Mods please close this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
For DVC logo items, I have occasionally been required to show a membership card. For DVC member "exclusive" items, like pins or watches, I have always been required to show my card.

I have never been asked once.

We have tons of totes, jackets, etc but I guess I need to say we always bought the merchandise at a DVC resort.

I have seen the odd DVC logo merchandice for sale at the Character Premier stores at the Premium Outlet Mall and the now closed Prime Factory Outet Mal on International Drive. I don't know if anyone bought that stuff there but I don't think they would ask for membership cards if people did, since those stores sell merchandice that has been around for like 6 months to a year.

CR Resort Fan 4 Life said:
Anyway since my family and I are not DVC members was I still wrong for purchasing these pins, even though the Cast Member never asked for any DVC membership proof? I personally feel I did nothing wrong because it's the Cast Member that should ask for any proof of DVC membership, so I should be shut out of these pins because of their mistake?

yes, you were/are clearly wrong. You knew that those items are intended Solely for DVC members, just as there are/is merchandise solely intended for Annual Pass holders. Despite apparent perceptions, I doubt that you don't know right from wrong. Yes, the CM Should have asked to see ID....but the fact that they did not, does not make your action/behavior right....sorry.

...please keep the thread on topic, which is the ability to purchase DVC Member Exclusive merchadise (or other exclusive merchandise) without actually being a member of the group to which the merchandise is supposed to be exclusive.

I don't think there is anything necessarily wrong with purchasing exclusive merchandise without actually being a member of the relevant group. If memory serves correctly, I have actually seen "exclusive" merchandise at the Disney Clearance store in Vegas (which I think is now defunct). I don't really have the time nor the inclination to do so, but I imagine a web search would turn up plenty of exclusive merchandise. We generally don't have an interest in buying these items when we're members of the appropriate group and I'm non-plussed by whether anyone else does (their business, not mine).

Besides if are real I think my family and should have 1st crack at them since we always stay on the Atrium Club, compared to you since you are not staying there.

The only thing I have to say, You are offended by someone else trading or buying a few pins from the Atrium Club, when you have stayed there more then someone that only has stayed there less times then you.

Now you know how DVC Members feel about you purchasing DVC pins when you are not a DVC member and you have not spent one dime purchasing DVC, and not to mention paying DVC dues. There is a reason Why Disney makes exclusive DVC pins FOR there DVC members and you are not a DVC member. The DVC items not pins, ( that is why DVC pins are not displayed in the store for the public to see) that are sold in the store for both DVC Members and the public to purchase are not exclusive for DVC members only, please by all means purchase DVC items (not pins) its just free advertising for DVC, the faster DVD sells out a DVC resort the faster DVD will introduce a new and exciting DVC resort. :woohoo:

There have been several threads about the fact that we would like to see more and different DVC merchandise. Many of us would really like to see more offerings...from pins, to clothing items, to household goods, and so on. For many on these boards (if not all :goodvibes ) we consider DVC to be our hobby (thus, our participation on the DIS Boards)...and our club. As such, we like the idea of having special merchandise.

So, while some may not have a problem with you purchasing something that was exclusive to DVC, others will. Similarly, the CM who offered you the pin may not even be aware that this is a sensitive issue. BCV is a DVC resort, so the majority of the guests are members and maybe the CM just made an assumption. Maybe the CM just forgot. Maybe the CM was new there and didn't realize the rules. The "maybes" are endless. However, since you were aware of the rule (you must have been otherwise you would not have started this thread), you knew that you were not entitled to the puchase the pin.

In the grand scheme of things is this a big deal? No. It's just a Disney collectible, not a life-or-death matter. But, don't ask that the thread be closed simply because people are calling you out on your behavior.

I never knew you actually had to show a membership card to buy a logo items -- I bought two DVC hats from Saratoga and didn't have my membership card on me since I never carry it around -- it stays in the safe unless I'm going somewhere where I know I need it for a discount!

This is a little off topic, but your post brought to mind a question. Is there a wallet sized booklet or small format listing that sets forth the different discounts available to DVC members? (I'm thinking of something along the lines of the Annual Pass booklet.) I can never remember where/what the discounts are when I'm at the World unless I have a list to refer to. (Few brain cells left, evidently.:sad2: )

When you check in they usually give you in the packet of information a "Portable Perks" - it may not be called that - which list all of the perks for DVC members. It is small and would fit into a fanny pack or a purse or backpack. Comes in handy for those of us with few brain cells left ! :rotfl:

dannyh23 said:
I never knew you actually had to show a membership card to buy a logo items -- I bought two DVC hats from Saratoga and didn't have my membership card on me since I never carry it around -- it stays in the safe unless I'm going somewhere where I know I need it for a discount!

There is a difference between DVC logo merchandise and DVC exclusive merchadise. There is no real issue with buying a DVC logo item in a resort store, as a gift on a cruise or in a character store.

The "exclusive" merchandise is usually kept out of sight and is displayed only on the request of a member. Buying a DVC logo shirt or cap should not be a problem, as those are displayed for public purchase by anyone in the store. If a non-member wants to purchase an item identifying them as a DVC member, so be it. The question here is in regards to items identified as DVC exclusive merchandise which is usually not on public display - normally only seen by members asking what is available for DVC members.

The question here is in regards to items identified as DVC exclusive merchandise which is usually not on public display - normally only seen by members asking what is available for DVC members.

well said Doc and i would like to add, 99% of the time you are ask to show your DVC card to purchase the DVC exclusive items. :thumbsup2

often the 'member exclusive' items are in short supply or go very quickly. About 2 years ago I was online from my studio at OKW, and received a request to purchase a member's only pin for another member/poster.

I did, and also wanted to buy some other resort ones for other members (it was the holiday book style pin). Several resorts were already sold out, so I could not give those members some magic as I had hoped.

often the 'member exclusive' items are in short supply or go very quickly. About 2 years ago I was online from my studio at OKW, and received a request to purchase a member's only pin for another member/poster.

I did, and also wanted to buy some other resort ones for other members (it was the holiday book style pin). Several resorts were already sold out, so I could not give those members some magic as I had hoped.

Exactly! The merchandise on the rack is no big deal. There are many made and more then enough for everyone.

Member's Only merch. like pins are usually only done is lots of 2,500, 5,000, maybe a little more. And usually there is a limit on how many you can buy at once. So by a non-member purchasing one, that is one more less for us members.

-Matt

The "exclusive" merchandise is usually kept out of sight and is displayed only on the request of a member. Buying a DVC logo shirt or cap should not be a problem, as those are displayed for public purchase by anyone in the store. If a non-member wants to purchase an item identifying them as a DVC member, so be it. The question here is in regards to items identified as DVC exclusive merchandise which is usually not on public display - normally only seen by members asking what is available for DVC members.

Gotcha! I learn something new every day.... :thumbsup2

I absolutely agree....DVC merchandise and logo wear is open for anyone and everyone to buy...It's out on the racks because it's good advertising. DVC "EXCLUSIVE" items like the limited edition watches and pins, etc, are never out on display other than possibly one, and that will usually be at the register.

If you purchased an "exclusive" pin meant for members only, did you turn around and sell it on Ebay for a profit???? That's just wrong. I fail to see any reason why a non-member would want something exclusive to members unless they were trying to profit in some way from it.

Aside from the Everest opening, you would be hard pressed to find a DVC exclusive pin that could be profited off of.

The question that begs to be asked is why would anyone, not a DVC member, actually want to buy anything that had the DVC logo? Not a huge deal, but I just can't imagine why. I buy it because I'm a member and it reminds me of my great trips 'home'.

When you check in they usually give you in the packet of information a "Portable Perks" - it may not be called that - which list all of the perks for DVC members. It is small and would fit into a fanny pack or a purse or backpack. Comes in handy for those of us with few brain cells left ! :rotfl:

Thanks, LSUtigger! I will definitely look for that. Love your screen name, btw. DH and I lived in BR during grad school at LSU and we are rabid Tiger fans. Now that I think about it, that may be where I lost some of the aforementioned brain cells. :rotfl: DH is now a prof at Miss State and we are looking forward to that first Thursday night game when the Tigers come to town. :cheer2:

ETA: Sorry about hijacking the topic. We will now return you to the very serious discussion of fraudulent purchasing and impersonating a DVC member.

After reading 8 pages all I can say is .....

congrats on getting one over on DVC. I hope you enjoy your pins as much as you have stirred up the DVC members.

I have always had to show my membership card when buying DVC pins. I don't know why they didn't ask you for a membership card but they couldn't have picked a more grateful person to do so.

Frankly I don't really care. It is nice that there are special pins for DVC, AP etc...

For DVC logo items, I have occasionally been required to show a membership card. For DVC member "exclusive" items, like pins or watches, I have always been required to show my card.

It's funny, we almost always stay at the BCV and we've never been asked to show a member card when we buy DVC logo items. I usually go right to the store after check-in and "stock up" on whatever is new since my last trip. :guilty: One year we stayed at Saratoga and I bought one of those DVC nylon backpacks and I was asked to show ID. D you guys think it has to do with the fact that Saratoga is an all-DVC resort while BCV is part hotel and part DVC? I never thought of it before.

Also, I just wanted to say thanks to the people who pointed out that there are exclusive items for sale behind the counters. I never knew! Is it just pins or is there other stuff for sale?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter