No luggage carts?????

Travel60

DIS Veteran
So what is this about no luggage carts at SSR and, as I understand, some other resorts? What a pain! We are on a 2 week road trip in personal car, 7 days at SSR longest part of trip. I admit we over packed but weather so variable we got into the "hey, go ahead and throw it in" mentality. For short stays on the way, we don't bring everything in but for 7 nights we wanted to clear out car. Our room in Paddocks is at upper level fartherest from elevator. Our car is right outside room area so we took stairs -----about 5 trips each. I'm now exhausted! They want us to call for a bellhop, wait for him, then tip. Really? Do people drive off with the carts? What is the deal?:confused3:headache: We love SSR for proximity to Downtown but will rethink for future trips, especially if bringing kids/grandkids.

None of the WDW DVC Resorts have luggage carts for personal use, they are for Bell Services use only. If everyone had free access to the luggage cards, no one would use Bell Services and they would not lose out on gratuities.

So what is this about no luggage carts at SSR and, as I understand, some other resorts? What a pain! We are on a 2 week road trip in personal car, 7 days at SSR longest part of trip. I admit we over packed but weather so variable we got into the "hey, go ahead and throw it in" mentality. For short stays on the way, we don't bring everything in but for 7 nights we wanted to clear out car. Our room in Paddocks is at upper level fartherest from elevator. Our car is right outside room area so we took stairs -----about 5 trips each. I'm now exhausted! They want us to call for a bellhop, wait for him, then tip. Really? Do people drive off with the carts? What is the deal?:confused3:headache: We love SSR for proximity to Downtown but will rethink for future trips, especially if bringing kids/grandkids.

None of the WDW DVC Resorts have luggage carts for personal use, they are for Bell Services use only. If everyone had free access to the luggage cards, no one would use Bell Services and they would not lose out on gratuities.

Not just DVC resorts, I don't think any WDW resorts allow personal use of the carts. People would just leave them anywhere plus there's a liability issue.

I've stayed at SSR numerous times and I've never seen a luggage cart at the individual sections. All of them are at the main building with Bell Services. You may not have known to do so, but when you checked in all you needed to do was have bell services unload your luggage and give them the room number it needed to be delivered to. They would bring it over. There are also elevators at each of the buildings, so there is no need to walk your luggage upstairs.

On the tipping part, it is up to you whether you tip or not. If you didn't tip, I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be the only one. I've stayed at most of the DVC resorts and I've never had a member of Bell Services ask me for a tip when they bring or retrieve my bags(I usually only have one or two).

I've stayed at SSR numerous times and I've never seen a luggage cart at the individual sections. All of them are at the main building with Bell Services. You may not have known to do so, but when you checked in all you needed to do was have bell services unload your luggage and give them the room number it needed to be delivered to. They would bring it over. There are also elevators at each of the buildings, so there is no need to walk your luggage upstairs.

On the tipping part, it is up to you whether you tip or not. If you didn't tip, I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be the only one. I've stayed at most of the DVC resorts and I've never had a member of Bell Services ask me for a tip when they bring or retrieve my bags(I usually only have one or two).

They would never ask you for a tip, just like a waiter or waitress don't "ask" you for a tip. But it is customary. $1 to $2 per bag.

Awww, please, please tip the baggage handlers. They work so very hard.

Quoted for truth. I know we would all rather spend less on vacation, but if you ask bell services to help you with luggage, you should tip as is customary.

nabi said:

Agreed. We tip about $20 for the drop off and $20 when they pick up when we leave. We only have 3 bags (one per person), but we also bring 2 huge cases of water, juice boxes... a few shopping bags of breakfast food/snacks.... we always stay on very high floor in BLT... like OP if we were to lug everything in it would take 5 trips $20 is a small price to pay to have someone else do the heavy lifting. To top it off they ALWAYS remember you if you tip well and will bend over backwards if there is something we might need during the week.

::yes:: That's exactly the reason. I can see why you might think liability is the issue, but then why are the luggage carts at DHHI specifically for guest use? Only because there is no Bell Services at the Hilton Head resort.

Hilton Head and Vero Beach both have guest carts. I'm pretty sure Aulani does, too. I'd just like to be given the option - I prefer to do it myself, especially if I've got a lot of small things.

Hilton Head and Vero Beach both have guest carts. I'm pretty sure Aulani does, too. I'd just like to be given the option - I prefer to do it myself, especially if I've got a lot of small things.

We have our own wheelie cart that we bring along if we need it.

They would never ask you for a tip, just like a waiter or waitress don't "ask" you for a tip. But it is customary. $1 to $2 per bag.

Don't get me wrong, I agree that people should tip when they call bell services. My point to the OP is whether or not they do tip is up to them. I know that's the reason why they decided to move their own luggage.

It's all about the money, an agreement between Disney and the union to increase tips for Bell Services. Same reason why you have to be in your room when they deliver your luggage and why a outside contractor unloads your car.

:earsboy: Bill

And, if guests had free use of luggage carts, there would never be one when you needed one. This is because the last guest who used it would have just left it outside their villa and not bother to bring it back.

This is exactly what happens with the luggage carts at the beach condo we have stayed at the past 2 summers. There is no bell services, but there are about 10 or so luggage carts for guest use at the resort. There is never one at the front desk available to use because no one ever brings them back after they use them. They just leave them outside their condos, or just random places around the resort. In order to get your luggage to your condo or car, you first have to search the whole complex for a luggage cart. Very bad system. Happy that Disney has bell services - happy to tip them to handle my luggage for me :)

And, if guests had free use of luggage carts, there would never be one when you needed one. This is because the last guest who used it would have just left it outside their villa and not bother to bring it back.

This is exactly what happens with the luggage carts at the beach condo we have stayed at the past 2 summers. There is no bell services, but there are about 10 or so luggage carts for guest use at the resort. There is never one at the front desk available to use because no one ever brings them back after they use them. They just leave them outside their condos, or just random places around the resort. In order to get your luggage to your condo or car, you first have to search the whole complex for a luggage cart. Very bad system. Happy that Disney has bell services - happy to tip them to handle my luggage for me :)

+1

I've noticed this at other timeshares that do have luggage carts. Some people even take a cart to their room the night before they leave and keep it there all night so they'll have it in the morning. Other people take cart to their room, unload it, and keep it there for hours before returning it, making carts scarce at check-in time.

When I see a stranded luggage cart in the hallway, I'll usually take it back to the cart storage area if I'm going that way.

Some people even take a cart to their room the night before they leave and keep it there all night so they'll have it in the morning.
I've seen this at a few places too. Very annoying. Another example of Why We Can't Have Nice Things.

It's all about the money, an agreement between Disney and the union to increase tips for Bell Services. Same reason why you have to be in your room when they deliver your luggage and why a outside contractor unloads your car.

:earsboy: Bill

And if these staff members were not compensated with the expectation of receiving tips, their wages would be higher and we'd pay for it in our dues.

A wise man once told me that if I couldn't afford gratuities for people who have earned them, I shouldn't be going on vacation in the first place.

+1

I've noticed this at other timeshares that do have luggage carts. Some people even take a cart to their room the night before they leave and keep it there all night so they'll have it in the morning. Other people take cart to their room, unload it, and keep it there for hours before returning it, making carts scarce at check-in time.

When I see a stranded luggage cart in the hallway, I'll usually take it back to the cart storage area if I'm going that way.

I guess we should consider ourselves fortunate at DHHI-we've always found several luggage carts right where they're supposed to be, by the elevator by the parking garage (we always stay in the Main Building). Or maybe it's that Disney fans are extra-polite.:thumbsup2

Are you a DVC owner?

+1

I'd say DVC is about the only place we go that do not have carts for use but I understand why and it's not a big deal. I'd say most we go to have plenty of carts such that finding one when needed is not a major issue but there are exceptions. I think we had this conversation around a year ago about someone upset they couldn't use the carts that bell services use, quite an unreasonable guest it appeared as posted. Simply one of the compromises of DVC.

I guess we should consider ourselves fortunate at DHHI-we've always found several luggage carts right where they're supposed to be, by the elevator by the parking garage (we always stay in the Main Building). Or maybe it's that Disney fans are extra-polite.:thumbsup2
VB has them too IIRC.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter