News Round Up 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for sharing that last point - I haven’t seen it without the actors but my feels are that it would be similar to you describe

This one just seems odd to me as how much is that really going to save? And this was to be a big part of the enabling AK to be an evening park as well.

Like I get closing down Rafiki’s planet watch - lot of area to maintain, the train to maintain, quite a few CMs, and, to be honest, while I know some people that really liked it, it wasn’t a draw to the park. So while I might not like that it is closing, I get it.

This one is more puzzling as the scale of cost savings vs impact of making a signature component a lesser experience doesn’t seem to be there to me

RE: The bolded question.

I think the answer depends upon the classification of those Cast Members. If the roles are Actor's Equity ones, they are going to be paid much higher than "normal" Entertainment Cast Members (like parade performers). Unfortunately, "how much more?" is not a question I can answer.

I'm a part-time actor based in Florida. I get notices for Equity roles at Disney World. I don't save any of those emails, so I can't say whether the initial Rivers of Light roles were Equity ones.

I think the answer depends upon the classification of those Cast Members. If the roles are Actor's Equity ones, they are going to be paid much higher than "normal" Entertainment Cast Members (like parade performers). Unfortunately, "how much more?" is not a question I can answer.

I'm a part-time actor based in Florida. I get notices for Equity roles at Disney World. I don't save any of those emails, so I can't say whether the initial Rivers of Light roles were Equity ones.

They are not Equity. The only Equity positions I know of are at FoLK and that’s the singers and pas de deux dancers. There might be some at Nemo, but I’ve never had any friends bid there.

They are not Equity. The only Equity positions I know of are at FoLK and that’s the singers and pas de deux dancers. There might be some at Nemo, but I’ve never had any friends bid there.

Interesting thought either way - and wonder (guess it is a question one of you may get now thannseer to) if either way it would be a contract for a certain minimum period of time and if that minimum is longer than they plan to keep the show around maybe this is the first step in a larger decision already made

Or if they might change it for the holidays or something?

Interesting thought either way - and wonder (guess it is a question one of you may get now thannseer to) if either way it would be a contract for a certain minimum period of time and if that minimum is longer than they plan to keep the show around maybe this is the first step in a larger decision already made

Or if they might change it for the holidays or something?

I think it’s convenient that the performers appearance ends on the 29th, which is also the last day of this full-time entertainment bid period. I know that for the next bid period, instead of being at one park full-time, Entertainment CMs are allowed to bid a full-time schedule across all four parks and various resorts - ie. MK on Monday, DHS on Tuesday, Poly breakfast for Wednesday, etc.

Also, these are non-Equity trained performance roles, which there are very few left that aren’t face characters (parades at MK ... and that’s basically it), and with Boo to You! happening and Christmas parade about to go into rehearsals, the performer pool for people that meet certain levels of movement/performance capability to be cast in these roles is gonna be stretched pretty thin ...

I think it’s probably just a performer shortage more than anything else for the season.

Or, like I told @rteetz, maybe they’ll just slap some characters on the boats and we’ll have Rivers of Fantasmic!.

Oh easily .. any park you can spend a whole day or more in .. ESPECIALLY if you are a first-time guest.
Each family has their own pace -- I can spend a whole day in DHS (even before TSL) .. where most lately have not.

But I think that of all the parks it has the least amount of attractions ... even if you count the walking trails as an attraction (which probably most don't).

For a lot of the "ride only" people -- the park is a quick day, especially when two of the rides are skippable "kiddie" rides. More ride attractions help give the park more fast pass availability and should (in theory) keep standby lines down as people are distributed among more things. One of the main reasons that Flight of Passage wait times are so high is simply because there is only 5 or 6 other rides to wait in a line for at that park.

The more the other parks can get near the level of attractions that MK has, the better the FP+ system works - no tiering needed!

That's why it shocks me they just suddenly shut down an attraction, but obviously they must have some plans (one would hope) and this isn't just a cost-saving measure. I mean . .if they want to cut costs, shut down the dumb carnival games in Hester and Chester's . .does anyone actually play those?
I used to have that attitude about AK. Then when they extended the hours into the night I really found out how to enjoy it. We go in the summer so it’s a lot better to go a couple of days from 3/4 to close than rope drop. It makes the entire experience more enjoyable.

All depends on what you’re into and looking for though

Then they can cancel it entirely for "lack of demand". Win/win (not for fans, but for the bottom line).
Maybe. But they spent a lot of money to put in that new theater on the water. It’d hard to justify recouping that cost if they ax the show that still draws a healthy crowd every night after a few years

I think it’s convenient that the performers appearance ends on the 29th, which is also the last day of this full-time entertainment bid period. I know that for the next bid period, instead of being at one park full-time, Entertainment CMs are allowed to bid a full-time schedule across all four parks and various resorts - ie. MK on Monday, DHS on Tuesday, Poly breakfast for Wednesday, etc.

Also, these are non-Equity trained performance roles, which there are very few left that aren’t face characters (parades at MK ... and that’s basically it), and with Boo to You! happening and Christmas parade about to go into rehearsals, the performer pool for people that meet certain levels of movement/performance capability to be cast in these roles is gonna be stretched pretty thin ...

I think it’s probably just a performer shortage more than anything else for the season.

Or, like I told @rteetz, maybe they’ll just slap some characters on the boats and we’ll have Rivers of Fantasmic!.

Haha, just make the new show like a “best of” the others

Rivers of Fantasmic: Reflections of Happily Ever Alive with Magic

News

Another cut, Ending September 29th is the Captain Jack Sparrow Pirate Tutorial at MK.
This is very sad, was one of the best things we did on our first trips, my son got to go on stage and dual Jack. Then when we did MNSSHP, we both got up there and were able to get pictures and autographs with Jack. Sad to see it go

I wasn't sure. I know I got an audition notice back when all of that was developing but I couldn't remember if it was for Rivers of Light or the temporary Jungle Book show. Sounds like it was the latter...probably for the vocalists.

Back when I worked at Disney World, I know the Tumble Monkeys in Festival of the Lion King were Equity. (I dated a Tumble Monkey. I also dated a Monkey Keeper. Not sure what says about me. hehe)

Report - another cut!!

All 4 Shaman roles being cut from Rivers of Light .... that really sucks as I thought it added quite a bit to the show!

https://wdwnt.com/2018/09/all-live-...imal-kingdoms-rivers-of-light-nighttime-show/

Ugh! I was the only one of my family who really liked rivers of light. This is pretty disappointing, and I am positive it will bring down the production.

A while ago, someone was saying rivers of light is a place holder for a bigger show, wonder if this is part of that plan.

A while ago, someone was saying rivers of light is a place holder for a bigger show, wonder if this is part of that plan.

I don't think that it was designed as a placeholder - but a similar thought occurred to me, that maybe the failure of the show is going to lead to retooled version.

One of thing that disappointed me most about the show being kind of lackluster is that we all complain about "everything Disney does is IP related now", but then they did this big nighttime show with no IP...and it kind of flopped. It makes me think: "Oh, there going to retool it and link it to IP people know and love." And it almost makes me think that wouldn't be a bad idea when I watch it.

I don't think that it was designed as a placeholder - but a similar thought occurred to me, that maybe the failure of the show is going to lead to retooled version.

One of thing that disappointed me most about the show being kind of lackluster is that we all complain about "everything Disney does is IP related now", but then they did this big nighttime show with no IP...and it kind of flopped. It makes me think: "Oh, there going to retool it and link it to IP people know and love." And it almost makes me think that wouldn't be a bad idea when I watch it.
I think part of the reason why I liked Rivers of Light so much was that it wasn’t based on any IP. That’s one of the reasons why I have always liked Illuminations as my favorite nighttime show at Walt Disney World...Granted, I still really like IP shows like Happily Ever After and Fantasmic (Disneyland version only). I just find non-IP shows to be unique, and I also like the story of both shows.

Like I said in a post above, the shamens being cut is a big loss to this show.

I really like it - love the boats with the actors, the animal floats and, especially, the music ... but it's definitely not perfect, a lot of the water screen images aren't the clearest

but like you said, just taking away from it won't improve it
I'm one of those who started anticipating way back when the rumors of ROL opening SOON started - then was extremely disappointed (to put it mildly!) that it didn't open... In fact I didn't get to see it until this past March, and thought it was really wonderful - very short, but with a FP or Dining Package, not a bad wait in line. I hope it can survive the ax.... It's great technology (now that it finally works) and the colors and music are really well done. The actors, well, hopefully it can still get the message across without them, but they did add a lot to the show.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter