Monkeys at Animal Kingdom

hclapointe

Earning My Ears
Hey y'all,

Planning our 5th trip to WDW over Christmas and New Years and have a very odd question that I can't answer myself! A person in our party is deathly afraid of monkeys, any and all, real and fake! We of course all want to go to Animal Kingdom at least twice and don't want to leave her out if we can avoid it. I've never looked for this sort of thing before and this is a first for me having to consider this. We're wanting to confirm if there is any monkey related activities or potential for a run in outside of the Safari. We are wanting all encouragement for her to join us but she just won't take our word for it. Could I please get some help to assure me that this could/would not happen. I truly cannot foresee anything of the sort but want additional confirmation - It's her third trip to WDW and she's always been much too afraid to go to AK, she's missing out and we want to break this!!

I don't think Rafiki would be a problem :)

Many thanks!

There are small monkeys outside of KALI river Rapids and a gorilla enclosure on one of the trails

I think there are monkeys all over the place, but i'm not sure. None of them are running wold, but this might be one to have her skip because if she's there, she's gonna see monkeys.

Outside of Kali River rapids are gibbons, which are apes but most people don't know the difference and I assume your friend has issues with them as well. There are small tamarins on the trail across from creature comforts (Starbucks). Apes and monkeys on the gorilla trails. At no time do any monkeys come out of their enclosures.

The area to really avoid is between Africa & Asia. The monkey area has a lot of them flying around branch to branch, they are a blast to watch but I'm sure it would be to much for your friend.
You can see the monkey icons on the image attached, then use the link for the full park map
AK Park Map
Monkeys.png

The area to really avoid is between Africa & Asia. The monkey area has a lot of them flying around branch to branch, they are a blast to watch but I'm sure it would be to much for your friend.
You can see the monkey icons on the image attached, then use the link for the full park map
AK Park Map
View attachment 442551

Super great advice on where the monkeys and apes are located in AK in this thread! OP, I would recommend looking at the AK map and circling where you would find real and fake monkeys. You can absolutely avoid these areas and attractions and enjoy everything else AK has to offer. I would avoid all animal trails, FOTLK and the path between Africa and Asia. There are no monkeys or apes on the safari. If you want to ride EE, I would use the path between Dinoland and Asia. Don't go anywhere near Kali River Rapids.

Actually, there are mandrills on the safari, which is the largest of all monkey species. The siamangs (which are apes, not monkeys) are located in the lagoon between Kali and Anandpur. there are Gibbons near the entrance to Kali / Maharaja Jungle Trek. There are colobus monkeys in a small enclosure on the trail to Rafikis Planet Watch. There are cotton top tamarins on Discovery Island near the ice cream stand heading into Africa. I think there is one other species of monkey in an enclosure on the Gorilla Falls Trail, which you walk by when exiting the safari. Of course there are the gorillas on the trail at the end. There are the tumble monkeys in the FOLTK show, and that includes a lot of real monkey noises as part of the soundtrack.

Actually, there are mandrills on the safari, which is the largest of all monkey species. The siamangs (which are apes, not monkeys) are located in the lagoon between Kali and Anandpur. there are Gibbons near the entrance to Kali / Maharaja Jungle Trek. There are colobus monkeys in a small enclosure on the trail to Rafikis Planet Watch. There are cotton top tamarins on Discovery Island near the ice cream stand heading into Africa. I think there is one other species of monkey in an enclosure on the Gorilla Falls Trail, which you walk by when exiting the safari. Of course there are the gorillas on the trail at the end. There are the tumble monkeys in the FOLTK show, and that includes a lot of real monkey noises as part of the soundtrack.
I forgot about the ones on the safari. They weren't out the last 2 times we were on it.
I think the best advice is look at the map and circle the areas with monkeys and avoid those trails as much as possible.

I forgot about the mandrills as well. We haven't seen them the last few times we've gone on the safari. Better safe than sorry, I suppose.

I feel like there are monkeys almost everywhere, but if you look at the ground or straight ahead, the contact should be minimal...

Even images of monkeys abound at AK --- carvings in the tree of life, statues in the Everest line, as PP mentioned, probably paintings and statues at various places throughout, and in the restaurants. Possibly monkey sounds on soundtracks, too?

AK Park Map
View attachment 442551

Another thing about the area between Africa and ASia, The monkey enclosure is large and they are well contained. But. we like to eat at Yak and Yeti foods (quick service) I think it's called. One time, apparently the CM's occasionally engage the monkeys in loud screaming. I mean LOUD. It was so loud that it was no fun eating there. I don't know why they do this or how often, but it was extremely irritating.
I also have a fear of any and all monkeys, and the ones at AK are not running around free, can't get to you, and are fun to watch knowing this. I don't think she will have a problem at all. My family thinks it's funny and tease me with stuffed monkeys, etc:)

Does she have isssues with fake monkeys or images? If so she should probably skip AK.
Agree! Even if the friend is carefully guided around AK, won't their anxiety be such that they won't enjoy it? Lots of other simian-free entertainment around WDW to enjoy while you do AK.

Now, if there's also a fear of mice...;)

Even images of monkeys abound at AK --- carvings in the tree of life, statues in the Everest line, as PP mentioned, probably paintings and statues at various places throughout, and in the restaurants. Possibly monkey sounds on soundtracks, too?
Oh gosh, that’s a great point! If you see It’s Tough to Be a Bug, don’t you walk right under a big giant carved monkey in the tree roots? And lots in the mural at Conservation Station too.

Thank you :)

Don't go in that area as they are vocal and make themselves known. That means skipping Asia Animal Trail and Kali River .... and walk to Everest via Nemo theater side. Monkeys are on animal trails. And you are going to find them in the artwork around the park but if she doesn't stare at things she might miss them. Tree of Life on multiple locations and a giant one as you walk in main area, she would need to close her eyes and be helped. OR you could ask as you pass stroller folks if they can let you in the back door where FP+ went in. Gorilla is in the Rainforest logo so might be visible when you walk in park. Plus don't eat there. Monkeys are in Lion King Show. Yeti but she can close her eyes on the inside parts of the ride.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter