New Year, New Beginnings - January 2022 W.I.S.H thread

Didn't realize I hadn't signed in over the weekend, lots to catch up on. We usually get snow late in February, so I'm totally expecting more at some point.

This afternoon I get my first Invisalign fitted, can't say I'm really looking forward to it. My Niece was saying the first few days she was really sore, and then there's the learning to talk with them in your mouth. Another thing I'll need to figure out is that I am almost always sucking on a cough drop when I'm in public, because I get a dry throat breathing thru the mask, so not sure how that is going to work with them in. But it will be great to have my bite corrected, so I'll just have to keep my eyes on the prize.

So my motivation this week is getting used to the braces and using this disruptive change to shake things up and get back on track. I need to get conditioning into my legs and feet prior to vacation the end of the month, and that has to start now.

I am feeling so much better since I got my eating under control. It took me about 2 weeks to get the desire for snacking to pass and stop mindless grazing. So now I am on a good track and don’t want to lose momentum.
It’s a sunny 30 degrees so after lunch I will bundle up and get out for some fresh air. Then plan meals-tonight is meatless so I’m thinking eggs.

We booked our hotel for WDW over Christmas break!!! So excited. Not sure about the dates, but at least I have something definite planned! ::MickeyMo

Drove down the highway yesterday for an hour to go to our favorite bakery for lunch and then a treat. So yummy. Now I need to not eat the rest of the week to make up for those calories! :scared: I had extra carrots with dinner. Does that count? :lmao:

I was just thinking about this last night!
I do find it harder-comfort foods call to me and I struggle with portions. In the warmer months I am outside a lot-yard work, walking to the grocery store from our beach house and we grill outside almost every night.
So I’m going to make a big pot of vegetable soup for lunches, bought low sugar hot chocolate and make an effort to get out every day.

I find it harder to get outside and walk during the dark damp winter months. This year I have some really nice coats to cover just about any condition, so I should take inspiration from the Norwegian saying "there's no bad weather, only bad clothes", and get out anyway.

Food wise I want warm cooked food during the winter and eat less fresh. And I do suffer from SAD, how can anyone living this far north not? I need to get one of the SAD lights for the office. At least the way I currently have my office set up I am facing a window so I do get to see the blue skies and sun, if they are out.

I was feeling more energetic yesterday, but this morning I am tired again, even tho I slept well. I think it might be burnout and probably isn't going to get better until I have time off. It looks like the timeline of my current project is going to be extended by a couple weeks, I'll know for sure on Thursday. And if it is I'm going to add a couple more days to my vacation, one on the front end and one on the back, so that I have enough time to really reset.

Typically I do better in the winter, as long as I am on a treadmill in the house (or in the past at the gym). It is harder for me in the warmer months because of the kids activities. I spend more time running them around.

This year though and I have not done good since July. I have had times were I was doing better but something has gotten me of track each time. DD has me in spiraling right now. By the time I get home from work (or off of work) I am mentally exhausted. She is still dizzy. We saw the cardiologist yesterday and she is convinced that this is something from the virus and that she has seen lots of kids with this lately. Mostly from Covid. Though she does not think DD had Covid. She did put her on a new medicine to help. We started that this morning. I got a text at 7:45 that her legs were going numb and by 9 it had moved up to her waist. DH picked her up from school so she is at least at home. I called the cardiologist and they do not think it is the new meds and had me call the pediatrician. I have a call into them and just waiting to hear back. I just want her better. But no one seems to know what is wrong yet. We are just checking off boxes until we find what it is. I do think some of today's issues is anxiety and she just does not realize it. She has to have some anxiety about not knowing why she is dizzy. I think anyone would. She says though that she is not worried about it. So don't know. I just need to keep pushing forward and not show her how worried I am. I don't mind her seeing me concerned but not the crying, not eating, sick to my stomach, and completely overwhelmed worry.

Typically I do better in the winter, as long as I am on a treadmill in the house (or in the past at the gym). It is harder for me in the warmer months because of the kids activities. I spend more time running them around.

This year though and I have not done good since July. I have had times were I was doing better but something has gotten me of track each time. DD has me in spiraling right now. By the time I get home from work (or off of work) I am mentally exhausted. She is still dizzy. We saw the cardiologist yesterday and she is convinced that this is something from the virus and that she has seen lots of kids with this lately. Mostly from Covid. Though she does not think DD had Covid. She did put her on a new medicine to help. We started that this morning. I got a text at 7:45 that her legs were going numb and by 9 it had moved up to her waist. DH picked her up from school so she is at least at home. I called the cardiologist and they do not think it is the new meds and had me call the pediatrician. I have a call into them and just waiting to hear back. I just want her better. But no one seems to know what is wrong yet. We are just checking off boxes until we find what it is. I do think some of today's issues is anxiety and she just does not realize it. She has to have some anxiety about not knowing why she is dizzy. I think anyone would. She says though that she is not worried about it. So don't know. I just need to keep pushing forward and not show her how worried I am. I don't mind her seeing me concerned but not the crying, not eating, sick to my stomach, and completely overwhelmed worry.
I'm really sorry that you're family is going through this. I hope you find out what is going on with her soon so that you can focus on solutions and healing.

In winter, I just want to hibernate in my house and eat ALL of the comfort foods. I definitely have some mild form of SAD, but I manage it pretty well. The majority of my DH's family relocated to Arizona because they all suffered from it.

I really blew it over Christmas, basically because I was upset about not being with my extended family due to covid. I got so uncomfortable in my own body that I didn't even wait until New Year's Day to join NOOM. I joined on December 27th and hit the ground running. I have basically been a saint for a solid month, and then this weekend with the relentless snow and frigid temperatures, I overindulged a little on chili and Bob's Red Mill corn bread. No real damage done, and now I'm back at it. Having the treadmill helps me tremendously.

I can't wait for summer obviously. I feel hopeful with the increasing light:sunny:and knowing that February is a short month. Before we know it, spring will arrive, and this dark period will be over.

Thanks everyone. The pediatrician is having us to go Neurology. The appointment is not have 2 weeks though. They tried to tell me they didn't have an appointment until May. She is still walking so there is some feeling in her legs. The doctor said as long as she can walk we can wait to see the Neuro. If she can't walk then we have to go to the ER. So for right now we just wait. She is trying to fight through though. We did reach out to her therapist to see if there is anything there that we can do to help. Just waiting to hear back. I know she has to be worried. I feel better now that I home. I couldn't eat all day. I wasn't hungry and felt sick.

I stayed late at work tonight so I could leave tomorrow early to miss the freezing rain. It will be a mess tomorrow night. We are supposed to start the day in the 40's and rain. Around 5 we will switch to freezing rain and then snow after. They are predicting that we will get anywhere from 9-14 inches of snow but that keeps changing. The kids will at least be off on Thursday and maybe Friday. I am sure that I will be working from home on Thursday too so I will just hibernate for the next few days.

Hope you get some answers soon.

Topic Tuesday question. - Do you find it harder to stick to diet and exercise routines in the winter months? And what do you do to stay on track?

Answering my own question - I definitely find it harder. I overeat when I'm bored or tired, and both of those things are happening more lately amid the mountains of snow and early sunsets.

I do cling to my routine in the evenings to make me at least walk on the treadmill for a bit.

Workout routine stays the same all year except July when I'm on vacation. In the warmer months there's more outdoor time so am more active. Foodwise I suppose we eat a bit "lighter" in warmer weather. Nobody really wants chili when it's 90 degrees!

I am going to woohoo the small things today. DD is at school, seemed a bit more happy/perky this morning, and I have not heard from her yet. Small victories.

It also looks like we may not get as much snow. Anywhere between 6-14 inches now. Also, the freezing rain will hold off until later tonight and looks like it won't stay long for us before switching to snow. I am still guessing no school tomorrow and a work from home day for me. So woohoo to this too.

Woohoo... Christmas is finally over, as my Sister and her GF stopped by yesterday to exchange gifts.

Woohoo... the Invisalign are proving to be very easy to adjust to. I think he starts with pretty subtle changes because I'm not sore. Yesterday my Chiropractor adjusted my jaw which I think is going to be nice to do while teeth are moving.

Woohoo... vacation clothing I've ordered is starting to get delivered, and so far everything is OK except for the shorts, which are going to go back. This morning when I was waking up going on vacation felt surreal, like something from my dreams, and I had to remind myself that yes, at the end of February I am getting on a plane and going somewhere. Just for fun.

Thinking about goals for February, I think I'll go with:

Walking at least 5000 steps per day... doesn't seem like a lot but I haven't been anywhere near that and really need to get into better walking shape for vacation.

Losing at least 4 pounds, just to feel a little better.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter