Nikon D50

There is a free program called IEXIF available from Opanda that can be used to access all kinds of useful information about an image, including how many clicks on the shutter. You'll need a current image made with the camera in order to use this.

~Y

does the XTi record shutter clicks?

I just downloaded the program. It does give a ton of info. As a Canon XT user, I do not see shutter clicks listed. Oh well, otherwise a great and useful program.

Andy,

Open an image file from your HD using the Open With option and choose IExif. Click on the summary tab at the top. Under the Entry column, near the bottom, somewhere around 4th or 5th from the bottom is Total Number of Shutter Releases for Camera. You might only initially see it as Total Number of S... You can widen the column just like in MS Excel. The number of releases is listed in the Value column.

I don't know if the 30D releases this feature. Another buddy of mine has a 20D and said he couldn't retrieve this info.

So how many times can one expect to click the shutter on a dslr before it conks out?

It depends on the camera.

The more expensive dSLR's like the Canon 1Ds Mark III and Nikon's D3 are rated to 300,000 shutter releases.

The Nikon D300 is rated to 150,000
Canon 40D & Nikon D80 are rated to 100,000
Nikon D40/40x & D50 are around 50,000
Canon XT & XTi and Nikon D70/D70s are around 50-75,000
Same for the Pentax, Olympus and Sony line. The Pentax K10D will have a longer life than the K100D.

Basically the more expensive the camera, the long the shutter will last. If you think about it, a pro photographer, in general, is going to take a lot more pictures than an amerture. A person looking for an entry level dSLR probably isn't going to be taking 10,000 pictures a year (I'm on the high side of an amerture and have taken about 6,500 in each of the last 2 years). A pro sports photographer may take a few thousand pictures for 1 event.

The shutter mechanisim can be replaced when they do fail. From what I've heard, its in the $200-500 range depending on the camera make/model.

It depends on the camera.

The more expensive dSLR's like the Canon 1Ds Mark III and Nikon's D3 are rated to 300,000 shutter releases.

The Nikon D300 is rated to 150,000
Canon 40D & Nikon D80 are rated to 100,000
Nikon D40/40x & D50 are around 50,000
Canon XT & XTi and Nikon D70/D70s are around 50-75,000
Same for the Pentax, Olympus and Sony line. The Pentax K10D will have a longer life than the K100D.

Basically the more expensive the camera, the long the shutter will last. If you think about it, a pro photographer, in general, is going to take a lot more pictures than an amerture. A person looking for an entry level dSLR probably isn't going to be taking 10,000 pictures a year (I'm on the high side of an amerture and have taken about 6,500 in each of the last 2 years). A pro sports photographer may take a few thousand pictures for 1 event.

The shutter mechanisim can be replaced when they do fail. From what I've heard, its in the $200-500 range depending on the camera make/model.

Interesting. My D70 has around 14,000 on it so far. Thanks for the info!

B&H has a factory refurb D50 for $379

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...ac=&fi=all&pn=1&ci=2891&cmpsrch=&cltp=&clsgr=

The item #590700 (Nikon - D50 Digital Camera (Camera Body)) is a Factory Refurbished product, and restored to the exact manufacturer specifications by the original manufacturer. It also comes with a 90-day warranty. These unused or used items have been returned to original manufacturers for various reasons; for example, use in field tests, use in sales displays, and cancellations.

There was someone looking for one of these awhile back so if you still want one here is your chance.
Not trying to pimp a company just saw and thought I would let folks know.

I love my camera but everytime I use the automatic I get RED EYE!!! My friend told me I need to get a flower hood for the lens?? I dont think the lens has alot to do with red-eye. I am thinking I need to do something with the flash....anyone have any suggestions. I took some photos at a wedding and they all look like characters from THRILLER. It was pretty low light

Don't need a flower hood. Use a External flash, or turn on the red-eye reduction mode. The further the flash source from the lens, the less red-eye. Externals with bounce work well.

webshark3 is right, get an external flash. It moves the light farther from the lens and helps a lot with red eye. If you can't get a flash right now, use software afterwords to remove it from the pictures.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red-eye_effect
not a bad article for what causes it and how to prevent.

Also, depending on the length of the lens, a petal hood combined with onboard flash may create a shadow on the image.

The only time I get red eye with my D50 is when I use the pop up flash. Its to close to the lens. The flash gives off the light directly into the subjects eyes thus the red reflection back.

Getting an SB-600 or even the little SB-400 would make a world of difference. The light comes in at a higher angle and doesn't reflect directly off the back of the person's pupil.

With the lens hood and using the pop up flash you'll get a shadow in the shape of the lens hood on the bottom of your images if you use a focal length around 25mm or wider. So I typically take my lens hood off if I use the pop-up flash.

I am a newbie. I am going to take some lessons this fall. I love my camera but am still playing around with it. I am going to try to go to our local camera store where I bought my camera second hand. Will see about an external flash. Thanks for the info!!!

I'm with Furgus... if a flash is not an option then remove it with some software. A free alternative to photoshop and such is a program gimp (I use the protable version on my thumb drive anytime I am away from my desktop).

I'd like to get a new lens for my husband's Nikon D50 (as a Christmas gift) but I have no knowledge of photography much less lenses. He really does enjoy the camera and I think he'd like to have another lens. Either one that allows the photographer to zoom in closer on far away objects or that would provide some sort of special effect are what I'm looking for.

He only has the lens that came with the camera.

His photography mainly consists of our children's sporting events and our vacations.

He's very good with using photo software as well.

I'd like to keep the lens cost under 150.00 if possible and would also appreciate suggestions on a website that would have good lens prices.

Thanks for any help that can be offered.

That would be a tough call.

If I was looking in this price range I would probably go with a

41Xedpi5HFL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED IF AF-S DX VR Zoom

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1220899834&sr=8-3

You can get a refurbished one for $159.95 + $8.95 Shipping

The closest thing to what you describe would probably be the Nikon 55-200VR, but would be above your stated budget. Good online retailers include B&H, Beach/Buydig (same company) and Roberts.

~Y

Thank you Dr Zero. Is it a tough call because of my price limitation or because there are so many options at that price?

Price is big factor and not knowing his shooting style or habits also.

A faster lens for lower light is what I am looking for and that with a the VR (Vibration Reduction) is pretty pricey.

Everyone is a little different and want or expect something different out of their camera or lens, but the lens I posted to me would be a good compromise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter