No Poly Concierge in 2003!!!!

Tikiman

He kuikawa ka 'ikena o kela wahi ho'oku ka'a e wai
Well it is official. I would not have believed it untill I was told directly from the Polynesian this morning. The Hawaii building will be going down for rehab starting in June 2003 for approximately 2-3 months. At this time, the rooms have not been released to be sold due to the final arrangements being made. At this time, they are also making final arrangements on how they are going to do our Concierge level rooms and provide the same type of
services, (check-in, food amenities etc, etc). The Disney
Reservations agents can only see there are no rooms in the Concierge category, unfortunately, it doesn't tell them why.

Good thing we were planning on going to Tahiti next year and not WDW. I guess we will have to return in 2004 and see how it looks.

Aloha

Steve

At 1st I thought that you were going to stay in the Tahiti building.....Have fun in Tahiti (the real one) next year.

I appreciate your help in figuring out what was going on... I am really depressed about that... after finally deciding to stay on the concierge level during our trip next July... I CAN'T!! ugh... well, I book the Lagoon view room instead... I hope it is just as nice (without all the extras :rolleyes: ...

Thanks again for your help...

Karen

Maybe you can tell me this... Which is better... lagoon view at poly or concierge anywhere else??? We are switching to AKL concierge for nights 5 - 9...

Thanks!

For the building to be down for that long, they must be doing some extensive rehabbing! I will definitely be looking forward to staying there after it's finished to see what they have done!

A regular lagoon view room will still be great. Maybe we can all pitch in and stay in the King Kamehameha suite!!!

Guess I'll have to stay at the Polynesian on my January 2004 trip. Can't wait to see the new 'Hawaii'.

Couldn't they move concierge to Tahiti since it has that large common area in the middle?

Thank goodness. We were told about this in January after we transferred to the AK but not told a time for it. I would happily go back and give the Poly another shot if they renovate!

Doesn't make much sense to do this during high season...oh well! Esp. July 4!!
It actually does make my life easier....I was trying to decide for next year on a 4 day cruise followed by 3 days at the Poly concierge over July 4 (I would pay cash since my DVC points would all go to the cruise) or 4 days at my BWV "home" followed by the 3 day cruise....guess it's the 3 day cruise! If I have to pay cash for a non-DVC room, there isn't anywhere I'd want to really stay but the Poly, esp. since it would be over July 4.
On the other hand, I have 2 weeks for Christmas 2003 vacation instead of the usual 10 days--perhaps another December mini-trip will be in order to check the place out!!
Robin M.

2-3 months that is a long rehab I wonder what all they are going to do. -Cris

A complete gutting of the place and a new lounge.

Steve

Originally posted by Tikiman
A complete gutting of the place and a new lounge.

Steve

Sounds similar to what they did at the Grand Floridian. :)

Will they be redoing all the buildings? I think I read Aorteora was already done?

Yes they will be doing all the Hawaii longhouse.

We were there the end of May for 10 nights and were surprised to see Aorteora empty. That's our favorite non-concierge building. Guess that's where we'll have to stay next year.:(

I am hoping it is extensive, new interior and bathrooms.

Steve,

A new lounge makes sense, but "a complete gutting of the place"? What could that mean? The time frame is too short for any major reconstruction. Perhaps you just mean stripping out all the rooms and replacing with new carpet, furnishings, etc.

Wouldn't it be cool to have balconies on the second floor? And dual sinks like the newer longhouses?

When I said gutting I did not mean anything structural just carpeting, paint etc. Sort of like the renovation in 1996-1998 but I got the impression they have some surprises for the concierge lounge and services. I will try to find out more. They would not be able to add the double sink but maybe the balcony. We shal see.

Steve

well, that certainly sounds exciting to me!
Lilo & Stitch has gotten me in the Polynesian mood, but I think I now want to wait til it gets it's make over in the Hawaii longhouse.
I'm sure it will be beautiful.
cant wait to hear tidbits - Steve :) :) :)

Laura :)

Originally posted by Tikiman
It looks like Tahiti will be the concierge building while the Hawaii building is being completely redone. THey seem to think the work will be very extensive.

Steve

:Doing the Happy Dance:
Guess Cali-D might be right, then! ;) Maybe I'll have to try Tahiti Concierge to see how it compares! ;) Gotta love those double sinks and balconies on both the 2nd and 3rd floors!

Maybe they'll be able to scrub the "stink" out of those rooms. I'd love to go back and stay there in a "stink-free" concierge room. :)

I didn't find any stick, that is the first thing I was checking for, I think I drove my son nuts sniffing. As far as doing the rooms over, I bet it will be gorgeous but I found when I was there a week agao the room was in GREAT shape for being such an old hotel.:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter