New to WFH, are you working more or less?

godisney14

DIS Veteran
For those fortunate to work from home and new to the WFH, curious to know whether you are putting in more or less hours a week. (No one here will tell your boss :teeth:)

Would you like to continue some amount of WFH after life returns to normal?

I'm putting in the same hours. Several years ago, we had a forced telework that lasted 4 months. Back then, I found that I was working through lunch, staying on line just doing "one last thing" etc that was contributing to, at least, 10 hour days. After a time, it just wasn't good for me mentally. So this time I've decided from the beginning to keep a routine, get up and walk away at "quitting time," take my lunch and do some exercise, and so on.

My job has changed a lot since the last telework stint back in 2013 and since I'm in management now I do more "face to face" type of work: mentoring, advising, etc. Obviously I'm doing a lot less of that right now so I feel a little adrift but I am just changing the kinds of projects I'm taking on to more administrative tasks.

For years now, I have WFH two days a week, and gone into the office three days a week. In the current situation, I'm WFH full time now, but its really no difference for me. I generally work the same amount of hours that I do when I'm in the office. While WFH, I will occasionally log on a little early or stay on a little late. But I also will take a break to throw in laundry or let the dog out. When I'm in the office, I work more set hours, but will take breaks to walk to the cafeteria, restroom, chat with co-workers, etc. So the amount of time I actually spend working probably balances out.

WFH definitely has its benefits, but I do feel more productive when I get ready and go into the office, so I'd probably like to return to my normal schedule of 3 days a week in the office when this is over. I think that's a good mix. I also find that our VPN is slow, so its easier to save and work on larger files while on the office's network.

A little less only because they are limiting over time. I’ve been getting 1-2 hours of OT compared to my normal 4-6.

I never thought I’d be one to like working from home but I actually don’t mind it at all. I feel more relaxed and focused for some reason. I wouldn’t mind continuing to WFH but we were told before this even started that it’s very slim that would ever be an option for us. Maybe this will change things though.

Honestly I'm not sure. Our first WFH day I started on a new project so I have no idea how I would "normally" work on this particular job.

It comes in waves for me. I manage a procurement department, and while there's a lot less day-to-day purchasing going on, there are a variety of other issues that pop up during the day that can take up much of a day. Other days, it's been quiet and I don't have as much to do.

Working a lot more. Now that everyone has more time to focus without spending most days traveling everyone keeps coming up with projects they need help with. I can't wait to go back in the office full time. I am still going in a few days a week for a few hours to get mail.

I'm putting in the same hours, well maybe a little less--I don't do overtime any more. I'm definitely actually accomplishing a lot less--I will never take our office systems for granted again.

Less. Many aspects of my job are not happening right now while the courts only operate priority matters. In regular course of business I sometimes work from home or try to catch up on things at home after putting in a day in the office and my output is at or above days in the office.

I usually WFH one day per week. Now that I'm 100% WFH until at least April 30th, I find I'm putting in quite a bit more time. It's not intentional, but I still get up the same time and I find myself starting work when I would normally just be driving in. I also find I'm doing shorter lunches and generally working until my wife yells "are you coming down for dinner"? Overall, I'm happy that my company has transitioned to WFH full time very, very easily. I work for a large insurance company, I'm in IT, and 100% of employees are now remote with zero impact on business.

Less, there's stuff to do but it's a lot of busy work. I do make a point to take a real lunch break and even go outside for a walk on nice days.

I generally work from home a couple of days a month. But now that the whole organization is working remotely, it's like everyone's "working" to make sure leadership knows we're working, if that makes any sense.

It's been 2 weeks, and I barely have time to take a break to grab tea or a sandwich. It's nuts. I really hope that it will calm down some and everyone will settle in.

It depends on your company and the exact job you do. Working from home is great since there are fewer meetings that people always thought important, but generally accomplished very little. A few people like to hear themselves talk and would bla/bla/bla about nothing in an attempt to impress the boss......LOL. If you work a 'customer service/call center' type job, then obviously you can work from most anywhere and the pace of work depends on how many calls you get.

If your job is more administrative, regardless of your position in the company, the amount of work depends mostly on what others are asking you to do or how many projects you have underway.

Working from home helps to minimize the 'social butterfly' types who would show up at your office to chit/chat when they were bored and had nothing better to do.

It depends on your company and the exact job you do. Working from home is great since there are fewer meetings that people always thought important, but generally accomplished very little. A few people like to hear themselves talk and would bla/bla/bla about nothing in an attempt to impress the boss......LOL. If you work a 'customer service/call center' type job, then obviously you can work from most anywhere and the pace of work depends on how many calls you get.

If your job is more administrative, regardless of your position in the company, the amount of work depends mostly on what others are asking you to do or how many projects you have underway.

Working from home helps to minimize the 'social butterfly' types who would show up at your office to chit/chat when they were bored and had nothing better to do.
DH is still spending most of his day in meetings, like he typically does. Now they're all via phone or computer, instead. He's working more, since he isn't having to drive from meeting to meeting and what normally would be commute time is spent working.

Unfortunately, I can't say the same for his team, though. :sad2: Tip for others, if you're supposed to be working and reachable, don't go golfing and post it on Facebook.

Im putting in the same amount of time overall, just not necessarily during traditional business hours. Some times Im working at night. However, there is an expectation that you are more productive and that does not necessarily jive.

I expect to WFH through the end of the year. Some days I’m far more productive than others. I’m adapting.

Bit of both.
If it’s busy I find it’s hard to quit at quitting time. Normally I leave at 4 ad I have kid stuff to do and I don’t get paid OT.
Home its easier to stay on and work another 30 minutes.

Other thing I’m finding is if it’s quiet I get distracted with projects around home.
Like i go into kitchen for coffee and start doing dishes.

It comes in waves for me. I manage a procurement department, and while there's a lot less day-to-day purchasing going on, there are a variety of other issues that pop up during the day that can take up much of a day. Other days, it's been quiet and I don't have as much to do.
I'm an IT procurement manager and I've been working my butt off buying new infrastructure, telecom circuits and software/hardware for people to work remotely from around the globe.

Plus vendors are throwing big discounts right now to incent us to order from them. I'm taking advantage of those, too.

To answer the OP... I typically work from home at least once a week. I like going into the office where I have another monitor that is larger than the one on my laptop. I usually work more hours when I WFH. Now that I'm doing it daily, I find that I'm exhausted if I don't take a break or two throughout the day. I still work longer hours than when I'm in the office.

I feel like I'm working more. Or maybe just working later because I start later. It's hard to tell, to be honest.

Normally I'm at the office by 7:15. Now I"m not even getting up until 7:45 😍

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter