More Contemporary Gossip!

las3888

DIS Veteran
We are just back from a wonderful stay at OKW and went to SSR to see the AKV models. While in the SSR models, we coyly asked one of the CM's what is the deal over at CR? She said that she doesn't "know" anything, but she hears what they tell her from over there (not sure where "over there" was). We had a very "hypothetical" conversation about what the rumors were. She said that the rumors were that they were building DVC over there, but they were told again just recently that NOTHING was being announced, so she couldn't say anything. I asked her what were the "rumors" about opening, and she said, well, AKV won't open the new building until 2009 if that helps. Ugh. DS is 2 - just hope he is still of "Magic Kingdom" age if this ever happens. Anyways, we rode the monorail several times and saw the massive construction site. I hope they keep plugging away!!!

In Disney right now.....rode the monorail upfront this morning and saw the huge construction site and asked if it was something with the CR and monorail driver told us it was a new DVC tower (~15 stories). He didn't know much more so I came here looking for info and found this thread. Guess I won't be getting too much info now since its still top secret.

We are just back from a wonderful stay at OKW and went to SSR to see the AKV models. While in the SSR models, we coyly asked one of the CM's what is the deal over at CR? She said that she doesn't "know" anything, but she hears what they tell her from over there (not sure where "over there" was). We had a very "hypothetical" conversation about what the rumors were. She said that the rumors were that they were building DVC over there, but they were told again just recently that NOTHING was being announced, so she couldn't say anything. I asked her what were the "rumors" about opening, and she said, well, AKV won't open the new building until 2009 if that helps. Ugh. DS is 2 - just hope he is still of "Magic Kingdom" age if this ever happens. Anyways, we rode the monorail several times and saw the massive construction site. I hope they keep plugging away!!!

My DS is almost 12, has been to the magic kingdom 11 times and has never lost any of his pixy dust. Don't worry. There will be plenty of time for your DS to enjoy

Thanks for your info! I hope CRV really happens. Maybe when SSR sells out? I wonder how close they are to that?

Can you really outgrow the magic? It just wanes for a few years before it come back. It usually come back with new little ones - that you can extra spoin since your grandparents. :rolleyes1

My guess would be 2010-2012.

First off, putting up a 15-story building is no small task. That will take awhile. And they certainly cannot sell anything until the building is complete. At least 3-5 years I would say.

My DS is almost 12, has been to the magic kingdom 11 times and has never lost any of his pixy dust. Don't worry. There will be plenty of time for your DS to enjoy

I* agree...my older two children...dd 16 and ds 13 still love it!

First off, putting up a 15-story building is no small task. That will take awhile. And they certainly cannot sell anything until the building is complete. At least 3-5 years I would say.

thank I can afford it in 2010 - can't in 2009. although I don't think it will sell out that first year anyway. but if DVC gives any discounts those are generally in the first 6 months of sales.

Sure they can! They are doing it with AKV right now.

This past Christmas/ New Years trip my granddaughter who had turned 20 the week before informed me that she was happy to be going with me for the 11 days because I'm the only one that does the parks with her which means riding all the mountains and most of the other stuff. If we're any indication anyone waiting for CRV will be fine - I'm 64 so hopefully they will have something in place before those 2 yo's outgrow the MK.

Not really.

Florida timeshare law says a certain % of construction mus be complete before you can sell those units. I think it's 70%.

AKV is currently selling the units INSIDE AKL. Thus, 70% of the construction (because the lodge building, itself, "counts" toward that %, not JUST the "remodel" construction that needs to be done) is already LONG since finished. They won't be able to sell units in the NEW building until those units are 70% complete.

There have been so many rumor threads about the Contemproary in the past month (especially).

Mods--can we combine them all into one thread like when AKV was such a hot topic?

There is a difference between AKV(and SSR) for that matter and the Contemporary. AKV and SSR are built in phases allowing an area to be completed and sold while the next area is being built. That is not so easy to do with a 15 story building. It pretty much has to be within months of finishing before it can start to be sold. I mean do you really want to share the elevator with sweaty plumbers and their toilets they are installing. No offense to plumbers.

Not really.

Florida timeshare law says a certain % of construction mus be complete before you can sell those units. I think it's 70%.

AKV is currently selling the units INSIDE AKL. Thus, 70% of the construction (because the lodge building, itself, "counts" toward that %, not JUST the "remodel" construction that needs to be done) is already LONG since finished. They won't be able to sell units in the NEW building until those units are 70% complete.

So, if they convert some of the CR units in the tower or South Wing, then they could start selling CR, too, right?

So, if they convert some of the CR units in the tower or South Wing, then they could start selling CR, too, right?

Sure, if they did.

But it doesn't sound like that's their plan....at least so far.

Keep in mind, they'd have to have filed permits to that effect and so far there's nothing "out there" that would indicate that plan is on, literally, the drawing boards. All we've seen are the filed plans for the "C" shaped addition, etc.

Remember, Contemp rooms have been notoriously hard to remodel over the years. Not impossible (obviously) but not easy, either. I'm not sure they'd want to undertake the project of trying to "convert" Contemp rooms (as in, adding a kitchen, etc) to the existing structure. Plumbing, electrical, and other facilities services have always been, reportedly, "troublesome" before.

Edit: As spiceycat points out below, ESPECIALLY after having already spent $$ to refurb those rooms within the past couple of years. I'm not sure they'd "waste" money that way....

besides the CR is a hot item again.

the new rehab was a big success.

so I am not expecting any DVC rooms in the current Tower.

probably while the other tower is being build.

Wishful thinking - was wondering if they could break out of the standard method of operation & temporarily "convert" a few floors of the Tower & South Garden units into DVC accommodations. Would get around the % requirement for TS sales (ala AKV)

In my mind's eye, there are enough fans to "settle" for the current hotel rooms; pending the devleopment of new resort. Think "value" rooms/points ala BW standard in the existing buildings.

Once the new tower is erected; they'd switch out some of it's rooms to allow the resort to also use the building...thereby gaining back the lost units.:idea:

where's the suggestion box?;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter