Need hotel advice for Universal if you can't afford onsite hotels

LeahA

DIS Veteran
My brother and his girlfriend are going to Universal for a long weekend, they are not doing Disney and cannot afford Portifino or Hard Rock. They are twenty something and thirty something and want a hotel close by so they can go to Citywalk at night.

What's your reccomendations?

Thanks,

Leah:jester:

Leah, I would go to Priceline and bid on a Universal 3 star for their dates. The Radisson Universal, a great hotel right across the street from the parking garage, has been going for about $25 a night.

The Holiday Inn Universal is another good offsite and it's literally across the street.

I highly recommend the Best Western Movieland. It's close to Universal, you can get really good rates there, and it's actually a really nice hotel. I stayed there for business one night last year. The rooms are clean and recently refurbished. The only movie theming is the movie posters on the walls in the hallway.

I just stayed at the Holiday Inn and it was very nice. I had a large suite with 2 queen beds, a sleeper sofa in the living room, 2 tv's, full fridge, dishwasher, micro, coffee maker, and toaster. Not bad for 89 bucks a night (Entertainment rate).
But don't rule out the onsite hotels until you have checked their entertainment rate!
One place I recommend you STAY AWAY from is AmeriSuites which is right next to the Holiday Inn but a world apart in value and service! I stayed there for 79 per night and got a small room with a partition wall & loveseat and mini-fridge that they had the nerve to call a suite. One night the fire alarm went off at 3 am, came back to room another night to find my room not only unlocked but the door wide open, and other problems.
:jester:

I stayed at the Ramada Limited right on that road, and swore I'd never do it again.

One night, a stranger popped right into my room in the night, with her key! When I was screaming my lungs out to the lobby demanding an explanation, I found out that the codes to get in the rooms are actually shared in those cheap hotels! ANYONE could play around with his key and after some trial and error, find all the doors in the hall that match the same combination!

So, if you choose to stay in one of those, regardless, make sure that you take all your valuables with you and use that bar on the door frame when you are in the room, because your neighbor could come back drunk enough to think he was getting in his room and land in yours instead!

Wanda

Robinrs,

What are the 3star hotels for Universal on Priceline, is there a list somewhere?

Leah

Here's the list of Universal 3 stars from www.biddingfortravel.com:

Homewood Suites www.homewood-suites-orlando.com/
Parc Corniche Resort www.parccorniche.com/
Radisson Universal www.radissonuniversal.com/
Rosen Centre Hotel www.rosencentre.com/
Sheraton Studio City www.sheraton.com/property...1142&lc=en
Sheraton World Resort www.sheraton.com/property...=852&lc=en
Wyndham I-Drive www.wyndham.com/OrlandoRe...efault.cfm

I would check with that website on available bonus money and the rates these hotels are accepting lately.

Good luck!

That's a funny story about the duplicate keys.

Just stayed at the HoJo at 7050 Kirkman road for $35 (plus tax) a night and the room was clean. I was very surprised. It's located 1 block past I-Drive. Takes only 5 minutes to get there from the parking garage.

I dunno, for some reason I never have problems with the cheap hotels, guess I'm lucky. I am careful, never leaving valuables in the room. Heck, one time I stayed in a Days Inn in Columbus Ohio by myself, and left nothing in the room when visiting a theme park for the day. It would be hard for two people to do this, but I'd always make sure to take valuables out.

Go online to www.hojo.com and type in Orlando for the city, then look for that address.

I assure you, once a stranger breaks into your room, the story is anything but funny.

But beware, anyone daring enough can figure out which doors alternate codes in the hall. I can't recall the details, but I was told that alternate rooms or opposite sides have exactly the same codes, something like that! Contrary to what some may believe, less than three codes exist for all the rooms in those hotels

After I chewed out the manager, I got a code that not even the cleaning crew could use, for the rest of my stay. But after that experience, I refused to stay in a cheap place ever again!

Wanda

To Suzy;

I was thinking of booking an amerisuites, did you get a pullout sofa and two double beds. We have never stayed in one before but liked the idea of the pullout sofabed, in fact were thinking of staying in one on our drive down, but we usually pick countryinn and suites.
Can you elaborate on why you did not like it, and is it all of them or just that particular one. I am getting worried about picking one for the drive to florida. Thanks,

Deb.

I would definitely check out priceline, especially if you are not set on getting a particular hotel. I recently was successful with a bid of $30 per night for the 3-star Wyndham Orlando resort on I-Drive, while their lowest advertised rate is $119.

The Amerisuites I stayed at was the one on Caravan Court, very close to Universal. I have read posts from people staying at other Amerisuites that were mixed, a few that liked them because they got a good priceline deal, and one that had a similar experience to mine with fire alarms going off in the middle of the night, and they also had the lobby ceiling collapse (note to the powers that run this board PLEASE fix the search feature!).
Even aside from all my other problems, the fact that the fire alarms malfunctioned in 2 of thier hotels that I know of is cause enough for me to avoid the chain now and forever. But in case that's not enough to convince you:
In my case I had booked 5 nights (for myself and 3 kids) plus a second room for 2 nights as a treat for some friends that were meeting me.
The room itself was not that bad. It was clean and new looking but I thought it was a real stretch to call it a suite. It was a standard size room before they pushed the 2 beds together and threw up a partition wall. There was literally 1 foot between the bed and the walls and 2 feet between the 2 beds. The TV was positioned so that you could swivel it to watch from the bed area or the seating area but not both at once.
In the area that was supposed to be the living room there was a love seat (pull outs may have been available- we did not request or get one) a chair, & a small coffee table to the left of the door. To the right was a small desk and a counter with a micro, a small sink and and a mini-fridge. VERY crowded. There may have been a coffee maker- I tend to ignore those in all hotels as they are never cleaned to my liking.They offered a decent free continental breakfast buffet in the lobby. It was very cramped for 4 people but @ 79 per night but I would have tolerated it... if not for the daily crisis!
The first night the fire alarm went off at 3am. Down 6 flights of stairs to the lobby to find everyone returning to their rooms saying it was a false alarm. The next day when I asked at the front desk I was offered no explaination or apology.
Night#2 the toilet in our bathroom backed up- I called 3 times over a 2 hour period to get it fixed, finally someone showed up at my door and handed me a plunger! I demanded that he fix it or get someone to do it so he fixed it but he left a huge wet mess on the floor.
Night#3- my friends checked into their room- it had no shower curtain. They got it the next day after several calls and visits to the front desk.
Night #4- 11 pm after returning from a day at the parks I approached my room to find the door not only unlocked but held open by the metal privacy bar. Apparently housekeeping intended to come and finish making the beds and never got around to it. Had anyone looked into the room they would have seen my $700 digital camera sitting right on the desk-
Night #5- finally a night without a crisis! yipee! So now we are doing a final check of the room before checking out- looking under beds, in drawers- you know the drill... well my daughter looks under the loveseat and comes up with an almost empty vodka bottle! YUCK!
I brought the bottle with me to the desk when I checked out to show them and tell them it was the last straw and that I would never come back. This time they apologized and took one night off my bill, nice try, but too little too late for me- It was honestly the worst hotel experience I have ever had in Orlando.
I apologize for the long post but one last thing- In contrast, last week I stayed at the Holiday Inn right next to the Amerisuites. For $89 (Entertainment rate) we got a suite with a full LARGE living room with TV, pull out queeensize sofa, coffee table, chair with ottoman, dining table, full size fridge, sink, dishwasher, coffeemaker(sorry Holiday Inn but yours was grungy too), toaster, and separate large bedroom with 2 queen bedsand a second TV. There is a Friday's on the ground floor that offers a full (although not free) buffet breakfast and excellent room service. (amerisuites had no room service at all).
If you are not staying onsite I highly recommend Holiday Inn.
:jester:

Hi: Wow, sounds like I will stick with country inns, I am just looking for the drive down and maybe the first night at orlando, we are heading into wdw resort and maybe hardrock for a night or two.

I remember on another drive to wdw, we stopped in a quality inn and the first room I checked the sheets and a spider jumped out, well it could happen, but the next room just gave me the creeps cause it was old, we stayed but I hardly slept I woke everyone up at 4 00 a.m. to get on our way to our wdw resort.

Thanks for your explanation, I now understand.

Deb

I stayed at a Ramada on I-192 recently and someone was vaccuming at midnight! I almost called the front desk to complain.

I normally stay at the Days Inn on Sand Lake Road and normally have a very good room. I've logged onto the Days Inn website and normally land up with a room for $30.00. I've never had a bad room. In the morning you get a Orlando paper every morning.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter