on what is your plan for preschooler grandchild with no other adult? Yes happened to us as someone yelled to driver only 2 not 3. Besides being a preschooler he is special needs. My husband was having to help me and at same time control grandson. Of course he was loaded with us.

There is no requirement that people move. They can be asked to, but they don’t have to.

Unless you have a link that states otherwise, of course.
It depends on state and local municipalities to, on a federal level you are correct, but local laws may be more strict and if you look on the signs, they do have local codes that state they MUST move as I recall.

So you let the EVC and one helper on what is your plan for preschooler grandchild with no other adult? Yes happened to us as someone yelled to driver only 2 not 3. Besides being a preschooler he is special needs. My husband was having to help me and at same time control grandson. Of course he was loaded with us.
Actually, it is supposed to be 4 people (3 plus the mobility device) max if the stop is busy, obviously if it is not busy, then it doesn't matter.

If you read my post, I did say there can be exceptions, and what you noted is one.

Last edited:
If you read my post, I did say there can be exceptions, and what you noted is one.
And as I said have had someone complain when husband and I had our young special needs grandson with us. They wanted me to handle grandson with my ECV and my husband to board with others. When I asked if they would be responsible for grandson as I needed husband help. Response was we guess he can load with you and made the whole loading take twice as long as normal. Which they were also complaining about

And as I said have had someone complain when husband and I had our young special needs grandson with us. They wanted me to handle grandson with my ECV and my husband to board with others. When I asked if they would be responsible for grandson as I needed husband help. Response was we guess he can load with you and made the whole loading take twice as long as normal. Which they were also complaining about
Was it a guest in li e who was complaining? If so, I’d totally ignore them or speak to a CM and say you’re being harassed. If it is a CM, then I’d run it up their chain of “supervisors”. No need for all this stress. Although I get it. My mom has anxiety about loading/unloading her scooter so I’m the one who eill load it for her. We’re happy to go wherever in a queue as long as she gets a spot.

So, there were 6 or 7 scooters. The 7th scooter would have to wait for the 4TH BUS before they could be transported. How many people in line at the time the 7th scooter arrived had to wait for the 4TH BUS before they got to ride?

And how many scooters had 19 people accompany them? Yes, there are occasional people who flaunt the rules. Boarding with 19 is an example. So are people who refuse the bus driver’s command to vacate the seats marked for wheelchairs. Are we shaming the refusers to move as much as the 19 pre boarders?

Shame on them. Was it another guest? I know you would have gladly let them board before you if they wanted to exchange their ability to walk around the park for your need to use a scooter. Most of the drivers and CM are really good, but there is the occasional lemon. Sorry you had one but I’m glad you put the need for him to preboard in terms he could understand.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter