Not thrilled with having to fly on a Boeing plane.

They do fly all Boeing's, almost all 737 and variants. I actually find the boarding process orderly. Ruin someones day by taking the first middle seat you see! 🤣
Yes, Southwest’s BOARDING process is the industry’s most civilized. It’s what happens once aboard that is often chaotic.

The only real problem I have with Southwest's boarding process is it severely penalizes anyone who isn't at the gate 30 minutes before boarding. Did the first flight on your itinerary arrive late? Not only do you have to run from one gate to another to catch your connection, but now despite your A-group boarding pass you're stuck in a middle seat in the back.

Next week I’m embarking on a triangular itinerary that involves 3 Boeing planes, a 787, and two different 737 variants. I have no qualms about those planes.

The only real problem I have with Southwest's boarding process is it severely penalizes anyone who isn't at the gate 30 minutes before boarding. Did the first flight on your itinerary arrive late? Not only do you have to run from one gate to another to catch your connection, but now despite your A-group boarding pass you're stuck in a middle seat in the back.
But usually SW will wait for late arrivals from connections, while other airlines will close the door even if the plane is still sitting at the gate.

Our family regularly flies Sydney, Australia - Dallas on a Qantas Boeing 787. When I say regularly I mean more than 10 times a year. I’ve never worried or panicked and that’s a 14hr+ flight.

I figure if I’m going to drop out of the sky, it won’t matter whether I panic or not.

Yup...that's all ocean too. I have a flight like this coming up, will be the longest for me and my husband. It's United...so all Boeing planes. The first leg was just switched out to a 777-200....from the Dreamliner. Dreamliner coming back from Johannesburg. Nothing but ocean from Newark to Cape Town. I just have to "la la la" my way through it....can't think about the flight path. Hopefully a bit of champagne, the lie flat seat and some movies will take my mind off all of it.

1715283710170.png

That brand has a serious problem, and the people running things did some serious damage to that brand.

To make it worse, the sudden deaths of two employees who just so happened to be whistle blowers ain't helping things.

But usually SW will wait for late arrivals from connections, while other airlines will close the door even if the plane is still sitting at the gate.
In my experience the opposite is true. Because they schedule such tight turns for their planes Southwest can rarely afford to hold flights for more than a couple of minutes so my clients have missed far more connections on Southwest than other airlines. It's mostly just a matter of luck though--all airlines hold flights when the schedule allows for them to do so.

IMO, despite recent meltdowns Southwest is still riding on a reputation for low prices and high customer service that they earned years ago, but they have largely failed to live up to it for at least the last 5 years. They're not a bad airline by any means (I personally fly them more than any other), but they're also not really objectively better than the others anymore.

IMO, despite recent meltdowns Southwest is still riding on a reputation for low prices and high customer service that they earned years ago, but they have largely failed to live up to it for at least the last 5 years. They're not a bad airline by any means (I personally fly them more than any other), but they're also not really objectively better than the others anymore.
They definitely don't have low prices anymore. I've seen them be the same price as an airline like United or slightly more expensive. I've had better customer service with them than United, so I choose them unless United has a better schedule.

Free checked bags is Southwest's biggest perk but I never check a bag when using them so I don't use it personally.

My son is keeping a list of tail numbers. Despite a seventy or so legs on Delta, he has yet to fly the same plane more than once.
Has he flown the 757-200 tail N666DN? That’s the only tail number I didn’t like flying. Superstitious, but I worked it numerous times.

I was surprised they made a tail number using 666.

And all the air traffic control issues in the news lately aren't Boeing specific. Just lots of scary plane stories around these days.

Totally separate entity.

Don’t get me started - that belongs on the controversial topics page and I won’t even fathom that conversation because it isn’t kind and I full well know it won’t go over well.

Has he flown the 757-200 tail N666DN? That’s the only tail number I didn’t like flying. Superstitious, but I worked it numerous times.

I was surprised they made a tail number using 666.
He says no. Closest he has been on is 669.

Just received a text saying that because of an airplane change, my seat was moved to main cabin from comfort plus. And they left my daughter in comfort plus. Shouldn’t I get back the difference in cost?

Looks like she is in main canin also, as the new aircraft has just one row of comfort plus. I wonder why the aircraft has been changed. This is not helping my nerves.

Last edited:
Just received a text saying that because of an airplane change, my seat was moved to main cabin from comfort plus. And they left my daughter in comfort plus. Shouldn’t I get back the difference in cost?

Looks like she is in win cabin, too, as the new aircraft has just one row of comfort plus. I wonder why the aircraft has been changed. This is not helping my nerves.

You’re on the plane I was talking about in my earlier post (#34) the 737-900 acquired by Lion Air. I have been on those numerous times. Absolutely safe - nothing wrong with it, I just don’t like the one row of C+ and lack of in seat entertainment.

ATL was hit hard with weather delays today. Equipment swaps are normal. A pain for passengers and gate agents, but it beats waiting for the plane that was supposed to take that route and had to divert because of storms. Delta’s Operations Control Center is doing what it’s supposed to do to keep things running as smoothly as it can when Mother Nature wants to disrupt the system.

Yes, you absolutely should be compensated for the change. Send them a text.

You’re on the plane I was talking about in my earlier post (#34) the 737-900 acquired by Lion Air. I have been on those numerous times. Absolutely safe - nothing wrong with it, I just don’t like the one row of C+ and lack of in seat entertainment.

ATL was hit hard with weather delays today. Equipment swaps are normal. A pain for passengers and gate agents, but it beats waiting for the plane that was supposed to take that route and had to divert because of storms.

Yes, you absolutely should be compensated for the change. Send them a text.
Thank you. I am on hold with them now. I haven't texted them before. Will the compensation likely be in the form of an e-credit?

They moved my daughter to row 12 and me to row 17. I was going to see if she would be willing to take 17 but 12 is a window seat and I'm 6 feet tall so I'll stick with the aisle on 17. At least it's only MLB to ATL.

Thank you. I am on hold with them now. I haven't texted them before. Will the compensation likely be in the form of an e-credit?
Sorry, that I cannot tell you with certainty. I never worked in reservations.

If you have Twitter/X (I just use that for correspondence with companies because it’s almost always faster and easier than phone) click on Private Messsge and it will link you up with how to text. I just keep that text chain on my iMessages and go straight to it when I need to chat.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter