No luggage carts?????

So what is this about no luggage carts at SSR and, as I understand, some other resorts? What a pain! We are on a 2 week road trip in personal car, 7 days at SSR longest part of trip. I admit we over packed but weather so variable we got into the "hey, go ahead and throw it in" mentality. For short stays on the way, we don't bring everything in but for 7 nights we wanted to clear out car. Our room in Paddocks is at upper level fartherest from elevator. Our car is right outside room area so we took stairs -----about 5 trips each. I'm now exhausted! They want us to call for a bellhop, wait for him, then tip. Really? Do people drive off with the carts? What is the deal?:confused3:headache: We love SSR for proximity to Downtown but will rethink for future trips, especially if bringing kids/grandkids.

It's all about the money, an agreement between Disney and the union to increase tips for Bell Services. Same reason why you have to be in your room when they deliver your luggage and why a outside contractor unloads your car. :earsboy: Bill
NO ITS NOT

I think its is about keeping things organized and allowing quicker check-in, not having Aunt Gladys, and Uncle Mel park their car at the front entrance find a cart, load up the carts, have their grocery bags fall, walk into the lobby and look like Bambi starring into headlights unsure where to go, walking the cart poolside hitting lounge chairs, trying to go down stairs, being unable to steer the dang thing, scratching up the halls, leaving the cart in the hallway, having little Johnny and his sister use them to race up and down the hall... and don't forget you are in your car waiting to be able to pull up but can't because Mel still has his car in the driveway. he comes back down and asks Gladys for the car keys, "I thought you had the car keys?"

Yep, I am happy not having carts for you to use, or should I say Uncle Mel and Aunt Gladys
:rotfl:

+1

I've noticed this at other timeshares that do have luggage carts. Some people even take a cart to their room the night before they leave and keep it there all night so they'll have it in the morning. Other people take cart to their room, unload it, and keep it there for hours before returning it, making carts scarce at check-in time.

When I see a stranded luggage cart in the hallway, I'll usually take it back to the cart storage area if I'm going that way.
Could you imagine with 30,000 hotel rooms on property what a mess it would be. It's great that you bring the stranded cart down "usually", you just can't have a large resort operate that way. There would be threads galore on this site how "my vacation was ruined, there were no carts at check-in, Disney is cheap, it's all about the money etc..."

And if these staff members were not compensated with the expectation of receiving tips, their wages would be higher and we'd pay for it in our dues.

A wise man once told me that if I couldn't afford gratuities for people who have earned them, I shouldn't be going on vacation in the first place.

Totally agree!!
:thumbsup2

True having guests using carts would be a nightmare but according to my sources, the Bell Services, no cart for guests was also a tipping issue and was a union/Disney agreement. So was the guest having to be in the room unless their luggage is coming from DME which pays the tip to Bell Services.

:earsboy: Bill

Hilton Head and Vero Beach both have guest carts. I'm pretty sure Aulani does, too. I'd just like to be given the option - I prefer to do it myself, especially if I've got a lot of small things.

Someone will correct me if I wrong, but I believe that HHI and VB do not have a Bell Services where as all of the DVC resorts at WDW do. So if you have CMs being paid to handle bags (and working for tips) it makes sense that carts are not available for guest use. And I expect disneynutz is correct that contractual obligations are involved.

Someone will correct me if I wrong, but I believe that HHI and VB do not have a Bell Services where as all of the DVC resorts at WDW do. So if you have CMs being paid to handle bags (and working for tips) it makes sense that carts are not available for guest use. And I expect disneynutz is correct that contractual obligations are involved.

When DME first came online there was a big issue with the union because Disney didn't want the luggage put into storage waiting for the guest to call for tipped delivery. Bell Services CM's were pretty upset. Later an agreement was made that a payment in lieu of a tip would be paid to Bell Services so the luggage would be delivered without the guest being present.

:earsboy: Bill

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter