• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

New goal, new me, new excitement!Angie's journal w/Charlo's notes(Motivators welcome)

This morning I got up early and headed to the gym! I was surprised at how much busier it was on Wednesday vs. a Tuesday or Thursday. Anyway, I decided to re-do my last work out since I wimped out a bit on the run times. So, here is the C25K plan:

Walk 5 mins
Jog 8 mins
Walk 5 mins
Jog 8 mins

So, I'm happy to report that I was able to finish both 8 minute sessions this time, and I decided to add another 5 minute run towards the end of my 45 minute run. Yay!!! My distance was even a bit further...2.80 miles in 45 minutes (include the warm up and cool down). :dance3:

I hope yall are having a wonderful and blessed day!!!!:hippie:

This morning Scott and I headed to the local college to run outside. Boy how different it is to run outside vs. on the treadmill. I was able to finish a lap which ended up running for 12 minutes...the longest I've ever run at one time. I had to stop at the Jeep and get some water though. I hate it when I don't drink enough water the day before and pay for it the next morning. Lesson learned here though...I've got to stay extra hydrated for myself all the time. Also, we have decided to run outside from now until the 5k race. It's on October 1st, so we still have about a month to go. Anyway, we walked for 5 minutes and ran for the remainder of the lap. Then we walked for another 4-5 minutes and ran some more. We walked a third lap just to equal 3 miles. My legs were a bit tired after this run, so I really need to work on that too. I also got a cramp in the middle of my first lap, but I was able to continue running and work through it...yay!!! I will officially weigh in on Tuesday, so hopefully there will be some change on the scale. I've been holding steady for a while around the same numbers...anywhere from 197-200lbs. I just can't seem to get below that number for some reason. I will be working on the eating side and portion side again too. I'm doing all this hard work, I need to fuel my body.

This morning Scott and I headed to the local college to run outside. Boy how different it is to run outside vs. on the treadmill. I was able to finish a lap which ended up running for 12 minutes...the longest I've ever run at one time. I had to stop at the Jeep and get some water though. I hate it when I don't drink enough water the day before and pay for it the next morning. Lesson learned here though...I've got to stay extra hydrated for myself all the time. Also, we have decided to run outside from now until the 5k race. It's on October 1st, so we still have about a month to go. Anyway, we walked for 5 minutes and ran for the remainder of the lap. Then we walked for another 4-5 minutes and ran some more. We walked a third lap just to equal 3 miles. My legs were a bit tired after this run, so I really need to work on that too. I also got a cramp in the middle of my first lap, but I was able to continue running and work through it...yay!!! I will officially weigh in on Tuesday, so hopefully there will be some change on the scale. I've been holding steady for a while around the same numbers...anywhere from 197-200lbs. I just can't seem to get below that number for some reason. I will be working on the eating side and portion side again too. I'm doing all this hard work, I need to fuel my body.

Hey there-- I was so happy to catch up with your progress. I am SO IMPRESSED with your commitment. And your boyfriend is so supportive of your goals, out there running with ya! My poor BF... my ugliest moments are definitely when I'm running and tired and frustrated at very very tiny things. I wanted him to either run on ahead at his own speed, or run WITH me (i.e. not faster than me and pushing me to go faster). So I made him follow the "see my butt" rule-- if you can't see my butt, you're running too fast!!! :rotfl:

In terms of your plateau--esp. while training--man, I have BEEN THERE. Last year when I trained for the half marathon, I was working SO HARD. I didn't weigh myself the whole time, and I weighed in the day that I did the race. And I was like-- wait, what? 176? I was 175 four months ago!!! And some of that is, OF COURSE, the old adage that muscle is heavier than fat, but still. For all that work, I wasn't losing weight.

I really, really believe that tracking your calories and planning the calories you're going to eat over the course of the day WORKS. I was so resistant to this for SO long, but I've already lost over 10 pounds over the course of about 6 weeks just from making that change. I have been so surprised how predictable the weight loss has been, and I feel so confident it's going to continue at the same rate.

I think the thing is that when you work out, you are hungrier and more food feels like the right amount of food. And of course you DO need more food, but (for a lot of people, myself included, I guess) not as much as your body tells you that you need. So consider tracking your calories, even if it is a pain. If it feels like you're not fueling enough you could save some higher-calorie fruits like bananas or grapes for your pre-run snack, and then save some of your higher-protein/lower-calorie snacks (like hard-boiled eggs or Greek yogurt) for right afterwards.

Also, man, it sounds like you're killing it... Running 12 minutes at once is a lot of progress. Can you link me to this training plan you're using??? I'm so inspired, and might want to do a 5k myself sometime this fall!!!

I also love the format that you use with your short term goals!! I think I will need to do some of that... hmm......

Best of luck, can't wait to read more!!!
Samantha

Hey there-- I was so happy to catch up with your progress. I am SO IMPRESSED with your commitment. And your boyfriend is so supportive of your goals, out there running with ya! My poor BF... my ugliest moments are definitely when I'm running and tired and frustrated at very very tiny things. I wanted him to either run on ahead at his own speed, or run WITH me (i.e. not faster than me and pushing me to go faster). So I made him follow the "see my butt" rule-- if you can't see my butt, you're running too fast!!! :rotfl:

In terms of your plateau--esp. while training--man, I have BEEN THERE. Last year when I trained for the half marathon, I was working SO HARD. I didn't weigh myself the whole time, and I weighed in the day that I did the race. And I was like-- wait, what? 176? I was 175 four months ago!!! And some of that is, OF COURSE, the old adage that muscle is heavier than fat, but still. For all that work, I wasn't losing weight.

I really, really believe that tracking your calories and planning the calories you're going to eat over the course of the day WORKS. I was so resistant to this for SO long, but I've already lost over 10 pounds over the course of about 6 weeks just from making that change. I have been so surprised how predictable the weight loss has been, and I feel so confident it's going to continue at the same rate.

I think the thing is that when you work out, you are hungrier and more food feels like the right amount of food. And of course you DO need more food, but (for a lot of people, myself included, I guess) not as much as your body tells you that you need. So consider tracking your calories, even if it is a pain. If it feels like you're not fueling enough you could save some higher-calorie fruits like bananas or grapes for your pre-run snack, and then save some of your higher-protein/lower-calorie snacks (like hard-boiled eggs or Greek yogurt) for right afterwards.

Also, man, it sounds like you're killing it... Running 12 minutes at once is a lot of progress. Can you link me to this training plan you're using??? I'm so inspired, and might want to do a 5k myself sometime this fall!!!

I also love the format that you use with your short term goals!! I think I will need to do some of that... hmm......

Best of luck, can't wait to read more!!!
Samantha

Hey there, I'm so sorry, I haven't updated in a while! I am still so excited to "meet" you and get to know you a bit! :) I will post a picture or two of my kitty cats and all. I was thinking that I might post somepictures of my past trips too. It might be enough to get me back in the mood.

I'm struggling right now with my running...in fact both Scott and I are. Running outside is so much harder than running on the treadmill. :( I think we are going to head back to the gym and redo week 5 again. Then, maybe try week 5 outside again. I know part of the reason is because we haven't stayed committed to the program schedule. Oh, you asked about the C25K! It's the Couch to 5K program. You can find all of the information at coolrunnings.com. They also have a facebook page with a lot of great information.

I'm thinking that I may have something going on with my hormones or thyroid or something. I'm having hot flashes one second and freezing to death the next second. I'm only 31, and shouldn't have hot flashes yet...right? I have a doctor's appointment at the end of this month to see what's going on.

I will do another update soon! :)

I will post a picture or two of my kitty cats and all. I was thinking that I might post somepictures of my past trips too. It might be enough to get me back in the mood.
Oh yay! It's good to focus on the important stuff. ;)

I'm struggling right now with my running...in fact both Scott and I are. Running outside is so much harder than running on the treadmill. :( I think we are going to head back to the gym and redo week 5 again. Then, maybe try week 5 outside again. I know part of the reason is because we haven't stayed committed to the program schedule. Oh, you asked about the C25K! It's the Couch to 5K program. You can find all of the information at coolrunnings.com. They also have a facebook page with a lot of great information.

Sorry you've been struggling... the transition off of the treadmill was really hard from what I remember. I remember that my strides were pretty choppy at first, and that my legs felt really heavy. Good idea to redo the weeks you're struggling with until you can start to keep up with the schedule. It would be so easy to get discouraged and give up (which I've done!!! now, now, even now... :guilty:), and I'm so glad you haven't!! I will definitely check out the C25K program, thanks for the info!

I'm thinking that I may have something going on with my hormones or thyroid or something. I'm having hot flashes one second and freezing to death the next second. I'm only 31, and shouldn't have hot flashes yet...right? I have a doctor's appointment at the end of this month to see what's going on.

I will do another update soon! :)

:( Oh no! I hope everything is okay, and I'm glad you're going to the Dr.

I'm so happy you got a chance to check in! Looking forward to talking more!

Samantha

Well, it has been a while since I have posted on here...and sadly that means it has been a while since I have gotten out and exervised or run. Here are a couple of things that have happened since my last update. I went to the doctor and found out that my thyroid is a little low, so they have put me on some meds to see if it will help. I think it has helped a little bit. I got back on monday to get my blood retested, so we will see what that says. Scott and I went on a little vacation. It was so nice. We went to Pennsylvania. We visited the following cities: Gettysburg (AMAZING), Hershey (YUMMY), Philadelphia (several days here-interesting), and Atlantic City (fun). We had an awesome time. AND, with all that we ate and such, I managed to NOT gain a single pound while on vacation. I'm so exicted about that. We both took workout clothes but never used them. :( But, we had a great time!!!

So, now we are back on it. Last night, we went to the gym. I walked on the treadmill for 50 minutes (6 of those minutes were spent running). It is amazing how quickly you lose the lung capacity that you had gained. Oh well, I'll just have to get it back. We then went to the weights and worked on legs for a while.

treadmill (50 minutes, ran for 6)
leg presses (3 sets of 8 with 90 pounds)
stiff legged dead lifts (3 sets of 8 with 25 pounds)
lunges (2 sets of 8, no weight)
calf raises (2 sets of 12, no weight)

I am sore today...from the waist down! Woo who!

Welcome back Angie! Don't worry about the stopping and the starting but the main thing is that you are back! Hopefully those tyroid meds will help keep your body back on track and GREAT job going on vacation and not gaining! Now that is impressive!

Ok, I have fallen off the wagon and have been dragging along behind it. :( I am almost back up to my highest weight of 215.

On 1/1/12 I weighed in at 212 on my scale at home. :scared1: I have just let myself go during these last two months of the year. I did great on vacaation in October, but have since fallen off of everything good for me. I haven't exercised or been eating right lately. It's not good! :(

So, I'm back on. I have been reading about the marathons and 1/2 marathons at Disney World and have plans of doing either the Princess or the WDW 1/2 marathon in 2013. My precious aunt has gotten me excited about running at WDW again.

Here are my plans for today...go to the gym, do at least an hour of cardio (walking on the treadmill) and maybe look at the new equipment my gym got during the Christmas Holiday. I am also going to write out a plan for the meals that I plan on making at home this week and going to the store and getting them. My boyfriend has been in Nebraska for 10 days (he's the cook in the family), so I'm hoping to surprise him with a nice meal when he gets home. I have been cleaning off and on while he's been gone, but I haven't done near the amount that I should have been. I have gotten very lazy (obviously) during these last two months. So, it is time that I do something different. :0)

I hope everyone had a blessed Christmas and Thanksgiving with their families and friends. This Christmas was the best we have had since my mom passed. We had lots of family around and had lots of kids there to watch open their gifts. It was a great memory.

:dance3: I'm putting the dancing smileys here to end on a happy note. I hope to write in my journal every day and report on what my plans are for each day and how it went yesterday.

Wow, I just went back to the first post of my journal with was 1/11/11 (a year ago) and sadly, my goals are EXACTLY THE SAME as last years. That's not good. Here they are (copied fro the first post):
Short Term:
1) Get below 200 lbs before the end of January
2) Get into a size 14 by February
3) Workout 4 days this week:
4) Eat healthier this week
5) Decide not to eat out a couple of times this week

Long Term:
1) Get to down 140ish
2) Get into a size 8
3) Workout on a regualr basis and make it a routine (enjoy it)
4) Learn to love healthier foods and share them with others
5) Cook at home for every meal except one night a week
6) Prepare for a marathon at Disney World

Wow, I think it is good for me to see that NOTHING HAS CHANGED in a year!!! Normally, I look back on the year and think that I've done really good that year...and I did do really good during the year. BUT, how good is it really if I start each year at the same point. Anyway, I hope this will be a good rememinder to myself that only I can make the changes needed for long term success. Success is good but it will be GREAT in the long term. Sorry for all of the caps, but I am a little angry at myself. More to come, I'm sure!!!

Hi Angie,

Just wanted to send some encouragement! I saw your post on the 2012 photo thread.

I started C25K in March of 2011, and I finished the Princess Half this year. I am quite slow, and I walked more than ran, but I did it, and I'm betting you can too! I did my first 5K in May, and then 10Ks in July and October, then the Princess in Feb. It was nice to have those increasing distances to aim for--like your short-term and long-term goals.

It has been hard watching others just zoom into a 30 minute 5K when after a year I still haven't broken a 40 minute 5K, despite finishing a half marathon, but hey, I'm still lapping everyone on the couch. I'm doing c25k again to work on more continuous running (my half training included a LOT of walking), so I'm in it (virtually) with you.

Looking forward to your 2013 race report! Maybe I'll see you there!

Cate

Angie, just wanted to add my support. Hope your weekend went well.

~Kathy

Hi Angie,

Just wanted to send some encouragement! I saw your post on the 2012 photo thread.

I started C25K in March of 2011, and I finished the Princess Half this year. I am quite slow, and I walked more than ran, but I did it, and I'm betting you can too! I did my first 5K in May, and then 10Ks in July and October, then the Princess in Feb. It was nice to have those increasing distances to aim for--like your short-term and long-term goals.

It has been hard watching others just zoom into a 30 minute 5K when after a year I still haven't broken a 40 minute 5K, despite finishing a half marathon, but hey, I'm still lapping everyone on the couch. I'm doing c25k again to work on more continuous running (my half training included a LOT of walking), so I'm in it (virtually) with you.

Looking forward to your 2013 race report! Maybe I'll see you there!

Cate

Thank you both so much for the support!!! :hug: I really needed a "Mom's" support, yall don't know how much I appreciate both of yall. I am struggling, struggling big time. I just can't seem to get motivated to get moving. You'd think the loss of my Mom and seeing her battle cancer would be enough to push me forward...but it hasn't. You'd also think the thought of wanting to feel better (about myself and just in general) would be enough to kick start me again, but it hasn't. I'm hoping the thought of running the Princess 1/2 next year will get me back on board. I keep seeing pictures and reports of it and it looks like an AMAZING race and something I totally want to do so bad.

I just bought a cheap RunDsiney shirt (cheap because it has last year's date on it) but I don't care...I just need something to get me excited about it again.

Again, thank you again for the support and for "listening" to me rant! It's over now...I've GOT to do this!!! Thanks again Mamas!!! :lovestruc

Ok, so I had a stern talking to myself and have decided to get back on board with this whole health thing. :) So, here is my plan of action...each weekend plan meals for each day of the week (dinner) as well as two snacks each day. I am also going to start the C25K program again and on my non walk/run days, do something else in the exercise arena. So, here is how my week is laid out for exercise:
Monday - Rest day (busiest day at work)
Tuesday - C25K (gym)
Wednesday - Walk on treadmill for 20 minutes, then focus on biceps, triceps, chest, and back
Thursday - C25K (gym)
Friday - Walk on treadmill for 20 minutes, then focus on abs and shoulders
Saturday - C25K (outside)
Sunday - Walk on treadmill for 20 minutes, then focus on legs and lower body

So, I started this on April 1st (yesterday) and I ended up working on the eliptical machine that my Dad and Dianne gave us for 30 minutes. I went 5.43 miles. Then, I pulled some weeds so we will count that as lower body work for sure. My legs were buring by the end of the 30 minutes.

TODAY: Tonight, we will cut up all of the vegetables for our taco salads and clean the fruit Scott bought at the store last night. I've had a bagel and cream cheese for breakfast and have an apple planned for a snack. We didn't get the grapes cleaned, so I didn't bring a second snack for the day. Maybe I will get one at lunch time. :)

Let's take a look at my goals...long term and short term:

Short Term
1) Eat meals at home each day this week (except one night): we bought all the food, so let's hope we do it
2) Work out each night as planned or at least do SOMETHING each night: so far so good - elipical at home, 30 minutes, 5.43 miles
3) Eat two snacks a day this week: eating an apple now

Mid Term
1) Lose ten pounds this month (kind of a hefty goal, but I hope I can do it): this morning my scale at home said 213.4
2) Get into smaller pants size by May: currently barely squeezing into my size 16s

Long Term
1) Run the Cross Roads 5k in October 2012
2) Run Disney Princess Half in February 2013
3) Learn to enjoy exercising
4) Learn to enjoy eating healthy foods
5) Learn to love the way I will feel when I am healthier :lovestruc
6) Get down to a healthy goal weight of 145 or so. I'm a short girl, so that may even be too much...we will see.

I hope everyone has a blessed day. I'm trying to remember to be thankful for everything around me...my family, my kitty cats, my friends, my co-workers, my job, and so much more. Happy Monday!!!!

Last night Scott and I went to the college to do 3 rounds (which equals three miles). We walked the first round just fine...it was really windy but nice. He is quite a bit taller than me (I'm 5'4 and he is 6'1), so I felt like I was almost running just to keep up with him. I decided I would try the C25k W1D1 on the second round. He walked the whole time. So, I started the jog for 60 seconds, walk for 90 seconds routine for the second round of our walk. I was able to finish it...woo who. And then we walked the third round. It was nice to fill like I accomplised something again. Today we have been pretty lazy (me DISing and him watching tv). But, we are planning on going to the gym and working on arms for a bit. Yay!!!

We had a pretty good week as far as the food area is concerened. We ate most nights at home this week. We didn't exercise though, so we still have a long way to go. But, you have to start (over) somewhere right?

Just thinking about the plan to run the Princess 1/2 and hoping I will keep up the training program since I have told so many folks that I'm doing it. ;)

I hope everyone is having a blessed Easter weekend. Let's remember the reason for this season too. I do miss my Momma during times like this. I can't help but think that we'd all be meeting up for a big family weekend if she were still here. But, looks like it will just be me and Scott this year. Again, I hope everyone is enjoying their weekend and time with their loved ones (if it works out).

Wow, 10 months and two days until the 2013 Princess Half Marathon and I'm not doing enough to get to that goal. I need to remind myself that this trip isn't just for me, my dear Aunt will be going with me to cheer me on and she can't wait for this trip either. We send emails about once a week or so dreaming about our trip to WDW. I cannot let her down as she needs/deserves this vacation as much or more than I do.

Yesterday at work, my dear friend walked into my office and asked me to walk with her. I first said no, I'm too busy. She pointed to the Princess Decal I have hanging in my office and said if you don't get started, you'll never get here. SHE IS SO RIGHT!!! We went down stairs and walked a mile during one of our "Smoke Breaks." Thanks Barbra, I needed to be reminded of my ultimate goal. :hug:

So, this morning I am feeling pretty good. Doing a little DISing and getting motivated for the day. I just need to be more active in everything I do. I'd like to get to the gym today, mow the yard, dishes, laundry, and pick up around the house a bit today. I am also going to try and get back to updating this journal at least every other day if not every day.

I hope everyone has a blessed Saturday!!!!

Just a quick update to get myself back in the habit of loggin on and updating this almost daily! So, I haven't actually done anything on the exercise side of things lately, but my eating has been going better lately. Yesterday, Scott and I went to hear Tim Tebow speak at a Christian concert. It was such an awsome message for kids and adults to hear. My favorite thing he said was a quote he took from someone that said, "I don't know what my future holds, but I DO know WHO holds my future. It was an awesome thing to hear. Then, I listened to Joel Osteen that night and he asked, "what have you been putting off for years now? And what are you going to do to change it? You don't want to live in a world or regrets." It was like he was talking directly to ME! I have been putting off making my life healthier in every way for so many years now, it is time for ME to do something about it. I don't want to have any regrets. My wonderful Mother passed away when she was 49 years old. None of know how much time we have on this earth, so I need to start living everyday in the now and stop procrastinating.

So, today I have already walked a mile in my morning "smoke break" with Barbra. I need to start doing this twice a day. I feel so much better and think so much clearer when I have walked. I also had a healthy lunch at Strawberry Fields with my boyfriend. We ate outside and it was so nice. I hope to walk this afternoon at work as well. I figure my health is worth me having to stay some extra time to make up that time if needed. I think I had kind of gotten things out of order in terms or real importance.

Anyway, I hope everyone has a great Monday. I plan to keep drinking my water and staying active. Too bad I forgot my pedometer today. :( Boo! Oh well, maybe I will remember it tomorrow. :)

Well, hm, so it has been a while again...and we all know what that means...it's been a while iin the exercising area too. But, I have been working out a little bit lately. I got an IPhone at work and have downloaded the myfitnesspal app...and LOVE IT SO MUCH! I can keep track of all of my food and exercise so easily...it love it. I have been to the gym a couple of time and walked on the treadmill for 60 minutes and ran for a minute every 5 minute internals. Last time I did this, I was able to get to 3.5 miles. That is the most I've done on the treadmill in a LONG time.

Today, B and I walked for 30 minutes at work and we lifted weights in her office for a bit. I used 10 pound weights. We did 2 sets of 10 of each of the following exercise: bicep curls, hammer curls, overhead extensions, bent over kick backs, bent over rows. We were both feeling it by the end of the session. :) It isn't much, but it is a start.

My brother and SIL are working out right now and looking so good. I am so proud of them. My dad is even getting into it. He called me yesterday morning to say that he walked two miles that morning and today he went and got himself some better shoes...yay!

I hope everyone has a great day. I am about to walk downstairs for 30 more minutes and might go to gym for more lifting tonight. I hope to get up and jog/walk tomorrow morning. :) I can do this...I have to do this!!!

Two update dates in a row...yay! Haha, celebrate the little things...right? :)

I just got back from walking for 30 minutes on the first floor at work. Today, we were able to complete 17 laps...which is just over 1.5 miles...woo who! We will also do some weights in our office in just a little bit. Again, it isn't much but it does add up....some day, it will add up.

Wow, two updates on the same day!!! :cool1:

I just got done jogging/walking on the treadmill for 60 minutes total. This time I ran for 1.5 minutes every 5 minutes. So, I tallied that up and I ended up running for a total of 15 minutes...woo who. My distance tonight was 3.58 miles. That is a little progress, so I am VERY EXCITED about it.

Kind of bummed though...couldn't wait to come home and share my workout results with Scott and he isn't here. He is at his sister's apartment. :( So, I figured, hey I'll come share it with strangers (if anyone is even reading this). ;)

Hope yall had a great day!!!

So, I almost don't want to admit this but it is an update. I let myself get back up to 215 again. :( Boo! But, I just checked the manual scale at my office and it said 212 this morning. Not great, but still better than 215!!! There is another scale in the office that is digital and it said 210...but I like the manual scale better because I can see the marker going further and further to the left each time (hopefully anyway).

HAPPY FRIDAY everyone...I hope you all have a great and blessed weekend.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter