Never thought I'd do it- Cancelled.

I wasn’t feeling the magic for our last trip this past December before we went. We didn’t cancel and when I got there I was excited again. We had fun and tried some new restaurants . I still felt the magic after arriving. Anyway I understand how you feel.
I agree with what you're saying. We were more apprehensive before heading there in early December, but we had a nice time. The magic of Disney at Christmas returned nicely for us. Certainly not the same since before Covid, but getting there......

Yes, we
I don’t have a choice. I have 6 day tickets I bought a year ago. I’m eventually going to have to use them. It’s good to be forewarned. It’s disappointing to hear about genie plus. It worked so well for us at DL.
Yes, we are going back March/April to use up our 2020 tickets. DH and I used ours last September, so he and I will not be going to the parks. (We did everything but Remy). DS and family are going to use their tickets (expired and "reinstated" them for an additional $600.00/4), but mostly staying offsite. Only onsite for the early morning advantage and late night hours which may or may not be available when we go. I'm hoping for the magic. My granddaughters love the BBB, meet and greets, princesses, etc. We're not even booking a character meal (for the first time ever - we normally have several to get as many characters done as possible). Will miss the PPO Garden Grill breakfasts as well. No autograph books for us! Our past 2 years family vacations have been staying in cabins at resorts with lots of outdoor activities. We love it. We asked the girls where they wanted to go for spring break and they said the cabin. Too bad; we've already booked Disney. lol!

We're going in June and I usually hop back on the DISBoards about a year in advance to catch up what I've missed and to assist in my trip planning. I've been reluctant throughout the booking process and reading threads both on here and FB have added to my pre-trip regret, but we promised our daughters we were making one last Disney trip so here we are, making one last Disney trip, but wishing that our visit back in 2019 was "The Last One".

We've compromised by doing only 3 days at Disney instead of an entire week - one day each at MK, EP & HS. Plan was to stay off-site but the cost savings aren't so great as to negate the convenience of being within walking distance of EP & HS. This trip seems like it's going to be so stressful, we decided it was worth the money to eliminate at least this one stressor. We're also not doing anything character-related and have made a list of most desired rides - no attempting to do EVERYTHING.

Instead of a week at WDW, we're adding in 2 days at Universal. When I originally planned, I was thinking Universal first and then ending with our happy place. But now I'm considering flipping that due to Universal seeming to be much more relaxed than WDW now.

We're going in June and I usually hop back on the DISBoards about a year in advance to catch up what I've missed and to assist in my trip planning. I've been reluctant throughout the booking process and reading threads both on here and FB have added to my pre-trip regret, but we promised our daughters we were making one last Disney trip so here we are, making one last Disney trip, but wishing that our visit back in 2019 was "The Last One".

We've compromised by doing only 3 days at Disney instead of an entire week - one day each at MK, EP & HS. Plan was to stay off-site but the cost savings aren't so great as to negate the convenience of being within walking distance of EP & HS. This trip seems like it's going to be so stressful, we decided it was worth the money to eliminate at least this one stressor. We're also not doing anything character-related and have made a list of most desired rides - no attempting to do EVERYTHING.

Instead of a week at WDW, we're adding in 2 days at Universal. When I originally planned, I was thinking Universal first and then ending with our happy place. But now I'm considering flipping that due to Universal seeming to be much more relaxed than WDW now.
We are doing Universal after Disney as well. We never take the girls because they've been to little for most of the rides. With a 2 year hiatus, they're now tall enough. Plus, they are totally into Harry Potter!

We are doing Universal after Disney as well. We never take the girls because they've been to little for most of the rides. With a 2 year hiatus, they're now tall enough. Plus, they are totally into Harry Potter!
Harry Potter is amazing at Universal. We're excited to ride Hagrid's in a few months although my husband misses the Dueling Dragons (even after they stopped dueling) that used to be there in its place still it's supposed to be a great ride. It's a very well themed area. We like to sit in Hogsmeade outside on a bench having a beer and listening to the sounds pumped in and taking a break.

Have you taken a serious look at the posts out here on this board? I don't think folks have any problem voicing their gripes, and that's true since and also way before the pandemic. The truth is, it seems (and I'll emphasize this is my opinion) WAY easier for people to take the time to post negative stuff and vent than it is for people to take the time to post positive experiences. And that's not something I see just on Disney boards, but on most boards.

I agree there are a lot of posts voicing gripes here on the DIS. But with that said, I have been on these boards for a whole lot of years now and have seen a ton of threads on here about how great WDW is and how they had an out of body experience with pixie dust and magic just filling the air. Good for them. I'm thrilled, and I don't mean that sarcastically or snarky in any way. But there are just as many people who feel the opposite.

I started this thread, and I once was one of those who had nothing but praise for Disney. Not anymore. I have been in sales for many years and one of the things I have always taught my employees and sales reps is this, "Perception is reality. If you perceive Disney as the "they can do no wrong" that's a good thing, it's your experience. But for some like myself and as evidenced from this thread, the perception is that Disney is no longer that anymore for so many. I have posted many times here on the DIS about how great it was, from the resorts I have stayed at, the many restaurants I have been to, the many encounters with CM's, and the things that made Disney magical. I wish I could say I have the warm fuzzy feelings and excitement for WDW, but like I said when I started, I hate to be negative, but Disney has been slowly chipping away over the last few years and for me, I've sadly reached that place where WDW will no longer be my must do every year.

Now that we are back from our Disney / Legoland / Universal 12 day trip, I really wish we would have canceled. I really only have one complaint. All 3 resorts were awesome and even though WDW has disappointed me on our last trip, this trip it was amazing! Legoland is well, Legoland. My kids love it so I go with the flow. They have great food and a few really cool rides. Everything else is geared to the little ones which is great for them. UO, wow! That's all I can say. Now my one complaint, We checked out Sat the 8th. I was feeling worse and worse by the hour. Sunday I was a useless pile of human. I got a positive C-19 test today. Now I have to stay out of work another week and I feel like crap but not near as bad as I did in September when I had it bad. I would gladly trade the trip for my health. It's a hot mess at all the parks. Not one is doing any better than the other. Recordings say please stay 3 feet from the next party while the CM's, TM's and MC's say "Fill in all available space". I can only laugh because it hurts too much to cry lol.

Its funny because the pandemic brought us back to WDW. We were happily exploring the world prior to 2020.
Same. We used to do a longer international trip or cruise each year with our kids and then Disney every 18 months or so. We bought into DVC about 2.5 months before everything shut down with the idea that we would prepay for our Disney lodging and have some more room than what we had at the moderates. We fully intended to continue traveling internationally each year as our main trip.

The pandemic changed everything for us. We no longer feel comfortable taking the kids and traveling internationally; I don’t know when we will feel okay with that again. I’m definitely not comfortable with cruising right now with the kids either. Now, our only longer trips are to Disney and then we do smaller, driving distance long weekend or day trips.

Since the pandemic, we have done Disney in November 2020 for 8 nights, May 2021 for 9 nights, December 2021 to January 2022 for 8 nights, and are booked for November 2022 for 9 nights. Pre-pandemic, I would have laughed if anyone had told me that I would go to Disney any more frequently than every 1.5 years, never mind as often as we have recently. Would I go as often if we had to pay for a hotel and tickets? No. Would we still have gone at least once a year if we had to pay for a hotel and tickets? Yes, but we would have gone for 5-6 days each year instead.

I can go to the parks have fun, possibly get Covid. Or I could stay home... go about my life, and possibly get Covid. Guess which I will choose. Omicron is highly contagious, the risk is out there. But - its out there - everywhere, not just WDW. (Prior to Omicron, I knew 2 people personally that got Covid ...since Omicron, I've lost count)

I can go to the parks have fun, possibly get Covid. Or I could stay home... go about my life, and possibly get Covid. Guess which I will choose. Omicron is highly contagious, the risk is out there. But - its out there - everywhere, not just WDW. (Prior to Omicron, I knew 2 people personally that got Covid ...since Omicron, I've lost count)

My only concern with Omicron is that it will ruin our trip. That we will get there, and I'll get sick on like the second day of our two-week trip. DH and DD are likelier to bounce back immediately. We are driving and rented a condo, so we are good there.

If they want to reply, they will. I've written twice -- once I got a generic response, the other a got a phone call. It helps if you have a specific thing you are asking for -- either some sort of refund or discount on future trips or the like. If you're just complaining, they don't have anything to respond to.

If you want to make sure you talk to someone, you'll probably need to call.
I’m not settling for “oh well, they didn’t reply.” I did make specific complaints and requests. I’d like to send it to another address to see if anyone else will listen. I don’t WANT to spend 3:40 on the phone waiting for someone to speak with (like I had to do before my trip), but if you have a specific recommendation of a number to call, I will try it. Thank you!

Same. We used to do a longer international trip or cruise each year with our kids and then Disney every 18 months or so. We bought into DVC about 2.5 months before everything shut down with the idea that we would prepay for our Disney lodging and have some more room than what we had at the moderates. We fully intended to continue traveling internationally each year as our main trip.

The pandemic changed everything for us. We no longer feel comfortable taking the kids and traveling internationally; I don’t know when we will feel okay with that again. I’m definitely not comfortable with cruising right now with the kids either. Now, our only longer trips are to Disney and then we do smaller, driving distance long weekend or day trips.

Since the pandemic, we have done Disney in November 2020 for 8 nights, May 2021 for 9 nights, December 2021 to January 2022 for 8 nights, and are booked for November 2022 for 9 nights. Pre-pandemic, I would have laughed if anyone had told me that I would go to Disney any more frequently than every 1.5 years, never mind as often as we have recently. Would I go as often if we had to pay for a hotel and tickets? No. Would we still have gone at least once a year if we had to pay for a hotel and tickets? Yes, but we would have gone for 5-6 days each year instead.
Pretty much us. August 2020 replaced Baltic cruise. January 2021 replaced Japan trip. April 2021 just because. We went to DL in August replaced Baltic cruise again. We were lucky to do a Bahamas cruise late August. No plans to go back to WDW until end of 2022 that’s of course if we don’t cancel our Baltic cruise again. If you would have told me in 2019 I was going to go to WDW three times in less than a year I would have said your nuts.
We got some great discounts though. We stayed in a one bedroom at Riviera and Saratoga then Beach club our last trip. I’m glad we took advantage of it because I could never afford those accommodations at today’s prices.

I think, for us anyway, a big issue is that we have cut down on the number of days for our trips. When we’re only there for 4 nights and feel like we need to cram everything in to get our money’s worth, everything that goes wrong just seems amplified. Add 2 days of rain, bland food, long lines, down rides…you get the picture. If this Pre-Christmas trip had been our first, I doubt we would ever go back. But we know how great it CAN be. And will go back in a couple years. Because we love it. And I wonder how many of the people who said they were done waited in the VQ when the new discounts came out. 🙂

I agree with what you're saying. We were more apprehensive before heading there in early December, but we had a nice time. The magic of Disney at Christmas returned nicely for us. Certainly not the same since before Covid, but getting there......
We went to After Hours and really enjoyed the parade, fireworks and lower crowds.

I was due to check in next Monday, and cancelled yesterday. Between Omicron, merch and food supply issues, and the fact that my phone is too old to support even the free version of Genie (I will be getting a new phone, but the one I want will be released later this year) I just wasn’t feeling this trip. I may do a day trip to see my favorite artist at Epcot, but otherwise, I don’t know when I will go back. Probably before my current AP expires in late May, but maybe not.

Good for you! Speaking as a financial counselor, the average family doesn't have $9K to spend on a vacation, especially when there are hundreds of alternative spots for a fraction of the cost and no need to spend that astronomical amount. You will still smile, laugh, enjoy good food, sleep in a good bed, sing, dance, experience thrills, and go home with thousands still in your possession to go towards college, your retirement, unexpected bills.

There was a day coming when Disney went too far. I hope that day has come. If it keeps going at this rate, a trip to disney for a family of four will be $20,000. Only the wealthy can afford that.

If that's their plan, so be it. Dollywood is ready when you are. I went in April and had a ball and spent very little.
that's what our trip for our family of 4 is costing / perhaps a bit higher actually ($20K is just our cruise, 2 days Disney and 4 days Universal, no food factored in yet. ) but we are not wealthy, just all 4 of us have been saving hard for 2 years. It doesn't help that being Canadian with the exchange rate, add a extra 30-40 percent onto that

We much prefer Universal to WDW (easy walk to parks from resorts... less crowded... express pass... cheaper dining... less dodging of strollers... fewer toddlers and babies... geared more towards older park goers...better thrill rides...Harry Potter v Star Wars? No contest, boy wizard rules...affordable hotels...HHN...way more relaxing and, dare I say it, "magical"). We are not show, character or parade people. Nevertheless, WDW has always featured in our trips to Florida because WDW is fun too. Just not as fun as Universal 😁. We typically spend four days at WDW (one park per day), usually staying at a Universal resort or renting a house off-site when the trip includes extended family or friends. There are only two things drawing me back to WDW (Rise and Guardians) but I am not prepared to spend hours in a standby line to ride either of them. Nor will I pay the outrageous cost of a Disney hotel to have a better shot at paying even more to secure a ride time. I doubt we'll ever go back.
what ride is guardians?? I did Guardians in Disney Land (WDW version of TOT), is TOT becoming Guardians in WDW too?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter