MONSTER INC Box Office Results

Status
Not open for further replies.
AV, I thought Tarzan was a $170m gross. I just checked a few sites (the-numbers, IMDB) and they have that number. Are they wrong?

btw, clue in a clueless guy. What's wrong with Jar Jar??

Nope, count me amongst the minority I guess. Movie watching for us: 90% of the movies we go to are the three of us (Monsters, Inc , Shrek) 10% are my wife and I (and she ain't going to use those precious few outings on Star Wars).

Honestly, I'm not really the (forgive me if I use a bad word) science fiction kinda guy. Seems I am in a big minority here. WDW-mania and Star Wars-mania seem to go hand in hand for some reason.

I actually Don't mind Jar Jar. I just waiting for the Re-edit of return with the Ewoks replaced with Wookees. :)

Jar Jar is Ep1's Ewoks. Meant to appeal to kiddies. Many many Star Wars fans hate both. I'm pretty forgiving. Most fans think Star Wars is theirs, not George's.

The biggest internet rumour about Ep2 is that Jar Jar Dies at the Hands of the future Vader.

AV, while I agree that Ashman & Menken were primary in the success of the huge Disney flicks (in fact, I believe they don't get enough credit), I believe Phil Collins did a great job with Tarzan...

As for the Pixar picadillo, I am ambilvelent as to who gets the credit. I actually see Bob O's point, which is rare coming from me, Disney animators didn't do the creating...But still, Disney accountanteers did the negotiating and the deal is still Disney's - And as Scoop points out Disney made a whale of a deal.

Further, while Pixar seems on top of the world and while everything they touch turns to gold the fact is that no one is perfect. Wall St. today commented favorably upon Disney's parnership in this deal while speaking of downgrading Pixar (not good news for them)...Also, the Disney-Pixar relationship is what gave Pixar their showcase. Now, I know business is business & ego is ego, but Mr. Jobs should be smart enough to realize that the Pixar name with a Disney attachement has more wiggle room with a not so successful picture attached to it. What would happen (and imagine the pressure) if Pixar dumps Disney and goes it alone or picks up a minor player as a distributor-partner and has a much hyped, much anticipated Atlantis type flop? Their ability to maintain respect, dominance & a second chance is far less likely without the simple name "Disney" attached to it...
:cool: :cool: :bounce: :cool: :cool:

Why did Disney decide that the music didn't matter any more? I've been puzzling over this for a while. I certainly used to look forward to it.

I disagree that Elton John can't use the formula to create musical masterworks. I think that the music in The Lion King is some of the best of the lot. That said, I was disappointed in the work by Sting, one my favorites.

Thread One

I just want to note that what I’ve been writing about is not what I think should happen, or even what I think is in the best interest of Pixar; I think the separation is the most likely outcome given all the circumstances.

Pixar by itself would be a very risky proposition. It would essentially be a one product company and likely forced back into doing commercials and special effects work (which I think they dislike doing). And because of the nature of animation, they’d live from film to film – again another risky situation to be in. Of course, that’s exactly how Walt Disney Productions lived until Walt was forced to make live action features after WWII, so there is a precedent that they could follow if they’re serious about it.

Even partnering with Lucasfilm – er – I mean someone else would be tricky. None of the other studios are entrenched enough in animation at this point to weather a flop or two without taking on water (by the way Captain, I hope to winds were kind to you and yours). Disney had the luxury of being able to take an ‘Oliver and Company’ and ‘Pocahontas’, but even they stumbled greatly in the 70s-80s and recently. If Pixar cranks out a couple of flops in a row they could be wiped out entirely.

And most of Pixar’s strengths really come from John Lassiter and his team. While I really enjoyed ‘Monsters, Inc.’ (Pixar’s first non-Lassiter film), there are enough story and script problems in it to give me real concern. Fortunately, all movies are about their last thirty minutes and they were able to pull it out. In lesser hands, ‘Monsters’ could have really been a major disappointment.

Thread Two

As for ‘Tarzan’, that was really Disney’s most non-formula movie in terms of story structure and approach. It’s also my favorite of the post-‘Lion’ era because I think the writers tried to go back to honest storytelling (they just needed more time to work it all out). The songs in that film were a part of the score rather than trying to be part of the story – basically you had Phil Collins replacing instrumental music and it worked very well. In contrast, watch the opening musical number in ‘Beauty and The Beast’. In the course of just that one song, you are introduced to all of the human characters, learn what they want, and learn all about their relationship to each other. That’s a lot of plot to get through in so short of a time. About the only way you could do that is with music. It’s also EXTREMELY difficult to do well and Disney hasn’t found anyone how can really pull it off since Menken and Ashman.

In ‘The Lion King’, the score really isn’t integrated into the story. Essentially, the movie comes to a stop and the characters put on an entertaining show. Once they’re finished, the movie starts up again. It works because the script is so strong that it can support the occasional diversion. This kind of score is easier to write (you only need to express an emotion rather than work in a plot) and it’s also much more likely to generate a Top 40 hit (again, there’s none of that plot stuff to get in the way – people who don’t know what’s going on in the movie can still follow the song). With the recent films, Disney’s been much more interested in soundtrack sales and Top 40 tunes. So people who can “crank out the hits” are hired over people who can write Broadway musicals.

With the success pixar has had i dont believe Jobs is going to be happy playing second fiddle to disney and will go where he gets the best deal, and disney isnt known for its ability to get along with other companies. If you look at animated movies for the last several years and cost in the production costs/marketing costs i think you will find that pixar's movies have made alot more money then disneys animated films and what the last disney animated film that beat Shreks numbers?? I think you will have to go back to at least a couple years and disneys productions cost more to make. The success of Monsters i believe will benefit pixar more than disney in the long run. With my own kids they like the humor of shrek/cartoon channel/nick the cuteness of disney. They will all like a film the caliber of lion King but when you put out movies like emperors new groove/Atlantis they will suffer with a lack of repeat business.

I guess that I see your point Another Voice even though I did think that Can You Feel the Love Tonight flowed nicely and the opening of the Lion King had me teary eyed. It was just so powerful and moving with the scenery and animals and THAT song. I also loved Scar's number but it did stop everything didn't it? I guess that to me the music was so good throughout this film that I never really noticed that the action stopped. :)

Anyway, I hope that Disney brings back music in any manner!

AV, I completely agree. As an unabashed fan of musical theater, the ability to integrate songs and music into the plot is a special and rare gift. You see it in opera, but rarely in a popular format. Disney hit the "mother load" with them and finding another team like Ashman/Menken would be very difficult. (Look at their work with Little Shop of Horrors! Incredible!)

The only other recent movie of Disney's that seemed to do that was "Nightmare Before Christmas". Maybe Disney could hire Danny Elfman?

The real problem, though, is that they need to have a "sponsor" for that kind of creative in-house. Someone who feels strongly about the work. That person, unfortunately, was Jeffery Katzenburg, and he is looooooooooooog gone.

The musical format of the 89-95 Disney era was a "magical" combination of many factors. JK's vision, the money and culture to take risks, the Ashman/Menken creative, etc. To expect the planets to align easily again would be foolish. To "write off" animated musical theater as an art form would also be foolish. If it's done well, it will again succeed.

Every time I read about the death of Broadway Musicals, I know it's just a matter of time until another "Producers". If Disney doesn't want to do it (Classic Feature Animation) anymore, someone else will. And I bet I know who that will be.

Originally posted by Bob O
With the success pixar has had i dont believe Jobs is going to be happy playing second fiddle to disney and will go where he gets the best deal ...

With the current Disney philosophy of stick your head in the sand - the world is ending that is running the theme parks I doubt Disney will be making the best offer.

Hmmmm, who do I dislike more Steve Jobs or Eisner?

Shrek is all hype! Yeah, it was a good movie, but it was all Disney, if not for making fun of the disney characters, and spoofs of disney, it would not have been HALF the movie it was! Admit it, all it was was a Disney take off, (remember Pinocho's nose), etc.? YES, it made $200 million, but I for one think it was a fluke, let's see what else Dreamworks puts out any one remembers in the future! Let's sit back and see what THEY do the next few years, IMHO, I don't think they will do that good, but I could be wrong, we shall see won't we?..........

deerh

As a veteran (victim) of many musical theatre productions and two theatre history classes devoted to musical theatre, I would like to say emphatically that Ashman & Menken were among the best there have ever been. Their scores are not music that goes along with the book their scores are an integral part of the storytelling process. To use theatrespeak, they drive the dramatic action. You don't stop thinking about the story to hear a song. The song IS the story. This is what separates the ordinary from the extraordinary. This is what gives me goosebumps when I hear "Under the Sea" and makes me cry when I hear "Somewhere That's Green".
I guess my point is that this kind of extraordinary talent doesn't come along every day. When it does, Disney needs to be in a position to attract them. It seems to me that the focus has turned from writing songs that tell a story and become popular in the process to writing pop songs and from theatrical songwriters to pop songwriters. If your business is musical theatre (or musical animated features) this is counter productive.
I think that the company would be better served if they spent less on trying to get what they want from expensive, established musicians and more on finding those truly extraordinary people who can tell a story with timeless music.
Sorry for the ramble; I knew I shouldn't have posted this early...

Well said, HorizonsFan! I still feel the last good Disney musical was Hunchback. All the ones since then feels like the music was added as an afterthought.

Shrek is all hype! Yeah, it was a good movie, but it was all Disney, if not for making fun of the disney characters, and spoofs of disney, it would not have been HALF the movie it was!
You have no clue what you are talking about here.
Admit it, all it was was a Disney take off, (remember Pinocho's nose)
No, it wasn't. It took a couple jabs at Disney here and there but to say that "all it was was a Disney take off" is a very ignorant statement. And btw: the Pinochio character does not belong to Disney.
YES, it made $200 million, but I for one think it was a fluke,
...and what was Pearl Harbor? or Dinosaur? or Atlantis? Were they all flukes or has Disney forgotten how to make a decent movie without Pixar's help?

Monsters Inc grossed $45 million this weekend (about $20 million ahead of Shallow Hal)
and has thus far grossed $123 million.

WATCH OUT SHREK!!!

Actually, Pearl Harbor made *more* money then Shrek. PH pulled in $250 million overseas for a total of $448.3 million. Shrek made, um, "only" $447.5 million. I know they're very close, but by no means can you paint PH as a total failure. It made more money overseas than any other film, and also was the biggest money-making movie for the 2001 summer season.

Monsters Inc grossed $45 million this weekend
Great...I have nothing against Monsters, in fact I think it's a really great movie...I took my kids to see it on opening day and we have a 'personal' copy of the movie that they've watched on the DVD player about half a dozen times already. For Disney's sake I hope this movie makes a ton of money for them. That said however I still feel that Shrek is a better movie with slightly better animation and I hope it gets the Oscar next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter