News Round Up 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
When/where was Lou shown? Was it for Cars 3? I really wish we had gotten a Pixar short instead of the Frozen short for CoCo.

yes, it was for Cars 3. I thought it was a good short and had a good message (it was around bullying and why someone might be a bully, etc.) but not my favorite of the Pixar shorts.

Notification to Walt Disney Co. shareholders of the upcoming annual meeting:

"The 2018 Annual Meeting of shareholders of The Walt Disney Company will be held at the Hobby Center for the Performing Arts, 800 Bagby Street, Houston, Texas 77002, on Thursday, March 8, 2018, beginning at 10:00 a.m.

Shareholders of record of Disney common stock (NYSE: DIS) at the close of business on January 8, 2018, are entitled to vote at the meeting and any postponements or adjournments of the meeting. The items of business and the recommendations of the Board of Directors are described in the proxy materials. "

. . . . .and in case anyone's interested, the 2017 annual report to shareholders: https://ditm-twdc-us.storage.googleapis.com/2017-Annual-Report.pdf

As the highlights from the Proxy (if anyone interested):

Items of business:
1. Election of the ten nominees named in the proxy statement as Directors, each for a term of one year.
2. Ratification of the appointment of PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP as the Company’s independent registered public accountants for fiscal 2018.
3. Approval of material terms of performance goals under the Amended and Restated 2002 Executive Performance Plan.
4. Consideration of an advisory vote to approve executive compensation.
5. Consideration of up to two shareholder proposals, if presented.

The "two shareholder proposals" are:
  • Shareholder proposal requesting an annual report disclosing information regarding the Company’s lobbying policies and activities
  • Shareholder proposal requesting the Board amend the Company’s Bylaws relating to proxy access to increase the number of permitted nominees, remove the limit on aggregating shares to meet the shareholding requirement
=> the board is advising to vote against both of these

I love proxy statements as they get into how executives are compensated. If anyone is interested, Iger is judged on:

(a) 70% dependent on achievement of performance against four financial measures (segment operating income, adjusted EPS, after-tax free cash flow, and return on invested capital), all of which the Compensation Committee believes drive long-term shareholder value creation; and
(b) 30% dependent on the Compensation Committee’s assessment of individual contributions toward achievement of qualitative goals tied to the Company’s strategic priorities.

His annual equity award "depends on the performance of Disney stock and the realized performance-unit value depends on three-year achievement of relative TSR and EPS performance."

... so if you ever wonder what drives his decisions, there ya go

News

The 2018 Oscar Award nominees have just been announced and we’re happy to share that several Disney and Pixar films have received nominations!

Best Animated Feature Film: Disney Pixar’s Coco

Original Song: Remember Me ~ Disney Pixar’s Coco

Visual Effects: Star Wars: The Last Jedi, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

Original Score: Star Wars: The Last Jedi

Best Animated Short Film: Disney Pixar’s Lou

Sound Mixing: Star Wars: The Last Jedi

Sound Editing: Star Wars: The Last Jedi

Costume Design: Beauty and the Beast

Production Design: Beauty and the Beast

The 2018 Oscar Awards will once again be hosted by Jimmy Kimmel and will air live on ABC on Sunday, March 4, 2018.

http://www.wdwinfo.com/news-stories...ms-have-been-nominated-for-2018-oscar-awards/
Production Design and Costume Design...I think Beauty and the Beast has a shot, but if it does win, I think Costume Design will be the oscar for this film.

Sound Editing, Sound Mixing, Original Score, and Visual Effects...I don't think Star Wars stands a chance in most of these since I think a film that I saw many times will beat it out. That is Dunkirk (not saying it will win the awards it is nominated for along with Star Wars, but I loved the score, the mixing, and the editing in that film a lot). The only chance I can see Star Wars winning is Visual Effects. I never saw GotG V.2 to really give it a possible look into Visual Effects.

Animated Film and Original Song...I can see Coco winning the Animated Film, but I have been addicted to The Greatest Showman (which i think should be nominated for more awards than just the song) soundtrack lately so I don't know if "Remember Me" will get the title of Best Original Song. Remember Me is easily my 2nd favorite song on that list though and definitely has a shot.

Best Animated Short...I really liked Lou so I hope that wins. Glad to see that something involved with the Cars 3 release was given a look.

Production Design and Costume Design...I think Beauty and the Beast has a shot, but if it does win, I think Costume Design will be the oscar for this film.

Sound Editing, Sound Mixing, Original Score, and Visual Effects...I don't think Star Wars stands a chance in most of these since I think a film that I saw many times will beat it out. That is Dunkirk (not saying it will win the awards it is nominated for along with Star Wars, but I loved the score, the mixing, and the editing in that film a lot). The only chance I can see Star Wars winning is Visual Effects. I never saw GotG V.2 to really give it a possible look into Visual Effects.

Animated Film and Original Song...I can see Coco winning the Animated Film, but I have been addicted to The Greatest Showman (which i think should be nominated for more awards than just the song) soundtrack lately so I don't know if "Remember Me" will get the title of Best Original Song. Remember Me is easily my 2nd favorite song on that list though and definitely has a shot.

Best Animated Short...I really liked Lou so I hope that wins. Glad to see that something involved with the Cars 3 release was given a look.
I think Star Wars has a good shot at visual effects like you said. Star Wars is always nominated for those types of awards. Force awakens was as well but didn’t win.

I think Coco will definitely win animated film. It’s just beautiful but like you am not sure on the song. I haven’t seen Greatest Showman yet but I find it interesting that it didn’t seem to do well with reviews at first but many seem to love it. It might be more one of those niche films.

I haven’t seen Greatest Showman yet but I find it interesting that it didn’t seem to do well with reviews at first but many seem to love it. It might be more one of those niche films.

I was so confused by The Greatest Showman on Rotten Tomatoes. Not by the scores, but by the fact that despite bad critic scores, it was nominated for best picture and best song. How could so many critics hate a best picture nominee? I'm not a musical person most of the time. Hated Into The Woods, never even considered seeing Les Mis. Everyone I knew who had seen TGS loved it, but I just wrote that off as only people who like those kind of movies are going to see them, and of course they are going to like it. My gf really wanted to see it though, so I decided to suffer through it. It was amazing! Yes, it had problems, but overall it did what it was intended to do, and it did so very well. It inspired. After watching the movie is obvious why the critics hated it.
It deals heavily with Barnum's distaste for critics, despite being forced to have to please them. One of the major themes of the movie is "screw what critics think. If it makes people happy, then it is worthy."
TGS does just that.

I was so confused by The Greatest Showman on Rotten Tomatoes. Not by the scores, but by the fact that despite bad critic scores, it was nominated for best picture and best song. How could so many critics hate a best picture nominee? I'm not a musical person most of the time. Hated Into The Woods, never even considered seeing Les Mis. Everyone I knew who had seen TGS loved it, but I just wrote that off as only people who like those kind of movies are going to see them, and of course they are going to like it. My gf really wanted to see it though, so I decided to suffer through it. It was amazing! Yes, it had problems, but overall it did what it was intended to do, and it did so very well. It inspired. After watching the movie is obvious why the critics hated it.
It deals heavily with Barnum's distaste for critics, despite being forced to have to please them. One of the major themes of the movie is "screw what critics think. If it makes people happy, then it is worthy."
TGS does just that.

It's sort of off topic, but my wife really wants to see TGS. I used to hate musicals when I was young but have grown to appreciate them. I wonder if it's similar to LaLa Land which had a lot of people either LOVE or HATE it, while I found it to be just OK. Musicals tend to be that way - it's sort of whether the emotions of the music/dance strike you as real or false. For me, it's a lot about how much I like the songs. La La Land was beautifully shot and choreographed, but none of the songs stuck with me, making it just OK. I wonder if I will feel the same way about TGS.

Coco had a lot of music, but again not much of it really stuck by me outside of the main song "Remember Me" which was pretty good. I think animated musicals can get away with feeling "real" because they don't have to have that real world / fantasy balance that live action musicals have to. When La La Land opens with all those people dancing on the freeway...that seen alone can set you up with either "I'm in" or "this is stupid", and depending on which way you fall in those first 5 minutes is probably where you are going to stay. Meanwhile you watch Moana and she sings about the ocean and you're like "Hey, that's what it's all about."

It's sort of off topic, but my wife really wants to see TGS. I used to hate musicals when I was young but have grown to appreciate them. I wonder if it's similar to LaLa Land which had a lot of people either LOVE or HATE it, while I found it to be just OK. Musicals tend to be that way - it's sort of whether the emotions of the music/dance strike you as real or false. For me, it's a lot about how much I like the songs. La La Land was beautifully shot and choreographed, but none of the songs stuck with me, making it just OK. I wonder if I will feel the same way about TGS.

Coco had a lot of music, but again not much of it really stuck by me outside of the main song "Remember Me" which was pretty good. I think animated musicals can get away with feeling "real" because they don't have to have that real world / fantasy balance that live action musicals have to. When La La Land opens with all those people dancing on the freeway...that seen alone can set you up with either "I'm in" or "this is stupid", and depending on which way you fall in those first 5 minutes is probably where you are going to stay. Meanwhile you watch Moana and she sings about the ocean and you're like "Hey, that's what it's all about."

As a kid, I never liked the songs in Disney movies. I was always bored by them and just couldn't wait for them to be over and get back to the story. I'm still that way with many things, very "to the point" so I don't like a lot of fluff and I'm awful at telling stories. But now that I'm older I appreciate the songs and they are my favorite part. So for me, I don't like musicals where the whole thing is "sing talking" because I just don't think those make good songs. (JMO, I know many enjoy full out musicals and that's fine. Just doesn't hold my attention.)

TGS is more like a Disney movie where they have plenty of normal acting and then break into song every once and a while and they are very catchy and often powerful. I knew nothing about P.T. Barnum going into this movie and came out feeling like I had watched a movie about someone cut from the same cloth as Walt. Really a lot of similarities. This is probably why I liked the movie so much and why I think most here would. I got really emotional and caught up in the idea of someone being such a visionary.

LaLa Land, I like you just thought it was ok. I didn't hate it but didn't love it either. I had no desire to rewatch and can't even really remember why I didn't like it. I just thought the story/ending was not very satisfying and none of the music made me want to buy the soundtrack.

but I have been addicted to The Greatest Showman (which i think should be nominated for more awards than just the song) soundtrack lately

RIGHT?!? We are constantly playing it!

Yes, it had problems, but overall it did what it was intended to do, and it did so very well. It inspired. After watching the movie is obvious why the critics hated it.
TGS does just that.

Isn’t it funny how real life mirrored the art?

Items of business:
1. Election of the ten nominees named in the proxy statement as Directors, each for a term of one year.
2. Ratification of the appointment of PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP as the Company’s independent registered public accountants for fiscal 2018.
3. Approval of material terms of performance goals under the Amended and Restated 2002 Executive Performance Plan.
4. Consideration of an advisory vote to approve executive compensation.
5. Consideration of up to two shareholder proposals, if presented.

Thanks for the breakdown. Haven't had time yet to read over the proxy. Seems like the shareholder proposals are rarely approved.

I loved Coco but Loving Vincent was very, very good. I think Coco will win though because animated movies from small studios do not win.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academy_Award_for_Best_Animated_Feature

Damn. They need to drop Price water house so that Deloitte can pick them up so that I can work for Disney.

TGS does just that.

I'm not really surprised. The critics often dislike movies that I love.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter