• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Need a MacGyver-ish solution - Cooking frozen pizza at campsite

MomofSixinSC

Mouseketeer
I am planning our menu for our November trip to the Fort (Lord willing!). I thought maybe for one meal we could have frozen pizza. But we won't have a microwave or oven. We will have a propane stove. Any neat ideas for how to do this, or should I give up and go back to my previous idea of nachos?

Where is this frozen pizza coming from?

I hope not the Trading Post.

Because I recall that you are on a tight budget.

And that alone will blow it.

I have seen recipes for cooking pizza on a charcoal grill. But not for frozen pizza.

You don't have a toaster oven at home by any chance, do you? I don't have an oven in my camper, but I bring along a toaster oven and it can cook plenty of things. If you have a toaster oven, you could bring one and make English muffin pizzas. Those are good. And easy. And not expensive.

I vote for nachos.

TCD

If between now and when you go, you can splurge and get a pizza cooker from walmart or target, do it. They sometimes will run on sale for $34.99. The cook the pizzas on a circular pattern and do very well. This way, you can bring some of those Tombstone $2.99 cheese pizzas that are frozen and cook them up very nicely and save some buckolas.

03430.jpg

Here is the walmart link, but they weren't on sale when I looked, sorry.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Presto-Pizza-Oven/3218?wmlspartner=GPA&sourceid=44444444440282145369
They are worth every penny if you don't have a convection oven or something else to cook the pizzas in. We bring frozen pizzas every time we go camping. DS loves "cheezy pizza" and it is cheap and fits the bill nicely.

Nachos are overrated

I would be buying the froz. pizza at Publix. But the more I think about it, the more I like the nachos idea. We are usually tired and cranky by tthe time we think about eating on vacay. I can do fun, meatless nachos by putting cold refried beans in individual frito snack bags with some cheese. Give that to a child with a plastic fork and you have party! LOL

Thanks for the camp oven articles, Dis-Dreamin. I might try those on our Septemeber camping trip to Hunting Island State Park. Nothing to do there but hang at the campsite or play on the beach. More time for cooking. :)

We managed acceptable results at one Boy Scout campout by treating individual slices of frozen pizza like foil pack meals. We broke the pizza apart into slices and tightly wrapped each one in a heavy duty foil packet with just about a teaspoon of water to help it heat all the way through. Then just throw it on a bed of coals about 5 - 7 minutes. Like I said, the results were acceptable, not exactly oven-fresh. Biggest problem was foil getting stuck to the bottom of the pizza. :thumbsup2

I can do fun, meatless nachos by putting cold refried beans in individual frito snack bags with some cheese. Give that to a child with a plastic fork and you have party! LOL

Hey, now there's a great idea! :thumbsup2

Very little work.

No clean up.

Fantastic.

Scratch the pizza.

TCD

I know what to do!! I will buy some pizzas before we go and store them in my freezer at home. Those will be dinner my first full day home. That way, i won't have to fuss about dinner while geting caught up on laundry etc. Oh, and posting my trip report! That should definitely have priority! :lmao:

How about a big magnify glass ?
It might take you a while to cook a pizza, but boy as a kid I was really good at fry'n up a few hundred ants in no time with one :woohoo:

I know what to do!! I will buy some pizzas before we go and store them in my freezer at home. Those will be dinner my first full day home. That way, i won't have to fuss about dinner while geting caught up on laundry etc. Oh, and posting my trip report! That should definitely have priority! :lmao:

You are full of good ideas today! But, the TR should be the FIRST priority. :thumbsup2

How about a big magnify glass ?
It might take you a while to cook a pizza, but boy as a kid I was really good at fry'n up a few hundred ants in no time with one :woohoo:

I'm not so sure about this.

But she did ask for "MacGyver-ish." And that, my friend, is most certainly MacGyver-ish!

TCD

Do you have a dutch oven? If so, make what we call bubble up pizza. Mix all the ingredients like sauce, toppings and biscuit dough (cut the biscuits in quarters) pour in ur dutch oven (i line mine) and bake.

If between now and when you go, you can splurge and get a pizza cooker from walmart or target, do it. They sometimes will run on sale for $34.99. The cook the pizzas on a circular pattern and do very well. This way, you can bring some of those Tombstone $2.99 cheese pizzas that are frozen and cook them up very nicely and save some buckolas.

03430.jpg

Here is the walmart link, but they weren't on sale when I looked, sorry.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Presto-Pizza-Oven/3218?wmlspartner=GPA&sourceid=44444444440282145369
They are worth every penny if you don't have a convection oven or something else to cook the pizzas in. We bring frozen pizzas every time we go camping. DS loves "cheezy pizza" and it is cheap and fits the bill nicely.

Nachos are overrated

Never seen one of those before! Where have I been??? I was wondering how I could bake frozen pizzas in our tiny oven - and here I thought we would have to resort to bagle bites or pizza rolls!:worship:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter