Na'Vi River Journey - Rider Switch Or No?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a follow up on an old thread. Did our Disney trip last week. Asked for a Rider Switch for Navi River Journey and got one with no issues. I had booked FastPasses for FOP for myself, my 9 year old and my 7 year old while booking out FastPasses for NRJ for my wife and 4 year old. It let us get around the Tier One restriction at AK and skip the hour plus waits for both rides (as well as let my 9 and 7 year old ride FOP twice each day!). Hope this helps someone with their future plans!!!!
Please stop gaming the system. Rider swap wasn't created so you could bypass the tiers. It is for people who legitimately need it. This is a big pet peeve. Things usually get taken away or changed for the worse because people like you are abusing and using the system in a way it was not intended.

Please stop gaming the system. Rider swap wasn't created so you could bypass the tiers. It is for people who legitimately need it. This is a big pet peeve. Things usually get taken away or changed for the worse because people like you are abusing and using the system in a way it was not intended.

I'm usually a huge defender of what you call "gaming the system" - I don't think it's a loop hole, I think Disney intentionally wants to make a good experience for people with little kids compared to the local theme parks, so that those people with little kids become life long Disney people. But that's for rides when you have a small child who is UNABLE to ride something like RNR or Test Track.

But again, I can't imagine why they are giving out rider swaps on NRJ. There is no height limit. There is nothing scary. It's truly just "hey, we'd like to ride multiple times" I don't get how people are so brazen as to ask for it, and I sure as heck don't get how WDW is giving them out.

But again, I can't imagine why they are giving out rider swaps on NRJ. There is no height limit. There is nothing scary. It's truly just "hey, we'd like to ride multiple times" I don't get how people are so brazen as to ask for it, and I sure as heck don't get how WDW is giving them out.

My DD 10 has an intellectual disability and has a hard time distinguishing real from fantasy. I could see her having fear and anxiety of the avatar character. I've been debating if I would encourage her to go on the ride or utilize the rider swap.

I'm usually a huge defender of what you call "gaming the system" - I don't think it's a loop hole, I think Disney intentionally wants to make a good experience for people with little kids compared to the local theme parks, so that those people with little kids become life long Disney people. But that's for rides when you have a small child who is UNABLE to ride something like RNR or Test Track.

Oh, I am not saying rider swap in general is gaming the system. However, they admitted that they were using it to get around the tiering. That is gaming the system and if enough people do it, Disney will either eliminate it or make changes.

I don't really think this is gaming the system. My four year old freaked out at the Little Mermaid ride. She did not like Peter Pan. She was okay with It's a Small World. In general she did not like the dark rides. Had this ride been an option on our trip I can see how we might have used Rider Switch.

My understanding is they also offer rider switch for Frozen Ever After.

Disney offered Rider Switch and it was used. If Disney thought it was a big issue they would stop offering Rider Switch on this ride.

Oh, I am not saying rider swap in general is gaming the system. However, they admitted that they were using it to get around the tiering. That is gaming the system and if enough people do it, Disney will either eliminate it or make changes.

But how exactly are they gaming?

IDK. Say you have a group who have FPs at the same time. So all of you check in for FPs and ask for a child swap for x number from your group who aren't going to ride at that point. You are issued a paper ticket for x number of guests to come back and ride anytime through remaining park hours.

This is the procedure used in Pandora which is probably the strictest. So how does anyone get double rides if this is what they do?

Half of the group had FP for FoP and half for NRJ. Each half got RS passes and the other half rode with them - effectively giving the group FP for both rides.

NO issue with RS for rides with height restrictions, etc - but what's described is a clear gaming of the system.

So you just ask for a RS pass at Navi? Doesn't the CM ask to see the whole party? I'm confused. We leave in 4 weeks so I'd love some more personal experiences with this. As of now, DH and DS are doing FoP while me and DD are doing Navi. DD is not tall enough for FoP and I'm scared of motion sickness for FoP but I'm sure DH and DS would enjoy Navi and would love to get them a RS pass. I like clear cut answers.
Yep. We just simply asked and were given one. No questions asked

Not sure how this is gaming the system. If Disney allows for the Rider Switch (and have clearly built the capacity into their system), how does this negatively affect anyone? It doesn't take up any extra FP and the rides go off not at full capacity all the time. This is the very definition of "no harm, no foul"

Not sure how this is gaming the system. If Disney allows for the Rider Switch (and have clearly built the capacity into their system), how does this negatively affect anyone? It doesn't take up any extra FP and the rides go off not at full capacity all the time. This is the very definition of "no harm, no foul"

What rides ever go off not at full capacity? Disney is incredibly good at filling every boat/car/whatever, and the only time they wouldn't be at full capacity is if there weren't lines for the ride, in which case neither fastpass nor baby swap is needed anyway.

I definitely don't hold it against people who use the baby swap if Disney allows it, but I really can't fathom why they offer it a NRJ.

(Obviously there are occasional extenuating circumstances on *any* ride and CMs are good at handling that - everything from a toddler needing a potty break after waiting in line for 45 minutes to a clearly panicked person who decides at the last minute that they just can't get on the ride. That's different then giving out baby swaps as a matter of course.)

Half of the group had FP for FoP and half for NRJ. Each half got RS passes and the other half rode with them - effectively giving the group FP for both ride
What rides ever go off not at full capacity? Disney is incredibly good at filling every boat/car/whatever, and the only time they wouldn't be at full capacity is if there weren't lines for the ride, in which case neither fastpass nor baby swap is needed anyway.

I definitely don't hold it against people who use the baby swap if Disney allows it, but I really can't fathom why they offer it a NRJ.

(Obviously there are occasional extenuating circumstances on *any* ride and CMs are good at handling that - everything from a toddler needing a potty break after waiting in line for 45 minutes to a clearly panicked person who decides at the last minute that they just can't get on the ride. That's different then giving out baby swaps as a matter of course.)
I thought it was odd myself. We did an FOP where there were 2 empty spots, and the NRJ we did had rows in the boat that weren't at capacity either. Half the cars in Everest were occupied by a single riders. Not sure if it's inattention or not, but there was a bunch of unused capacity during the week we were there (last week of September). Lines were as expected (150 minute waits for FOP, 70 for NRJ.

I thought it was odd myself. We did an FOP where there were 2 empty spots, and the NRJ we did had rows in the boat that weren't at capacity either. Half the cars in Everest were occupied by a single riders. Not sure if it's inattention or not, but there was a bunch of unused capacity during the week we were there (last week of September). Lines were as expected (150 minute waits for FOP, 70 for NRJ.
So who in your party was scared and couldn't ride NRJ? I stick by my initial statement. You openly admitted to getting it to bypass the tier restrictions. It is supposed to be for parents who legitimately have someone who can't ride, not to double up on passes.

So who in your party was scared and couldn't ride NRJ? I stick by my initial statement. You openly admitted to getting it to bypass the tier restrictions. It is supposed to be for parents who legitimately have someone who can't ride, not to double up on passes.
Oh, no one was scared. I never intimated that they were. I think the Tier restrictions are ridiculous. If someone can find a way around them to make sure they and their families get to enjoy the most rides possible (again, without inconveniencing anyone else who is at the park), I say go and have fun. No moralizing from my end! :-)

Oh, no one was scared. I never intimated that they were. I think the Tier restrictions are ridiculous. If someone can find a way around them to make sure they and their families get to enjoy the most rides possible (again, without inconveniencing anyone else who is at the park), I say go and have fun. No moralizing from my end! :-)
So because you don't like the rules, it makes it ok for you to abuse the system. Entitled much? You ARE hurting others. You are using extra spaces in the FP line that you don't have a right to. Therefore you are making the standby wait longer. Why don't you go up to the CM and ask for a rider swap and explain what you are really using it for? I'll tell you why you won't, because they won't give it to you. It is for families with kids who can't ride, period. When the program is done away with or lessened, people can come back and thank entitled jerks like you.

So because you don't like the rules, it makes it ok for you to abuse the system. Entitled much? You ARE hurting others. You are using extra spaces in the FP line that you don't have a right to. Therefore you are making the standby wait longer. Why don't you go up to the CM and ask for a rider swap and explain what you are really using it for? I'll tell you why you won't, because they won't give it to you. It is for families with kids who can't ride, period. When the program is done away with or lessened, people can come back and thank entitled jerks like you.
At least it isn't getting personal.

I assume you haven't ridden NRJ yet Ranger. The boat rows seat up to 5 people. If three of us went, that would be the full row as they don't crowd another group in with you. With kids, you can seat up to 5. Our use of the Rider Switch didn't keep one person from getting on the ride. But feel free to be as judgmental as you like. I hope someone gets some use out of what I learned this last week. I don't get why Disney offers Rider Switch on NRJ either, but as long as they do, I hope families can take advantage of it. Never lose that Disney spirit Ranger! :-)

Last edited:
I can't figure it out myself. Unless it has something to do with the lack of wheel chair accessible boats maybe?
This is the only reason that makes sense for why Disney offers Rider Swap on NRJ. Perhaps they implemented it in response to negative feedback about the lack of wheelchair accessible boats.

The rules for Rider Swap state that the whole party, including the child who is unable to ride and the adult waiting with them, are supposed to approach the ride entrance so the CM can see that the party is eligible to use Rider Swap. But we all know that doesn’t happen consistently, many CMs just hand out Rider Swap passes to anyone who asks for one, and people know that and take advantage.

Just because something is possible, doesn’t make it the right thing to do.

This is the only reason that makes sense for why Disney offers Rider Swap on NRJ. Perhaps they implemented it in response to negative feedback about the lack of wheelchair accessible boats.

The rules for Rider Swap state that the whole party, including the child who is unable to ride and the adult waiting with them, are supposed to approach the ride entrance so the CM can see that the party is eligible to use Rider Swap. But we all know that doesn’t happen consistently, many CMs just hand out Rider Swap passes to anyone who asks for one, and people know that and take advantage.

Just because something is possible, doesn’t make it the right thing to do.

I don't know if I just look shifty or what, but every time we've used rider swap we've had to show our too-small-kid. Once at Star Tours (of all places!) I was actually holding my 3 year old when we asked for one, and they made me put her down to measure her to verify she was too small before they'd let us have the pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter